10 replies to this topic

#1 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Slicing up some dried ancho chilis into thin strips to saute' in oil. Take them out and throw in some minced garlic, and chopped onion and bell peppers. Add some cumin, salt and pepper and depending on piquante level desired, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper.

After 10 minutes or so, chopped tomatoes, and a quart or more of stock. Homemade stock works best.

Left over meat, whatever you want. Tonight will be some chopped RARE London Broil, already sliced on the bias, and some picata cubed beef. Flank steak I think.

Add back in the ancho chilis, and bring just to a boil, reduce to simmer for 40-50 minutes.

Since we have plenty, we will throw in some stewed corn, and left over tiny fresh green beans.

This is great for using tomatoes from the garden which are cracked or have a bad spot.

Take 5 or 6 corn tortillas, and using a butcher knife or pizza cutter, slice them into thin strips. Toss them to bake a pile of pasta like consistancy on a small baking sheet and put them in the toaster oven until good a cruncy. Place a reasonable handful on top of the bowl of soup.

We originally got the basic recipe out of Southern living almost 30 years ago. First time we fixed it we had just moved into the house here, and did not have the dining room table in yet, and we ate it at a small table on the front porch. Seems like yesterday!

Avocado, jack or cheddar cheese......Um good.

Bon Apetite' Y'all Posted Image
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#2 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,427 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

sound very interesting!

we are having mexican pizza --- tortillas, taco meat seasoned, cheese, tomatoes(homegrown of course), lettuce, green onions(homegrown of course), jalapenos (homegrown of course), pico de gallo & sour cream .... YUMMY!!
Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#3 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

This soup is my dear wife's favorite meal, and a great way to use up left over meats.

It is NOT overly spicey. I add Valentino's to mine to kick it up a notch. The Anchos and Cumin both have some BANG, but not a make your temples sweat. What I call a back of the mouth heat, instead of lips and toungue.

And it is unique in flavor.Posted Image
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#4 Spunkywman

Spunkywman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

What kind of stock do you use?
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

There are three constants in life... change, choice and principles.
Stephen Covey

#5 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

What kind of stock do you use?

Depends on what meat usually. We make our stocks from celery, onion, carrot, parsley and bones.

We save bones for "Dark Stock' cooked beef, pork, veal and lamb]; White Fowl [raw chicken/turkey]; Brown Fowl [cooked but not smoked chicken or turkey]; and duck/goose. Each has a bag in the freezer, and when its full enough, we make stock.

We also try to get a cooler of red snapper/grouper/amberjack carcasses from PCB or Destin once a year and make Fume', or fish stock. And shrimp/crab shells make a nice stock as well.

At any given time we might have 50-60 quarts of stock between the kitchen and the laundry room pantry.

No fat, no perservatives, no chemicals and no artificial anything. Canned properly it will keep for several years at room temperature in the dark.

#6 Spunkywman

Spunkywman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thank you! Thats sounds wonderful!! I am going to give it a try!
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

There are three constants in life... change, choice and principles.
Stephen Covey

#7 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,379 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

I made Captain D's for dinner. And they forgot to give me my coleslaw. <_<
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#8 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,206 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

I made Captain D's for dinner. And they forgot to give me my coleslaw. <_<

You took a rare day off huh?

Getting the kids, and you, ready for back to school must be busy, busy, busy.
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#9 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,379 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

You took a rare day off huh?

Getting the kids, and you, ready for back to school must be busy, busy, busy.

Yep. I had full intentions of making dinner, I even defrosted some porkchops and brussels sprouts. And then I realized, "ain't nobody got time for that". It's on the menu for tomorrow.

* I'm not sure if defrosted is an actual word. But I used it anyway.
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#10 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,206 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

Yep. I had full intentions of making dinner, I even defrosted some porkchops and brussels sprouts. And then I realized, "ain't nobody got time for that". It's on the menu for tomorrow.

It's OK. I know it as "defrosted" too. :)
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#11 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

Yes it is, .....as printed on the front of your microwave.!!!!

Our soup was wonderful, and the quart of cooked field corn we dumped in made it even better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics