Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Christine0402

Kitten Help

A few weeks ago, I rescued a stray kitten that was walking in my yard. It was freezing cold out and she only appeared to be 3 months old. I brought her in and she is happy as can be.

My problem is that the kitten has TORN me to shreds. I am scratched, scarred, bleeding, and bitten. One set of the scratches on my left lower leg even appears to be infected. I know that some of this behavior is typical of kittens (I've had several cats over the years) but this just seems excessive. She can't go 5 seconds without attacking me in some way. She even crawls up my back when I'm sitting and grabs a mouthful of hair from my scalp and tries to yank it out!

Do you have any advice on how to stop (or lessen) this bad behavior? Any tried and true "training" methods? Water gun? Jar of pennies? Putting her out is not an option! We will be getting her spayed shortly, and I know that will help to calm her down, but I need something to help in the meantime. I'm desperate. This is causing me to not even want to interact with her. I don't heal well and some of these cuts/scars are really bad. I look like I've been in a knife fight. Seriously.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe get her a scratching post? Also since she was outside you may want to see a dr about the infected scratch. That doesn't sound good. Declawing is also an option.

A few weeks ago, I rescued a stray kitten that was walking in my yard. It was freezing cold out and she only appeared to be 3 months old. I brought her in and she is happy as can be.

My problem is that the kitten has TORN me to shreds. I am scratched, scarred, bleeding, and bitten. One set of the scratches on my left lower leg even appears to be infected. I know that some of this behavior is typical of kittens (I've had several cats over the years) but this just seems excessive. She can't go 5 seconds without attacking me in some way. She even crawls up my back when I'm sitting and grabs a mouthful of hair from my scalp and tries to yank it out!

Do you have any advice on how to stop (or lessen) this bad behavior? Any tried and true "training" methods? Water gun? Jar of pennies? Putting her out is not an option! We will be getting her spayed shortly, and I know that will help to calm her down, but I need something to help in the meantime. I'm desperate. This is causing me to not even want to interact with her. I don't heal well and some of these cuts/scars are really bad. I look like I've been in a knife fight. Seriously.

Thanks in advance!

First clean your wounds with anti bacterial soap, at least twice a day. If they don't start to heal pretty quick, a trip to the Dr. may be in order.

Now for the behavior issues. Is she wanting to play, and is being really rough? Try to distract her with a laser light, or some other toy. If she is trying to be the boss of you (I know cats aren't usually thought of that way) when she starts the misbehavior put her in a time out. A small crate for about 5mins.

One other thing (also because of the behavior you are dealing with) do you have room for a second cat? When we adopt cats we do in pairs, that way they are each others playmates, and we get the lovey part.

First clean your wounds with anti bacterial soap, at least twice a day. If they don't start to heal pretty quick, a trip to the Dr. may be in order.

Now for the behavior issues. Is she wanting to play, and is being really rough? Try to distract her with a laser light, or some other toy. If she is trying to be the boss of you (I know cats aren't usually thought of that way) when she starts the misbehavior put her in a time out. A small crate for about 5mins.

One other thing (also because of the behavior you are dealing with) do you have room for a second cat? When we adopt cats we do in pairs, that way they are each others playmates, and we get the lovey part.

+1 to all of that. At her age, a lot of this is probably play-aggression. Think about it, she's still a very young kitten who would normally be with her mom and siblings to play and learn how to hunt with. Catnip toys, balls, laser pointers, vertical scratching post are all good ideas. Kitty's got a lot of energy to burn off. A non-catnip lovey toy like a small stuffed animal (no small parts that can be swallowed) is good too as a comfort toy. If the kitty is alone all day, it's probably lonely too. A second kitty is a good idea, around the same age or a bit older (still young enough to play but settled down.)

A spray bottle of water is a good idea, and the noise thing. I still have to do the spray bottle thing occasionally and my cats are several years old now.

DECLAWING IS CRUEL, PLEASE read up on that subject. It has been outlawed in some countries and in at least one US state, I believe.

I'm glad you're keeping the kitty, so many would just dump it at a kill-shelter. Good luck and keep us updated. Do you have any pics?

Thank you for the suggestions. All good info. I washed the scratches immediately with peroxide and have used Neosporin the past 2-3 days. I bandaged the cuts on my leg that are probably infected. I wash my hands every time after I handle her (a LOT) because she has not been tested for any kitty diseases. Bad, I know. We've had her for roughly 2 weeks and I didn't think I was going to keep her at first. I planned to just foster her until I found a good home. My cat (pictured in my avatar) just died in December and I was not ready for a new cat. I had 1 relative, 1 neighbor, and 1 friend lined up to take the kitten but then I decided to keep her. I have 2 other pets, so I have kept her separated in a very large double-bedroom that I have upstairs. She has two windows and two double-beds in there, and she has plenty of room to run around. I made her a soft, comfortable bed in there and have the room stocked with food, water, litter, pillows, and toys. I go in there very often to play with her. I try to wear her out so that maybe, just maybe, she'll get tired. I know that she must be bored. I'm sure that she is just wanting to play, but she is soooo aggressive. I can stay in there and play, play, play with her, but I can't deal with the repercussions. I bought her balls with bell things in them and she LOVES them. She runs back and forth probably 50x a day while I'm in there with her, no exaggeration. Plus she plays by herself. I also have a long, fuzzy "tail" on a stick that I whip around and she jumps and chases. She loves that, too. I need to find her some more toys to keep her occupied that don't cost an arm and a leg. I do have a laser light but I didn't think about using that on her. I will definitely try that. I'm going to try the stuffed animal idea. I'm just afraid that I'm going to walk into a room full of stuffing. But it's worth a try. Hopefully it will be soothing to her. I'm going to look for a scratching post, too. Hopefully she will use that instead of my limbs! And I think that I have a water spray bottle somewhere. Otherwise they are cheap and I can get another one. Do you spray their body? Their face? Spritz? Stream? Thank you so much for the advice. I would still appreciate other ideas if anyone has any!

I use my water spray bottle as a mist, not directly in my cat's faces, more just towards them. They get just enough of the mist of their face to get the hint. I'd be leery about using a stream, because you may accidentally hit her eyes or ears and that would hurt.

You may need some antibiotics for your scratches, I'd go to the doctor, for real.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions. All good info. I washed the scratches immediately with peroxide and have used Neosporin the past 2-3 days. I bandaged the cuts on my leg that are probably infected. I wash my hands every time after I handle her (a LOT) because she has not been tested for any kitty diseases. Bad, I know. We've had her for roughly 2 weeks and I didn't think I was going to keep her at first. I planned to just foster her until I found a good home. My cat (pictured in my avatar) just died in December and I was not ready for a new cat. I had 1 relative, 1 neighbor, and 1 friend lined up to take the kitten but then I decided to keep her. I have 2 other pets, so I have kept her separated in a very large double-bedroom that I have upstairs. She has two windows and two double-beds in there, and she has plenty of room to run around. I made her a soft, comfortable bed in there and have the room stocked with food, water, litter, pillows, and toys. I go in there very often to play with her. I try to wear her out so that maybe, just maybe, she'll get tired. I know that she must be bored. I'm sure that she is just wanting to play, but she is soooo aggressive. I can stay in there and play, play, play with her, but I can't deal with the repercussions. I bought her balls with bell things in them and she LOVES them. She runs back and forth probably 50x a day while I'm in there with her, no exaggeration. Plus she plays by herself. I also have a long, fuzzy "tail" on a stick that I whip around and she jumps and chases. She loves that, too. I need to find her some more toys to keep her occupied that don't cost an arm and a leg. I do have a laser light but I didn't think about using that on her. I will definitely try that. I'm going to try the stuffed animal idea. I'm just afraid that I'm going to walk into a room full of stuffing. But it's worth a try. Hopefully it will be soothing to her. I'm going to look for a scratching post, too. Hopefully she will use that instead of my limbs! And I think that I have a water spray bottle somewhere. Otherwise they are cheap and I can get another one. Do you spray their body? Their face? Spritz? Stream? Thank you so much for the advice. I would still appreciate other ideas if anyone has any!

I've got a scratching post you can have if you want it. I bought it about a year ago and my cat won't use it. Here's a link to it on Amazon if you want to see what it looks like (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000634MH8). I'm in Powder Springs if you want it and can pick it up.

• Like 1

All the other suggestions are great, but get her blood work and immunizations done ASAP at a vet so that you can let her out of the bedroom! She has all that energy pent up from being alone in there. Also, a vet will probably not do a spay on her without vaccinations.

We trained our 4 adult cats (7 yrs-13+ yrs old)from "no-no's" with the water bottle. While they are very well behaved, we STILL use the water bottle on occasion. We use a stream instead of a mist, however, our 4 are adult cats and the stream doesn't have enough pressure to hurt them especially from a distance. They just hate getting wet and it gets their attention when you say NO. Definitely get a couple of cat scratchers. Mine like the one that has a ball in a track at the bottom. They also like the ones that have the sisle (sp?) cord wrapped around and the card board ones. They do not like the ones with carpet as they basically ignore those. 

I have gotten some deep scratches over the years but I have always just cleaned them right away with antibacterial soap BEFORE they start healing, as you can trap the dirt and bacteria inside by waiting until it starts closing up. Also use Neosporin at least twice a day. The kind with a pain reliever in the ointment works the best. The reason why cat scratches and especially bites are so prone to becoming infected is because they have a HUGE amount of bacteria in their mouths that they live with on a normal everyday basis without getting sick from it. That is normal for them.  She sounds like a perfectly normal kitten to me! I wish you the best of luck and much enjoyment with her. :)

Edited by MsGaStorm

Yes, declawing is very cruel because basically it cuts off the claw at the point of the first knuckle. How would you feel if someone cut your finger nails off but did so by cutting off the ends of your fingers up to your first knuckle? I am shocked that some cats still trust their owners after that!

Edited by MsGaStorm
  • Like 1

so sorry to hear of you losing your furbaby in December. you said you were not ready for a new friend but I know sometimes God is ready for you to have a new friend. just hang in there. and take all of the above advice. I also agree with no declawing. heal, have patience and have fun with your heaven sent new friend.

I grab the the scruff very tight hold it down and say firmly no bite.

You have to be consistent. It's mom, siblings and even canines in the household would correct her behavior if she hurt them. I promise they would hurt her a lot more than you will. My baby was doing very well about not scratching and biting.

I lost the battle with my hand raised kitten because my husband allowed her to do it. As a consequence I seldom ever interact with her anymore.

I have always been somewhat indifferent when it came to cats because I despise being bitten and scratched. It always hurts a long time because of the bacteria.

I really wanted this kitten to be a my lap cat, not gonna happen now.

Cats do have a way of coming into our lives when we think we don't need them. She is there for you.

All of the suggestions are great, except for the declaw.

We use a spray bottle on mist when the cats were little, now if we have to use it (we use it more on the dogs) we will use the stream. We shoot in their general direction, with a firm NO. You can also scruff the kitten when she is getting out of hand, and tell her no, then put her in time out.

If you have other people in the house everyone needs to be on the same page.

Scratching post, the plastic ring with the ball they chase around inside are both great toys. There is also a cat condo thing (I would post a pic. but.....) that you can get at Wally World that is inexpensive, and will keep her entertained.

It does sound like she has a ton of energy saved up from being in the room by her self. Do you have other cats? If so until she is tested keep her separated. If not cat diseases are not transmissible to dogs. Let her out to get some interaction with the dogs they will help to get her calmed down.

• Like 1

I just want to clarify I dont believe in declawing a cat either but it is an option and one that people often take for various reasons. Working at a vets office I see this all the time. Was just throwing it out there. :-) hope she finds the distractions she needs to stop scratching you. And yes see a dr about the scratches and get her shots soon! She needs them before getting spayed. Good luck!

• Like 1

I just want to clarify I dont believe in declawing a cat either but it is an option and one that people often take for various reasons. Working at a vets office I see this all the time. Was just throwing it out there. :-) hope she finds the distractions she needs to stop scratching you. And yes see a dr about the scratches and get her shots soon! She needs them before getting spayed. Good luck!

I did declaw; but not for all of mine; depended on their behavior. My theory was that; at my house, they would be super loved and pampered but wanted to keep my furniture in tact. In exchange they get one heck of a home.

• Like 2

I did declaw; but not for all of mine; depended on their behavior. My theory was that; at my house, they would be super loved and pampered but wanted to keep my furniture in tact. In exchange they get one heck of a home.

See. Various reasons. alot of people I see that do this are elderly who do want to keep the cats from scratching up furniture or because they have thin fragile skin and cats will tear them up. I have not owned but one cat in my life and she didnt need it. I dont judge those whose do. :-) its a choice and in some cases it is a good option for that person/cat.

Backing out now. After having seen many declaws in my 20+ years working in veterinary medicine I will NEVER declaw my cats. There are too many cons vs pros for doing this.

Want to save your furniture? Train the cat to use the scratching post. Learn to clip the cats nails. Use soft paws. This is a surgery, and it is very painful for the cat (even if it is done with a laser) it can cause even more behavior issues.

Thank God there are less vets willing to do this, just like with ear cropping.

Edited by gog8tors

<br />so sorry to hear of you losing your furbaby in December. you said you were not ready for a new friend but I know sometimes God is ready for you to have a new friend. just hang in there. and take all of the above advice. I also agree with no declawing. heal, have patience and have fun with your heaven sent new friend.

Thank you. I kind of feel the same way. The way the kitten just walked right over to me after I knelt down shocked me. The first thing my mom said was "[cat who died] must have sent her!"

<br />I've got a scratching post you can have if you want it.  I bought it about a year ago and my cat won't use it.  Here's a link to it on Amazon if you want to see what it looks like (<a href='http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000634MH8' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://www.amazon.co...duct/B000634MH8</a>).  I'm in Powder Springs if you want it and can pick it up.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

THANK YOU so much! You are so kind! I'd love to have it if you are sure that you won't need it anymore. Think about it and let me know!

<br />I grab the the scruff very tight hold it down and say firmly no bite.<br />You have to be consistent. It's mom, siblings and even canines in the household would correct her behavior if she hurt them. I promise they would hurt her a lot more than you will. My baby was doing very well about not scratching and biting.<br />I lost the battle with my hand raised kitten because my husband allowed her to do it. As a consequence I seldom ever interact with her anymore.<br />I have always been somewhat indifferent when it came to cats because I despise being bitten and scratched. It always hurts a long time because of the bacteria.<br />I really wanted this kitten to be a my lap cat, not gonna happen now.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I tried the scruff thing (didn't hurt her, but basically it was the only way to grab her without her biting me), but all it did was tick her off and make her attack me even harder. After a couple of tries, I stopped doing that. So that's a no-go for me.

<br />+1 to all of that. At her age, a lot of this is probably play-aggression. Think about it, she's still a very young kitten who would normally be with her mom and siblings to play and learn how to hunt with. Catnip toys, balls, laser pointers, vertical scratching post are all good ideas. Kitty's got a lot of energy to burn off. A non-catnip lovey toy like a small stuffed animal (no small parts that can be swallowed) is good too as a comfort toy. If the kitty is alone all day, it's probably lonely too. A second kitty is a good idea, around the same age or a bit older (still young enough to play but settled down.) <br /><br />A spray bottle of water is a good idea, and the noise thing. I still have to do the spray bottle thing occasionally and my cats are several years old now. <br /><br />DECLAWING IS CRUEL, PLEASE read up on that subject. It has been outlawed in some countries and in at least one US state, I believe.<br /><br />I'm glad you're keeping the kitty, so many would just dump it at a kill-shelter. Good luck and keep us updated. Do you have any pics?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I tried the lovey idea and it has worked wonderfully! I thought that she would snuggle with it (ha!) and use it as her "mama", but it worked in an entirely different way. She attacks the thing like crazy, but at least it is the lovey and not me! I carry the thing around the room with me while I'm in there playing with her. Every time she goes to attack me (a lot!) I shove the lovey in between her paws. Then she attacks the lovey. It doesn't stop her from attacking me in the first place, but hopefully with consistency she will stop. I am prepared to do this for as long as it takes! Thanks for the idea! I looked for the water spray bottle and couldn't find it so I will purchase another one. I think that will help a lot, too.

My mom came over this weekend and could not believe how active this kitten is! She was actually afraid of her!

I will be having the cat tests done this week. I am really excited to be able to let her out of the upstairs room. I know she will be happy, too.

• Like 3