Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
kgragg

Cat has severe diarhea

Our cat has severe diarhea all of the sudden. He's been fine all morning, but after eating a can of food, he now has diarhea. There is a small amount of blood in the stool. Vets are closed, called ER vet and of course the first thing they say is bring him in. Money is tight, it's not gonna happen. :( what can we do to help him until we can get him to the vet first thing Monday morning?

The internet answers all questions........

What Causes Cat Diarrhea?

• Change in diet
  • Dairy or other food intolerance
  • Ingestion of spoiled food
  • Hairballs
  • Allergic reaction
  • Bacterial or viral infection
  • Internal parasites, such as roundworms, coccidia and Giardia
  • Inflammatory bowel disease
  • Kidney or liver disease
  • Cancer or other tumors of the digestive tract
  • Certain medications
  • Hyperthyroidism
  • Colitis
  • http://pets.webmd.co...de/cat-diarrhea

From the Animal Planet website...

What to Do for your Cat

Keep your cat comfortable, with access to a clean litter box and fresh water. If his diarrhea is mild, or you know he's eaten something that prompted it (including "people food"), you can offer him a bland diet, such as white rice with plain boiled chicken or boiled hamburger meat (no salt or pepper on his food, please). This is easily digestible and should calm his system. You can also mix some fiber granules, such as Metamucil, in his food, to add bulk to his stool. Or try a spoonful of plain yogurt . Monitor his activity to see if he visits the litter box less frequently, and note if the consistency of the stool returns to its usual form.

http://animal.discov...h-diarrhea.html

Edited by Rookie

What I will say will not be very good. I had a small dog that got diar. on Friday; Sat, blood in stool; Sunday, Easter Sunday; stool was mostly blood. Went to the ER vet. Dog had a 50/50 chance but made it. It cost me a fortune. She had to stay the night on IVs.

When a small animal get dia., it can impact them very quickly (per the vet).

If you take now; ;should not be so expensive. Or; lots of liquids; spoon feed if necessary to avoid dehydration. If you can squeeze out the funds, I would go today. JMHO

Our cat has severe diarhea all of the sudden. He's been fine all morning, but after eating a can of food, he now has diarhea. There is a small amount of blood in the stool. Vets are closed, called ER vet and of course the first thing they say is bring him in. Money is tight, it's not gonna happen. :( what can we do to help him until we can get him to the vet first thing Monday morning?

If you still have the empty can of food, bring it with you to the vet. If there's a recall of any sort, that can may have some tracking numbers on it. You need to try to keep kitty hydrated, with water or chicken broth. Warming it might help. So will rice, if you can get kitty to eat it (some suggest adding boiled unseasoned chicken or rice.) Is the cat in any pain, that you can tell? Any vomiting? Any other pets sick?

I agree with MissSophie, a vet trip today if possible is best.

if you feel you can get liquid oral medication into this kitty , you can purchase something at Petsmart the medication name is Kaolin Pectin at Petsmart I think the box says just Diarrhea medication , I think it is in the dog section but it is ok for cats as well.

Have the soup chickens do a PCOM prayer vigil. They think prayer works as long as you aren't a starving black child in Africa or a Jew in an extermination camp.

• Like 2

Have the soup chickens do a PCOM prayer vigil. They think prayer works as long as you aren't a starving black child in Africa or a Jew in an extermination camp.

We get it...you don't believe in religion. But why bring your drivel into this thread?

Edited by cptlo306
  • Like 5

Did the can of food have any kind of dairy in it like the new cheese flavors that are out? I can't feed it to my cats because it will give them diarrhea in a heartbeat. If it was one of those cheese flavored foods then give them plenty of water and time with their litter box. They should be ok by tomorrow. Most adult cats are intolerant to dairy.

Kitty is doing much better. We found out that he had gotten into a bowl of milk (a big bowl) and it tore up his tummy!

We gave him some watered down yogurt, and he is back to his perky little self. Yay!

Thanks for all of your comments (minus the one sarcastic comment)!

• Like 3

You are messed up!! Glad the kitty is okay...

:yahoo: Glad to see the good news!

Some cats can tolerate (and love) plain yogurt. My 2 cats love it. They were given it back when they were at the PC shelter because it is good for their stomach. Yogurt has a lower amount of lactose in it from what I've read, which may be why adult cats can tolerate it better than milk or other dairy.

We get it...you don't believe in religion. But why bring your drivel into this thread?

Or ANY thread, for that matter. Now I remember why I put that A-hole on ignore several years ago.

Or ANY thread, for that matter. Now I remember why I put that A-hole on ignore several years ago.

It's really no worse than the people who feel the need to turn every thread into a political debate or bash session.

Glad the little kitty is ok.

• Like 2

I think the soup chickens should pray for the kitty to have a firm stool. They are already praying for others here in the Internet Cafe. You don't think they have enough prayer mojo for the humans and the kitty at the same time?

• Like 1

I think the soup chickens should pray for the kitty to have a firm stool. They are already praying for others here in the Internet Cafe. You don't think they have enough prayer mojo for the humans and the kitty at the same time?

Is a soup chicken the same as a moose chicken? You know nothing about prayer. how could you? You are too busy chasing ghosts in NY.

Mods, please close topic due to the negativity that has started and the sarcastic comments being made by the ones that always stir up conflict. Thanks everyone for your POSITIVE comments, advice, and well wishes for our furbaby!

• Like 1

Mods, please close topic due to the negativity that has started and the sarcastic comments being made by the ones that always stir up conflict. Thanks everyone for your POSITIVE comments, advice, and well wishes for our furbaby!

Just ignore the negative ones, they just want attention I guess. It is incredibly rude to come into your thread to get it though.

Hope your kitty is well this morning.