Paulding.com

If they had parachutes how did they all not open?

1100 feet is not as high as you might think, I believe you need to be up a lot higher than that before you jump and then the shute has time to open for you to safely land. Only thing I can "assume" here is that the injuried occurred instead of death due to shute deployment.

How do you "fall out of an airplane"?

Hopefully there will be more info later, the news stations should be on this one.

Whoever said this could be a jumping team might have something there. Or may military jump team? Perhaps they landed in a wooded area blown by the wind?

I actually just got back to the office from cardiac rehab (exercise program) so I'm totally in the dark. (left before the first post.)

Well, get on the phone, what are you waiting for??? :rofl:

Hope you're feeling better :p

Okay.... and you probably won't hear this anywhere else.

There was an approved Army training exercise .... possibly out of Columbus ... at the local airport.

I gather that nine soldiers were taking part and were jumping from the Huey helicopter from low altitude and had to deploy their chutes.

While successful in avoiding serious injury, the Paulding EMA PIO MaryAnn Phipps, reported that one of the soldiers did sustain a non-life threatening injury in the exercise that did force his transport to Kennestone Hospital for treatment. (I'm guessing a broken arm or leg probably).

Anyway, the media from Atlanta called and expressed interest in the event but determined that since the injury involved was relatively minor, the novelty of a soldier falling from a helicopter during a training exercise was not a big enough bit of news to get too excited about.

Ms. Phipps said the exercise at the local airport is now over and they've returned to where ever they were stationed. (I would think they would have come from Columbus although since this was a helicopter operation, I suppose they could have made the trip from as far away as Fort Rucker in LA near Dothan although the original location is pure speculation.)

pubby

Okay.... and you probably won't hear this anywhere else.

There was an approved Army training exercise .... possibly out of Columbus ... at the local airport.

I gather that nine soldiers were taking part and were jumping from the Huey helicopter from low altitude and had to deploy their chutes.

While successful in avoiding serious injury, the Paulding EMA PIO MaryAnn Phipps, reported that one of the soldiers did sustain a non-life threatening injury in the exercise that did force his transport to Kennestone Hospital for treatment. (I'm guessing a broken arm or leg probably).

Anyway, the media from Atlanta called and expressed interest in the event but determined that since the injury involved was relatively minor, the novelty of a soldier falling from a helicopter during a training exercise was not a big enough bit of news to get too excited about.

Ms. Phipps said the exercise at the local airport is now over and they've returned to where ever they were stationed. (I would think they would have come from Columbus although since this was a helicopter operation, I suppose they could have made the trip from as far away as Fort Rucker in LA near Dothan although the original location is pure speculation.)

pubby

You want me to check with my sources down here in Ft Rucker?

You want me to check with my sources down here in Ft Rucker?

Sure, why not.

Ms. Phipps offered to get the info but interest dried up by the big media by the time I called so since I'm the only one reporting it, I'd be nice if the location they were based could be confirmed.

As I think about, Rucker is the regular Army Air Calvary base and this was obviously their type of training. Now if it were foreign nationals being trained on how to throw folks from a helicopter, it would have likely been the School of the America's group down at Benning that was involved :)

pubby

Sure, why not.

Ms. Phipps offered to get the info but interest dried up by the big media by the time I called so since I'm the only one reporting it, I'd be nice if the location they were based could be confirmed.

As I think about, Rucker is the regular Army Air Calvary base and this was obviously their type of training. Now if it were foreign nationals being trained on how to throw folks from a helicopter, it would have likely been the School of the America's group down at Benning that was involved :)

pubby

Wow, is that a reference to Vietnam?

One thing about the armed forces, for many, training is about as dangerous as real missions. :(

No doubt about it. When I was in the military we lost many during training and most of the time never made the paper at all.

Sure, why not.

pubby

I don't actually have any sources, the closest I get is my husband works up the road in Ozark, and at least a few times a week they fly helicopters over our house. The Rangers are based out of Rucker no?

How do you "fall out of an airplane"?

Hopefully there will be more info later, the news stations should be on this one.

That was my question, also. The news stations were probably too busy.