Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
DiehardKy

Do you think you will retire?

I was just wondering what your plans are for healthcare/medical type expenses? Will you have insurance after your husband retires at age 55?

yes we will have insurance... he has the option to keep his medical/life insurance so we will be keeping it..

Church ladies always have the good life. Wish I could retire and become a "Hells Angel" like you. :rofl:

:rofl:

Congratz!!!! Can I have your job :p

fine by me............it is part time. it comes with no benefits, never had a raise not in 12 years. no work no pay . afterschool for elementary school. i would say more but i won't.:glare:

fine by me............it is part time. it comes with no benefits, never had a raise not in 12 years. no work no pay . afterschool for elementary school. i would say more but i won't.:glare:

Put this way part time is better than no job. I haven't had insurance in 2 years and with how the economy and obamacare is going never will.

• Like 1

Put this way part time is better than no job. I haven't had insurance in 2 years and with how the economy and obamacare is going never will.

Please be sure to thank our President the next time you see him

my job has NEVER had insurance it was that way LONG before President Obama. Everything is not his fault. the economy was headed down fast before he became president. we can thank bush jr. and the republicans for that. JUST my opinion.

• Like 1

my job has NEVER had insurance it was that way LONG before President Obama. Everything is not his fault. the economy was headed down fast before he became president. we can thank bush jr. and the republicans for that. JUST my opinion.

We can thank Bush for Obamacare? :blink:

Wow, it truly is ALL his fault! :rofl:

And actually my position is and always will be that you can thank Clinton for his home ownership American dream for the state we are in... :good:

• Like 2

Please do not assume that I am blaming anyone Clinton, Bush, or Obama. However, Obama certainly is not helping the solve the problem. He needs to let insurance companies go across state lines, and stay the hell out of it. That is as political as I will ever get.

Besides, 2 years without healthcare, honestly what is a few more given I am in the prime of my life. I just need to make sure I don't do anything too stupid. Part-time is better than no time.

We can thank Bush for Obamacare? :blink:

Wow, it truly is ALL his fault! :rofl:

And actually my position is and always will be that you can thank Clinton for his home ownership American dream for the state we are in... :good:

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner - the Community Reinvestment Act which first reared its ugly head during Jimma Carter's one term.

Please do not assume that I am blaming anyone Clinton, Bush, or Obama. However, Obama certainly is not helping the solve the problem. He needs to let insurance companies go across state lines, and stay the hell out of it. That is as political as I will ever get.

Besides, 2 years without healthcare, honestly what is a few more given I am in the prime of my life. I just need to make sure I don't do anything too stupid. Part-time is better than no time.

Good for you!! Hang in there; sometimes part time converts to full time; maybe when business picks up, you'll get what you want.

excess social security withheld by more than one employer is reported on

line 69 of form 1040

Thanks for the tip. I haven't completely finished my taxes yet, so hopefully the program adds it in. I will def ck on it.

I have been thinking about retirement lately. Not that I am going to retire, just that I may stop ever considering it. Retirement may not be possible in America for those of us on the tail end of the Baby Boom. Not only may Social Security not be there but my 401K has taken some serious hits over the years and the country is in so much debt now that taxes will never be low enough for me to dig myself out of this retirement saving deficit. Might as well work till I die, social security is not going to be enough. My plan is to travel while working across the country doing contract work, it pays very very good. So from now till I am 65 I will stay put and then take off and work engineering jobs across the planet while allowing my wife to enjoy herself in new places.

PS: Mods this is not a political topic, its a personal topic but if it gets political as I expect it to, go ahead and send it over to Politics if you would please.

We are probably about the same age. I did some things with a spreadsheet and some account movements to assure me the ability to retire at 55. I can give you a copy of the spreadsheet I use, and the other spreadsheets you need to do calamity planning (to make your way through a stock market crash), etc. I am not sure, but maybe those can be attached to the PCOM mail system. Check and just let me know or I can email them manually and then walk you through them.

We are probably about the same age. I did some things with a spreadsheet and some account movements to assure me the ability to retire at 55. I can give you a copy of the spreadsheet I use, and the other spreadsheets you need to do calamity planning (to make your way through a stock market crash), etc. I am not sure, but maybe those can be attached to the PCOM mail system. Check and just let me know or I can email them manually and then walk you through them.

Great gesture. I did the same. I started about 8 years ago and planned through 2045 in great detail what my siutaion would be. Now I update it every year with actual (income, expenses and investment dollar balance) and I can also look at things such as buying a new house to determine what the exact impact would be over time. I also have an annual month by month cash flow analysis.

I am also willing to share my spreadsheet but it will dummy numbers, not my own. Just PM me and once you have it, we can discuss it on the phone.

Edited by PowderSpringsDad

The guy spends a ton of political capital so that uninsured people like you can have insurance in the next year or two and you don't think he's helping the problem? Really? Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth...jeez.

mrnn

• Like 2

Until the wife advised that she had a lot of life insurance, I was not expecting to retire anytime soon.

Now I am looking forward to being able to retire in the near future.

One a seperate note, anyone have any arsenic that aren't using?

(just a joke, don't get excited)

• Like 1

I will retire whe I decide too, provided there is no injury.In my profession that can happen ANY time. Even when just lifting a large patient off the floor. :pardon: Anyway, 55 is the age where I can retire from my job. A little earlier actualy. I put 13% , as of this year, into SS and my employer's pension funds this year. We are adding an additional 0.25% to the employer fund each year. Now it is 6.25% next year it will be 6.5%. I also pay monthly out of pocket to the State FF Pension Fund. It will pay starting at age 55 as well. SS is set at age 67 for me. And I have saved as well. I will earn around 70% of my pay from work, FFPF will be about $700/ month and SS is what it is. Unreliable. They tell me it will be around $1,300 / month. I doubt I will just retire and sit at home in that 12 year span. I will likely get another job and hopefully a retirement from that as well. We will have to wait and see about that in about 7 years. For that matter I may not even be in the US anymore either. I will likely retire to South / Central America. You can live well on much less down there.:drinks: But I did hear where Hawaii has the happiest citizens in the country. Maybe I will go there.

I have been retired for almost 7 years. WOO HOO!!!! I retired from the same program that Lady Raider's husband and Mr. Dis will be retiring from, Cobb County Government. I worked 30 years with CCPD and that was enough for me. I loved my job, but working with police officers for 30 years will drive you to cussing. LOL I was one month shy of being 50 when I retired. I started when i was 19 years old. You can do the math.

I never wanted to get another job and I haven't had to get another job. We have always lived beneath our means. Our home is paid for. We travel, but it's not on expensive trips. We camp and my Mom, sister and I go to Pigeon Forge as often as we can, about 3 times a year.

Do I sit around home and watch TV and eat Bon Bon's? Nope !!!! Not working at a JOB has given me the opportunity to help more at my church. Also since I have retired my Daddy was ill and passed away. This gave me time to help take care of him. Now my Mama is 80 years young. Being retired allows me to help her with anything she needs. I go to her house one night a week to watch TV with her and spend the night. This just gives her a little company since Daddy has been gone. I have grandkids now. Being retired allows me to go to all their school events and have them over alot to make memories.

So while it seems that being retired so young is something I shouldn't have done in alot of people's eyes, it's something that I love and I can still pay the bills without any help from the Government. I am so thankful for the retirement plan Cobb county has. Rule of 80 is your age and years of service equal 80 and you can retire.

My husband is a retired CCPD police officer. There are several options we could take for our retirement. He took the plan where he gets a little less a year so that if he dies before me, I will get half of his retirement pay along with mine.

We also got to keep our health insurance. That has been wonderful. Yes, it has been going up every year, but ithe premiums are nothing like they would be if we had to get private insurance.

We fully understand that the price of everthing is going up. We are prepared for that. We don't like it, but we are prepared. We have a garden and we can and freeze food. It's a hobby that will help when we get old. I'm not old and believe me, retiring when I did has made me feel younger!!!

Oh you aint seen nothin yet, Obamacare is going to bankrupt the country and then what?

Oh I forgot to add : why wait until you are too old to enjoy retirement? I also plan to get my social security as soon as I can. Yes, I know that it will be a reduced amount, but I'll be danged if I die before getting to spend some of my hard earned money.

• Like 2

I have been retired for almost 7 years. WOO HOO!!!! I retired from the same program that Lady Raider's husband and Mr. Dis will be retiring from, Cobb County Government. I worked 30 years with CCPD and that was enough for me. I loved my job, but working with police officers for 30 years will drive you to cussing. LOL I was one month shy of being 50 when I retired. I started when i was 19 years old. You can do the math.

I never wanted to get another job and I haven't had to get another job. We have always lived beneath our means. Our home is paid for. We travel, but it's not on expensive trips. We camp and my Mom, sister and I go to Pigeon Forge as often as we can, about 3 times a year.

Do I sit around home and watch TV and eat Bon Bon's? Nope !!!! Not working at a JOB has given me the opportunity to help more at my church. Also since I have retired my Daddy was ill and passed away. This gave me time to help take care of him. Now my Mama is 80 years young. Being retired allows me to help her with anything she needs. I go to her house one night a week to watch TV with her and spend the night. This just gives her a little company since Daddy has been gone. I have grandkids now. Being retired allows me to go to all their school events and have them over alot to make memories.

So while it seems that being retired so young is something I shouldn't have done in alot of people's eyes, it's something that I love and I can still pay the bills without any help from the Government. I am so thankful for the retirement plan Cobb county has. Rule of 80 is your age and years of service equal 80 and you can retire.

My husband is a retired CCPD police officer. There are several options we could take for our retirement. He took the plan where he gets a little less a year so that if he dies before me, I will get half of his retirement pay along with mine.

We also got to keep our health insurance. That has been wonderful. Yes, it has been going up every year, but ithe premiums are nothing like they would be if we had to get private insurance.

We fully understand that the price of everthing is going up. We are prepared for that. We don't like it, but we are prepared. We have a garden and we can and freeze food. It's a hobby that will help when we get old. I'm not old and believe me, retiring when I did has made me feel younger!!!

This is key if you have plans to retire, IMO! We did the same thing. We could have afforded to buy a more expensive house, car, etc... but we chose to live frugally for 40 years so we could retire comfortably. We're retired now debt free and not having to worry about how to pay our bills while enjoying being retired. It's a wonderful life!!! :yahoo:

I was giving you a + , but my finger hit the other button. I agree with you!

Some of us that were smart enough to start saving from a very young age weren't lucky enough to be able to keep that savings through layoffs and life events.

Very true but luckly those folks were smart enough to save and have that money for those issues rather then lose everything. No shame in that.

Eventually, we will retire. Fortunately, both my husband and I love our jobs and made all the right sacrifices, moving to the right places, working for the right companies, getting the right education, all for the goal of the jobs we have now. Moved 8 times. Took many lateral moves or even lower paying jobs to get other skill sets. Travel to many countries to get other perspectives. Education in different places.

Retirement will be when we decide we no longer want to work or have diminished capacity and we're no longer mentally fit.

We take 12 weeks holiday per year now, so travel is not something we look forward to later on. Honestly, we enjoy our monthly weekend get away more than the longer holidays. And we take several weekends to travel with the Darlington Academy where one of our boys plays futbal.

Really. Retirement would not be something I would enjoy right now, though my husband and I would like to volunteer for the causes we support.

Edited by zoocrew