yo! ×
Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
rockysmom

Simple message

I know.....I'm a bore.

PLEASE buy AMERICAN!

It really helps big and small communities across this country.

Happy holidays you guys! yahoo.gif

• Like 3

I buy American when I can and when it's something in my price range and what I'm looking for. I do try to avoid buying Chinese products when I can as well.

• Like 1

I know.....I'm a bore.

PLEASE buy AMERICAN!

It really helps big and small communities across this country.

Happy holidays you guys! yahoo.gif

I worked at JC Penney Outlet two-blue million years ago and we had a sale on mens waders one weekend. They were full overalls, rubber with suspenders, etc. They were normally $98.00 and we had a huge overstock and were selling them for $9.97. They were literally walking out the door as soon as we opened. There was an older gentleman buying 3 sets and as I was ringing them up, he saw the words 'made in China' on bottom, stopped the sale, and explained that he only bought American. And even for the price, he left them on my counter.

I used to be a big advocate of buy American, BUT, I took an economics class recently and learned that is not such a good idea.

Example:

Let's say China buys lumber from the U.S. We boycott buying anything from China. No money goes to China then, China can not buy lumber from the U.S. In the long run it hurts the U.S.

That applies to all countries that buy from us.

If we were to stop buying foreign made cars, then they do not have the money to buy goods from us.

It hurts our economy when we buy only made in America.

I was also surprised to find out that Canada is our #1 import and export country.

• Like 1

Great video. But we still have to import goods from other countries in order to make some of the items the consumer demands. So we need to continue to trade with other countries. Out sourcing of jobs is not a good thing, but eventually the low salaries the Chinese worker make, will eventually rise and big companies will not want to outsource anymore. There are alot of factors involved. I do try to buy American when I can find something made in America, but that is not easy to do.

check out this quick youtube on this issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FrGxO2Fn_M

I worked at JC Penney Outlet two-blue million years ago and we had a sale on mens waders one weekend. They were full overalls, rubber with suspenders, etc. They were normally $98.00 and we had a huge overstock and were selling them for $9.97. They were literally walking out the door as soon as we opened. There was an older gentleman buying 3 sets and as I was ringing them up, he saw the words 'made in China' on bottom, stopped the sale, and explained that he only bought American. And even for the price, he left them on my counter.

I worked at JC penney Greenbriar many years ago as an undercover loss prevention person. They were having 18 wheelers unloaded by thieves while they sat overnight at the loading dock.

L-O-N-G story........... but basically I dated a girl that worked there. She turned out to be the inside connection for the thieves. BUT I didn't know this until many years later when I happened to walk into her office with a guy I was working with at a construction company. Turns out she was dating both of us at the same time and she was letting him and his buddies know when there was something good on the trucks at the loading dock.

Buy American

Great video. But we still have to import goods from other countries in order to make some of the items the consumer demands. So we need to continue to trade with other countries. Out sourcing of jobs is not a good thing, but eventually the low salaries the Chinese worker make, will eventually rise and big companies will not want to outsource anymore. There are alot of factors involved. I do try to buy American when I can find something made in America, but that is not easy to do.

We have been eventually rising, RR, right here in the U.S. of A.

Here's how: http://assets.motherjones.com/politics/2011/inequality-p25_averagehouseholdincom.png

That has been in about a 30 year long run.

Edited by The Postman

I will note one other thing - buying American isn't all cut-and-dried. For instance, the Toyota Camry is built in Georgetown, KY, with parts made here, if I'm not mistaken. So even though it has a Japanese name, it's an American vehicle.

I will note one other thing - buying American isn't all cut-and-dried. For instance, the Toyota Camry is built in Georgetown, KY, with parts made here, if I'm not mistaken. So even though it has a Japanese name, it's an American vehicle.

This is true. My Tundra is built in the US and contains far more US made components than either Ford or Chevy. So it is more American than the "American" trucks. And more of the money trail stays in the US than it would from a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.

I would also point out that Canada and South America are also "America",

And it doesn't take much to legally call a product American made. We did a job awhile back that was federally funded and one of the stipulations was that the equipment we used was American made. Of the manufacturers who did offer "American Made" equipment; they were all produced and partially assembled in other countries, but their final assembly was here, so they qualified for the "American Made" rating.

So while I agree with the concept of buying American Made, it isn't always clear or easy.

Even better, shop small when you can.

I make original art, to order oftentimes (as do a few others on here) ...for less than the 'mass produced made in China by a three year old in a sweatshop'.

It's original, and therefore one of a kind.

It kills me to walk into local antique and gift shops, see awesome 'Americana' look for a price and see 'Made In China' on the label.

Edited by RhondaW

I agree with all the comments. I just really want people to ask. When we went to buy a new couch, if the item we were interested in was not American made we passed. The concept that the names that have been around for a very long time are made in this country.....may not be true. Ask if you don't know.

Everything needs balance and this concept is not exempt but for the past years American made was going down, down, down. It's turning around slowly, but it needs our support.

Thanks guys. Glad to see some support it. :)