23 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Dis

Mr.Dis

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Let's see how fast I can lay this out. Wife took a job with a small company. She was employee 6. They have fired 3. They produce nothing but resale a very common and needed item. So she is basically a paper pusher / coordinator. She was in the process of setting up operations in a new state. So it is now owner, manager and her. She got a 10% raise. 2 weeks or so later she got around 15 - 20 % more. Told you are doing great keep it up. 2 days later the owner is inquiring about how long till we go live in new state. About 2 weeks. I need it earlier. So there is a reasonable discussion about what is going on and issues involved. A little later the manager comes over and asks of there is anything going on at home causing a distraction. Amazingly for us no not at the moment. Well go home and get your head straight. And she gets sent home on leave with no pay. They say she is still employed but asked for her laptop back and had her clean out her stuff. There were absolutely no counseling sessions or reprimands given. They still say nothing about reasoning but state we want to make sure that when you come back you are not making errors. What errors? None cited. No separation papers given. When asked when do I come back they ( owner and manager ) only say we don't know.

I understand that Georgia is a right to work state but dang... Don't we have a right to know what is going on? This has me totally befuddled. If she screwed up you would at least think they could tell her what it was.
Mr. Dis offers Professional, Reliable lawn care for all of your home's needs. Please PM for a free Quote.

I'm a Uber Hottie... LGM say's so...

I hearby give credit to the Phoenicians for the Phoenician alphabet in all my writings on PCOM

#2 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

How long did she work there? There is a minimum number of weeks you must work before you are eligible for unemployment. I think it's 20 weeks (it used to be at least).

And unless she/you are really desperate for the income, if it were me I would never again darken their doors. And if I never darkened their doors again and I wasn't there long, I would omit that job from a resume. If they screwed her while she worked there, you can only imagine what they might do if they were called for a reference.

One thing I don't and won't tolerate is an employer screwing me over about money. I'll go out of my way to give an employer more than they pay me for but hell if I'll do it and then get stiffed. In fact, I'm not a happy camper about my new job. This is my fourth week and so far I've gotten paid for one--the first one. If I don't get paid for several on March 14, I won't be back to work on March 17.

<br />Let's see how fast I can lay this out. Wife took a job with a small company. She was employee 6. They have fired 3. They produce nothing but resale a very common and needed item. So she is basically a paper pusher / coordinator. She was in the process of setting up operations in a new state. So it is now owner, manager and her. She got a 10% raise. 2 weeks or so later she got around 15 - 20  % more.  Told you are doing great keep it up. 2 days later the owner is inquiring about how long till we go live in new state.  About 2 weeks. I need it earlier. So there is a reasonable discussion about what is going on and issues involved. A little later the manager comes over and asks of there is anything going on at home causing a distraction. Amazingly for us no not at the moment.  Well go home and get your head straight. And she gets sent home on leave with no pay. They say she is still employed but asked for her laptop back and had her clean out her stuff. There were absolutely no counseling sessions or reprimandes given. They still say nothing about reasoning but state we want to make sure that when you come back you are not making errors. What errors? None cited. No separation papers given. When asked when doin come back they ( owner and manager ) only say we don't know.<br /><br />I understand that Georgia is a right to work state but dang... Don't we have a right to know what is going on? This has me totally befuddled. If she screwed up you would at least think they could tell her what it was.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

In loving memory of Mason (December 1, 2001 to December 9, 2001) and Ashley  Jr. (December 1, 2001 to December 2, 2001

n7C4m5.png

Indsm6.png

#3 Mr.Dis

Mr.Dis

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

How long did she work there? There is a minimum number of weeks you must work before you are eligible for unemployment. I think it's 20 weeks (it used to be at least).

And unless she/you are really desperate for the income, if it were me I would never again darken their doors. And if I never darkened their doors again and I wasn't there long, I would omit that job from a resume. If they screwed her while she worked there, you can only imagine what they might do if they were called for a reference.

One thing I don't and won't tolerate is an employer screwing me over about money. I'll go out of my way to give an employer more than they pay me for but hell if I'll do it and then get stiffed. In fact, I'm not a happy camper about my new job. This is my fourth week and so far I've gotten paid for one--the first one. If I don't get paid for several on March 14, I won't be back to work on March 17.

<br /><br /><br />

She has been working steady for 2 years but only 60 days for them. They as of right now havent stiffed her but they truly seembto lack management skills. I think they may be having a cash flow problem and do not want to have to pay her. That is fine as well but they should just tell her she is layerd off.
Mr. Dis offers Professional, Reliable lawn care for all of your home's needs. Please PM for a free Quote.

I hearby give credit to the Phoenicians for the Phoenician alphabet in all my writings on PCOM

#4 SusieQ404

SusieQ404

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

I don't know your wife so please don't take this too personally. I'm thinking of this from the viewpoint of my own personal experience. I learned long ago that there are two sides to every story. I've been bitten before when I jumped to believe a story the person was telling me. Only later did I find out that I only got half of it. So, are you sure you have the whole story with no holes and nothing left out? Granted it does sound strange that they've cut their entire staff. When they cut it to 50% it definitely would have have grabbed my attention and set my warning bells ringing.

#5 All I Hear is Blah Blah Blah

All I Hear is Blah Blah Blah

Don't make me stamp you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,192 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Unfortunately anything you try would be a waste of time. Given the recent raises they would have a hard time getting unemployment denied. I would force their and file for it asap...

#6 Mr.Dis

Mr.Dis

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

I don't know your wife so please don't take this too personally. I'm thinking of this from the viewpoint of my own personal experience. I learned long ago that there are two sides to every story. I've been bitten before when I jumped to believe a story the person was telling me. Only later did I find out that I only got half of it. So, are you sure you have the whole story with no holes and nothing left out? Granted it does sound strange that they've cut their entire staff. When they cut it to 50% it definitely would have have grabbed my attention and set my warning bells ringing.

I understand your point quite well. And I have been quite blunt in my fact finding with her. She knows me well enough to know that I do not just accept crazy stories or a lack of info. At this point I believe what she is telling me especially in light of the pay raises which I DoD see on her checks. So unless she committed some act that justifies immediately intervention from them and she just is refusing to tell me, I will have to say I believe the facts are at least very close to what I stated. But there could be something going on that she refuses to acknowledge. And no offense taken by your comment at all.

Unfortunately anything you try would be a waste of time. Given the recent raises they would have a hard time getting unemployment denied. I would force their and file for it asap...

We are doing that. I personally would be very skeptical about returning to work there without a very good explanation from them as to what happened.

#7 Danaerys

Danaerys

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

I will say this, I ran into the same issue last year from Oct-Feb including the raise, no issues, and no separation papers. Some companies just do this and I would not hesitate to guess they will not have her back. File for unemployment.

#8 Mr.Dis

Mr.Dis

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

So we file for UI and get it. Say even just a week of leave without pay. They then ask her back. What happens if she declines theb offer to return to work citing a lack of trust. What happens then.

#9 All I Hear is Blah Blah Blah

Don't make me stamp you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,192 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

So we file for UK and get it. Say even just a week of leave without pay. They then ask her back. What happens if she declines theb offer to return to work citing a lack of trust. What happens then.

She loses unemployment...

#10 Danaerys

Danaerys

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

So we file for UI and get it. Say even just a week of leave without pay. They then ask her back. What happens if she declines theb offer to return to work citing a lack of trust. What happens then.

As far as I know she would lose it. But I would ask DOL, there might be a clause about such things.

#11 Mr.Dis

Mr.Dis

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

She loses unemployment...

That would be my assumption but I do know that you can quit given an acceptable set of circumstances. In this case how can you trust the employer to treat you in a normal manner. I seems like you would always be susceptible to these capricious random acts and it would be better to continue a job search elsewhere. Not arguing, just thinking.

#12 All I Hear is Blah Blah Blah

Don't make me stamp you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,192 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

That would be my assumption but I do know that you can quit given an acceptable set of circumstances. In this case how can you trust the employer to treat you in a normal manner. I seems like you would always be susceptible to these capricious random acts and it would be better to continue a job search elsewhere. Not arguing, just thinking.

The unemployment office is a strange animal and very inconsistent. .. what they deny for one person the next person they approve so it would be worth a shot. But it no doubt would be a very long shot.

#13 Danaerys

Danaerys

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

Have her call them or visit them tomorrow and ask. That way you can get a definitive answer.

#14 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

60 days isn't long enough to qualify for unemployment. I'd chalk it up as experience and move on, a bit wiser from the experience.

<br />She has been working steady for 2 years but only 60 days for them. They as of right now havent stiffed her but they truly seembto lack management skills. I think they may be having a cash flow problem and do not want to have to pay her. That is fine as well but they should just tell her she is layerd off.<br />

I hope she keeps in mind the old adage, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

<br />I understand your point quite well. And I have been quite blunt in my fact finding with her. She knows me well enough to know that I do not just accept crazy stories or a lack of info. At this point I believe what she is telling me especially in light of the pay raises which I DoD see on her checks. So unless she committed some act that justifies immediately intervention from them and she just is refusing to tell me, I will have to say I believe the facts are at least very close to what I stated. But there could be something going on that she refuses to acknowledge. And no offense taken by your comment at all.<br /><br /><br /><br />We are doing that. I personally would be very skeptical about returning to work there without a very good explanation from them as to what happened.<br />

I wondered if it was the same place.

;)

/>I will say this, I ran into the same issue last year from Oct-Feb including the raise, no issues, and no separation papers.  Some companies just do this and I would not hesitate to guess they will not have her back.  File for unemployment.

In loving memory of Mason (December 1, 2001 to December 9, 2001) and Ashley  Jr. (December 1, 2001 to December 2, 2001

n7C4m5.png

Indsm6.png

#15 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

60 days isn't long enough to qualify for unemployment. I'd chalk it up as experience and move on, a bit wiser from the experience.

She's been working for two straight years, so yes she can. It doesn't matter who her current employer is as long as she was previously employed and had been for a certain amount of time.

Also, something similar (not like this, but was out on leave for two weeks) happened to my aunt, and she was able to collect on this two weeks. She did to back when she was called back, but she did get UEB for those two weeks. BUT, that was in TN and about two years ago.

#16 Mr.Dis

Mr.Dis

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

She's been working for two straight years, so yes she can. It doesn't matter who her current employer is as long as she was previously employed and had been for a certain amount of time.

Also, something similar (not like this, but was out on leave for two weeks) happened to my aunt, and she was able to collect on this two weeks. She did to back when she was called back, but she did get UEB for those two weeks. BUT, that was in TN and about two years ago.

That is the way I understand it as well.

#17 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

That's certainly true IF she left the other job(s) due to a layoff. If she left them for any other reason that would make her ineligible to draw from a prior employer, she wouldn't be eligible to draw now. And she wouldn't be drawing on the current employer's account.

My SIL went through this when the restaurant where he had worked for just a couple of weeks closed down. He filed because he had been working long enough at the previous job to qualify. But he quit that job to take the one in the restaurant that closed, so he was ineligible to draw even though he had worked there plenty long enough. His employment did not end due to a layoff. If Mrs. Dis is in this same position, she would not be eligible for unemployment either.

Never hurts to file. Sounds like she has plenty of time on her hands to go to the unemployment office and wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.

<br />She's been working for two straight years, so yes she can. It doesn't matter who her current employer is as long as she was previously employed and had been for a certain amount of time.<br /><br />Also, something similar (not like this, but was out on leave for two weeks) happened to my aunt, and she was able to collect on this two weeks. She did to back when she was called back, but she did get UEB for those two weeks. BUT, that was in TN and about two years ago.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

n7C4m5.png

Indsm6.png

#18 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

That is the way I understand it as well.

It will not draw off of her "current" employer, but the previous one. It only matters how/why she is unemployed *now*. I.e. why her "current" employer let her go. It does not matter if she left her last employer or was laid off before taking this job.

Tell her to go to Cedertown as soon as it opens.

Edited by MrsB, 05 March 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#19 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

<br />Let's see how fast I can lay this out. Wife took a job with a small company. She was employee 6. They have fired 3. They produce nothing but resale a very common and needed item. So she is basically a paper pusher / coordinator. She was in the process of setting up operations in a new state. So it is now owner, manager and her. She got a 10% raise. 2 weeks or so later she got around 15 - 20  % more.  Told you are doing great keep it up. 2 days later the owner is inquiring about how long till we go live in new state.  About 2 weeks. I need it earlier. So there is a reasonable discussion about what is going on and issues involved. A little later the manager comes over and asks of there is anything going on at home causing a distraction. Amazingly for us no not at the moment.  Well go home and get your head straight. And she gets sent home on leave with no pay. They say she is still employed but asked for her laptop back and had her clean out her stuff. There were absolutely no counseling sessions or reprimands given. They still say nothing about reasoning but state we want to make sure that when you come back you are not making errors. What errors? None cited. No separation papers given. When asked when do I come back they ( owner and manager ) only say we don't know.<br /><br />I understand that Georgia is a right to work state but dang... Don't we have a right to know what is going on? This has me totally befuddled. If she screwed up you would at least think they could tell her what it was.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Sounds to me like she did what was asked of her, they used her and now that their new venture is about to take off, they're booting her. People suck.

#20 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:29 AM

It is a numbers game. Since our worthless leader pushed his agenda on American businesses there are a few con artist types that are trying to beat the system. New taxes, health care and unemployment issues are likely at the bottom of this story.
Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

#21 All I Hear is Blah Blah Blah

Don't make me stamp you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,192 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

<br />It will not draw off of her &quot;current&quot; employer, but the previous one. It only matters how/why she is unemployed *now*. I.e. why her &quot;current&quot; employer let her go. It does not matter if she left her last employer or was laid off before taking this job.<br /><br />Tell her to go to Cedertown as soon as it opens.<br />

<br /><br /><br />
Exactamundo! We have had a few people quit to leave and go to another company only to see them on our claims list a few weeks later... It's pretty irritating that we didn't even get a notice or hearing, just bam, claims against our number....

#22 petshopboys

petshopboys

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

So tell us the company so we don't buy from the quack.
  • Starr & Dru's Nana likes this

#23 Mr.Dis

Mr.Dis

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

Sorry will not give out the name right now. I will say that unless you are a business you will likely not deal with them.

As far as who is responsible for the UIB and qualifying it is defined this way on page 5 of the book. You have to earn a certain amount for benifits and they look back 4 quarters to see your average wages. Seperation is determined by why you were let go from your most recent employer who is defined as the last employer who was required to pay unemployment insurance on your behalf. It is possible for your last employer to not be the most recent if the last was not required to pay insurance on your behalf.

#24 Stonewall

Stonewall

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

The OP has already been stated that this is a right to work state. This appears to be a small business with less than 10 employees so basically they can hire and fire as they please for whatever reason they please. The exception being violations of federal/state employment laws such as discrimination. The employer however cannot leave her in "limbo" either she is an employee or not. She can force their hand by contacting the state labor commissioner's office. As for UI she can certainly file and let them decide on eligibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics