Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
CitizenCain

What's your favorite Android app

I finally broke down and bought my first smart phone. I took a quick look at Google's appt store and the list is endless. Navigation apps, games, anti virus apps, browsers ect ect ect.

Any suggestions ? What's your favorite, most useful app ?

Here's my favorite so far, it's the iPee appt ....

The iPhone app for when you take a call... of nature: Get an instant health check by taking a photograph of your urine

• Users urinate onto a specially developed test strip
  • Strip is photographed, and the iPhone app analyses the colour changes to spot potential problems such as kidney and liver issues, and diabetes

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2MC6PzRyd

Edited by CitizenCain

Browser= opra mobile

Password app = a wallet

Hot spot = Portable WiFi hotspot

Baecode Scanner , by ZXing project

Weather = Raindar

Alarm clock Xtreme Free

Google Maps

S Memo

Gas buddy

• Like 2

Song identifier - Shazam

A Multitude of Radio Stations - TuneIn Radio

Flashlight - Flashlight

Tape recorder - Tape-a-Talk

Calendar - Google calendar

GPS - Google Maps

Get apps - BAM

edited to add:

Orientation for smartphone; saves battery - Screebl

Task killer; saves battery - Open Advanced Task

Mobile Security - avast!

Edited by Jane Doe
  • Like 1

Looking over some of the apps on Google has me a bit paranoid. Have you ever noticed what you are giving them permission to do ?

Here is an example, "Brightest Flashlight" app:

THIS APPLICATION HAS ACCESS TO THE FOLLOWING:

• HARDWARE CONTROLSTAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOSAllows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation

"Google Maps"app

YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATIONREAD YOUR CONTACTSAllows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge. Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge.

Edited by CitizenCain

First of all, download the Amazon App Store for Android. They give away a Paid App everyday, 100% free. Sometimes its a lame one, sometimes its a good one (I got the paid version of angry birds and soundhound this way ;)

That aside, my favorite Apps

(an * will indicate it as a paid app and not free)

Aldiko ebook reader

App Cache Cleaner

mVideoplayer

Jamendo

Fast For Facebook (I ended up getting the paid version which I like even better)

Edge* (fun addictive game)

Nethack

Robodefense*

Robot Unicorn Attack*

MDScan* (VERY useful scanner app if you ever need to get pdf's ont he go)

Teamviewer (Remotel;y access your home PC from your PHONE!!!!)

Watchdog (app monitor/app killer)

Scanner Radio (An actual emergency/police/ambul;ance scanner that allows you to listen to ANY area int he country, including paulding county!)

Andie Graph (A TI-83+ emulator)

Around Me

Gas Buddy

Bar Code Scanner

Shazam

4 Pics 1 Word

Match 3 Games

Doodle Bowl

Scrambled Net

Just to name a few :rofl:

Somebody please tell me how the QR Barcode scanner works.

I have installed the app but when I point it at the Barcode it does nothing and I have no options to do anything.

TIA

Amazon - Prime membership is well worth it

Bedside - an full screen clock/alarm clock with lots of options

BofA

CamSanner - Use your phone as a scanner, creates pdf's also

Chrome

CloudPrint - allows you to print from your phone to your home printer

Craigslist

DirecTV

Directv Remote

Dolphin Browser - I keep that one set up for full web site viewing

Google Drive

Ebay

Handcent SMS - for texting instead of the factory program

K9 Mail - Works with cloudprint to print emails

Marine Navigator - turns phone in to a chartplotter, allows use of free NOAA Raster charts

NOAA Smart Buoys - Buoy data for the Chesapeake Bay

Paypal

MX Player - plays all sorts of media files, DIVX, etc.

pandora

oovoo

priceline

RadarNow

Quickoffice

Rhapsody

RingoLite

SpeedTest

Torque - with a $10 bluetooth ODBII connector, this will allow you to read codes (and reset) on your car

TuneIn Radio

theChive

Translate

Zillow

I have installed the app but when I point it at the Barcode it does nothing and I have no options to do anything.

TIA

You get the QR Code (square) in the box on the screen, hold it very STILL, green dots will go from corner to corner, as it is readig the code and a link should pop up to the item that you are wanting to get info on. Maybe try a different QR app, if that doesn't work.

You get the QR Code (square) in the box on the screen, hold it very STILL, green dots will go from corner to corner, as it is readig the code and a link should pop up to the item that you are wanting to get info on. Maybe try a different QR app, if that doesn't work.

Thank you.

Not an app but "android" feature, go to call log, hold down finger on annoying telemarketer call number, and "ADD to reject list".

But for apps:

App Installer (for installing 5th party apps)

Barcode Scanner (for bar and QR codes)

BofA (banking)

Chrome (browser)

Cool Tool (for geekiness)

FBReader (for ebooks)

Gasbuddy (obvious)

Google Sky Map (cool as Truck)

GPS Test (geek cred)

Speed Test (epeen)

Google Translate (what's that say?)

Wi-Fi Analyzer (geeking)

Z-Device Test (for geekiness)

Zillow (cos I'm nosy)

Marine Navigator - turns phone in to a chartplotter, allows use of free NOAA Raster charts

NOAA Smart Buoys - Buoy data for the Chesapeake Bay

I plan to kayak the Indian River between Canaveral and New Smyrna next month. When I download the NOAA charts for FL there is over 1100 charts. How do you know which one to d/l and open so you only use the one you need? Is there a place to look on the NOAA site that shows a better view of what the individual charts cover and their number? A quick lesson on Marine Navigator would be great! Thanks

Edited by hitch

TIA

Did you ever get it to work right???? just curious......

Did you ever get it to work right???? just curious......

Sadly I did not. :(

I will have to let my kid show me how to work it tomorrow.

I plan to kayak the Indian River between Canaveral and New Smyrna next month. When I download the NOAA charts for FL there is over 1100 charts. How do you know which one to d/l and open so you only use the one you need? Is there a place to look on the NOAA site that shows a better view of what the individual charts cover and their number? A quick lesson on Marine Navigator would be great! Thanks

That should be a fun trip.

You might try NutiCharts Lite. It is free and comes with ActiveCaptain. ActiveCaptain is user data added to charts. Provides great info for marinas, tides, etc. You can download the Florida charts right from the app (about 350mb). If you don't buy/download the charts it uses your data connection to load the charts I believe.

You have to sign up at ActiveCaptain.com for a login, but it is free and worth it. NutiCharts is the only Android marine navigation app with ActiveCaptain. Also, I don't think NutiCharts has a chartplotting feature, so you might end up using multiple apps. That's what I ended up doing, because I like certain features in each app.

For the other app, seems like when I loaded the Chesapeake Bay it was a large zip file that I had to then load in to the app.

My link

Found a great new app called "Bump" lets you share pictures, apps and files by just just touching your phone to someone else's phone, or share pictures and files to your home computer by just touching your phone to your lap top !

It's free on google play. No advertising so I puzzled how they make money. yahoo.gif