Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Mama Carol

It took THREE years but we did it!

Well, it took three years, seven houses, two agents, countless sleepless nights and a river of tears but we FINALLY did it! We got a house in Florida!!!!

We closed on this afternoon. We're beat, we're excited and even though we still have to move, we feel like the worst part is over. This is a day we were beginning to think we would never, ever see. In fact, at the closing we weren't sure it was going to happen even!

We changed agents back in June. We made an offer on one house in January which was "declined" and then the offer on this house on February 9. It was a little bit of an unusual situation in that the owner's guardian was the person "selling" the house and the sale had to be approved by a judge. We were told after the inspection was done and we approved it, that it could take the judge anything from 14 to 45 days to make a decision and that we HAD to close within 14 days of the judge's approval. The judge took about 10 days and we closed in 3. We got approval this past Monday! Closed today! Doesn't give one a lot of time.

• Like 5

How exciting! I'm so happy you've finally got your home in Florida. I remember the frustrating posts about trying to get one and all the obstacles you have faced. I hope to be a Florida resident myself one day.

The obstacles have been beyond frustrating.

We were driving back from the closing and we both said we were actually glad it took this long. We know the town VERY well now, something we didn't know three years ago. We aren't glad about all the frustration, but we are glad we have learned our way around down here. Knowing our way around the town makes us more confident in the area we are in. We had learned the areas to avoid.

EVERYWHERE we go people are friendly and happy to talk to you. They'll just open up and tell you their life story if you're not careful. rolleyes.gif

How exciting! I'm so happy you've finally got your home in Florida. I remember the frustrating posts about trying to get one and all the obstacles you have faced. I hope to be a Florida resident myself one day.

I hope you like a firm mattress because that's what the guest room is going to have in it. wink.gif

:wub:

I hope you like a firm mattress because that's what the guest room is going to have in it.

even if it meant sleepng on the floor......can't get rid of me that easy!!!!

We're getting a queen, firm Serta mattress and foundation tomorrow. Too darn tired to do it after closing today. That will be in the guest bedroom once we get our furniture down.

Don't want to get rid of you!! Just be warned if you and our former boss showed up at the same time, you'd be sleeping on the floor. rofl.gif

I hope you like a firm mattress because that's what the guest room is going to have in it.

even if it meant sleepng on the floor......can't get rid of me that easy!!!!

I'm happy for you and sad all at the same time.

I never got to see my rubber chicken :p.

Well, it took three years, seven houses, two agents, countless sleepless nights and a river of tears but we FINALLY did it! We got a house in Florida!!!!

We closed on this afternoon. We're beat, we're excited and even though we still have to move, we feel like the worst part is over. This is a day we were beginning to think we would never, ever see. In fact, at the closing we weren't sure it was going to happen even!

We changed agents back in June. We made an offer on one house in January which was "declined" and then the offer on this house on February 9. It was a little bit of an unusual situation in that the owner's guardian was the person "selling" the house and the sale had to be approved by a judge. We were told after the inspection was done and we approved it, that it could take the judge anything from 14 to 45 days to make a decision and that we HAD to close within 14 days of the judge's approval. The judge took about 10 days and we closed in 3. We got approval this past Monday! Closed today! Doesn't give one a lot of time.

Congrats, Carol. I'm on my way to Tampa in two weeks to begin our house hunt.

This is such great news! I know it has been a nightmare for you guys. You still have to come to Paulding.com and visit us. I wish you both much future happiness. :)

Your sale terms are actually not that unusual. My parents bought their property here and it was tied up in probate court. The daughter and son had been fighting over whether or not to sell it. Unbeknownst to us - the judge had ordered it sold to the next bidder. My parents went in with a low bid to have room to negogiate and got their property for a song. :)! The judge ordered it sold and they had to close in 15 or 20 business days (don't remember which). We just felt bad for the family because by the time they paid closing fees, attorneys fees, court fees, etc., they had very, very little money left.

Congratulations - I am so happy for you and wish you many years of happiness in your new home!

We'll have to make plans to go shopping at Silver Sands one day when we are down at our house. This is about halfway between Pensacola and Mexico Beach and will be a good meeting point and GREAT shopping.

That's wonderful news!! I know you thought it would never happen. That must be a huge relief for you.

Where are you moving, what town? How far from the beach?,

I can't wait until my husband finally retires, I want to rent in Florida in January and February. Not sure where just yet. I told him the day after Christmas, we're gooooone!

We're in Milton, which is about 20 miles east of Pensacola. It's a good hard half hour ride to our favorite beach, Navarre Beach, but we don't mind the ride.

The house is really coming along. We've been cleaning since Friday morning. Of course, 9 p.m. comes and we're exhausted and ready for bed!

So far we (or my husband) has fixed the kitchen faucet (it leaked like Old Faithful), the kitchen sprayer, the stove, two toilets, two bathroom sinks, hauled out a room full of carpet, scrubbed the kitchen floor and the laundry/utility room floor, cleaned two bathrooms, vacuumed the house within an inch of it's life, cleaned out more cabinets than I can count, bought a washer, dryer, fridge and bed.

Heading back up there to put our house on the market and to pack for another load down here (I'm in Milton at a place with free wi-fi right now since we are without Internet for the time being).

Milton is wonderful!!!!!!!!! The people are super, super nice and friendly. The town is easy to get around, as long as you know highway 87, highway 89 and highway 90.

Navarre Beach is probably the most beautiful beach in the US (at least IMO). We have a number of friends down there now, from the 20+ years of going and especially from the past 3 years staying there while we look for a house in Milton.

I told my husband, I wanted to name this house Seventh Heaven. It's the seventh house we had made an offer on.

• Like 1

Anywhere in the panhandle is nice, but from Destin over to Pensacola is gorgeous.

The sand is super, super white and the water is such a beautiful emerald green/blue.

Lawd, I'm trying to plan a trip to the beach now for spring break for my grandkids.

I'm excited for you, I couldn't imagine moving to the beach (almost).

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you. My sister and her husband are driving down from Indiana to Pensacola next month to look at houses. She is finally fed up with Indiana winters and he's retiring from being a prison guard at a Federal Penitentiary in January 2014.

We've been here five days and it's still wonderful. yahoo.gif

Really hate to have to get in the car and go back up there to pack. If we had the money to buy all new, I'd say to heck with it and get all new stuff. Unfortunately, we're so broke now we can't afford to pay attention. rofl.gif

We've been here five days and it's still wonderful. yahoo.gif

Really hate to have to get in the car and go back up there to pack. If we had the money to buy all new, I'd say to heck with it and get all new stuff. Unfortunately, we're so broke now we can't afford to pay attention. rofl.gif

I'm working on the "broke" part. I am pricing out bathroom and kitchen upgrades. Ouch! But, we do want to move to Tampa so it's got to be done. At least I can do a lot of the installation myself.

Edited by PowderSpringsDad