yo! ×
Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
crossroads

Are you for or against the airport?

Airport?   

136 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or aganist the airport? Yes is for the airport. No is against the airport.

How are you suppose to answer that?

Yes, you are for, or No you are for?

Yes, your are against, or No you are against?

What's done is done. It's already there so I feel we should make the best out of it that they can. If this is going to bring in revenue and create jobs I really don't understand why the majority of people aren't for it. I can understand why people are upset about the way it came about and I can also understand if the people who live near there are upset.

Edited by brown*eyed*girl
  • Like 2

Don't know, doesn't really affect me either way. If it brings jobs to the area and it is already there guess it's a YES. I am 15 minutes from ATL and I cant even hear the planes, but every time I go outside I can see them up in the air. Every 90 sec.......................

For, so I voted yes. It c/should have been worded different.

It's here, might as well make the very best if it.

And just so you know, in the winter time when the leaves are gone I can see the runway lights from the northwest side of my porch. I'm probably 5 miles from it the way the crow flies. Maybe not that far.

How are you suppose to answer that?

Yes, you are for, or No you are for?

Yes, your are against, or No you are against?

Yes, you are for the airport

No, you are against the airport.

It will not effect me either way, so I really did not care.

Then I saw where Kasim Reed is against it and plans to fight it. Now I say full steam ahead. Hope it starts very soon.

What business is it of Kasim's what Paulding County does?

• Like 1

Yes the airport that wasn't going to cost us a dime is costing us a lot of money. I know several people asked about maintenance of the airport after it was built. Was it going to cost the taxpayers $$$? The answer from those that were for the airport said it would pay for itself. It would never be a burden on the taxpayers and would provide 5-600 jobs.

So I didn't vote. I'm all for jobs and manufacturing. I'm all for bringing industry to Paulding. That can and should be done without having to bring passenger planes to the airport. Cedartown and Rockmart have done it for years, Rome has done it for years........all without interstate access. Heck they did it with 2 lane roads well before the 4 lane.

It's a money pit that will never be self sustaining. So I don't believe anything they tell us about jobs until I see a contract, I see actual companies signing contracts at the airport.

Think about it, "a couple of flights a week" won't even pay the rent let alone generate income. Silver Comet Partners/Terminal are Delaware corporations with Atlanta offices. Will they even pay any taxes to Paulding?

Sorry I just don't believe for one minute this will bring all those promised jobs.

• Like 11

Yes the airport that wasn't going to cost us a dime is costing us a lot of money. I know several people asked about maintenance of the airport after it was built. Was it going to cost the taxpayers $$$? The answer from those that were for the airport said it would pay for itself. It would never be a burden on the taxpayers and would provide 5-600 jobs.

So I didn't vote. I'm all for jobs and manufacturing. I'm all for bringing industry to Paulding. That can and should be done without having to bring passenger planes to the airport. Cedartown and Rockmart have done it for years, Rome has done it for years........all without interstate access. Heck they did it with 2 lane roads well before the 4 lane.

It's a money pit that will never be self sustaining. So I don't believe anything they tell us about jobs until I see a contract, I see actual companies signing contracts at the airport.

Think about it, "a couple of flights a week" won't even pay the rent let alone generate income. Silver Comet Partners/Terminal are Delaware corporations with Atlanta offices. Will they even pay any taxes to Paulding?

Sorry I just don't believe for one minute this will bring all those promised jobs.

What I am thinking about is these newly formed company(ies) that are promising to pay the interest on the bond until the FAA reimburses files bankruptcy leaving the county on the hook for the payments because the deal ends up being a total flop. Most hedge funds are set in a manner that they are making a management fee off managing other folks money, if they make money for their clients, they got a % of the profits, if the deal goes bust, well they still have the management fee income-- so no loss to them if the deal goes bad, just more taxes for PC residents and we can thank the Austin Admin and Airport Authority for this one-- nothing like privatizing profits and sticking it the taxpayers with corporate losses...

• Like 7

It just amazes me, the numbers of people that are for JOBS, JOBS, JOBS as long as they are not directly impacted. An airport is the most depised neighbor of any industry you could bring into any area. And if you think it is going to lower taxes, you are dreaming. Go to Clayton county and Fulton County and see what the taxes are. Where is people's compassion for their Paulding neighbors that are going to be severely impacted? Just remenmber the next time the Board of Commisioners sneaks in a deal, it just might be in your backyard.

• Like 10

It just amazes me, the numbers of people that are for JOBS, JOBS, JOBS as long as they are not directly impacted. An airport is the most depised neighbor of any industry you could bring into any area. And if you think it is going to lower taxes, you are dreaming. Go to Clayton county and Fulton County and see what the taxes are. Where is people's compassion for their Paulding neighbors that are going to be severely impacted? Just remenmber the next time the Board of Commisioners sneaks in a deal, it just might be in your backyard.

Yep PC taxpayers are going to be in a continuous cycle of feeding Hartsfield Jr aka Silver Comet Field via increased taxes, plenty of more bond issuances to come. I don't believe a 6000 foot runway is going to be sufficient- try 7000 to 9000. Branson MO is a very interesting case study- only private commercial airport in US, although a common model in Europe. They have a 7000 foot runway. A study done concerning the feasibility of a 2nd airport in Atlanta assumed a 9000 foot runway..

For 9000 feet they would have to back up the eastern end over the subdivision and or build a bridge over 278.

I want to see industry and jobs. We were willing to give up

Our piece of paradise and welcome an office industrial park to come in around us. But the BoC over rode us and approved a PRD instead for 550 houses. They built 100 and pulled out leaving an unfinished weed overgrown mess.

Not to mention the $1.5 Million in legal fees, plus the county attorney fees spent by the BoC just to keep our suits out of the courtroom the past 7+ years. Gosh, that's almost half the bond amount they want to spend at the airport.

But then again, the law firm in Atlanta getting paid for litigating us is very benevelant and donates a healthy amount back to Paulding elected officials via 3rd party donations.

• Like 1

If they want it that bad they should by out Clear Creek which is the subdivision it would effect.

Everyone is for something as long as it does not effect them. I am against it for the fact of the underhanded way it was

brought to light. Next thing will be a Marta type public transportation. Have you ever really noticed what that does to a county?. In my opinion

not a good thing. Yes, it may bring in jobs but at what cost? I feel it would hurt more than help. Most people that would work there would not

even be from this county. Ride around Hartsfield and see if you would want to live there. There is a school right across the road, would you want

your child there never knowing if a passenger plane might not make it to the airport.

Sorry about double spaced lines, not sure what happened.

• Like 1

How long have most of the residents around the airport been there? I know some homes were built afterward and some were existing.

Most of the homes were here along with a school. As far as I know no new homes have been built since Bush and his

buddy's broke the country.

I have been against it ever since they first tried this in the early 80's. We stopped it then, that is why they

built it with out any approval of the people this time. I would place a bet that the only people that

will benefit is the higher up's in Paulding govt. The next possible thing is when it goes under

Atlanta will buy it out since they own all the land around it on both side of the road and else where.

That would let them do what they wanted in the first place.

The people need to get together and hire a private investigator to check out the county politicians that

are involved. I'm sure if it was followed far enough something would be found. I for one would

be willing to help. Has anyone found anything on who Silver Comet corp is? Propeller is a

investment company, and is doing this for someone else. Other county's had enough people

that were smart enough to see through the whole thing and stopped it, but someone higher

up here either is to stupid to see what is happening or is going to make a bunch of money.

• Like 2

Most of the homes were here along with a school. As far as I know no new homes have been built since Bush and his

Clear Creek was started in 2004 I believe.

How long have most of the residents around the airport been there? I know some homes were built afterward and some were existing.

Been in Hulseytown 26 years.

Hot dang, I knew it would be Bushe's fault somehow.

• Like 2

What's done is done. It's already there so I feel we should make the best out of it that they can. If this is going to bring in revenue and create jobs I really don't understand why the majority of people aren't for it. I can understand why people are upset about the way it came about and I can also understand if the people who live near there are upset.

You took the words right out of my mouth! Now where do I apply for a job?

• Like 1

You took the words right out of my mouth! Now where do I apply for a job?

You're going to have a long wait. They've been promising those jobs since they decided it would be a good idea to build the airport. Twice, the people voted against it because they knew it would be a taxpayer money pit. So far we can say, "Told ya so". Sadly I think it will be that way 10 years from now.

Who the heck is going to drive to Paulding County to catch a plane?

• Like 2

You're going to have a long wait. They've been promising those jobs since they decided it would be a good idea to build the airport. Twice, the people voted against it because they knew it would be a taxpayer money pit. So far we can say, "Told ya so". Sadly I think it will be that way 10 years from now.

Good thing I have a good job I'm just sick of commuting and God help me if I still live in PC in 10 years

• Like 3

I'm just waiting on all of the great jobs the airport is going to create...and yes I know it takes years and years..heard it all before. There are no more jobs in Paulding County than there were two years ago.

Actually fear well paying jobs than 5-10 years ago. But hopefully that us starting to change and improve.

Interroll will bring jobs with their new facility and some of their suppliers who will follow them here

The airport??? Who knows.

Good thing I have a good job I'm just sick of commuting and God help me if I still live in PC in 10 years

You and me both Doll.........it's just too hard to live here. All of the bs that's goes on......a bit too much.

• Like 2

Totally against it. Most of the jobs will be given to people with experience. Along with the airport will come Marta next. Most of the folks that were born and raised will move further away and Paulding County will become a little Atlanta. It won't happen over night but give it ten to fifteen years and I bet those that wanted the airport will be gone from Paulding County to.

• Like 1

Totally against it. Most of the jobs will be given to people with experience. Along with the airport will come Marta next. Most of the folks that were born and raised will move further away and Paulding County will become a little Atlanta. It won't happen over night but give it ten to fifteen years and I bet those that wanted the airport will be gone from Paulding County to.

Why would they hire people with no experience?

• Like 2

1. Have you considered all the donations from citizens, businessess and fundraisers?

2. You can only provide jobs at the airport if you make it "attractive" to potential users, i.e. Propeller. It was one of the deciding factors when "Hollywood" decided to come here, no complaints heard about that.

3.If you are for jobs and manufacturing, why are you against the airport, it will bring in jobs and manufacturing.

Yes the airport that wasn't going to cost us a dime is costing us a lot of money.

(Have you considered how many citizens and businesses have donated to the airport, fundraisers etc?)[b][/b] I know several people asked about maintenance of the airport after it was built. Was it going to cost the taxpayers $$$? The answer from those that were for the airport said it would pay for itself. It would never be a burden on the taxpayers and would provide 5-600 jobs.

Edited by RedRose

Why would they hire people with no experience?

Well someone keeps saying those jobs will be better paying and more honorable than flipping burgers. Those MickyD workers probably won't get the chance to work there (even if there are jobs). Unless they open a MickyDs at the airport, but then they'd have to pass a background check........it will be a federally secured facility. ;)

That land was sold many,many years ago with the intent of putting in an airport. At first it was going to be the Atlanta airpot "extention" but Paulding put one in since no progress was being made. So anyone building in that area could have gone to the courthouse, viewed the open records and then decide if they wanted to live there. It is our own responsibility to research areas we are intending to live.

• Like 1

Heard rumor that Alligent (sp?) air is looking at moving in. Go for it!! I would be thrilled to have a low cost carrier right down the road. Looked at their site - $60 to get to disney. I'll take it. As that company grows - we might be able to fly home (Roanoke) easier than driving finally.

Folks - this is not that big of deal. I've been through this kind of development in four major areas on the east coast in my life. It's the same arguments, the same accusations, the same everything. And, you know what - none of those communities died, none of those communities were a worse place to live. It's just progress/development/etc. It comes - it happens. The fact is that this trajectory was set almost 30 years ago when Paulding County (whomever it was - I wasn't here then) put this county on a path of being a metro Atlanta county. The rest of this is just fighting windmills. Not saying that fighting windmills is a bad thing - but it's probably not going to turn back the hands of time 30 years.

• Like 6

Cobb County and Paulding residents. I would have loved to had an airport those 4 years I drove to the Airport to pick up/drop off my husband. If Paulding was flying planes now and paid well we would have moved back to Paulding instead of buying another house closer to ATL. But I bet the drive would still be longer, love being able to hop on the Interstate...85 is awesome......

Hot dang, I knew it would be Bushe's fault somehow.

What for once it's not Obamas fault :rofl: :blink:

Heard rumor that Alligent (sp?) air is looking at moving in. Go for it!! I would be thrilled to have a low cost carrier right down the road. Looked at their site - $60 to get to disney. I'll take it. As that company grows - we might be able to fly home (Roanoke) easier than driving finally.

Folks - this is not that big of deal. I've been through this kind of development in four major areas on the east coast in my life. It's the same arguments, the same accusations, the same everything. And, you know what - none of those communities died, none of those communities were a worse place to live. It's just progress/development/etc. It comes - it happens. The fact is that this trajectory was set almost 30 years ago when Paulding County (whomever it was - I wasn't here then) put this county on a path of being a metro Atlanta county. The rest of this is just fighting windmills. Not saying that fighting windmills is a bad thing - but it's probably not going to turn back the hands of time 30 years.

I don't fly low cost Airlines. Just look at South West parts flying off etc...No Thanks...........

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/04/02/southwest-airlines-flight-812-why-planes-fall-apart.html

And don't forget good ol' Spirit just a few days ago

http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/2022059541_apxtravelspiritairlinesplaneproblem.html

Edited by DallasRED
  • Like 1

Here's another one for you: (hope the kiddos don't get to see that on the way to The Mouse House:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/18/travel/couple-fined-oral-sex-airplane/

Something to consider.... Crime is higher near airports. You are 4 times more likely to become a victim of crime near an airport. The area around Hartsfield is a fine example. If that happens, home values will go down. Not a good scenario for a county which gets it's tax base from such. So I say, "No."

• Like 1