Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
ceesa

Comcast

I just heard on the news that Comcast is going to start charging per data used on their internet plan. If you go over the allowed amt you have to pay an extra $10 per 50GB used. They said they are doing this because people are using their computers to watch movies instead of buying their movie channels on cable TV. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Dont EVEN get me started. I called the other day because I think my modem should be replaced and they emailed me a whole new plan that will cost more.!!!!!!!! I will call tomorrow when I calm down.

We called to complain about our internet last month. The man talked me into the triple play with X1. Tech came to install it the next day, but couldn't for some reason. Called later that day to rescheduled and was told that the X1 boxes are back ordered indefinitely. I get my bill and it is suddenly higher because they knocked me out of the promotion. Called in again and the girl "fixed" my package, but removed DVR service. As a result of that I am missing an episode of SOA. Called back again and they got the DVR turned back on, but now that episode isn't airing to record. If ATT&T didn't suck worse, I would dump them.

I just heard on the news that Comcast is going to start charging per data used on their internet plan. If you go over the allowed amt you have to pay an extra $10 per 50GB used. They said they are doing this because people are using their computers to watch movies instead of buying their movie channels on cable TV. What is everyone's opinion on this?

I don't like it but they are free to make any service changes they like. I, as a customer, can either pay more or switch to a different provider. If enough people switch they will get the message.

• Like 1

I don't see that as a viable reason. We only have internet and watch all our TV and movies online. So far this month (as of the 20th) we have only used 59GB. Our TV is streaming from 3pm-11pm each weekday, and pretty much 7am-12am on the weekends. We are both constantly online during these hours as well.

Maybe I need more gadgets . . .

I don't see that as a viable reason. We only have internet and watch all our TV and movies online. So far this month (as of the 20th) we have only used 59GB. Our TV is streaming from 3pm-11pm each weekday, and pretty much 7am-12am on the weekends. We are both constantly online during these hours as well.

Maybe I need more gadgets . . .

I was wondering how it would impact us. Thank you for letting me know that it won't! biggrin.gif

The paperwork I got said it was going to be a 300 gigabyte limit. That is a huge amount of data people!

It is not a lot of data if you are streaming movies, shows, and gaming in MMO games.

You really got to be doing some hardcore file sharing to hit 300gb. Most I hit is 250gb and I mmo, stream, p2p, etc nonstop. If you were streaming either 3D or high def stuff you might hit it but Comcast wont let Netflix do that on their lines.

You really got to be doing some hardcore file sharing to hit 300gb. Most I hit is 250gb and I mmo, stream, p2p, etc nonstop. If you were streaming either 3D or high def stuff you might hit it but Comcast wont let Netflix do that on their lines.

Most of Xfinity's shows on their website are HD. This is between two huge gamers (several games are 3D) that stream videos and movies all the time.

What does 300 GB of Comcast Service Buy?

If you watch standard definition Netflix movies at the "Good Quality" setting (adjustable in each app's Video Settings) that 300 GB translates to 1000 hours of viewing. If set to stream in "Best Quality," Netflix will deliver 300 hours of movies and TV shows in standard definition or 130 Hours in High Definition.

Edited by Over The Moon

Most of Xfinity's shows on their website are HD. This is between two huge gamers (several games are 3D) that stream videos and movies all the time.

A 3D game doesn't use anymore bandwidth than a regular game. Xfinity streaming doesn't count toward your data usage if its going through a cable box, only if its streaming through a computer. Streaming a 3D movie on the other hand (say on a ps3/4 xbone) is a much larger file than 2D and when I say a high-def movie I'm referring to a 1080p rez (Bluray quality) which could be 10gb or higher even in its compressed state.

A 3D game doesn't use anymore bandwidth than a regular game. Xfinity streaming doesn't count toward your data usage if its going through a cable box, only if its streaming through a computer. Streaming a 3D movie on the other hand (say on a ps3/4 xbone) is a much larger file than 2D and when I say a high-def movie I'm referring to a 1080p rez (Bluray quality) which could be 10gb or higher even in its compressed state.

It does not go through a cable box as we don't have that capability. It goes through our computers.

It does not go through a cable box as we don't have that capability. It goes through our computers.

Then you might fall into the group that will have to keep a eye on your usage. I would go and check your account history and see how much you have been using the past 3 months to be sure if you are under the 300gb mark. Its under My Services & Equipment, Data usage:View Details, to the right.

There is an easy fix for this. Sign for up for Comcast business internet, its a little higher but there are no data caps.

Is the internet speed any faster with business class account?