Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
RhondaW

Rheumatologist Recommendations?

I just got my lab results back today and I do (as I suspected) have gout. My right ankle.

My visit to the dr. to request the test was precipitated by a 5 month 'flare up' :( .

At least now, I know what the problem is and can deal with it.

I've been prescribed Allopurinol, but i would really like to find a good Rheumatologist to educate me on the management of this.

Any suggestions, and thanks in advance!

Rhonda, I use Dr. Kelly Weselman she is with Wellstar and located on the East West connector at Cooperlake road. She is real good. I'm sorry for your illness. I have RA and have had for about 20 years.

• Like 2

Rhonda, I use Dr. Kelly Weselman she is with Wellstar and located on the East West connector at Cooperlake road. She is real good. I'm sorry for your illness. I have RA and have had for about 20 years.

Thank you so much! That's the area I wanted to be in :) .

I will check her out.

I'm sorry for yours as well...I did test negative for RA.

Arthritis is the suck.

I second that ! My daughter has lupus and that's who she see's really nice and good doctor.

I just looked her up and have her number. I'm going to call her now :) .

Thanks Guys!!!

That's where my mom goes. There was another one closer at E/W connector @ Cobb General who shut down.

Hope you can get in to see one soon. It took me quite awhile to find one that took my insurance who wasn't booked for the next two months. I finally found a new doctor at Wellstar Rheumatology, Dr. Siddhanthi. I've only seen her once so far but I liked her.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!

I called Dr. Weselman, and I had my dr. fax over my labs and a referral.

The receptionist told me they will call Monday and schedule an appt so hopefully the wait won't be too super long.

I just gave in and ordered a cane, btw. It will help with the flare-up and my zombie shuffle :p.

I told my husband he had better be watching his mouth now, or I may be smacking him with it, lol.

My mom is dealing with this and her PCP handles it - she has some medicine to take for the flareups - knocks them right down. If you'd like, I'll find out what it is.

She can't take the allapurinol. But, she does watch high acid foods - red wine and shrimp being the hardest for her to remove from her diet.

I know it's going to kill me to eradicate red wine. I'm a die hard Merlot lover. I have to do it though, too much pain.

I took my first dose of the prescription today so I will see how well I can tolerate it.

I'll take any suggestions you have though, and I appreciate it very much :).

I just gave in and ordered a cane, btw. It will help with the flare-up and my zombie shuffle :p.

I told my husband he had better be watching his mouth now, or I may be smacking him with it, lol.

As we get older we need something to grasp and shake at those damn kids on our lawns.

As we get older we need something to grasp and shake at those damn kids on our lawns.

;)

I know it's going to kill me to eradicate red wine. I'm a die hard Merlot lover. I have to do it though, too much pain.

I took my first dose of the prescription today so I will see how well I can tolerate it.

I'll take any suggestions you have though, and I appreciate it very much :).

Some people say tart cherries help:

.... Two fantastic ways to counteract and prevent gout is to consume Persian cherry juice, “tart cherries”, and celery seed. Persian cherry juice is very pure, low in sugar, and contains up to 50-60 cherries per ounce. “Tart cherries” contain powerful phytochemicals called anthocyanins and bioflavanoids which help prevent arthritis and gout and can be found in most whole food stores. Celery seed helps clear toxins and uric acid crystals from the body, and is an exceptional anti-inflammatory. Celery seed also helps to lower cholesterol and blood pressure. Both can be found in your local organic food store. Strawberries and nutmeg have also been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties useful for preventing gout.

In Summary

Gout can be a painful and debilitating condition, but there are simple, healthy ways to prevent and relieve these symptoms.

Be sure to:

Increase

• Exercise

• Intake of Persian cherry juice, tart cherries, celery seed, strawberries

• Water consumption (10-12 glasses per day)

Decrease

• High fructose corn syrup, fructose

• Sodas, sugary drinks, desserts, breads, other sugary foods

• Consumption of beer, red wine, other alcoholic beverages

• Foods rich in purine content (red meats, sardines, anchovies, yeast

http://drchad1.blogspot.com/2011/08/get-rid-of-gout-for-good.html

Thanks Guys!

I know there are dietary things I can do to (possibly) help avoid flare-ups.

I've heard about the cherry juice, but I am going to research that one more. I hate cherries, so that's not going to be easy :p .

I do not consume any drink with sugar, corn syrup or anything else. I haven't had a soda (diet or otherwise) since last year. I drink approximately 100 ounces of water every day, and aside from water I only drink tea, completely unsweetened~not even artificially.

I do drink red wine, it has always helped me with my digestion (another issue) and I generally drink a glass every day.

When I began to suspect this was gout, I slacked off...in the last two weeks I think I may have had 2 glasses, and I had begun to notice a decrease in the pain and swelling.

I discovered that some of my favorite vegetables (and I LOVE vegetables) are on the no-no list, and that makes me sad.

I generally do not eat seafood (maybe twice a year) and the same for red meat, even though I love both so no problem there.

I do not eat sugary foods or snacks.

Overall, aside from the wine and a couple of the veggies there is not a whole lot I can change. That being said, I have noticed a significant difference having fairly stopped the daily red wine consumption, so maybe that is the culprit for me right there.

After I visit the rheumatologist next week, I'll have more information so I can formulate a plan to try to get back to more normal mobility.

This has seriously hindered me for the last 5 months because I pretty much thought it was everything other than what it is.

This is the same leg that the vein clinic messed with, resulting in a bout of phlebitis. Phlebitis is similar in the sense that there is extreme swelling and pain, so I kind of thought it was related to that. Otherwise I would have insisted on being tested earlier.

All in all I'm just relieved to have a proper diagnosis instead of diagnosing myself and continuing to limp around in constant pain.

Thanks again everyone...I'll let y'all know how it goes!!

:)