19 replies to this topic

#1 blondchevygrl

blondchevygrl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

My son is 13. He was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was 5. Last year we started noticing he was having problems concentrating, he became easily distracted (his teachers told me it could be something as simple as another student dropping a pencil on the floor and my son was be done) he also became somewhat aggressive. About a month ago I took him to a child psy to be tested for any possibility that could be causing all of these symptoms. She said he has ADD (not ADHD, he is FAR from hyper). She gave him Concerta, we tried it for a week and his teachers started emailing me, his behavior was worse. Yesterday, I took him back to the child psy and she changed his meds to Adderall. I gave him one to see how he was going to react while I could keep an eye on him. BAD, BAD idea. He was extremely hyper. He was talking constantly, he thought everything was funny, he could not sit still. He was literally walking in circles between the living room, dining room and kitchen just back and forth. It became so bad, I was begging him to go play his video game. He would NOT play the game. He said he didn't feel like it. That in and of itself was a big red flag.(He's 13 and what 13 year old doesn't "feel like" playing a video game?) This lasted until the meds wore off. Once the meds wore off, he crashed. He was out for the night. The Concerta was not quite as bad and the Adderall, but he was more active and talkative than normal with the Concerta. His teachers also said they were having a hard time getting him to do his work with the COncerta.

OK, I am thinking a miss diagnosis with the ADD. But, I do not know what else could cause his symptoms. I have a call into the child psy office. They said "More the likely the doc will call me back."

Any ideas??

#2 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

My son is 13. He was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was 5. Last year we started noticing he was having problems concentrating, he became easily distracted (his teachers told me it could be something as simple as another student dropping a pencil on the floor and my son was be done) he also became somewhat aggressive. About a month ago I took him to a child psy to be tested for any possibility that could be causing all of these symptoms. She said he has ADD (not ADHD, he is FAR from hyper). She gave him Concerta, we tried it for a week and his teachers started emailing me, his behavior was worse. Yesterday, I took him back to the child psy and she changed his meds to Adderall. I gave him one to see how he was going to react while I could keep an eye on him. BAD, BAD idea. He was extremely hyper. He was talking constantly, he thought everything was funny, he could not sit still. He was literally walking in circles between the living room, dining room and kitchen just back and forth. It became so bad, I was begging him to go play his video game. He would NOT play the game. He said he didn't feel like it. That in and of itself was a big red flag.(He's 13 and what 13 year old doesn't "feel like" playing a video game?) This lasted until the meds wore off. Once the meds wore off, he crashed. He was out for the night. The Concerta was not quite as bad and the Adderall, but he was more active and talkative than normal with the Concerta. His teachers also said they were having a hard time getting him to do his work with the COncerta.

OK, I am thinking a miss diagnosis with the ADD. But, I do not know what else could cause his symptoms. I have a call into the child psy office. They said "More the likely the doc will call me back."

Any ideas??

Yep - stop ALL medication and try some behavioral modifications.

Does he need a smaller class environment?
Does he need to do some on-line learning instead of a traditional classroom environment?

Drugs are bad - putting a child on a legal form of cocaine because he's distracted by a pencil dropping, to me, seems like a bad idea.

I understand that there is a lot of history that I don't know, but I tend to want to EXHAUST behavioral and environmental changes before turning to pharmaceuticals. "Switching" him on and off of various meds can really affect his brain chemistry.

Edited by dumbestgirlintheworld, 05 March 2013 - 09:55 AM.

• NinaBritt likes this

#3 blondchevygrl

blondchevygrl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

He is main streamed and goes to small group classes for major subjects (reading, math and LA). We tried the internet learning early on last year and it did not work out too well. We have tried many things to try to stop the aggression, however with the Asperger's it is very difficult for him to connect why he has a consequence for the action. We explain to him why he has the consequence and ask him questions to make sure he understands, but he does connect the two. If I tell him, "No video game today because you didn't do you were talking in class today instead of doing your work." Then I ask, can you play your game? He will say no. When I ask why not, he says," You said I can't." I will ask why I said he couldn't and he will say something like," Because you said I can't." I will explain to him again it is because he was talking in class. He will go into a long drug out story tell me his teacher is lying and it was somebody else and she blamed him. (You get the idea.) But he never connects the consequence with the action.

Even if he does something at home and is caught red handed, he still doesn't connect.

ETA: I do not like the idea of medication, but his grades are suffering badly. From what I understand, his teacher are spending more time trying to keep him on task then they are teaching him.

Edited by blondchevygrl, 05 March 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#4 SushiBoofay

SushiBoofay

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

It looks like there are a few Meetup groups for Aspergers. I also found this:

http://www.parenting.../public/492.cfm
A stout-hearted mouse can lift an elephant

#5 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

He is main streamed and goes to small group classes for major subjects (reading, math and LA). We tried the internet learning early on last year and it did not work out too well. We have tried many things to try to stop the aggression, however with the Asperger's it is very difficult for him to connect why he has a consequence for the action. We explain to him why he has the consequence and ask him questions to make sure he understands, but he does connect the two. If I tell him, "No video game today because you didn't do you were talking in class today instead of doing your work." Then I ask, can you play your game? He will say no. When I ask why not, he says," You said I can't." I will ask why I said he couldn't and he will say something like," Because you said I can't." I will explain to him again it is because he was talking in class. He will go into a long drug out story tell me his teacher is lying and it was somebody else and she blamed him. (You get the idea.) But he never connects the consequence with the action.

Even if he does something at home and is caught red handed, he still doesn't connect.

ETA: I do not like the idea of medication, but his grades are suffering badly. From what I understand, his teacher are spending more time trying to keep him on task then they are teaching him.

I can't say that I understand, but I do wish you lots of luck.

I do hope that you will find a supportive environment that has some answers. I'm very much against medicating children - aspergergers, autism, etc. has existed a lot longer than the medications used to "treat" them. What did we do before the drugs?
  • NinaBritt likes this

#6 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,151 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

i have always thought that one of the key indicators of ADD was an opposite reaction to drugs that are commonly known 'stimulants' for most people.

ritalin and caffiene are supposed to act as sedatives to a child with ADD, no?

Edited by NC-17, 05 March 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#7 blondchevygrl

blondchevygrl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

i have always thought that one of the key indicators of ADD was an opposite reaction to drugs that are commonly known 'stimulants' for most people.

ritalin and caffiene are supposed to act as sedatives to a child with ADD, no?

Yes, you are correct. Hence why I think miss diagnosis. WAY off diagnosis. I just do not know what else it could be. Although, I do know at this point it is not ADD.

#8 Magic Mommy

Magic Mommy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

I put my oldest (10) in behavioral therapy when he was diagnosed in October with ADHD, ODD (occupational defiance disorder), and depression. He is autisitc, but lower functioning. The doctor and therapist wanted me to put him on drugs. They gave me a two-page list with names, what they treat, and side affects. I googled these drugs, every single one of them, and every one of them had HIGH RISKS of causing addictions, especially in teenagers and young adults. My first thought was "gateway drug". My second was the history of addiction in my family.

Then I googled homeopathic methods and learned all about OMEGA 3 DHA Fish Oil in high doses and the HEALING effects on the brain. I started with Kidsmart brand ($10 for 30 pills at Walgreens). At first, he was on 500mg a day (one gelcap) and after a week, I had good reports from school, but little change at home. I upped it to 1,000mg a day. He started the therapist in October, I started the Omega 3 within a week. He was released from the practice at the end of January and I've had nothing but excellent reports from school---to the point where he is now writing stories and illistrating them (in several page "books") as well as acing tests and quizzes. Heck, before, we were lucky if he'd acknowledge the piece of paper in front of him, much less complete a test without being guided through it. His focus has improved, his behavior is unbelievably good, and his grades went up. Everyone has asked me what meds he's on. Fish Oil. For real.

I've told so many mothers with autistic children that I can no longer buy it at the Walgreens in Dallas. Either the name brand or their house brand. I have to get it in Marietta because it's flying off the shelf!! It works. And no, it doesn't have a fishy taste. It tastes like berries, or like a fruit snack thingy. You want the one made for kids. 500 mgs each. I give mine 1,000mg a day.

Hang in there, Mom! Keep trying everything and then some. You know your baby best, you will find an answer, just don't give up fighting for him. I'll keep you in my prayers!
  • jenilyn likes this

#9 blondchevygrl

blondchevygrl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

We have 1,000 mg fish oil here. Maybe I should try him with the fish oil. Heck, its natural and sure won't hurt him! Thank you for the advice!

One thing that is funny is, when he went for the "TOVA" test they use for ADD/ADHD he keep telling me," I do not have add." Even after the doc said he tested "abnormal" he still insisted he does not have ADD. I can't help but to think he is right at this point.
  • Magic Mommy likes this

#10 Magic Mommy

Magic Mommy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

We have 1,000 mg fish oil here. Maybe I should try him with the fish oil. Heck, its natural and sure won't hurt him! Thank you for the advice!

One thing that is funny is, when he went for the "TOVA" test they use for ADD/ADHD he keep telling me," I do not have add." Even after the doc said he tested "abnormal" he still insisted he does not have ADD. I can't help but to think he is right at this point.

I would try it before filling the prescription. Give it a good week-ten days and let us know if you notice any changes.
Good luck to you!

#11 blondchevygrl

blondchevygrl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

I just happened to think, he's allergic to shellfish. He can eat any kind of fish, except shellfish.

#12 Magic Mommy

Magic Mommy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

I just happened to think, he's allergic to shellfish. He can eat any kind of fish, except shellfish.

Then forget everything I said! Except the part about researching your options. Maybe there is something else that has the same potential but is safe for your child to ingest?

#13 Beau Weneroux

Beau Weneroux

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Off Topic but related

We took our child home and loved her with everything that we have. 18 years ago)
That has been the best medicine that we ever could have used. She is severely autistic and non verbal, and will always need someone to watch out for her. We can only plan for the future and hope that someone else will come along and love her as much as we do when we are no longer around.

• Magic Mommy likes this

#14 blondchevygrl

blondchevygrl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Then forget everything I said! Except the part about researching your options. Maybe there is something else that has the same potential but is safe for your child to ingest?

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I found vitamin B-6 is very helpful. I had forgot about this. The developmental pedi who diagnosed the Asperger's had discussed using Vit B-6, but the treatment was never started. At that time we decided it was not needed. I'm going to research some more to make sure this will help!

Thank you again!

#15 buttercup

buttercup

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Any ideas??

Edited by buttercup, 06 March 2013 - 06:13 AM.

Don't worry about tomm, today has it's own set of problems.

#16 Barbed wire

Barbed wire

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

But.....isn't shellfish things like shrimp & lobster? Is he allergic to salmon and regular fish? If not, I would think fish oil would be fine for him.
Love never ends; it just changes shape.

#17 blondchevygrl

blondchevygrl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yes, and when I looked it up and what I found said to avoid fish oil if you're allergic to shell fish. I guess the fish oil may contain some shell fish oils also.

#18 blondchevygrl

blondchevygrl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

OK, what do you make of this? I know what I think, but would like others opinions.

The child psy office called me back. I explained what the meds did to my son. She asked if he took them this morning, I said no. I asked if she thought the ADD could be a miss diagnosis. She said she did not know and could not answer that question. She said she would talk to some one else and call me back. That was the end of the conversation.

I will wait to I see other opinions before I say what I think.

#19 Magic Mommy

Magic Mommy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

OK, what do you make of this? I know what I think, but would like others opinions.

The child psy office called me back. I explained what the meds did to my son. She asked if he took them this morning, I said no. I asked if she thought the ADD could be a miss diagnosis. She said she did not know and could not answer that question. She said she would talk to some one else and call me back. That was the end of the conversation.

I will wait to I see other opinions before I say what I think.

ADD & ADHD is over diagnosed.

My husband and I noticed something in our household. For YEARS, we didn't have cable. We had netflix and DVD's. We got cable in the past year and one of the first things we noticed is that as soon as a kid's show goes to commercial, my kids go wild. They're suddenly hungry, suddenly bored, suddenly fussing at each other or finding something to get into. One of the first things they ask when looking at ADD/HD is does the child (or adult) sit still for TV shows, video games, to watch a movie. My answer was "yes, until the commercial" she replied "that's every kid" and I said "it that why everyone has ADD?". Hmm.

I wouldn't be upset with the nurse for not getting an answer in one phone call. Give her time to research your file and a chance to look up more viable options.
I hadn't heard that about B-6 yet, but will look into it!

#20 blondchevygrl

blondchevygrl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Heck, during commercials I get up and do some house work...LOL

I knew my son did not have ADHD because he has always been more on the lazy side. Even when he was younger he'd rather watch tv than go outside. We make him go out to play and get exercise, we do not let him just sit around and do nothing.

The child psy gave him the TOVA test. I was not asked many questions at all. I looked up the TOVA and read in numerous places it is very unreliable. It gives a lot of false positives.

I don't know, but I am thinking it may be the autism along with hormones causing the issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics