Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
MissSophie

Car problems

Every time I take my car into my current garage person; he comes back with a list of additional things that should be done. I want to be safe; but this is every time. Don't know what to do. My sister now needs a mechanic and I am not sure we should go back to this same person.

Help??

I need a trustworthy mechanic, too!! My check engine light is on, and I took my care to Precision Tune on Austell Road because they are on my way home from work, and they always to my oil changes. They've done minor stuff, too. Well--over $500.00 later, a diagnostic that was never done, and two "repairs" that I didn't need, the check engine light is still on. I took it to a place in Douglasville on Monday, and they couldn't get to it that day, so they referred me to a website where I found a place that is supposedly certified in emission repair. I left the car there this afternoon so that they can fix it tomorrow. I still don't know what's wrong with it. Supposedly, running diagnostics on a 2001 Ford Explorer cannot pinpoint the problem because the compute system is not sophisticated enough.

If anyone knows of a good mechanic that is reasonably priced and won't take advantage of a woman, please post. I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs a good, reputable mechanic.

I need a trustworthy mechanic, too!! My check engine light is on, and I took my care to Precision Tune on Austell Road because they are on my way home from work, and they always to my oil changes. They've done minor stuff, too. Well--over $500.00 later, a diagnostic that was never done, and two "repairs" that I didn't need, the check engine light is still on. I took it to a place in Douglasville on Monday, and they couldn't get to it that day, so they referred me to a website where I found a place that is supposedly certified in emission repair. I left the car there this afternoon so that they can fix it tomorrow. I still don't know what's wrong with it. Supposedly, running diagnostics on a 2001 Ford Explorer cannot pinpoint the problem because the compute system is not sophisticated enough.

If anyone knows of a good mechanic that is reasonably priced and won't take advantage of a woman, please post. I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs a good, reputable mechanic.

you can get a repair waiver if you have spent more than 855.00

http://www.cleanairforce.com/motorists/waivers-extensions-exemptions/repair-waivers/

Donnie's Automotive - PM me for contact info- Hiram Sudie Rd. @ Hwy 92.

Edited by Aunt Bea
to remove contact information for non-commerce member referral

Years ago when my PT Cruiser ran out of warranty and I had to have work done, I found an individual instead of Dallas Dodge.  Good Lord, talk about them coming out and telling you everything that's wrong with your car. I can't stand Dallas Dodge.

Anyway, I used Nick on Rosedale behind the Home Depot.  I was always pleased with the work he did, he was fair and never "found" other things wrong with the car.

It's been a couple of years since I used him because I got a new car, but you could certainly take your car by and he'll tell you what's wrong and how much it will cost up front.

Good Luck. And I hate dealing with a car repairman just as bad as a car salesman. 

PM me for contact info.

Edited by Aunt Bea
  • Like 1

My husband is a mechanic -- He has been working with a close by county government for almost 20 years -- he does work on the side -- If you are interested please send me a PM on here and i will have him call you -- he does brakes for a really reasonable price -- most of the time he will ask you to purchase the parts and he will only charge you labor -- and it's lower than most labor rates around! Thanks!

I recommend Vinnie Marotti. Marotti Auto Repair on Mae Drive, just above the East Paulding / Mt Tabor intersection.

Vinnie is the most honest mechanic I ever met.

Donnie's Automotive - 770-439-2600 - Hiram Sudie Rd. @ Hwy 92.

I agree to this.

Also ford explorers are money pits. Ive had mine for 5 years (a 2003)and its spent more time in the shop than ive actually driven it. Its currently in the shop getting a new transmission for the 2nd time in a year!!!!!!! Been there for over a month now. As soon as I get it back and get my return I am trading it in. I will never own a ford again.

Edited by xxiseestarzxx

<br />I recommend Vinnie Marotti. Marotti Auto Repair on Mae Drive, just above the East Paulding / Mt Tabor intersection. <br />Vinnie is the most honest mechanic I ever met.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I've heard a lot of people recommend him.

I agree to this.

Also ford explorers are money pits. Ive had mine for 5 years (a 2003)and its spent more time in the shop than ive actually driven it. Its currently in the shop getting a new transmission for the 2nd time in a year!!!!!!! Been there for over a month now. As soon as I get it back and get my return I am trading it in. I will never own a ford again.

Mine is a 2004 Ford Explorer with 110,000 miles and I have not had to do anything (so far) but standard stuff like oil changes, tires, brakes etc. (We bought it new) I guess I have been blessed with this one.

I had forgotten about him. He is one I would HIGHLY recommend as well.

Donnie's Automotive - 770-439-2600 - Hiram Sudie Rd. @ Hwy 92.

Repair places rub their hands together in glee when they see me coming.  Vic Williams or Pee Wee at Master Flow have helped me out because they both have been very, very fair with me.

Transmissions by Joe- Dallas , Johnson Automotive- Rockmart. Joe does general repair not only transmissions. There is one that gets mentioned in this thread that I would avoid he is located near Tractor Supply, nuff said.

Years ago I went to Precision Tune in Smyrna to get a tune up. Car ran rough by the time I got it home to Powder Springs. It would go dead on me at stop signs. This went on for several days until finally my husband got a chance to take a look at the car. He's no auto mechanic but he knows his way around mechanical stuff. He took one look at the car and knew exactly why it wasn't running right. Precision Tune had forgotten to connect the vacuum lines! They were just let dangling. Once he connected the lines, about three of them I think, the car ran fine and never again gave problems. I'm sure it was a "mistake" on their part.

Since that if I'm not comfortable with the mechanic and feel like they are trying to take advantage of me because I'm a woman, I won't go back and have been known to leave. I grew up around cars, took auto mechanics in high school and like I said my husband is no auto mechanic but he knows mechanical stuff. We just can't afford the beer for him to work on cars. :)

I need a trustworthy mechanic, too!!  My check engine light is on, and I took my care to Precision Tune on Austell Road because they are on my way home from work, and they always to my oil changes.  They've done minor stuff, too.  Well--over $500.00 later, a diagnostic that was never done, and two "repairs" that I didn't need, the check engine light is still on.  I took it to a place in Douglasville on Monday, and they couldn't get to it that day, so they referred me to a website where I found a place that is supposedly certified in emission repair.  I left the car there this afternoon so that they can fix it tomorrow.  I still don't know what's wrong with it.  Supposedly, running diagnostics on a 2001 Ford Explorer cannot pinpoint the problem because the compute system is not sophisticated enough.

If anyone knows of a good mechanic that is reasonably priced and won't take advantage of a woman, please post.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs a good, reputable mechanic.

Mine is a 2004 Ford Explorer with 110,000 miles and I have not had to do anything (so far) but standard stuff like oil changes, tires, brakes etc. (We bought it new) I guess I have been blessed with this one.

Mine has 170,000 miles on it due to many emergency trips as well as vacations to swfl. But ive also owned two other Ford's. Both were 95 ford Taurus was my first car when I was 16 and another one three years later. Both of them lasted a year and the transmission went out. I know its not how I drive lol I dont drive my car to the ground and I do the regular oil changes and fluid checks and what not. The second one I had before it went out also had a belt break twice. This ford explorer also needs the entire rear end replaced it makes funny noises when I back up or turn the wheel. The only other car ive owned was a 96 Honda civic. Best car ever! Never had a problem with it. Someone rear ended someone behind me and she hit me and I hit the car in front of me. I cried more so because my car was totalled then my pain from my injuries lol. I plan on going with another honda.

<br />Vic Williams Tire and Auto.<br />

They are the ONLY people I trust with my vehicles. PM me for contact info.

<br />Repair places rub their hands together in glee when they see me coming.  Vic Williams or Pee Wee at Master Flow have helped me out because they both have been very, very fair with me.<br />

Yep! Can't recommend either one higher!!

Edited by Aunt Bea

I agree to this.

You get some good ones and you get some bad ones with every brand and model.

I bought a new Explorer when they came out in 1990 or 1991. Great vehicle.

I traded it in 1995 because I liked the new body style. It was junk. It stayed in the shop so long that Ford swapped it out for a new 1996. The 1996 was great.

I traded tge 1996 for a 1997 Mustang GT. I loved that car.

When my wife's knees went bad we traded the Mustang for a 2000 Explorer because it was easier for her to get in and out of. 2000 was in the deepest time of the Explorer / Firestone roll over nightmare. We got a great deal. We got new tires at 10,000 miles and it was a great vehicle.

We traded it with 140,000 miles for a 2011 Explorer and love it.

If you live on the North end of the county, I'd recommend Kam's in Acworth. I have a friend who is an ASE certified mechanic down in South GA and there are some repairs that I just haven't had the time or ability to drive my vehicle down to him to work on. I decided to give Kam's a try and, with each repair, I've mentioned them to my buddy and he has said that what they charged and what they diagnosed has always been fair and sounded correct. They run their business very well with emails, phonecalls, and such...very professionally run shop.

mrnn

<br />I recommend Vinnie Marotti. Marotti Auto Repair on Mae Drive, just above the East Paulding / Mt Tabor intersection. <br />Vinnie is the most honest mechanic I ever met.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Vinnie. Hands down.

I have been trading with Vinnie for about 4 years, taking personal, kids and business vehicles to him.

Before being referred to Vinnie I went to another shop in our community for several years.

I had a 2000 Explorer and 2000 F150. Both started using oil. I would check the oil in both at 1,500 miles and both would be 1 quart low. I assumed with the mileage on both they were burning oil.

One Friday I went in for an oil change and they were on vacation. So I went to a quickly oil change place. Amazingly at 1,500 miles my oil was not low.

Since going to Vinnie none of my vehicles use oil. That 2000 F150, I gave it to my son. It now has 200,000+ miles, Vinnie still services it, it still does not burn oil.

in the past 18nyears I have used Donnie's Auto, Marotti, Vic Williams, all of them are GREAT People.:good:

For the past few years I have been using Maxxium Auto.... Jimmy and the Gang are the BOMB!!!=@

if you would like there number just ask.

<br />Mine is a 2004 Ford Explorer with 110,000 miles and I have not had to do anything (so far) but standard stuff like oil changes, tires, brakes etc. (We bought it new) I guess I have been blessed with this one.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Mine is a 2003 with just shy of 300K miles on it. I can't imagine what's wrong with yours. Mine just goes like a champ.

We use CMF Motorsports in Douglasville. Two amazing guys that support their families and two apprentices (which I happen to know both apprentices - one is an Eagle Scout).PM if you'd like their contact info.

I am happy with Dallas Tire for minor things. If it is beyond them, I use the Auto Repair shop on Hwy. 61 between 278 and PCHS. I have had great results with them.

Repair places rub their hands together in glee when they see me coming.  Vic Williams or Pee Wee at Master Flow have helped me out because they both have been very, very fair with me.

You know my old buddy Pee Wee?

I am happy with Dallas Tire for minor things. If it is beyond them, I use the Auto Repair shop on Hwy. 61 between 278 and PCHS. I have had great results with them.

For tires hands down Dallas Tire. :good:

Mine has 170,000 miles on it due to many emergency trips as well as vacations to swfl. But ive also owned two other Ford's. Both were 95 ford Taurus was my first car when I was 16 and another one three years later. Both of them lasted a year and the transmission went out. I know its not how I drive lol I dont drive my car to the ground and I do the regular oil changes and fluid checks and what not. The second one I had before it went out also had a belt break twice. This ford explorer also needs the entire rear end replaced it makes funny noises when I back up or turn the wheel. The only other car ive owned was a 96 Honda civic. Best car ever! Never had a problem with it. Someone rear ended someone behind me and she hit me and I hit the car in front of me. I cried more so because my car was totalled then my pain from my injuries lol. I plan on going with another honda.

I had a Toyota years ago that I loved like that and was in a wreck.

Back then they wouldn't total the car even though it had a cracked frame that they said could be welded. It never drove right again and the brakes on the front left side had to be replaced quite often.

I loved that little car.

Brad at Mainstream Auto PM me for contact info(corner of Bobo Road and Mt Tabor Church). I have 239,000 on my Escape and it runs beautifully because of regular maintenance with Brad. It did need a new transmission last week. Dropped the car off on a Sunday, tranny was there Monday morning (from Jasper Engines & Transmissions) and the car was done Tuesday afternoon UNDER BUDGET. He also works on my diesel Chevy 3500 Dually pick up.

Edited by Aunt Bea

I've used some of the ones listed here, and have had mixed success with all of them-sometimes they were good, and sometimes they weren't.

Even had one of the most named here actually send the police over to my house to check for my vehicle being a stolen vehicle????? I couldn't understand why, until I remembered that I had made a comment (it was obviously a joke!!!) that the car was the only good thing I got out of my ex-husband, so maybe he stole it, because he was so cheap (or something to that effect, because he never got me anything of value-he paid the down payment, and I made all the other payments)It was a real surprise when 2 dectives showed up-i provided the paperwork, and they laughed it off-I didn't think it was so funny though!!!! ...and, he never did a great job on my car anyway!

After much trial and error, I found C&G automotive-the owner is Marty-I get wonderful service there-he's fast, through, and I never have those suspicious "break downs" right after I go, necessitating another repair, like I did with the two big dealers in the area. They are located near the Sherriffs dept off Dallas Acworth hghy-PM me for contact info. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed. He is fair, deals well with his woman clients well ( another thing the others don't do well-great with the guys, but treat the women differently, if you know what I mean), and his prices are very reasonable. I wouldn't reccommend anyone else-I tried most of them, and this is the only one I use now.

Edited by Aunt Bea

Every time I take my car into my current garage person; he comes back with a list of additional things that should be done. I want to be safe; but this is every time. Don't know what to do. My sister now needs a mechanic and I am not sure we should go back to this same person.

Help??

Sounds like the chain, Americas Service Station.

Dallas Tire is awesome. We will never go anywhere else for tires.

For mechanics, we like Donnies. He's a good guy.

<br />I agree to this.  <br /><br /><br /><br /> Also ford explorers are money pits.  Ive had mine for 5 years (a 2003)and its spent more time in the shop than ive actually driven it.  Its currently in the shop getting a new transmission for the 2nd time in a year!!!!!!!   Been there for over a month now.  As soon as I get it back and get my return I am trading it in.  I will never own a ford again.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Mine has never given me any trouble at all!! Other than oil changes, tires, tune-ups, etc., I've not spent anything on it and it's got 244,000 miles on it. The problem turned out to be that when Precision Tune replaced the intake gasket, they only replaced one of two gasgets. Got it done this morning and the car is running great. No check engine light!! I have to let it run through a cycle before I can get it inspected again, but I should be able to have it done tomorrow.

<br />I have been trading with Vinnie for about 4 years, taking personal, kids and business vehicles to him. <br /><br />Before being referred to Vinnie I went to another shop in our community for several years. <br /><br />I had a 2000 ExplorI would check the oil in both at 1,500 miles and both would be 1 quart low.er and 2000 F150. Both started using oil. I assumed with the mileage on both they were burning oil. <br /><br />One Friday I went in for an oil change and they were on vacation. So I went to a quickly oil change place. Amazingly at 1,500 miles my oil was not low. <br /><br />Since going to Vinnie none of my vehicles use oil. That 2000 F150, I gave it to my son. It now has 200,000+ miles, Vinnie still services it, it still does not burn oil.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

hmmm ~ wonder if this oil change place is in Hiram? We have one that we use (due to kids school) and EVERYTIME I take my suburban there, my oil light comes on at about 1500....check oil and I have to add. I called and complained to them, and they insist it's not them. No oil leak, no issues elsewhere. Go figure

I've had good results with Priest Auto with both work vehicles and personal vehicles. I have been using them for years. They've been good to me considering results and fees.

• Like 1

I used a mobile mechanic dude after being raped time after time by pepboys. He took my head (I think that is what it is called) and replaced a lifter for me as well as clean it real good, refill my compressor and put synthetic oil in my car for $300 labor plus parts. my car is now running AMAZING!!!!!! let me know if you want his number. he only charges $50 per hour vs 100+ per hour and does DAMN good work!!!

plus he comes to you and will NOT charge to look at it for you.

Edited by Davis

<br /><br /><br />

hmmm ~ wonder if this oil change place is in Hiram? We have one that we use (due to kids school) and EVERYTIME I take my suburban there, my oil light comes on at about 1500....check oil and I have to add. I called and complained to them, and they insist it's not them. No oil leak, no issues elsewhere. Go figure

I will not say Hiram or not, I will not name the shop because I do not wish to hurt a local business. If they were to close I would be happy to name them after closing.

In the future I would suggest you check the oil before pulling away immediately after paying them. I now wish I had of been initially checking the oil before 1,500 miles instead of after 1,500 miles.