Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
surepip

What foods will you NOT eat ?

Admittedly, we don't waste much of anything around our kitchen. And I can remember many a time, being told of not wasting anything more off the animal than the oink, cluck or moo.

Hearts and gizzards are a given. Properly prepared they can be really devine. Tender, sweet, and $1 a pound for pure meat protein. Livers, not so much by themselves, although fried up in a won-ton wrapper with sweet and sour sauce they are tasty. And we LOVE Pate', but it has to be prepared properly and needs a good shot of cognac.

I generally prefer to buy the whole chickens, depending on the price. We prefer the dark meat, and want the white meat with the skin. The backs, necks, giblets and wing tips go in the freezer for soup stocks.

Rabbit, dove, quail, venison, even pheasant can have exceptional taste [can you say "Free Range" ?], but for all the birds I want them plucked, not skinned, and that is a challenge now that I have no hunting dogs, not hunting buddies, and nowhere to hunt.

Frog legs ? Wonderful. Best I ever ate was a hole in the wall backwoods place in the hinterlands of west Brasil. Near Campo Verde, about 1500 miles from the coast. The dining room was a block wall knee high, and screens, and a concrete floor. Menu was slaw, black beans, french fries, fried tilapia and frog legs. They were on a river/lake, and the frogs were ginourmous. I ate until I was about to burst.

The fancy Brasilian Chuhascarias, like Fogo du Chao in Buckhead have all kinds of exotic amazonian creatures. Croccodile, Caiman, snake, etc. They also consider the "hump" on the Brahma Bull a delicacy. I prefer my beef rare, but this cut is about 50% fat, but with a nice flavor.

On the down side....I never cared much for Eel. Common in Holland and France, I found the meat to be too greasy. And the canals/rivers they come from of questionable repute.

Snails, or escargot ? Pretty good eating, similar to salt water mussells, but really just an excuse to sop up the garlic butter with the baguettes.

Scottish Haggis. I'm not a fan of oatmeal right of the bat, but what they do with it is pretty awful. In a sheep's stomach, they chop up all the other organ meats, some seasonings, onion, etc., and oatmeal, sew it closed, and boil it. That one did little for me, and just to be sure I tried it twice.

In Morocco and Algieria, and some of southern France, they serve a Cous-Cous dish in a giant Tangine, one of those earthen ware pots that looks like a Teepee, on a bed of the tiny pasta. One of the more unusual varieties was a sheep's head. Complete with eyeballs. No I did not try the eyeballs or brain, but I did pull off the jaw and neck meat and it was damn good.

Mexico has their Barbacoa. A whole young goat [cabrito] roasted in a rock lined pit in the ground. They build a blazing wood fire up above the ground level. When it has burned down to red/orange coals, the lower in the goat wrapped in avocado leaves and banana leaves, etc. and put various veggies etc wrapped up as well all around it. They lower it down in a giant metal pan and then cover it with layers of leaves and a foot or more of dirt. And leave it cooking like that all day.

Its a big deal with the unbury the treasure, and bring up the pan, and it was damn good. Wonderful flavors.

I guess my only food pickyness it doneness. I want my vegetables crunchy.....al dente.....or raw, or just warmed. Can't stand over cooked cabbage, caulflower, squash casseroles, limp broccoli, etc. Same for spinach, etc., although I do like a good wilted salad of belgian endive, or radichio, or curly escarole with parmesean cheese and balsamic vinegar.

So what don't you eat ?

It would be a much shorter list if you asked what I do eat.

Fruit - Won't eat anything other than banana, orange or apple

Veggies - I will eat raw carrots and celery, but nothing else

Starch - I'll eat Potatoes and corn and most breads

Meat - I'll eat pretty much any kind of meat. I don't eat much fish, and I don't eat crab, lobster, crawfish, etc. I will eat shrimp though.

Liver--too much iron and I have to avoid that. Raw oysters because they could kill me.

Don't really care for any organ meat mostly because of the texture.

Don't think I'd care for snails or haggis.

Pretty much anything else that doesn't bite me first.pardon.gif

Had fresh crab last night. It tried to escape. I was able to corral it with my kitchen tongs and get it back in the pot. Hubby would have brought home the shark he caught if he had known how to clean it and had some idea how to cook it.

LOVE venison but haven't had any in a long time.

Haven't tried gator but would like to. Have had rattlesnake, squirrel, dove, quail and wild turkey (too dry IMO). They were all OK but not something I'd want on a regular basis. I'm more of a veggie or seafood eater with an occasional KFC, steak or pork chop.

Mainly things from the neurological side of the critters. Lots of funky things in the neurological systems that can and have transferred over to humans, so I personally stay away from the stuff. I'm not a huge fan of overly sweet things. Sweets have never been a big thing over at my house. Otherwise I'm game for just about anything else edible...

I don't eat lamb, liver, beets, hearts or gizzards of anything, snails or chocolate that is not mixed with peanuts or peanut butter. I just don't like these foods. Especially lamb :bad:

I don't eat lamb, liver, beets, hearts or gizzards of anything, snails or chocolate that is not mixed with peanuts or peanut butter. I just don't like these foods. Especially lamb :bad:

I'm a picky eater, but I LOVE some well prepared lamb chops.

Any "head" organ, eyes, brains, etc. oh and foie gras, had it once outside of Paris and no joke it tasted like what I would imagine poo would taste like. I hear when it's bad....it's really bad so I guess I got the really bad. I was surprised that I disliked it so much cause I love liver.

I'm not a picky eater, my mother was a big fan of good food so our diets were very balanced.

I don't like lamb, veal, duck, venison or rabbit. Chicken is not one of my favorites either but I'll eat it. I like pork chops but I really like red meat. A big steak and a baked potato are my favorites.

Only thing that comes to mind is blood pudding.

Thanks for the reminder. My mother had to make several blood based foods for my father. Just a fabulous cooking smell. :bad:

She would go to the slaughter house with a big thermos. If it got cold, it was considered spoiled. At least, that's what I was told.

I will never forget that smell.

I don't think there is anything that I would go on record saying I would not eat it. One thing that I had the opportunity to eat a number of times when I was a kid and didn't was mountain oysters. I used to go to south Georgia and camp in the swamp for a week with my uncle and three of his buddies. Three of the four were hog farmers and it was always at the time of year when they would all castrate their pigs. Their big feast on the first night was to cook up a dishpan full of hog balls, drink liquor and stay up half the night telling tall tales. But I fished my butt off that day to make sure I had something to eat besides hangy-downs off of a pig. Now I wish I had at least tried it.

Any "head" organ, eyes, brains, etc. oh and foie gras, had it once outside of Paris and no joke it tasted like what I would imagine poo would taste like. I hear when it's bad....it's really bad so I guess I got the really bad. I was surprised that I disliked it so much cause I love liver.

I'm not a picky eater, my mother was a big fan of good food so our diets were very balanced.

If you like liver, straight up, and did NOT like Foie Gras, then it was bad, prepared really, really bad.

Fresh, which we have been fortunate to get in France many times, canned in jars, canned in tins, or frozen. Fresh is superior, by far, but is just ridiculous in price anywhere except Paris and the Loire Valley, where most of it comes from. We chill the lobes, and slice them 3/8" thick or so, and saute them in a non stick skillet with some top grade olive oil or butter. The stuff is 75% fat, so you have to REALLY watch that they only brown slightly. Serve the medallions on a bed of fresh arugula, with a sauce made from the pan drippings, some good red wine and balsamic vinegar. Oh my God Becky. That is good, good, good. Need some good baguettes for sopping up all juices and wiping the plate clean.

A good Rhone Valley wine, from a Cote du Rhone to a Carcassone to a Chateau Nuf de'Pap to go along is devine.

And we like ALL the rest of the duck. Best is boned breast, with the skin scored, saute'd over medium heat skin side down. Then skin side up....medium rare so the inside is still pinkish red. So sweet and succulent. And Duck Confit. The leg quarters and wings, cooked in a big casserole dish with rendered duck fat, some garlic, seasonings [herbs du provence] and pepper. Bake, covered in the fat, for 12-14 hours at 220F. It will keep in the fridge for months. Pull out 2 leg quarters, and set them in a skillet. The cold fat that's on them is plenty, and just brown up the skin sides until a bit crisply. Serve with rice or pasta and a wine reduction sauce made with the drippings, stock, and redwine.

Actually now in France, the boneless breast from the duck is becoming a by product, and are cheaper than boneless chicken breasts. The Foie Gras is first, then the confit, then the breasts are actually now like chicken leg quarters here.....the left overs to sell of cheaper.

Thanks for the reminder. My mother had to make several blood based foods for my father. Just a fabulous cooking smell. :bad:

She would go to the slaughter house with a big thermos. If it got cold, it was considered spoiled. At least, that's what I was told.

I will never forget that smell.

I have had some English Blood Pudding and Meat Pies which were actually quite tasty, and I have enjoyed some blood sausages in Germany and Holland that are good, but spicy.

sardines, because they stink

The Spanish are really big on fried sardines as a finger food appetizer, bones and all. As well as Pulpito.....baby ocopus. They look like flattened out spiders when fried up right.

Worked with a fella one time that grew up on a S. Pacific island, tribally, and he related how they would cook a goat, an entire goat, and eat the whole damn thing. He said generally the goat would feed his village for an entire week since some parts took longer to prepare than others. The favorite bit seemed to be the eyes, the boys would all compete for those, and the most hated part was the hoofs, but boil them long enough and they were edible.

We got on the subject cos he knew where Paulding county was since he came out here on special occasions to buy goats to cook. That is until the owner who was selling these goats inquired as to why he was always buying them. Seems the goat owner was selling them for pets/milking and became offended when he discovered the fella he was selling them to was rendering them down for dinner.

Personally I'll eat about anything except for offal based dishes.

I am very picky about what kinds of fish I will eat. A few weeks ago I cooked some crawdads. I would not touch them. Hubby ended up eating all of them because the kids wouldn't touch them either. I will not eat those Ramen noodle things. I will not eat inside body parts, like hearts, livers, etc. I do not like hotdogs unless I have chili. I do not like English peas.

Chicken is something I will eat, but I have to be in the mood for.

I love red meat. A good New York Strip with a loaded baked potato and steamed lobster is my fav.

Hubby says I am picky because I won't eat those nasty Ramen noodle things or hotdogs without chili. But, in all actuality, he's the picky one because he will not eat many veggies. He will only eat corn, green beans and English peas. He will eat salad, but not much else as far as veggies. If I cook squash or fried green tomatoes (YUM!) he says, "That's just nasty."

Meat, Seafood, Beets, Brussel Sprouts, Cornbread, Beer, Pies, Cakes, (Except for Cheesecake), white bread, beans, corn. There is more, I just can't think of them. lol

Don't think there is any food that I wouldn't try. I ate many things that most would cringe at when I was in Hong Kong and in Japan or other countries. By the way Surepip, the Japanese Eel is the best. Its called Unagi. You can find it in most Sushi bars in the USA. Its not raw and tastes really good.

One thing I have eaten that I might not eat again is Balut.

A balut or balot is a developing duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as street food in the Philippines. They are common food in countries in Southeast Asia, such as Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

If you like liver, straight up, and did NOT like Foie Gras, then it was bad, prepared really, really bad.

I tried it once at Mix in Las Vegas, I'm assuming since we paid an arm and a leg for the meal it should have been good, but I really didn't like it.

I really like braunschweiger which is liver based, but pork instead. I made the mistake of thinking they would taste similar. They do not.

Meat, Seafood, Beets, Brussel Sprouts, Cornbread, Beer, Pies, Cakes, (Except for Cheesecake), white bread, beans, corn. There is more, I just can't think of them. lol

So it is safe to say you didn't come south for the food. :blink:

• Like 2

So it is safe to say you didn't come south for the food. :blink:

Smart butt! Hey, I eat, okra, and drink sweet tea!

no GMO's genetically Modified Foods... Wait a minute... Thats all we eat... I wont eat Indian Fry Bread. Had some at Tunnel Hill one Summer. That was a mistake. And you all need to remember Aspartame... It does a body good!!!!!

Edited by barrycdog

Circus peanuts.

I agree - those things are disgusting. :)

No chicken livers, eggs, cottage cheese, cherries, milk or sweet tea for me (and yes, I am a Southerner). :)

I agree - those things are disgusting. :)

No chicken livers, eggs, cottage cheese, cherries, milk or sweet tea for me (and yes, I am a Southerner). :)

SWEET TEA????

Are you a communist??

LOL

I don't care for pickled beets, takes me back to school days when they would slop those purple things on your tray....Otherwise, whatcha got?

SWEET TEA????

Are you a communist??

LOL

Great minds think alike - that is exactly what my husband calls me every time I mention the "sweet tea" thing. :lol:

And oh yeah spucketts - pickled beets are awful. Forgot that one. :lol:

I also think I might be the only kid in the universe that didn't like the cafeteria yeast rolls at school - all the kids used to fight over mine.

Edited by Beach Bum

Frog~ NO. I often keep and raise frogs as pets and just...no. My husband eats them just to piss me off, and I won't kiss him for the entire day :ninja:.

My list of yucks...

Alligator, lizard or snake~No, just because~gross :o.

Duck, Greasy and nasty, ewwww.

Pigs feet, or skin or ears or any 'odd' part *gag*.

Pickled eggs.

No organ meat (of anything).

Hummus *gag*.

Pimento cheese spread.

Raw fish.

Lobster.

Sardines.

Clam Chowder, I like clams, just not in a soup. It smells gross :p .

Fried Rice, actually most Chinese food...

Most sausage (especially bratwurst).

All pickled foods EXCEPT dill or kosher pickles.

Sweet potatoes.

Candied Yams.

Sweet tea (I only like tea unsweetened, sweet tea makes me want to puke).

I'm so picky about certain things, and things with weird textures or colors.

I think it's easier for me to name the foods I do eat. Pretty much all vegetables (except the ones named above). Beef and chicken, some pork (except the parts named above). Most fish/seafood (cooked).

I don't like a lot of processed fried foods or sweets as a general rule.

Yep, that's about it ;) .

Edited by RhondaW

I've tried a lot of different things, but one thing that I HATE is raw tomatoes. I will eat them in just about any preparation, but not raw!

Also hate octopus. When I was in Japan, I had a horrible pancake with octopus tentacles in it, and it was so awful that I just can't eat octopus again!

Need more iron, so I'm curious to find a good source for liver and some good preparations for it.

I was at a team penning competition one time and one of the calfs died right there in the arena. Well, being that we were on private land in the middle of nowhere, they just pulled out the front loader and dressed it right there on the outside of the arena. :blink:

Several folks were calling dibs on the heart. One of the people calling dibs was a friend, she told me that it was really, really good meat and she wanted it!

See, to me.......there's way too many other things to eat.

• Like 1

Stewed Tomatoes, Collard Greens (but I like Kale) Rice, Yams, Sweet Potatoes, Ketchup, Kiwi, Pickled anything BUT, I like pickles. I'm sure there will be more as soon as they come to me. I am the pickiest eater. I don't eat veggies from a can, and I don't eat boxed foods.

So when I eat out, I'm basically screwed.

This is more like CANT eat....Cottage cheese...It looks like baby spit up and I will literally gag if I try to eat it. Mayo by itself does the same thing to me..I love it on a sandwich or in salads..Just not by itself.

I TOTALLY agree on the raw fish. Nope, nope, nope. Don't even suggest it to me. I'll eat raw veggies and fruits but nothing that was at one time living and breathing (or swimming).

The rest of that stuff I love, especially the pimento cheese. Well, not the snake. But it was OK. Too bony.

Frog~ NO. I often keep and raise frogs as pets and just...no. My husband eats them just to piss me off, and I won't kiss him for the entire day :ninja:.

My list of yucks...

Alligator, lizard or snake~No, just because~gross :o.

Duck, Greasy and nasty, ewwww.

Pigs feet, or skin or ears or any 'odd' part *gag*.

Pickled eggs.

No organ meat (of anything).

Hummus *gag*.

Pimento cheese spread.

Raw fish.

Lobster.

Sardines.

Clam Chowder, I like clams, just not in a soup. It smells gross :p .

Fried Rice, actually most Chinese food...

Most sausage (especially bratwurst).

All pickled foods EXCEPT dill or kosher pickles.

Sweet potatoes.

Candied Yams.

Sweet tea (I only like tea unsweetened, sweet tea makes me want to puke).

I'm so picky about certain things, and things with weird textures or colors.

I think it's easier for me to name the foods I do eat. Pretty much all vegetables (except the ones named above). Beef and chicken, some pork (except the parts named above). Most fish/seafood (cooked).

I don't like a lot of processed fried foods or sweets as a general rule.

Yep, that's about it ;) .

This is more like CANT eat....Cottage cheese...It looks like baby spit up and I will literally gag if I try to eat it. Mayo by itself does the same thing to me..I love it on a sandwich or in salads..Just not by itself.

Oh yeah, I forgot cottage cheese. I CAN eat it in lasagna, I use it instead of ricotta (which creeps me out). It's really good in lasagna, but I cannot even think of eating it cold without gagging a little ;). In a lasagna it's just little cheese balls, it cooks off all of the slimy goop.

I TOTALLY agree on the raw fish. Nope, nope, nope. Don't even suggest it to me. I'll eat raw veggies and fruits but nothing that was at one time living and breathing (or swimming).

The rest of that stuff I love, especially the pimento cheese. Well, not the snake. But it was OK. Too bony.

Are you kidding me, you ate snake?!?!?!?!

lol

I would have to be dying of starvation before I even considered that, fo'realz.

Twice. good.gif

Are you kidding me, you ate snake?!?!?!?!

lol

I would have to be dying of starvation before I even considered that, fo'realz.

For real!! Anyone who doesn't like chocolate is just...... I don't even have words for them. rofl.gif I thought it was one of the four basic food groups.

K, Hun, you are officially a FREAK!

K, Hun, you are officially a FREAK!

You're a freakazoid, chocolate is just nasty. Straight up chocolate, pooie, puke. :bad: