Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
rockysmom

South Beach Diet

Has anyone else tried this diet? I started it on Saturday morning. So far so good. Down a couple of pounds already. The food is good, I just wish it didn't take a good portion of the day getting it ready! LOL. Also, I'm really not used to eating this much food in one day. I also don't like that you cannot have ANY alcohol during the first two weeks.

Has anyone else tried it? Sucessful?

Has anyone else tried this diet? I started it on Saturday morning. So far so good. Down a couple of pounds already. The food is good, I just wish it didn't take a good portion of the day getting it ready! LOL. Also, I'm really not used to eating this much food in one day. I also don't like that you cannot have ANY alcohol during the first two weeks.

It is a modified Atkins, lo carb.

Some of the terminology is different, but basically it is carb counting, water, and exercise.

• Like 1

I'm really pleased with the results so far, which means 2 1/2 days! LOL

So......if you are looking to lose that belly.....you might want to look into this. :D

I'm really pleased with the results so far, which means 2 1/2 days! LOL

So......if you are looking to lose that belly.....you might want to look into this. :D

Its the going on the wagon part that's holding me back right now. And knowing I have to start the walking and cycling again.

The low carb gets going even faster if you can work in some heavy duty cardio exercise for an hour or 2 per day.Your body burns the carbs in your system first.....then goes into ketosis when you start burning the stored fat because there are no carbs.

I was almost down to my premarraige weight when I had a nasty fall on a flight of steps and really screwed up my good hip. Lost the habit of riding the bike and walking, and just have not been able to go back.

When you finish the induction, and want to drink, gin or vodka martinis are the most bang for the buck so to speak in so far as lo carb alcholic beverages.drinks.gif

If you follow it, you will lose weight.

You'll also likely gain it right back.

Don't shoot the messenger, that's what happens to the majority of people who follow the low-carb type diets.

• Like 1

If you follow it, you will lose weight.

You'll also likely gain it right back.

Don't shoot the messenger, that's what happens to the majority of people who follow the low-carb type diets.

I like the weight watchers diet, myself.

I did the online "for men" diet (which is no different that the 'for women' verions) and I dropped 52lbs.

The nice thing about it is that you can eat what you want... and the "points system" helps not only cut

back on how much you eat, but gives you a reference on how much you can splurge.

IF you start out with 50 points and you eat 10 points for lunch, you can have a nice dinner.

After doing this so long, it gets you in to the habit of smaller portions and trying to eat

better to keep your meal points down so that you can splurge on occasion.

You eventually get to where your stomach can't hold as much as it used too and you get full easier.

Edited by Nitro

I like the weight watchers diet, myself.

I did the online "for men" diet (which is no different that the 'for women' verions) and I dropped 52lbs.

The nice thing about it is that you can eat what you want... and the "points system" helps not only cut

back on how much you eat, but gives you a reference on how much you can splurge.

IF you start out with 50 points and you eat 10 points for lunch, you can have a nice dinner.

After doing this so long, it gets you in to the habit of smaller portions and trying to eat

better to keep your meal points down so that you can splurge on occasion.

You eventually get to where your stomach can't hold as much as it used too and you get full easier.

Weight Watchers is a proven system. And it teaches you to change your lifestyle so you can keep it off.

We are going on a trip which involves being in a bathing suit. I WILL NOT, and I mean, WILL NOT look like a slovenly female. So I'm pretty determined. Now, what happens after the trip......there's no telling. I will be at least better educated on the cans and can'ts of dieting. I've never had to diet before :cray: Oh well, that part of life is over.

Surepip, I'm going to the Y three times during the week and looking to work in a Sat or Sun into the routine.

I have to say, between this and not smoking, I feel pretty darn good! :yahoo:

Good luck. I cant do low carb...I guess it has something to do with my blood sugar issues. I get really light-headed. I have to eat carbs with proteins to feel my best. Best diet for me is to not pig out and just exercise everyday....That way I don't think about eating all of the time and be miserable. When I tell myself I am on a diet I all I want to do is eat. Last diet I tried was the one where you only eat 500 cal a day and then eat whatever you want the next day without pigging out. 500 just wasn't cutting it for me.

We are going on a trip which involves being in a bathing suit. I WILL NOT, and I mean, WILL NOT look like a slovenly female. So I'm pretty determined. Now, what happens after the trip......there's no telling. I will be at least better educated on the cans and can'ts of dieting. I've never had to diet before :cray: Oh well, that part of life is over.

Surepip, I'm going to the Y three times during the week and looking to work in a Sat or Sun into the routine.

I have to say, between this and not smoking, I feel pretty darn good! :yahoo:

If you make some permanent dietary changes after you lose the weight you might can keep it off. As Nitro mentioned; it's important to learn to eat differently and more healthy. The reason people on low-card diets gain it back is because they go right back to doing what made them gain the weight to start with. So most of them yo-yo...lose it, gain it, lose it, gain it. And that's not good for you either.

Regardless of what plan you use; cardio exercise and weight training will make you lose even faster.

Good luck.

I think when you go on a strict diet, you lose muscle only to gain back fat.

My MIL yo-yo'ed all her life and ended up just fat with no muscle at all in the end.

Good luck, RM. I'm at a point right now where I just don't care......... :blush:

I keep saying I'm going to get back on my treadmill......

I think when you go on a strict diet, you lose muscle only to gain back fat.

My MIL yo-yo'ed all her life and ended up just fat with no muscle at all in the end.

Good luck, RM. I'm at a point right now where I just don't care......... :blush:

I keep saying I'm going to get back on my treadmill......

That is often what happens. And the low-carb diets are the worst for muscle loss. Losing muscle make it easier to gain weight later on.

To avoid muscle loss, you should keep your daily calorie deficit in the 200-500 range (depending on your size) and ingest around 1 gram of protein per day for each lb of body weight. Even then you might lose some, but this will minimize it.

I've never followed a diet. I've cut back the fat and sugar and walked two miles a day on my treadmill and got to where I wanted to be. It's really not that hard, it's just a mindset. I was actually doing 2 miles in 24 minutes. And then I did about 30 minutes of weights. I was defined and no fat. I could do it again, I only have about 20 pounds I need to shift around...........and the thing about weight training is (for me anyway) the results are immediate. I still have muscle after all these years going through cortizone, etc. and 3 surgeries.

I've had 3 major surgeries in 3 years which is not cool. You're supposed to have 2-3 years between surgeries for your body to recover, but I didn' have a choice. And this last surgery kicked my ass.......I had severe depression for a couple of months, but now I see spring on the way and I'm feeling a lot better. I would go sit on my deck in the cold when the sun was out just to get a good dose of Vitamin D to try to help with the depression.

I think I'm done and good to go now with the plate in my neck and 2 titatium hips :rofl: Now I need to think about walking again.

What my long winded point was........women need to realize that when working with weights muscle weighs more than fat. I never really looked at the numbers on the scale, but more how my clothes fit and how I looked.

• Like 1

Calm down granny - aren't you a tad old for a bikini?

I've never followed a diet. I've cut back the fat and sugar and walked two miles a day on my treadmill and got to where I wanted to be. It's really not that hard, it's just a mindset. I was actually doing 2 miles in 24 minutes. And then I did about 30 minutes of weights. I was defined and no fat. I could do it again, I only have about 20 pounds I need to shift around...........and the thing about weight training is (for me anyway) the results are immediate. I still have muscle after all these years going through cortizone, etc. and 3 surgeries.

I've had 3 major surgeries in 3 years which is not cool. You're supposed to have 2-3 years between surgeries for your body to recover, but I didn' have a choice. And this last surgery kicked my ass.......I had severe depression for a couple of months, but now I see spring on the way and I'm feeling a lot better. I would go sit on my deck in the cold when the sun was out just to get a good dose of Vitamin D to try to help with the depression.

I think I'm done and good to go now with the plate in my neck and 2 titatium hips :rofl: Now I need to think about walking again.

What my long winded point was........women need to realize that when working with weights muscle weighs more than fat. I never really looked at the numbers on the scale, but more how my clothes fit and how I looked.

I don't follow a structured diet either. I just eat smaller portions and healthier stuff, and I eat more often...5 or so times a day. That way I don't get so ravenous hungry and stuff myself when I do eat. And I workout like a madman...usually 5 days a week. I lift weights 3 or 4 times a week and walk 3-5 miles each night.

Calm down granny - aren't you a tad old for a bikini?

in the words of George Jones, My bodies old but it ain't impaired :D

Besides who said anything about a bikini? Sports Illustrated, I'm not. Those are the only people who should wear them.

• Like 1

I don't follow a structured diet either. I just eat smaller portions and healthier stuff, and I eat more often...5 or so times a day. That way I don't get so ravenous hungry and stuff myself when I do eat. And I workout like a madman...usually 5 days a week. I lift weights 3 or 4 times a week and walk 3-5 miles each night.

Dang! You go boy!

in the words of George Jones, My bodies old but it ain't impaired :D

Besides who said anything about a bikini? Sports Illustrated, I'm not. Those are the only people who should wear them.

Girl, I wear a 2 piece when I go to the beach. Who the hell cares on the beach?

Only thing I've noticed over the years, the swimsuits cost a fortune now to shift my body parts into place :rofl:

Weight Watchers is a proven system. And it teaches you to change your lifestyle so you can keep it off.

That is the key right there. Like you said previously people end up gaining the weight back when they stop a diet like the South Beach because they really did not change their eating lifestyle. You have to change the way you see food and not just follow a menu because it says so.

My biggest issue is carbs. I have an Asian wife so most food has rice with it. It is hard to teach her that I do not want rice with every meal. :pardon:

• Like 1

Good for you, made me want to get back in the gym and work out and walk. Thanks for the inspiration! drinks.gif

I'm also going to go back to four or five small, healthy meals a day. I've always heard that's the best way to do it.

I'm 5'2 and need to lose 20-25 lbs. On a 5'2 woman, that extra 20-25 lbs looks more like 30-35. I hate being short!

Good for you, made me want to get back in the gym and work out and walk. Thanks for the inspiration! drinks.gif

I'm also going to go back to four or five small, healthy meals a day. I've always heard that's the best way to do it.

I'm 5'2 and need to lose 20-25 lbs. On a 5'2 woman, that extra 20-25 lbs looks more like 30-35. I hate being short!

I'm 5'1 and I am not short. I am either petite or vertically challenged. It's that way cause I said so. ^_^

I'm 5'1 and I am not short. I am either petite or vertically challenged. It's that way cause I said so. ^_^

I love that! I have always hated being called short. From this day forward, I shall be petite! Thanks RM biggrin.gif

Just for the record, I don't wear a bikini.

Sure about that? tongue.gif

Not in public, anyway.

Same thing I told hubby, if you have to wear them, please wear them in the privacy of our bedroom! acute.gif

Copycat

I thought of it before you. So, that makes you the copycat. You are also the copycat cause I said so, so there.

That is the key right there. Like you said previously people end up gaining the weight back when they stop a diet like the South Beach because they really did not change their eating lifestyle. You have to change the way you see food and not just follow a menu because it says so.

My biggest issue is carbs. I have an Asian wife so most food has rice with it. It is hard to teach her that I do not want rice with every meal. :pardon:

Maybe she can start cooking brown rice.