Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Dallas Bigfoot

Need Home Inspector

I am not a fan of home inspectors. I'm sure there are some who are good; but most of the ones I have been involved with were clueless. Many of them are trained only to hit the high points. As a general rule, they are not licensed in the trades (HVAC, electrical, plumbing, etc).

If there are concerns; I recommend that you get actual tradesmen who are licensed in their field to inspect and advise. I have seen home inspectors get it wrong many times. I am a licensed professional, BTW.

And home warranties are not worth the money you spend on them. Warranty companies typically use the bottom of the barrel when it comes to repair people. Reason being...they don't pay well and only the repair people desperate for work will fool with them. And they have cleaver wording in their contracts that gets them around covering lots of things.

Amerispec is awesome 770-445-1964 Tim Maxwell

I recommended Tim to a couple of my old bosses (Cobb County attorneys) and they were VERY pleased with his work.

I am not a fan of home inspectors. I'm sure there are some who are good; but most of the ones I have been involved with were clueless. Many of them are trained only to hit the high points. As a general rule, they are not licensed in the trades (HVAC, electrical, plumbing, etc).

If there are concerns; I recommend that you get actual tradesmen who are licensed in their field to inspect and advise. I have seen home inspectors get it wrong many times. I am a licensed professional, BTW.

And home warranties are not worth the money you spend on them. Warranty companies typically use the bottom of the barrel when it comes to repair people. Reason being...they don't pay well and only the repair people desperate for work will fool with them. And they have cleaver wording in their contracts that gets them around covering lots of things.

A. Thank you for your opinion. However, it was not in reply to what I was seeking.

B. I have no intention of getting a Home Warranty. They're a joke.

C. If I have to, I'll pay my dad to come up and do it for me. He's done ALL the trades for 60 years. But I'd rather save him the 9-hour drive.

Considering the home inspection that was done on our house in Powder Springs, I agree 100% with you. This guy was totally clueless. He was not familiar with the drain of the bathtubs and said they were missing stoppers. They were not. They worked fine, too. He said something about the outlets were not grounded. Pretty sure it would not have passed inspection back in 1976 if it was not wired correctly. He couldn't look at the sticker on the brand new water heater to see it was new and said it was about 10 years old and had met or exceeded the life expectancy. He said a HVAC system that was about 4 years old was nearly 20.

If I remember correctly, we identified a dozen points he made in the inspection where he was absolutely, completely wrong. The water heater and the bathtub stoppers were the two worst ones.

As to warranties, my daughter and son in law got one when they bought their house. The bank that owned the house provided it. It was well worth having, too. It would have been worth them paying for it at closing. For $79, I think, they had an electrician come out and fix a problem with the wiring in the living room. They also had a leak under the sink that was repaired under the home warranty. But in general, I agree with you on that, too, that they are not worth it. I did a tax return for a couple this past year who had a home warranty and it did seem to be worthwhile for them. First time I'd ever known one to pay off, kind of like an extended warranty on an appliance.