Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Beach Bum

So Sad and Disrespectful (In My Opinion)..........

Let me get this straight.... you are saying it is disrespectuful to "shove Santa in the face " of Jewish folks who are voluntarily attending an optional Christmas parade in which the guest of honor has been traditionally St. NICHOLAS for many many years.

Some one please remind me to get upset at the next Gay Pride parade I voluntarily go to.

Sorry that was just the first example I thought of.

The topic of Santa is an interesting one from a legal perspective. There was case several years back in either Washington or Oregon where someone sued regarding the Christmas decorations on display. These decorations included, trees, Santas, Snowmen, etc. The court ruled that these decorative items where in essence OK because they represented secular Christmas decorations. What would not have been OK were decorations such as nativity and angels. We have seen battles across this nation over nativity scenes on public property. I think there was such an issue here in Dallas a few years back.

As for Jewish folks, I have seen Jews that had a very disdainful attitude towards Christmas and any sort of decorations and have even worked with Jewish folks who loved the decorations and even had Christmas trees in their homes..

• Like 1

Really they sent flyers home through the school? I did not know that!! Holy moley!! Using the school system for a political event?

I no longer have any kids in the school system.

How is an airshow a political event?

• Like 1

Let me ask you a question. The attorney for the Airport Authority, Tom Cable, always graciously donates his time to volunteer at the Christmas Parade and has done so for about 21 years now. He announces the floats and organizations as they drive by in the Parade. As he is announcing the floats in the parade, would you have been okay if he stood up on the grandstand with his microphone and announced to everyone within the crowd his views on the airport? Thankfully, he is a classy person and didn't do anything of that nature but my point is that he could have if he had chosen to. Of course, he realizes that we were all there for a fun Christmas Parade and not for discussion on a very controversial subject.

Again, I respect your opinion but I truly found the fact that this group did this very inappropriate.

There is no comparison to this at all.

Of course that would have been inappropriate, although had he done that, you'd have been spouting his graciousness on getting the word out to the peasants.

• Like 1

I have ridden horses in the parade probably 12-15 times over the years I was not there this year because I am getting over the creeping crud and frankly do not want to relapse. I was there in 92 when the KKK was there just to clarify yes they were there and wearing their robes but did not march in the parade. I have seen everyone from the KKK to church groups and auto mechanics hand out flyers. Where else in the county are you going to have the opportunity to approach a large group of people in a relatively small area and pitch your agenda. I don't necessarily agree with the tactic taking place at a family event celebrating the season but past precedent clearly allows this to happen so just say no thanks and enjoy the festivities don't stroke out over it.

• Like 1

This entire thread is an attack on good people.

:(

Mrs. Howard, my feathers were ruffled because of the way she came on here and attacked BB. She could of came on here and spoke to her in a more gentle way to get her point across. I understand what you are saying, and I have been reading the rest of the thread up to your post. But, you have to admit, this post isn't about the Airport, and has been turned into it. It's about the parade and flyers being passed out.

I was seriously offended when air show advertisements came home from my child's indoctrination center this fall. This was way back before I knew as much as I did about the history of the airport. Did I get on P.com and b*tch, did I call the school, nope, I either I just threw it in the garbage or used to to scoop up some cat puke after having a conversation with my child about why this is inappropriate. We did not receive information in his folder when touch a truck was going on or about the Halloween village or the Hiram Xmas tree lighting- all of which are family, kid orientated.

Either way, I am sure some folks found it useful and attended. To each there own.

SOMEONE< please highlight her " or used it to scoop up cat puke " for me, please! ( I don't know how to quote and turn it red) That right there, was hilarious! Its something I would have done or said, Rose! And not with any intention of demeaning the contents of the flyer, just that that's so funny and refreshing after reading some of the vitriol on here! :rofl:

How would politicians feel about people going around giving out flyers regarding something totally unrelated during their speeches? Think that would fly?

Is it ok for citizen to hands out flyers advertising their business at these events? ( serious question, no intent involved)

SOMEONE< please highlight her " or used it to scoop up cat puke " for me, please! ( I don't know how to quote and turn it red) That right there, was hilarious! Its something I would have done or said, Rose! And not with any intention of demeaning the contents of the flyer, just that that's so funny and refreshing after reading some of the vitriol on here! :rofl:

Is it ok for citizen to hands out flyers advertising their business at these events? ( serious question, no intent involved)

LOL, with 4 long haired cat, there's always lots of it. Save papers for just that purpose- saving the world thru recycling one puke at a time..

Edited by Rose Luxemburg

As many of you know, the 21st annual Dallas Christmas Parade was held today. This is a great event that is so much fun and enjoyment for the children and adults alike of Paulding County. It has always been such a delightful experience to see the looks of awe and joy on the children’s faces as they take in the sights and sounds around them before, during and after the Parade.

There is so much planning, hard work and effort that goes into this Parade by the many volunteers; however, one look at the faces of the children in attendance makes it all worthwhile.

Unfortunately, I personally observed one of the people who unsuccessfully attempted earlier this week to block a taxiway widening project at the airport handing out literature to people trying to enjoy the Christmas Parade. While we all may have our political agendas and while I certainly appreciate the rights we all have to express those ideas even when they are based upon incorrect information, I think using the Christmas Parade as a forum is in very poor taste.

Fortunately, most of the people I spoke to who received the information (including several who respectfully don't want to offer any additional services at the airport) agreed. They DID NOT appreciate having any political propaganda thrust upon them while they were attending a function with their children that is supposed to inspire us to be better Christians.

Based on the many comments I heard from attendees at the Parade today, the distribution of these fliers at the Parade certainly was unbecoming and these people certainly did not do themselves any favors.

Oh well…… We had a great Parade anyway and thankfully, it didn’t rain a drop as some expected. It was a great day and once again, the smiles on the children’s faces as they watched the more positive aspects of this day was very much worth it.

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

HA HA HA HA LMFAO and you have the gall to question citizens handing out flyers on the Streets of Downtown Dallas when you have done the same thing???

Was that not you that I met in 2006 handing out flyers in the courthouse square supporting the $125 million dollar school bond that the citizens had previously voted down?

Are you the only person that is allowed public access to promote ones cause?

• Like 3

No, it's not. If they have paid a sponsorship of some kind for the event, yes. And only then can they set up a booth where people can obtain literature IF THEY SO DESIRE. Otherwise, nope. It's not a time to advertise or push your political agenda.

One reason why I don't go to parades now. I got sick and tired of walking away with a handful of junk from every politician running for office, every church in the town and half of the small businesses. Advertise some other way. A captive audience is not the place.

True story. Years ago, I was at an event in Douglas County. Labor Day parade, I think. Don't remember now because it has been years. Anyway, it was election year. Heated race apparently. Every 5 seconds someone was coming by to give me a flyer, or something, about a candidate. After about the fourth or fifth one, I started telling them I didn't live in Douglas County. They said in a very hateful tone of voice "why are you here at the parade if you don't live here?" Except for a few Powder Springs parades when one of my daughters was in it and the Mardi Gras parade at Navarre Beach, I haven't been to a parade since. And darn, just remembered that this time when I go to the Mardi Gras parade I can't tell them I don't live here. pardon.gifAnd it's election year!!!!!!!!

I can tear up and throw away junk mail. I can ignore the phone calls from numbers I don't know. I can ignore spam. I can't ignore someone handing me something to read when I'm at a parade, generally packed in shoulder to shoulder and unable to move. Nope, not the time to advertise.

Really they sent flyers home through the school? I did not know that!! Holy moley!! Using the school system for a political event?

I no longer have any kids in the school system.

The air show is a political event? That's news to me.

:unsure:

So you don't care about the children in attendance and the example being set?

I really don't understand how someone handing out information hurt the enjoyment and free candy of the children. I didn't see a single child unhappy, but unhappiness may have been your area. Sorry if things were spoiled for you.

• Like 1

LOL, with 4 long haired cat, there's always lots of it. Save papers for just that purpose- saving the world thru recycling one puke at a time..

From one cat lover to another, I hear you! LOLOL! I have 3 short haired and one Maine Coon. The 3 short haired give me more hairball piles than my fuzzmeister! And, when petsitting, I always find it interesting when I bring up the "delicate " ( LOL!!) discussion of hairball pile handling with new clients! Is there any specific area in the home I might need to look for them? OOOPS- sorry ! off topic!

The parade was not the most appropriate place to hand out the flyers.

It is difficult to get information out in this county.

Very true. Lets start a newspaper. Won't use tax $ and won't make all the noise. Would give as many

people jobs as the airport without all the mess.

There really is no go to that can be used other than the school system.

It was the only reason that the Air Show was a success this year.

I am starting to think that a vote may be in order, granted it is the democratic way to do things.

We have had two votes and it didn't stop them from doing it any way. Yes I think a vote is the best

way to go, but it will never happen with the folks in office that are there now. Let recall

the commissioner and then have a vote.

Of course this county is the most conservative in the south, until the rubber meets the road.

Then you see the true colors here.

I truly believe the people need to decide, this will effect everyone where they live.

The families and businesses that are distressed economically and those that have willingly sacrificed money for a certain lifestyle.

Sacrifice is key to this issue, the budget has been cut, but we are looking at tax increases with or without the growth at the airport.

But with a bigger increase with the airport.

We will pay for the quiet country, laid back lifestyle. I am comfortable with that. I know more people that are not. They have moved here and found that it is not all it is cracked up to be, mostly due to the recession.

But due to the recession it would be the same anywhere. Check with people in other counties.

This issue is going to cut as deep into this community as any election ever has.

I care about the people here no matter where they stand on this issue. People tend to accept elections a lot better than laws that manipulate the system in favor of the richest.

True, so why didn't we have a third election, and why did they build the airport even though it was voted out before.

A vote will just postpone it till someone can sneak it in anyway. The solution is to either recall the chairman or vote him out.

If we can postpone it with lawsuits and such till election time it will all go away.

I hope that folks won't burn bridges over this issue, because if they do, they have given up every thing that makes this a great place to live.

Maybe you need to tell my daughter and son in law who live at the end of a runway at HARTSFIELD that their lives are destroyed and their home is worth nothing. They would rofl.gif and ask you what you been drinks.gif or smoking.

IF the airport expands, they must comply with noise abatements. That would include installing noise dampening features (windows, insulation, etc) on EVERY home that is impacted. Those noise dampening features really work, too. I don't believe I've ever heard an airplane taking off or landing as long as my daughter was inside when she was on the phone. I've heard them loud and clear when she has been outside. Inside nea.gif

And now it is 737s and not 747s that will landing and taking off out there. What will it be next, 727s or DC9s?

And how much of our tax dollars is that going to cost?

It was 737's someone just mistyped.

From one cat lover to another, I hear you! LOLOL! I have 3 short haired and one Maine Coon. The 3 short haired give me more hairball piles than my fuzzmeister! And, when petsitting, I always find it interesting when I bring up the "delicate " ( LOL!!) discussion of hairball pile handling with new clients! Is there any specific area in the home I might need to look for them? OOOPS- sorry ! off topic!

Coon Mixes here too.

The air show is a political event? That's news to me.

:unsure:

It's as political as the flyers that were handed out at the parade this year. It was informational. Who actually saw them? Was there any thing indicating it was political?

It's as political as the flyers that were handed out at the parade this year. It was informational. Who actually saw them? Was there any thing indicating it was political?

I would call it an act of Public Service to inform the people about the airport. Get the information out there, and let the people decide for themselves. To want to shame and name call a group who is trying to get their information out to the public is nothing short of suspicious and shameful at best.

No, I am not comparing this group to the KKK. I was simply responding to a post in this thread about the KKK being at the parade several years ago.

And yes, unfortunately the KKK did in fact show up that year. Several members of the group along with their Leader (whatever he is called). As to how I identified them, well....that is quite simple. They showed up in their full gear - white hats and all. There was also a group of what I think were the Black Panthers as well as the Grand (whatever he is called) of the KKK who from what I can recall, had on attire that differed a little from the regular KKK members. Thankfully, there was no big conflict because the wonderful citizens of this county behaved themselves and acted with class and dignity.

Yes, they were there. Yes, I witnessed it with my own eyes and no, I am not comparing members of this group to the KKK in any way, shape or form.

You were at that parade, but were you at Saturday's parade?

You might try "No, thank you."

I can tear up and throw away junk mail. I can ignore the phone calls from numbers I don't know. I can ignore spam. I can't ignore someone handing me something to read when I'm at a parade, generally packed in shoulder to shoulder and unable to move. Nope, not the time to advertise.

I agree completely. Not only was it disrespectful in my opinion, it also caused a lot of unnecessary litter.

Do you have proof of all the unnecessary litter? Pictures please.

Oh, and to add, I would imaging all of the good supporters of the airport would NEVER litter Paulding. Just saying.

Do you have proof of all the unnecessary litter? Pictures please.

Oh, and to add, I would imaging all of the good supporters of the airport would NEVER litter Paulding. Just saying.

I saw people actually crumple up the papers and throw them on the ground. No, I don't have pictures.

First, I don't think this was political. Second, politicians have always participated in the parade, always handing out stuff. The Heath bars sure are yummy!!

I wasn't there but I understand it was a great turn out, despite the cold weather. :D

I don't mind seeing my politicians in the parade-nice to see them out there and handing out candy to the kids as part of our community. The flyers didn't bother me either

. The kids weren't the only ones collecting candy-i was also!! Got a few ornary looks from people for doing it-not that I competed with the children around me to get at the candy!!! My grandson and one of his scouting friends were out there with me. We have a young man who was part of our troop, who is in the service at fort Stewart. We collected the candy for the boys there, and will send it out this week

I really don't understand how someone handing out information hurt the enjoyment and free candy of the children. I didn't see a single child unhappy, but unhappiness may have been your area. Sorry if things were spoiled for you.

Thank you for your concern but it didn't spoil it for me. :) Ask anyone who knows me, they will tell you that I am one of the happiest, most optimistic people they have ever met (I get told that on a daily basis). I do try to always maintain a positive attitude. However, because I am simply human, some things do just rub me the wrong way.

I'm sorry that some of you don't like me expressing my opinion but just like everyone else here, I have that right.

I saw people actually crumple up the papers and throw them on the ground. No, I don't have pictures.

I would imagine that the largest amount of litter was candy wrappers. So by your logic we should not have candy at the parade any more?

Edited by Rose Luxemburg

HA HA HA HA LMFAO and you have the gall to question citizens handing out flyers on the Streets of Downtown Dallas when you have done the same thing???

Was that not you that I met in 2006 handing out flyers in the courthouse square supporting the $125 million dollar school bond that the citizens had previously voted down?

Are you the only person that is allowed public access to promote ones cause?

You owe me an apology Whitey as you know good and well what you said is not true.

You are intentionally misleading people and you know it. I did hand out flyers for the school bond to people I knew in the courthouse area; however, this was not done during any type of organized event such as the Christmas Parade. I didn't have a captive audience, I simply got out all by myself during the middle of the day when there was no kind of event whatsoever going on. No Christmas Parade, no events going on, nada.

I would imagine that the largest amount of litter was candy wrappers. So by your logic we should not have candy at the parade any more?

I think if I am going to "choose which kind of litter" I would rather have, it would be the litter from candy from the happy kids enjoying the Christmas Parade as opposed to a political flier.

You owe me an apology Whitey as you know good and well what you said is not true.

You are intentionally misleading people and you know it. I did hand out flyers for the school bond to people I knew in the courthouse area; however, this was not done during any type of organized event such as the Christmas Parade. I didn't have a captive audience, I simply got out all by myself during the middle of the day when there was no kind of event whatsoever going on. No Christmas Parade, no events going on, nada.

I think if I am going to "choose which kind of litter" I would rather have, it would be the litter from candy from the happy kids enjoying the Christmas Parade as opposed to a political flier.

Litter is litter. Just as opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and according to another it stinks. Its all or nothing on this just like litter, you either respectfully allow others to express their opinion or no one enjoys the free candy.. And BB some places in New England no longer allow candy at parades because of the candy litter.

This is really no different that any other parade I have attended where folks where walking around handing out flyers to whatever denomination they belonged to special service, program, etc. The fact that it something that was tossed on the ground as opposed to in trash receptacle tells more about the class of person who it was handed to rather than the message on the paper whether you agree with it or not. They could have just as easily taken it home and recycled it by scooping up cat puke..

Edited by Rose Luxemburg

Litter is litter. Just as opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and according to another it stinks. Its all or nothing on this just like litter, you either respectfully allow others to express their opinion or no one enjoys the free candy.. And BB some places in New England no longer allow candy at parades because of the candy litter.

This is really no different that any other parade I have attended where folks where walking around handing out flyers to whatever denomination they belonged to special service, program, etc. The fact that it something that was tossed on the ground as opposed to in trash receptacle tells more about the class of person who it was handed to rather than the message on the paper whether you agree with it or not. They could have just as easily taken it home and recycled it by scooping up cat puke..

Fair enough. Your opinion and mine are not on the same page but thankfully, we live in a world that allows us to express those opinions. Differing opinions make the world a more interesting place in which to live. :)

• Like 1

Fair enough. Your opinion and mine are not on the same page but thankfully, we live in a world that allows us to express those opinions. Differing opinions make the world a more interesting place in which to live. :)

You know what BB, I love differing opinions because it causes me to think and grow personally. I have changed my view points on many things over the course of the years based on information and research including religious and political ones. Information is a powerful thing. I have to question anyone, anything that attempts to stifle another's message or refuses to answer meaningful questions from stakeholders.

The verdict is still out for many people on this airport and people need information not propaganda presented to them by both those for and against to make an educated decision for themselves. Do I think that there is enough information out there? no.. Now discerning between outright propaganda, biased information and unbiased information, well that's a whole other story.

Edited by Rose Luxemburg

I talked to a member of the EVIL ones that gave out the flyers and it was planned that they would stay and clean up if needed after the parade...they said that it was not a problem...as I said I have been to many of these parades and have been handed pens, business cards, & candy ..plus many politicians riding and some walking to get their agenda across ...I use to go to parades with my family as my child was there in one organization or another and I would not miss that for anything...and I had people walking around trying to shake my hand and get my vote...In the past I have seen those same politicians set up tables at the 4th of July fireworks...a fun time for the family too....I am not saying the airport non-supporters are politicians but you are comparing them to that....they are concerned citizens and saw an opportunity to get their point across in a non abusive way..as no one was accosted or harmed..as I was not harmed when someone handed me a pen & asked for my vote...I could have thrown it in the street too but chose to take it home and toss it...like I am sure many of the parade goers did too

You know what BB, I love differing opinions because it causes me to think and grow personally. I have changed my view points on many things over the course of the years based on information and research including religious and political ones. Information is a powerful thing. I have to question anyone, anything that attempts to stifle another's message or refuses to answer meaningful questions from stakeholders.

The verdict is still out for many people on this airport and people need information not propaganda presented to them by both those for and against to make an educated decision for themselves. Do I think that there is enough information out there? no.. Now discerning between outright propaganda, biased information and unbiased information, well that's a whole other story.

Differences of opinion do make the world go round BUT it is very hypocritical when one side is criticized for doing exactly the same thing as the other. Be it handing out flyers at a captive parade (a large group) or to captive citizens (a smaller group) trying to do business at a courthouse, it is all the same.

There is a lot of misleading all around. Why not spend this valuable energy on both sides by trying to influence the leaders to do the right thing and speak to the people with true facts!

• Like 1

I talked to a member of the EVIL ones that gave out the flyers and it was planned that they would stay and clean up if needed after the parade...they said that it was not a problem...as I said I have been to many of these parades and have been handed pens, business cards, & candy ..plus many politicians riding and some walking to get their agenda across ...I use to go to parades with my family as my child was there in one organization or another and I would not miss that for anything...and I had people walking around trying to shake my hand and get my vote...In the past I have seen those same politicians set up tables at the 4th of July fireworks...a fun time for the family too....I am not saying the airport non-supporters are politicians but you are comparing them to that....they are concerned citizens and saw an opportunity to get their point across in a non abusive way..as no one was accosted or harmed..as I was not harmed when someone handed me a pen & asked for my vote...I could have thrown it in the street too but chose to take it home and toss it...like I am sure many of the parade goers did too

Will you, or anyone else, post a copy of the "informational" flyer, please?

mrnn

Differences of opinion do make the world go round BUT it is very hypocritical when one side is criticized for doing exactly the same thing as the other. Be it handing out flyers at a captive parade (a large group) or to captive citizens (a smaller group) trying to do business at a courthouse, it is all the same.

There is a lot of misleading all around. Why not spend this valuable energy on both sides by trying to influence the leaders to do the right thing and speak to the people with true facts!

Unfortunately a few citizens voicing their displeasure doesn't work in this day and age. Politicians usually don't take notice unless those few citizens have $$$$, if you don't then you need to get enough folks behind your cause for the politicians to take notice.

Beach Bum You did not have a clue who I was Pubby introduced us and you gave me the flyer that you were passing out in the mall area around the fountain area, If I have misrepresented this then please tell me where. Yes people were leaving the courthouse and the other offices for lunch Etc. And I guess you will contend that you knew everyone that you gave a flyer to; Come on Lady no one believes the BS you are spreading in this thread.

I never said it was done to a captive audience I did say it was in the same area of town and it was.

I do not have one of the flyers so I can not comment on the content....but I think the time to talk to the leaders has come and gone as they made their minds up ...months if not years ago ....and no amount of public opinion or anything else will change what they have already decided ....the people ..all 10 of them{as Swafford said} have spoken and been ignored for years but various politicans throughout time on this subject

I do not have one of the flyers so I can not comment on the content....but I think the time to talk to the leaders has come and gone as they made their minds up ...months if not years ago ....and no amount of public opinion or anything else will change what they have already decided ....the people ..all 10 of them{as Swafford said} have spoken and been ignored for years but various politicans throughout time on this subject

I disagree this is not a done deal the FAA has to approve passenger service, and that has not happened.

Just need to stop the flow of Dollars to the projects that have to be completed. And that process is ongoing as we speak

I very much agree with this statement. I will be the first to tell you that I also learn from listening to other's opinions and I have sometimes learned some very valuable lessons by listening.

Thank you for being respectful. The thread was started simply to state my opinion on this subject and I appreciate the input.

I still believe it was very wrong of these people to use this event to further their agenda but I do appreciate the input.