Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
lywilson

Traffic ticket fine based on driving record

Has anyone experienced paying a traffic ticket fine based on your driving record? The ticket was issued by a city police department(not Hiram, or Dallas)for not coming to a complete stop when turning right on red. It happened around 7:15 in the morning at a red light at the entrance of a public park. I do believe a fine should be paid (and it's not me who received the ticket), but the court clerk stated the fine of $247.00 was based on the driving record that they pulled even though the other situations were not issued by there department.

I think that $247.00 is out of line for this offense!! So, should the fine be paid up front or the court clerk said that the driver could come to court early that day and speak to the solicitor to see if the fine can be reduced.

Has anyone experienced paying a traffic ticket fine based on your driving record? The ticket was issued by a city police department(not Hiram, or Dallas)for not coming to a complete stop when turning right on red. It happened around 7:15 in the morning at a red light at the entrance of a public park. I do believe a fine should be paid (and it's not me who received the ticket), but the court clerk stated the fine of $247.00 was based on the driving record that they pulled even though the other situations were not issued by there department.

I think that $247.00 is out of line for this offense!! So, should the fine be paid up front or the court clerk said that the driver could come to court early that day and speak to the solicitor to see if the fine can be reduced.

It is standard practice. The court (judge) are free to assigne the fine as they see fit but it must remain within the boundries already set. Basically it is the coursts way of getting your attention. If you already have multiple citati ons especial the same, they will set a higher fine because you obviously do not get it and keep commiting the same offense. I pretty much caught the same lady 3 times in a year. Between me and some other LEOS we racked up enough points on her to finally have me arreat her for driving with a suspended license.

It is standard practice. The court (judge) are free to assigne the fine as they see fit but it must remain within the boundries already set. Basically it is the coursts way of getting your attention. If you already have multiple citati ons especial the same, they will set a higher fine because you obviously do not get it and keep commiting the same offense. I pretty much caught the same lady 3 times in a year. Between me and some other LEOS we racked up enough points on her to finally have me arreat her for driving with a suspended license.

This was first offense for this charge not coming to complete stop to turn right on red.

This was first offense for this charge not coming to complete stop to turn right on red.

I only explained why they do that. I have no idea over the actual fine issued. It could just as easily been meant that had they had a history with citations it could have been more.

It is not uncommon for criminal punishment, including traffic fines, to be in part determined by a person's history. The solicitor might be willing to reduce the fine - it certainly can't hurt to ask.

What she said. $247 including court and other fees is not much. I had to pay $100 to the courts after my 10 year opd son assaulted my wife and damaged our car. Talk about adding insult to injury. But when you are both the parent of the perpetrator and the victim what do you do.

Luckily your friend only got a ticket and wasn't hauled into the local hospital for a colonoscopy.

Edited by CitizenCain

Sign says STOP not slow down.

That is correct and why she received a ticket. I was just asking if this was normal practice to base the fine on someones driving record. I agree that the law was broken and a penalty/fine needs to be paid, but $247.00 seems a bit much.

Luckily your friend only got a ticket and wasn't hauled into the local hospital for a colonoscopy.

True that!! For the cost of the fine it's about the price of a medical procedure!!

I know they do it and there's probably not much you can really do about it,

but the fault I see in this is this...

I receive a speeding ticket and that ticket is $200, based on the amount of speed I am speeding over the limit.

Two months later, I get another speeding ticket for the same speed.

I'm issued another ticket and that ticket is now $300.

If they use the excuse they are basing it off my prior history, then they are not only fining

me for this infraction, they are charging me for the previous infraction, which is called "double jeopardy" and is illegal.

I wonder if this were fought, it it could be won under that pretense... <?>

• Like 1

I receive a speeding ticket and that ticket is $200, based on the amount of speed I am speeding over the limit.

If they use the excuse they are basing it off my prior history, then they are not only fining

me for this infraction, they are charging me for the previous infraction, which is called "double jeopardy" and is illegal.

I wonder if this were fought, it it could be won under that pretense... >

Interesting thought. I know this concept applies to to ALL aspects of the legal system though. Three strikes law, juvenile history cases up to regular court and repeat offenders. I do not think it is double jeopardy though. They are only looking at your prior history and trying to decide how to get your attention. Just think for a momment. How would a $500 fine affect Donald Trump and then how it affects a man earning $50, 000 / year trying to support his family.

A fellow from up north was driving the back roads of south Alabama one day.

He was coming up to a 4-way stop and could see for miles in all directions, no cars were coming from the left, the right or from in front.

The man slowed down as eased through the stop sign.

Where he didn't look was behind him, where the AL State Trooper was.

The trooper pulled the man over and told him he was being pulled over for failure to stop at the stop sign.

The man replied, "They put those stop signs at intersections in order to make crossing the intersection safe. I know I didn't stop, but as I could clearly see in all directions and I could see that no cars were on the roads, I slowed down to a safe speed and eased through the intersection. So the purpose of the stop sign, to make a safe crossing, was served."

The trooper replied, "The sign says stop, not slow down."

The man repeated his argument about the purpose of the stop sign and his being able to see no cars coming and his slowing down.

The trooper again replied that the sign says stop not slow down and again the man repeated his argument that the purpose of the sign was served, with the trooper again replying the sign said stop.

This went the same way for a few more minutes, with the trooper saying it says stop and the man saying the purpose was served, until finally the trooper ordered the man out of the car.

The trooper took out his night stick and started wailing away on the man, just beating him fast and furious.

While still whacking the man with his nightstick, the trooper asked, "Now, do you want me to stop? Or just slow down?"

The joke was not aimed at the OP, it is just a joke.

ETA In fact, it is an old, old joke.

Sign says STOP not slow down.

I see too many drivers who do not stop at the STOP sign nor at the red light. They just roar on through and turn right, which is wrong. I always stop but I also look in my rear view to make sure that the person behind me also stops rather than rolling on through and hitting me.

You friggin slay me!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A fellow from up north was driving the back roads of south Alabama one day.

He was coming up to a 4-way stop and could see for miles in all directions, no cars were coming from the left, the right or from in front.

The man slowed down as eased through the stop sign.

Where he didn't look was behind him, where the AL State Trooper was.

The trooper pulled the man over and told him he was being pulled over for failure to stop at the stop sign.

The man replied, "They put those stop signs at intersections in order to make crossing the intersection safe. I know I didn't stop, but as I could clearly see in all directions and I could see that no cars were on the roads, I slowed down to a safe speed and eased through the intersection. So the purpose of the stop sign, to make a safe crossing, was served."

The trooper replied, "The sign says stop, not slow down."

The man repeated his argument about the purpose of the stop sign and his being able to see no cars coming and his slowing down.

The trooper again replied that the sign says stop not slow down and again the man repeated his argument that the purpose of the sign was served, with the trooper again replying the sign said stop.

This went the same way for a few more minutes, with the trooper saying it says stop and the man saying the purpose was served, until finally the trooper ordered the man out of the car.

The trooper took out his night stick and started wailing away on the man, just beating him fast and furious.

While still whacking the man with his nightstick, the trooper asked, "Now, do you want me to stop? Or just slow down?"

The joke was not aimed at the OP, it is just a joke.

ETA In fact, it is an old, old joke.

I have to say, you actually made me laugh on this one!!! You are not right, sir!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I see too many drivers who do not stop at the STOP sign nor at the red light. They just roar on through and turn right, which is wrong. I always stop but I also look in my rear view to make sure that the person behind me also stops rather than rolling on through and hitting me.

My daughter get's mad at me and tells me I sit at the stop sign to long. I tell her, you are suppose to come to a complete stop and look at all directions where there is a road. She then proceeds to say, not 15 minutes. Teenagers, they drive you insane. On, the people behind me, they always get right on my bumper when I come to a complete stop at stop signs. It's very annoying. I just went through this, yesterday when I was going to and from Douglasville.

Question:

What do you bring as proof to court if the posted speed limit sign is different than what is written on a citation? I admit I was speeding, but the speed limit is wrong.

Question:

What do you bring as proof to court if the posted speed limit sign is different than what is written on a citation? I admit I was speeding, but the speed limit is wrong.

Pictures and a copy of the certified RADAR operating zones from the local agency.

I wonder if this were fought, it it could be won under that pretense... <?>

So, I guess this fine is being partly based on a ticket she received and on her record for "driving to fast for conditions". The "conditions" were a solid sheet of ice all the way across one side of the road to the other on Bethel Church Rd. When she came around the curve, the road was a skating rink and a postal truck was already in the ditch due to the ice and of course she hit the ice and lost control and went into the ditch as well. We went to Paulding Probate court entered a not guilty plea, had pictures of the road conditions and everything. And guess what? You guessed it GUILTY and a $159.00 fine!! The Ga State Patrol based his reason on the ticket that no other cars had wrecked that day, so she must have been driving to fast for conditions.

Like I said in earlier post I agree to a fine for this charge not coming to a complete stop turning right on red, and also trying to teach a lesson. I don't agree with small cities and sometimes large counties taking advantage and jacking up a fine to generate revenue.

Word for the wise, make sure you watch your traffic behavior at the red light to the entrance of Kenworth Park.

Edited by topfuelgirl

Where would you get that information from?

Pictures you take. The other... I was given a list of the RARAR approved streets. They actually list the road and the speed with coverage areas. I would guess an open records request from the jurisdiction.

Where would you get that information from?

I believe the DOT does the survey's of the roads and they are submitted to the state for approval for RADAR.

You should be able to get a list of the roads from DOT.

Pictures you take. The other... I was given a list of the RARAR approved streets. They actually list the road and the speed with coverage areas. I would guess an open records request from the jurisdiction.

Is this for highways too? This was @ I-20 at Post Rd.

Is this for highways too? This was @ I-20 at Post Rd.

Hmmmm. The GSP plays by a whole different set of rules. I can't answer that. Sorry.

This was Douglas county, not GSP.

Douglas co should have a list of RADAR approved locations within the county. What that basically means is that they have already removed those that are within a city. They conform to certain physical standards ie not too much grade among others which would include proper road signage. And they will state what the enforcible speed limit is. It should be a matter of public record but other than that I can not tell you how best to obtain a copy.