Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
dawneykids

I think my name is Mud!

It's appalling to me that penmanship isn't taught in school anymore. When I see my own sons handwriting, I'm shocked that his teachers can grade his work sometimes. Well, I've had it and have decided to make it my mission to teach him neat penmanship and cursive writing.

I've printed the entire cursive alphabet including words and practice paragraphs, made him a notebook and broke it him to that we were starting something new. He's tried to convince me that cursive won't benefit him throughout his life except for maybe needing a signature at some point, I listened to his arguement and then said, 'Well, I appreciate your opinion, but that's a load, you'll thank me one day, soooooo, we're starting this afternoon. Sharpen your pencil'.

So, that's why I think my name may be Mud. Do I care?? Not so much!! :lol: :lol:

Edited by momof 3
  • Like 2

that's what it's alllllll about. Even if...worst case scenario....you're making memories that he will never forget. :)

I hope so! And it's not the memory, 'OMG. I remember when my mom made me learn cursive'!! He's a good kid and at 12, he still likes me a lot, so I don't think we'll have too much of a problem. Fingers crossed. :)

It's appalling to me that penmanship isn't taught in school anymore. When I see my own sons handwriting, I'm shocked that his teachers can grade his work sometimes. Well, I've had it and have decided to make it my mission to teach him neat penmanship and cursive writing.

I've printed the entire cursive alphabet including words and practice paragraphs, made him a notebook and broke it him to that we were starting something new. He's tried to convince me that cursive won't benefit him throughout his life except for maybe needing a signature at some point, I listened to his arguement and then said, 'Well, I appreciate your opinion, but that's a load, you'll thank me one day, soooooo, we're starting this afternoon. Sharpen your pencil'.

So, that's why I think my name may be Mud. Do I care?? Not so much!! :lol: :lol:

He will NOT thank you someday, but you are still correct that this is something he needs.

He will NOT thank you someday, but you are still correct that this is something he needs.

Yea....not expecting that phone call in the future! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea....not expecting that phone call in the future! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My mother forced me to learn long division...I needed it...I still desire to smack her with a wiffle ball bat.

My mother forced me to learn long division...I needed it...I still desire to smack her with a wiffle ball bat.

We're drilling long division too because he's not good in math at all. GAD, he make not like me when he gets older!!

Edited by momof 3

Yeah, I had horribly mean parents who made us behave and learn things, etc. And we're the best of friends today. :)

Awesome of you to make him learn this!!!

• Like 2

Yeah, I had horribly mean parents who made us behave and learn things, etc. And we're the best of friends today. :)

Awesome of you to make him learn this!!!

:)

Good for you!

My handwriting is terrible and has been all my life.

In fact, I write like a 5 year old, that is a 5 year old that has a broken hand.

You go Mom!

Good for you!

My handwriting is terrible and has been all my life.

In fact, I write like a 5 year old, that is a 5 year old that has a broken hand.

You go Mom!

Thanks. I have all of his worksheets in a brand new notebook and he's done through 'f' and he's doing great already. I'm going to do the entire alphabet and then we'll start connecting the letters. I hope to show him that cursive is so much faster to takes notes in school or jot something down in a hurry, instead of writing each letter separately and lagging along.

I still feel VERY STRONGLY that this should still taught in school. Is it really a good idea not to have any kind of penmanship class after the 1st grade? Not in my world it's not.

Edited by momof 3
  • Like 1

Way to be proactive mama! Great job. :clapping:

Just realize if you do this that he can never be a doctor of any kind.

:rofl:

LOL!

I wonder should I take lessons?

Nah, I would hate to have momof3 using me as an example with her kids.

"See what happens to you if you don't learn cursive writing and good penmanship? Do you want to end up like stradial?"

"I thought not! Now get busy with your practice letters."

• Like 1

Can I send my 12-year-old to you too? It gripes me that spelling, penmanship, and punctuation aren't graded anymore and cursive isn't taught. I'm very close to buying the old-school lined papers that they used to make us use in kindergarten (you know, the solid lines at top and bottom and dashed lines in the middle) and try to teach him myself, but he's like yours and doesn't see the point. Good job!!

A while back I mentioned this. About a couple of years ago, I asked my grandson to sign something. He says "I can't write" and I said "What do you mean you can't write????". He said I never learned cursive, they don't teach it anymore. I was appalled and my mouth was open. How can you not write, everyone writes!!!! Well, not anymore. I asked him how in the world he took notes, and he said he prints. GAWD, that must take forever. So I taught him to write his name, and that summer we spent time with him learning to write.

The school system continues to amaze me. :fool:

• Like 1

I wonder should I take lessons?

Nah, I would hate to have momof3 using me as an example with her kids.

"See what happens to you if you don't learn cursive writing and good penmanship? Do you want to end up like stradial?"

"I thought not! Now get busy with your practice letters."

Or I could teach you too and we could turn it into a positive and say, 'See, look, I even taught him great penmanship'. I'm a true optimist.

• Like 1

Can I send my 12-year-old to you too? It gripes me that spelling, penmanship, and punctuation aren't graded anymore and cursive isn't taught. I'm very close to buying the old-school lined papers that they used to make us use in kindergarten (you know, the solid lines at top and bottom and dashed lines in the middle) and try to teach him myself, but he's like yours and doesn't see the point. Good job!!

That's what we have and the lessons I printed off of the computer are kindergarten worksheets, seriously. Kindergarten. The link is below is you want to look at it. Good luck!

http://www.k5learning.com/cursive-writing-worksheets/cursive-alphabet

A while back I mentioned this. About a couple of years ago, I asked my grandson to sign something. He says "I can't write" and I said "What do you mean you can't write????". He said I never learned cursive, they don't teach it anymore. I was appalled and my mouth was open. How can you not write, everyone writes!!!! Well, not anymore. I asked him how in the world he took notes, and he said he prints. GAWD, that must take forever. So I taught him to write his name, and that summer we spent time with him learning to write.

The school system continues to amaze me. :fool:

And one of the things that bothers me most is the fact that as they get older, they are required to 'sign' sheets at school pertaining to bullying, they have to 'sign' that they read the handbook, etc. How are they supposed to 'SIGN' anything without the knowledge to do so? It makes me crazy(er).

I was taught penmanship when I was a kid. The teacher would pick-out the best ones and put them up on a display in the classroom. A few time mine was up there and I STILL remember how proud I was. They should do that today in my opinion.

I was taught penmanship when I was a kid. The teacher would pick-out the best ones and put them up on a display in the classroom. A few time mine was up there and I STILL remember how proud I was. They should do that today in my opinion.

I agree. Compared to some of the idiot stuff they HAVE to learn, like 'modeling' in math for example, penmanship is a necessity. Here's a math problem, solve it and show your work, THEN draw stupid little blocks to show your answer again. WTH!

Good for you. Kids these days can barely read, let alone write. And, don't get me started on spelling.

Good for you. Kids these days can barely read, let alone write. And, don't get me started on spelling.

Luckily, he can spell really well. However, when my girls were in kindergarten, they started something called 'inventive spelling' and the rule was that a kid could spell any word, any way they wanted and we weren't allowed to correct them. Yea, screw that and I let them know real quick that I would in fact teach my kids to spell even if they weren't allowed to. That brilliant teaching skill lasted 2 years and then they realized how stupid it really was.

• Like 1

Luckily, he can spell really well. However, when my girls were in kindergarten, they started something called 'inventive spelling' and the rule was that a kid could spell any word, any way they wanted and we weren't allowed to correct them. Yea, screw that and I let them know real quick that I would in fact teach my kids to spell even if they weren't allowed to. That brilliant teaching skill lasted 2 years and then they realized how stupid it really was.

Yup, as brilliant as "new math" which was an abysmal failure.

• Like 1

next math will not be needed as we have computers to compute the answer

I remember when they started the Phonics and non of the kids could spell...No spelling bees for them

We are right there with you. I explained that if he didn't learn cursive it would be just like Egyptian hieroglyphs. Just because we are told that a picture means something doesn't mean it's true. But, because we can't read it, we have to take the "experts" word for it.

I asked him wouldn't you like to be able to read the Constitution? How bout the letters from your dad that he sent home when he was in Vietnam? When I put it to him that way, he is ready to learn.

I'm used to being the mean one. :p :lol:

We are right there with you. I explained that if he didn't learn cursive it would be just like Egyptian hieroglyphs. Just because we are told that a picture means something doesn't mean it's true. But, because we can't read it, we have to take the "experts" word for it.

I asked him wouldn't you like to be able to read the Constitution? How bout the letters from your dad that he sent home when he was in Vietnam? When I put it to him that way, he is ready to learn.

I'm used to being the mean one. :p :lol:

I never even thought about that, it's a great point!!!!! Thank you, I now have more ammo in my belt. But to be fair to him, he got off the bus this afternoon and went right to work. He realized very quickly that most of the letters are the same as the printed ones and the biggest thing he needed to learn was how to connect them. 'This isn't hard Mom, why don't we learn this in school'? He gets it and he's 12. Ya' hear that whoever makes up the curriculum??????????????

• Like 2