Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Clifford Davids

How I first discovered the story of Southern Airways Flight 242

This article also includes an emotional photo of co-pilot Lyman W. Keele's wife as she hurriedly arrives at Kennestone Hospital after the crash.

You can find it directly at:

http://ashevilleoralhistoryproject.com/about-flight-242/

Thank you.

Clifford Davids

I love it when you post information that most of us will never have access to. Thank you! So many of these pictures evoke an emotion that is hard to describe, my chest always gets tight when I see pics of this tragedy that happened 1/4 mile from my house. I was 14 when this happened and I had never even heard of Paulding county. It's weird how I ended up living practically on the crash sight.

I love it when you post information that most of us will never have access to. Thank you! So many of these pictures evoke an emotion that is hard to describe, my chest always gets tight when I see pics of this tragedy that happened 1/4 mile from my house. I was 14 when this happened and I had never even heard of Paulding county. It's weird how I ended up living practically on the crash sight.

I too am not from this area and was not here when this tragedy happened, you say your chest gets tight when you view these pictures..I've often wondered how these pictures affect those that were here and suffered the reality of this.Also I know of a person that worked at Paulding Hospital at the time this took place lets not forget how our small hospital stepped up to play a very large role in the treatment of the injured they too have pictures from that time posted.

Edited by LuvsCats

I too am not from this area and was not here when this tragedy happened, you say your chest gets tight when you view these pictures..I've often wondered how these pictures affect those that were here and suffered the reality of this.

I can't imagine.

I was sitting in a 4H meeting at New Hope Elementary when the plane hit. It took my parents 5 hours to get through the road blocks to get me. We stood in the Now Hope cemetary in the rain with the country extension agent and a state trooper while the rescue efforts took place and everything burned.

I was sitting in a 4H meeting at New Hope Elementary when the plane hit. It took my parents 5 hours to get through the road blocks to get me. We stood in the Now Hope cemetary in the rain with the country extension agent and a state trooper while the rescue efforts took place and everything burned.

W-O-W! That scares me..........for your parents and for you.

I wonder why she would go to Kennestone? I mean her husband was killed on impact and bodies were taken to a make shift morgue in Dallas, and most survivors taken to Paulding Hospital.And how did she get here so fast? I thought they lived out of state? Oh well it was a chaotic time I'm sure.

Interesting questions. Since this was a regional airline I would figure they lived in the Atlanta area.

Maybe ...just a sad thing for everyone.

I had the pleasure of meeting the family of the founder of Southern. They are extremely nice people. My meeting them was unfortunately due to some tragic circumstances in their family.

Flight 242 has always been a very personal thing for me,even though I wasn't even born yet.We lost 8 family members in the crash (on the ground).

Edited by MrsApple

Flight 242 has always been a very personal thing for me,even though I wasn't even born yet.We lost 8 families in the crash (on the ground).

I think you meant to say you lost 8 family members??unknw.gif

yes,yes I did :blush:

I'm so very sorry for your loss even if you were not born at the time.All I read about the crash I can only imagine what the people of New Hope went through.