Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
winston1972

Kids stuck at Schools

<br />They were beginning to cook dinner for the 130+ kids at Allgood a little while ago.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I hope they don't make the kid's pay for the meal. It's not their fault.

• Like 2

they made kids stay until 12 so they would not have to make it up. :angry2: They should have sent kids home as soon as the snow started falling. THis is just wrong. These poor kids..

The school has shown us how much they care for the well being of our kids. My daughters bus almost didnt get her home today. there is no excuse period.. :angry2:

• Like 1

Guess we know whats the 1st concern ..

Having to make up a snow day ..

or

the kids safety

and not to be too crass ..

A big thank you for those that stayed to cook and take care of the kids.

Edited by localres73
  • Like 1

Guess we know whats the 1st concern ..

Having to make up a snow day ..

or

the kids safety

Do you supposed the admins sat around and decided, "well, we just can't call another snow day. Although this is dangerous, let's have school anyway."

and not to be too crass ..

A big thank you for those that stayed to cook and take care of the kids.

That is not crass. That is thoughtful.

Even thou I don't agree with the way this was handled, A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT ARE AT THE SCHOOLS TAKING CARE OF THE CHILDREN.

ALSO TO THE DAY CARES THAT ARE STAYING OVER WITH THE CHILDREN THAT CAN'T MAKE IT HOME TO BE WITH THEIR PARENTS.

• Like 3

Well the teachers aren't home with their own kids a families; either. I think they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't. Hats off to the buses who did get the kids home and hats off to all caretakers. I once worked at a hospital. We stayed the night in the admissions and ER registry office.

There are many people out there taking care of others. Hats off to all of them.

• Like 2

The school board did screw up this time. But I can guarantee you that if they had announced last night that they were closing school today, some of the very same folks bitching right now would have been crying that they were going to have to make up that day and it was going to take some of their winter vacation, blah, blah, blah. (sorry for the run on)

To some extent, I blame the parents for not having a good emergency back up plan. They should have had a friend, neighbor or somebody as a back up to help.

Just like I saw somebody on FB griping because their kids were on the bus in front of their neighborhood and they wouldn't let them off the bus. Get off your a$$ and walk up there and get your kids--that simple!!

• Like 6

Yes, parents should have plans for inclement weather, but a lot of parents plan for their kids to ride the bus home and either stay home until the parents get there or stay with a neighbor. How is it a parent's fault if the kids are stuck on a bus somewhere or the bus never gets to the school to pick them up? The problem was an inaccurate weather forecast and probably waiting just a little bit too long to decide to send kids home. No one expected so much snow and no one expected the roads to get so bad so quickly. Personally I am so thankful to those bus drivers that spent hours trying to keep the kids safe and get them home and to all the teachers and staff members who have stayed at the schools and kept the kids safe, warm, fed and entertained. I know all those people wanted to leave early and head home to their families, but they will stay until the last child is headed home safe. God bless them for all they do!

• Like 1

they made kids stay until 12 so they would not have to make it up. :angry2: They should have sent kids home as soon as the snow started falling. THis is just wrong. These poor kids..

The school has shown us how much they care for the well being of our kids. My daughters bus almost didnt get her home today. there is no excuse period.. :angry2:

This was not for the kids'benefit!

I kept middleschooler home because he's sick. We sent the grandbabies because we are literally 2 minutes from school and knew if there was a problem we would have no issue getting there. Added to the fact that my daughter has eyeballs and a brain in her head, unlike some of the people who decided to make them stay too long and get stranded, she went to get them at 11:00. As a parent the decision to send my kid(s) to school is totally up to me. If we lived further from the school, I guarantee that the babies wouldn't have been there at all today. It's not worth the risk on any level.

On a side note, my SIL has been trying to get home since about 1:00 this afternoon. He started from Merchants Walk on Roswell rd and is just now at the library outside the Marietta Square. He's exhausted and hungry. My youngest daughter's boyfriends dad lives at East Paulding and 120 and if he can make it there, he's going to go to his house. We live all the way at the end of EP off of Old Cartersville rd and I have no idea how much longer it would take him to get home.

Edited by momof 3
  • Like 1

I think that the screw-up this time was the "head meteorologists" who called late last night for a "small dusting" of snow, with no greater accumulation than 1 inch. Does the title "head meteorologist" actually mean anything? It seems like there's absolutely NO actual analysis by the local weathermen. They just seem to pass along what the national weather service says. I think that when it comes to the possibility of extreme weather events, it's a mistake to put a lot of trust in the "expertise" of the head weatherguys. They were WAY off the mark this time! I think that the stations need to consider the possibility of bringing new talent to the position of "head meteorologist", since the present ones can't cut the mustard!

• Like 3

The ladies at Roberts Elementary were awesome today. After leaving our truck on Macland and walking to Roberts to get our granddaughter, they were so helpful and so nice. They looked in the lost and found for extra layers for her because we had to walk about a mile from there to home. We picked her up around 5. She was doing great watching a movie. We were the ones freaking out trying to get to her!

There's an off duty Paulding firefighter that has been uing his personal 4 wheel drive vehicle to transport stranded students home from the elementary school. Kudos!! it's times like this that we see our little "bedroom" community in its true light.

• Like 2

It is true. I saw a lot of people in their work and personal vehicles pushing cars, putting down sand for traction etc. Way to go residents of Paulding.

Edited by Happy Wife And Mom

It's a bad system. I knew they didn't care! They've taken chances on our kids lives before. These public school system needs new rules. I received a winter storm warning at 6 am from weather channel for paulding so I know the fools knew!

• Like 1

Hell, if I had my way, daughter would have stayed at school and finished her classes. Then I would have picked her up. :)

No, seriously... I knew about the weather, I brought her to school and picked her up. I won't allow anyone but myself to bring her nor pick her up when it snows.

So, no complaints from me....about this!

Now, how it was handled, well, that is a different story. I don't care that I brought her to school because I was going to be all up in the snow any way, come hell to high water. Matter of fact, when I picked her up and her friend, we went to lunch.

I didn't get aggravated until I got behind someone that was going 10 miles an hour, with nothing sticking to the roads yet, or barely on the roads. Then there was the line of cars. I watched one person, brake when the light turn yellow, but then decided to keep going through the red light. Glad the other cars didn't go. Then another light, was green, and people were treating it like a 4 way stop.

I thought, I was going to be bald by the time I got home, I was so aggravated. It took me close to an hour to get home from Walmart. No friggin lie!!!! 7 dang miles if that from the house. I know East High is 4 miles.

There's an off duty Paulding firefighter that has been uing his personal 4 wheel drive vehicle to transport stranded students home from the elementary school. Kudos!! it's times like this that we see our little "bedroom" community in its true light.

That's awesome! Maybe the police should look into buying 4 wheelers for their department so they can help lite old ladies and men who slide off the road and are sitting in their car freezing to death because noones coming to help other than good samaritin. Thank God for those!

I think that the screw-up this time was the "head meteorologists" who called late last night for a "small dusting" of snow, with no greater accumulation than 1 inch. Does the title "head meteorologist" actually mean anything? It seems like there's absolutely NO actual analysis by the local weathermen. They just seem to pass along what the national weather service says. I think that when it comes to the possibility of extreme weather events, it's a mistake to put a lot of trust in the "expertise" of the head weatherguys. They were WAY off the mark this time! I think that the stations need to consider the possibility of bringing new talent to the position of "head meteorologist", since the present ones can't cut the mustard!

Don't blame the weather men. The weather service issued a winter storm warning for paulding county about 6 am. So, that's no excuse.

The school board did screw up this time. But I can guarantee you that if they had announced last night that they were closing school today, some of the very same folks bitching right now would have been crying that they were going to have to make up that day and it was going to take some of their winter vacation, blah, blah, blah. (sorry for the run on)

To some extent, I blame the parents for not having a good emergency back up plan. They should have had a friend, neighbor or somebody as a back up to help.

Just like I saw somebody on FB griping because their kids were on the bus in front of their neighborhood and they wouldn't let them off the bus. Get off your a$$ and walk up there and get your kids--that simple!!

Some would say though, it doesn't matter what it didn't do , it matters what it does.

Big freakin' deal to have parents bitch about making up a day. Let them. Perhaps the school board needs to grow a pair and start doing right for the kids and ignore the complaints of the parents who don't get their way (or their winter break). You can't please everyone and you're better off erring on the side of safety. They definitely dropped the ball on this one. But from what I've heard from parents and bus drivers, it shouldn't surprise me that the BOE failed big time.

and bless all those who are taking care of the kids at school and at daycare. You folks rock.

• Like 1

Fulton County and the City of Atlanta schools also have children for the night.

The governor just announced all state offices will be closed tomorrow.Surely no one is going to be out in this mess tomorrow.

Back up plan? I know people that are still stuck on the roads. They should have dismissed earlier.

<br />Back up plan? I know people that are still stuck on the roads. They should have dismissed earlier.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You're exactly right. The end.

You guys are something else.Can we just say a prayer for those kids at OUR schools. I am sure all of them are sleeping just fine by now thanks to our teachers and staff.

the original NN

Edited by mrnn
  • Like 2

As a former educator, it is not the parent's fault for sending their children to school or relying on the school buses to get them home safely when the Board chose to make their money off the students by forcing them to stay three hours after heavy snow was falling. This is a Board issue and is not the first time the PCBOE has put our children and teachers at risk due to poor judgement.

I kept my child home. BOE failed us again. Thanks to the teachers taking care of the children at school. I know at scoggins middle school has special needs children who are staying overnight ay school. My heart goes out to all the teachers and students. my childs well being is more important than winter break.

As a former educator, it is not the parent's fault for sending their children to school or relying on the school buses to get them home safely when the Board chose to make their money off the students by forcing them to stay three hours after heavy snow was falling. This is a Board issue and is not the first time the PCBOE has put our children and teachers at risk due to poor judgement.

My neighbor is a bus driver. At 10:30 she had her bus cranked and warming. She left around 11:00. So the bus drivers got to the school as soon as they were notified. Then they were stuck. I hope they all got paid for the overtime. I know that sounds petty, but I heard them on the scanner and it was AWFUL!!!!!