Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
ceesa

Turkey dinner

I like using the Turkey Roaster, it sits on the countertop and the turkey stays so moist. Of course you have to baste it and put seasonings in it, I only use garlic salt, maybe a little bit of Cajun seasonings and definately put the Cajun stuff on the rolls, even the little ones like that!!! Maybe put a can of chicken broth in the roasting pan, so it will create more juice, to use for the gravy and dressing!!

This is making me hungry!!!!

The old fashioned way. Raised in PA Dutch country. I stuff the turkey the night before with bread stuffing and bake him all night long! I keep it covered up until the last hour. I add a small amount of water when we start (or some ckn broth). During the night I get up and baste a time or two. By morning the house smells sooooooo good.

We usually smoke our Turkey, but this year I am thinking of getting one of the large turkey browning bags and cooking it in that. The browning bag will keep it very moist and it will allow it to brown nicely. No basting required.

Easy slow cooker recipe not as pretty as roast but easy and guaranteed fall of the bone moist .

INGREDIENTS

1 turkey breast, thawed in refrigerator

1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix

1 can cranberry sauce

DIRECTIONS

Place the turkey in the Crock Pot.

Mix together cranberry sauce and soup mix and pour over turkey.

Cook on high for 2 hours, then on low for 6 to 7 hours.

Edited by CitizenCain

The old fashioned way. Raised in PA Dutch country. I stuff the turkey the night before with bread stuffing and bake him all night long! I keep it covered up until the last hour. I add a small amount of water when we start (or some ckn broth). During the night I get up and baste a time or two. By morning the house smells sooooooo good.

what temp. to you cook it on all night?

My favorite way to cook turkey. Early on Thanksgiving morning, wake up the hubby and say, "honey, we're eating at 1:00, don't forget to put the turkey in the oven!" Just before lunchtime, the turkey is done. It's an easy recipe and always turns out fabulous!

A couple of years ago my hubby decided he wanted to cook the Thanksgiving turkey. I said "ok, have at it". He cooked it in the pressure cooker. Needless to say, it was a very large pressure cooker to hold a 16 pound or so turkey, but it turned out great. I can't remember how he cooked it but if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll look for the directions. I saw them a week or two ago and know where they are. The drawback to cooking it that way is you don't have the browned skin. But what you give up in browned skin you more than make up for in juicy, tender, flavorful turkey. It literally falls off the bone. If you want the nice pretty bird to sit on your table like the Norman Rockwell painting, this is NOT the way to cook the turkey. If you want ease of cooking, delicious meat and ease of clean up, this is the way to go.

I usually cook mine in a cooking bag, slice up some celery and onion to lay the turkey on. Stuff an onion in the bird. Rub with either butter (real butter) or light tasting olive oil and then season with seasoned pepper. Cook as per the directions on the cooking bag box or until the pop up timer pops up.

Turkey is my favorite meat other than steak. I could eat turkey just about every day of the year.

With all the bad media about Foster Farms on the west coast the last couple of months, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE follow the basic Home Ec 101 fules on poultry.

After you have brined, rinsed, seasoned, stuffed, and finished everything else to get your turkey into the smoker, fryer, or ovem......Soap and hot water scrub EVERYTHING!!!! Including the sink itself.

No one eats Rare Poultry. If you see pink or red juices, the critter is not done. The leg joint should wiggle freely, and for God's sake spent $10 on a decent meat thermometer and make sure you have the fird at least 165F. I check the breast, down to the bone, and then back the proble up 1/4" or so. And then again in the leg/thigh joint, not touching the bone.

MOST of the people who get food poisoning from poultry do so from cross contamination. You know, you had the turkey sitting in the sink, and rinsed it well, did your thing and put it in to cook. Then you tossed the head of lettuce in the sink to wash it. Problem is, you just contaminated it. Rinsing with cold water will not wash away aslmonella, Lysteria, or champhonlacter, all 3 of whcih can make you terribly ill.

If you trimmed the bird with a knife and cutting board, thoroughly wash everything with HOT water and SOAP!!!!! And your hands. And the faucet knobs in the sink, etc.

No one will ever get ill from a bird like this cooked to 165F. They get sick from the brain fart of using a platter or plate or knife, or something else that came into contact with the raw bird.

Bon Apetite' Y'all!!!drinks.gif

We are going to have a quiet Turkey day this year. For the past 20 years or so, we had family, friends, other students from Carroloton's international group, rotary club, church, etc.. .... and our kids. Now daughter and her family are in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexoci; and son and his new bride [who is pregnant by the way] are in San Fransisco.

so......for now, it is just the 2 of us.

Anyone needing some catering for Thanksgiving, let me know.

I'll fry a turkey for you, quartered [i think its foolish to fry a whole turkey. The breast will be overdone by the time the leg s are done. So I cut them up similar to a fried chicken. Breasts, Wings, Leg Quarters. And you can arrange them on a platter to still resemble a whole bird.

Or I will smoke one for you..... 2 maximum.

Or bake it, stuffed.

Gravy, with or without giblets.

Home made Cranberry Relsih, with fresh cranberries.

Basmati Rice, or Mashed Taters, and or Sweet potatoe Casserole with marshmellows on top

Outside Dressing. Or if you want a baked turkey we will stuff it with Bread s stuffing, or Cornbreadr, or a combo.

Biscuits from scratch.

All turkeys will be brined overnight to make them juicier.

Let me know if anyone is interested. This Turkey day will be a new experience for us without either of the kids or there 10-15 friends we have been used to having all these years.

We can negotiate and discuss prices. $25 to fry or smoke a turkey you supply 12-15 pounds.

A couple of years ago my hubby decided he wanted to cook the Thanksgiving turkey. I said "ok, have at it". He cooked it in the pressure cooker. Needless to say, it was a very large pressure cooker to hold a 16 pound or so turkey, but it turned out great. I can't remember how he cooked it but if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll look for the directions. I saw them a week or two ago and know where they are. The drawback to cooking it that way is you don't have the browned skin. But what you give up in browned skin you more than make up for in juicy, tender, flavorful turkey. It literally falls off the bone. If you want the nice pretty bird to sit on your table like the Norman Rockwell painting, this is NOT the way to cook the turkey. If you want ease of cooking, delicious meat and ease of clean up, this is the way to go.

I usually cook mine in a cooking bag, slice up some celery and onion to lay the turkey on. Stuff an onion in the bird. Rub with either butter (real butter) or light tasting olive oil and then season with seasoned pepper. Cook as per the directions on the cooking bag box or until the pop up timer pops up.

Turkey is my favorite meat other than steak. I could eat turkey just about every day of the year.

If you can get a rack under the bird in the pressure cooker, you can take it out before it is falling off the bone, and transfer it to an oven proof platter. Let it sit to cool for an hour or so, and then when ready to eat, slide the platter into a 500F oven for 4-6 minutes, and the skin will crisp up nicely. I prefer fried personally.

, son and his new bride [who is pregnant by the way] are in San Fransisco.

Congratulations!!:yahoo:

And I can't believe in this day and age, people don't know about sterilizing behind washing meat. I do it with everything . Besides scrubbing the sink with Comet, and wiping the counters with soap and water, I also wipe down with Clorox wipes. And don't forget to use a separate sponge or throw it in the microwave to kill the germs.

And always wash vegetables that will be eaten raw. They could be contaminated with e-coli or salmonella.

And I can't believe in this day and age, people don't know about sterilizing behind washing meat. I do it with everything . Besides scrubbing the sink with Comet, and wiping the counters with soap and water, I also wipe down with Clorox wipes. And don't forget to use a separate sponge or throw it in the microwave to kill the germs.

And always wash vegetables that will be eaten raw. They could be contaminated with e-coli or salmonella.

If you open the fridge or a cabinet while working with meat remember to wash the handle. Yes I am a fanatic.:ninja:

That is the way the wife used to do it. The problem is about 4:30/5:00 you wake up smelling that turkey and couldn't go back to sleep. Get up, drink coffee, and hope the paper is early!
  • Like 1

[/quote

You have to stop and consider that virtually every case of salmonellosis, or other such bacterial related food illness reported to the CDC came from cross contamination in the kitchen. 160F kills all these types of bacterial. I would guess from my experience watching, it is the sink that is most reposonsible. They toss the head of lettuce in the sink, rinse it and put it in the spinner or salad bowl, and thats all it takes.

Next I would guess is cooked poultry that sits out at room temperature too long, gets re-infected, and then they get sick.

I've used Alton Browns Good Eats Turkey brine and how to's for the last several years and it's a big hit.

None of my extended family are crazy about anykind of poultry--I know we're weird, but my bird gets devoured

every year. I have to hide some for leftovers to take home. lol

I've had great luck with the Pioneer womans recipes too, and she has a turkey how to also.

First, I buy a pkg. of 8 scrubby backed sponges at $ Tree to use for clean up during any poultry meal (then throw away) and make sure I have a bottle of Clorax Clean-up ready to go.

I put an opened 13 gallon trash bag in one side of the sink when taking poultry out of the pkg. so nothing drips on my floors.

(I have a double sink)

I get my husband to turn on the water to wash my hands and after the turkey is in the oven I bleach everything in the kitchen that could have even possibly gotten splattered with even one drop of raw turkey juice and then change my shirt, just in case.. I'm overly freaky about poultry juices. :blink:

Then a few days before, I take 2 sticks of magarine mash it in a bowl to soften, put in fresh herbs - Rosemary, thyme and parsley, sprinkle in poultry seasoning and sage, mix up well in the butter, put in in a baggie, roll it up and freeze it.

When I'm ready to cook the turkey I cut the frozen butter in rounds, loosen the skin at the breasts and put the butter under the skin. All the flavor is wonderful and the breasts stay moist.

Inside the cavity I cut large pieces of celery, apple and any left over butter / herb mix then add a can of chicken broth and water, if needed, to the pan and bake.

Moist and well seasoned.

Can't tell you how it smells because all I can smell at that point is Clorax. :lol: Just kidding.

Edited by tranquility

Brined and then Papi puts it on the smoker. :)

That's my way also. The first year I brined and smoked a turkey, I was suppose to be taking it to my mothers for thanksgiving the next day. It never made it out of the house. I had smoked the turkey the day before and brought it in the house to wrap it up and put it in the fridge for the next day. It set on the cabinet for 5 minutes before the family had surrounded it (it had to have been the best turkey I had ever cooked), and my son finally said "you know this thing ain't making it out of the house?", so we had turkey before thanksgiving and I ended up having to get up at 6am the next morning to brine and smoke another turkey for Thanksgiving Dinner at my mothers...

If you open the fridge or a cabinet while working with meat remember to wash the handle. Yes I am a fanatic.:ninja:

I don't touch anything until I'm through washing the meat. Then I wash my hands twice so I can get flour, seasoning etc and then when I finish I scrub everything down. I use the wipes because I can't stand to smell straight colorox.

Ground beef really scares me.

The latest I've heard from the so called experts is to not wash/rinse your poultry at all as it just splashes the germs all over the place. They say proper cooking is the only key to not getting sick. But I know come Turkey-day morning I'll prep the bird and that'll include a rinse in the sink.

My bird gets stuffed with my special recipe (if it wasn't in the bird it's not stuffing, it's dressing) and it cooks at 300 while we head to Marietta so the wife and kids can run the Gobblejog. When we get home it's near done. We usually cook one Thursday, for the whole family, and one Friday just for the left-overs but this year we're only doing one.

I am always looking for new recipes. What is your favorite Turkey recipe? Baked, fried, even crockpot.

I brine it and then put it in the oven. I love fried turkeys but I never do it myself...One of the things I will miss about the Navy. During the year I put turkey breast in the crock pot.

The latest I've heard from the so called experts is to not wash/rinse your poultry at all as it just splashes the germs all over the place. They say proper cooking is the only key to not getting sick. But I know come Turkey-day morning I'll prep the bird and that'll include a rinse in the sink.

I know that's the latest, but that has to pertain to folks that just don't clean up after themselves.

I've been washing meat since I've been cooking and that's several decades and no one has gotten sick yet. I HAVE to wash the meat, it has blood and bone fragments on it, and I'm washing that off and that includes steaks and pork chops. If it can be washed, it gets washed. LOL

Seriously, I just couldn't imagine not washing out a whole chicken with those bloody giblets stuffed inside.

I know that's the latest, but that has to pertain to folks that just don't clean up after themselves.

I've been washing meat since I've been cooking and that's several decades and no one has gotten sick yet. I HAVE to wash the meat, it has blood and bone fragments on it, and I'm washing that off and that includes steaks and pork chops. If it can be washed, it gets washed. LOL

Seriously, I just couldn't imagine not washing out a whole chicken with those bloody giblets stuffed inside.

I don't wash meat, the germs will be killed in the oven, who eats the inside of the chicken?...I guess if you stuff it, I would wash the inside, but I don't stuff my birds.................

Edited by DallasRED

The thought is that "splatter" goes places and seeps onto cracks and crevices that you just can't clean, especially when you're busy cooking a meal. It even splatters on your clothing, few change after prepping a bird. I suppose the proper way is to look like you're about to perform surgery, gown, mask, gloves....

And those giblets? They get cooked and cutup and thrown into the stuffing! just don't tell my kids.

I like The Kimmer's method: Upside down in an oven bag, with celery, onions & carrot and 1/2 a bottle of white wine. Add wine every hour until the bottle is empty and then baste when desired.

SUPER moist and flavorful bird and the best gravy on the earth!!!

Edited by ChocoMare