Paulding.com

A. Lafayette Bartlett Statue has a hand!?!

A great travesty has occurred in Dallas recently.

The Bartlett statue at the corner of Main Street and East Memorial Dr, (next to the Dallas Woman's Club, across from the old courthouse) has had a hand attached to it's right arm. Having been born and raised in Paulding County, I have passed by this statue countless times and looked at this once hand-less man and thought about why he didn't have a right hand. I would think "Maybe he didn't have a hand in real life", "Maybe the Woman's Club broke off his 'strong hand' as a sign of defiance against 'the man.'" Whatever the reason, this hand-less statue was a part of my childhood and part of the community. I am calling on everyone to join me in letting the local officials know that we will not stand for this impostor hand being added on to something uniquely Dallas.

I ask you this: Would you make the leaning tower of Pisa stand up straight? Would you put a nose on the Sphinx? Would you have arms attached to the Venus de Milo?

The Bartlett statue is a piece of art that has become a part of what makes Dallas home. The "imperfection" started conversations and sparked imagination. Let's correct this mistake and make a No Hand, Stand!

Here is a link to the petition: No Hand, Stand

• Like 2

I am not TBAR but you know what they say, great minds...

LOL I remember TBAR talking about the statue.

Are you TBAR? :o :ninja: :lol:

Welcome to PCOM.

bth_OneCheswickMcmurphyChief-1.jpg

I heard the Mayor had it in his desk drawer for the last humpteen years.

One story I heard is it had a reputation as attracting rubber balloon type thingies that embarrass the women folk ;)

Don't know if that is true or not.

pubby

My mom said that when she was a teen and everyone cruised around the courthouse square that they would put a roll of toilet paper on his hand. That would have probably been in the mid 60s. I have grown up in Paulding not ever seeing a hand, so yes to me it looks weird with a hand. For some reason I thought the original hand had the fingers curled slightly?

Edited by MsGaStorm