Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
overit

If you could move....

Don't forget the brick wall, moat, crocodiles and sharks. :)

Of course not! You and unionmom are my neighbors on either side of my 500 acres (with your own 500 acres each), who I pledge to come visit at least once a year. :D

the panhandle has less jobs than south Florida, and they pay even less !-a little less expensive though, and at least it has seasons

My panhandle job is paying me more than I was making in Atlanta.

And it is definitely less expensive, much lower car tag tax, no food sales tax, no state income tax, and in the winter it 'might' get down into the high 30's.

Just north of Detroit in the Rochester Hills or Troy area. It's home. It's where my closest friends and 90% of my family reside. It has it's downsides but being close to them would easily make up for all of them.

I went to Detroit in the late 90's. I spent some time in an area just outside of Detroit too, I think it was Birmingham?? It was nice. I stayed in an old Ford Mansion that someone purchased and were renovating, in Detroit. It needed a lot of work, but was really cool. There was a wine cellar stocked. There was a hidden, underground, tunnel from the house to the detached garage. For quick, unnoticed getaway I suppose.

If money were no issue - Boden Town, Grand Caymen, in a shotgun house with the ocean breeze. Love, love, love Boden. But, since I can visit periodically and I must live in the real world - we're currently looking at places near Charleston......I'd rather Savannah, but, kiddo planning to attend Clemson and we can sure use the in state tuition.

Now you're talkin'! I love Grand Cayman! :)

you are seriously underestimating the power of naked lesbian militia's. :mellow:

So that's the meeting the wife goes to every week and I thought it had something to do with Amway.

I've found there are quite a few jobs in the area we're looking. It just depends on what you can do.

I've actually found about a dozen jobs I'm qualified for but can't apply for them yet. Not until I get there. I rarely find a dozen jobs HERE that I remotely want to apply for. In fact, one I found there I'm still tempted to apply for even now. It is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. EXACTLY!

The "panhandle" isn't just the beaches, contrary to what a lot of people seem to believe, my next door neighbor included. Where we plan to move, we will be a half hour from the beach. We'll actually be closer to Alabama than the beach. I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't WAIT!!

Where we're going, you go a mile off the main road (4 lane, much like 278) and you are in between huge cotton and soybean fields. In sight of the high school! You go another mile or two and you're deep in farmland with cotton fields, soybean fields, peanut patches as far as you can see. But you're still a half hour/45 minutes to the beach.

We will have a bigger house with a higher assessed value and with the homestead exemption, our property taxes will be lower than they are here. Since we will be north of I-10, the insurance should be pretty reasonable. We will be inside the city limits, have access to a Y, a great library system, friendly people. Go 30 minutes west and you are in Pensacola. Go a half hour east and you are in Destin.

Since neither of us like cold weather we're OK with the two seasons of hot and hotter. We love having the doors open in January.

the panhandle has less jobs than south Florida, and they pay even less !-a little less expensive though, and at least it has seasons

You are making it harder and harder for me to stay here in Georgia!!! I can't wait to be in Santa Rosa County. I'd count down the days if I knew when the closing date was. pardon.gif

My panhandle job is paying me more than I was making in Atlanta.

And it is definitely less expensive, much lower car tag tax, no food sales tax, no state income tax, and in the winter it 'might' get down into the high 30's.

Where would you go, and why?

Actually, I could and I did. I sold some patents and moved to the Leatherstocking Region of Central NY to get a farmhouse built in the 1700's on a few hundred acres. I love history, and this house has a ton of it. It even has a ghost. A slave hung herself in one of the bedrooms in the late 1700's. Now things move around on their own and you can hear her pace the halls sometimes. The area was very important to the revolutionary war, and some of the forts within 10 or so miles from my house have great stories written of their contributions.

Actually, I could and I did. I sold some patents and moved to the Leatherstocking Region of Central NY to get a farmhouse built in the 1700's on a few hundred acres. I love history, and this house has a ton of it. It even has a ghost. A slave hung herself in one of the bedrooms in the late 1700's. Now things move around on their own and you can hear her pace the halls sometimes. The area was very important to the revolutionary war, and some of the forts within 10 or so miles from my house have great stories written of their contributions.

How did you end up posting on Pcom ?

For serious?

Myrtle Beach, SC

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the area. I'm not so much a beach person as far as getting my toes in the sand but I LOVE to sit on a balcony and watch the ocean and the people. I would want an ocean front condo on the 5th floor on the South Side aka Surfside Beach. I wouldn't have to worry about missing my children because DS will not settle in Paulding County anyway and DD and the GRANDS will be visiting ALL the time.

Closer to being reality I would love to move back to Cleburne County, AL. I may lay my head in Georgia but THAT is where my heart and home are.

California, near the beach. I would spend my winters in Montana.

ETA-reverse that. Montana in the summer, Cali in the winter. I don't like being cold.

Edited by jenilyn

Myrtle Beach, SC

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the area. I'm not so much a beach person as far as getting my toes in the sand but I LOVE to sit on a balcony and watch the ocean and the people. I would want an ocean front condo on the 5th floor on the South Side aka Surfside Beach. I wouldn't have to worry about missing my children because DS will not settle in Paulding County anyway and DD and the GRANDS will be visiting ALL the time.

Closer to being reality I would love to move back to Cleburne County, AL. I may lay my head in Georgia but THAT is where my heart and home are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C29Fs-WNIrg

Edited by CitizenCain
  • Like 1

snapback.pngAnonyMoose, on 22 February 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

You believe in ghosts? Hmmmm. Really?

• Like 1

:good: MASSACHUSETTS I want to go back home!!!

Not to late for everyone in Paulding to donate a $1.00 to help me get the hell out of here!!!!:D

We have a huge family history in Massachusetts, going back a couple hundred years in some cases. Both my parents were born and raised just outside of Boston, and my father kept his accent his entire life, even though

he was in his late 40's when they moved to just outside Philadelphia. All my ( 3 brothers and 3 sisters ) 6 siblings were born in Mass, I was the only one born in Philly.. My mothers sister passed away last month, and next month we are attending her memorial service in Danvers....

As far as where I would want to move..I cant make up my mind. I think maybe the coast of S. Carolina, or the coast of Georgia.. As much as I LOVE New England, I cant go back to the cold.

Edited by wenfen
  • Like 1

If I stayed in Georgia it would be up the road to Rome.....that is one beautiful county.

Berry College is stunning.

If I moved out of state, probably to Panama City because that is where I get "lost". I would have to vacation during the summer tho because I hate hot weather.

Now, out of the country would be Belize.

My sister lived there for years as a missionary. I never got to visit her there but she said it was awesome.

Somewhere tropical with a white beach, clear water, and lots of sun. Dunno why, but I can't get enough of that in my old age.

We have a huge family history in Massachusetts, going back a couple hundred years in some cases. Both my parents were born and raised just outside of Boston, and my father kept his accent his entire life, even though

he was in his late 40's when they moved to just outside Philadelphia. All my ( 3 brothers and 3 sisters ) 6 siblings were born in Mass, I was the only one born in Philly.. My mothers sister passed away last month, and next month we are attending her memorial service in Danvers....

As far as where I would want to move..I cant make up my mind. I think maybe the coast of S. Carolina, or the coast of Georgia.. As much as I LOVE New England, I cant go back to the cold.

I've been to the "low country" a bit and I loved it. Thought I would end up somewhere between there and Nags Head. Then I paid attention to the storms and how often they get hit.

No can doeeeeee. :D

The Keys are very nice but we don't have the kind of money it takes to do it well.

I really don't know where we will end up. I would love to have a beach around. St. Augustine was nice.

We may move to another area of Georgia one day, but for now, I'm happy where I am. I was born and raised here and all of my family is close by. I like being surrounded by family. They are the ones that I can always count on to have my back, and I, theirs.

I would want to live in Savannah, Ga. It is such a quaint and charming town with so much history

and so much to do. Close to Tybee Isaland, not far from Hilton Head, Beaufort, Brunswick and St Simons,

all my favorite places. Sun, Sand,surf and great Seafood. :)

Stateside, Oregon, without a doubt.

I have numerous friends there in farming communes that are beautiful, organic, eco-friendly, and basically big, giant families. In the 5 years I've known them, the only thing they've fought about is dishes. Lots of fights about dishes.

Out of the country? No idea. I'd like to think India, but I think if I had the option to leave the country I wouldn't want to settle down. Somewhere much less developed than America, that's for sure.

After a few visits, I think Myrtle Bch would be a cool place to move to, but not leaving the grandkids here.

Beach --- entertainment --- more. Huricanes could be a problem though.

At least as happy as the folks in Myrtle Beach.

Edited by AustinPlantation

That's going to be the hardest thing for me. Leaving my grandbabies (and the grown grandchildren) here. sad.gif We fully expect our youngest daughter, her husband and their two little ones to follow us to Florida in a year or so.

After a few visits, I think Myrtle Bch would be a cool place to move to, but not leaving the grandkids here.

Beach --- entertainment --- more. Huricanes could be a problem though.

I would move to Flagstaff Arizona...Painted desert,Grand Canyon all right there..You get some snow in the winter and very dark blue skies in the summer with highs in the 70s and 80s...If you dont like the winter weather just drive south about 80 miles and reduce the elevation about 3000ft and your in 70 degree temps in the winter...Welcome to Sedona red rock area....Best of both worlds. When you wake up in the mornings you look out to a 14,000ft mountain just north of flagstaff. Snow on top all year long....

• Like 1

I would move to Flagstaff Arizona...Painted desert,Grand Canyon all right there..You get some snow in the winter and very dark blue skies in the summer with highs in the 70s and 80s...If you dont like the winter weather just drive south about 80 miles and reduce the elevation about 3000ft and your in 70 degree temps in the winter...Welcome to Sedona red rock area....Best of both worlds. When you wake up in the mornings you look out to a 14,000ft mountain just north of flagstaff. Snow on top all year long....

I've always thought that was such a beautiful area.

If I were to stay in the US...I'd have a summer home in Montana. Breathtakingly beautiful country and the people are awesome.

New Zealand.

Why? Because it is not the US but you can still understand the language. Well most of it.

But I would settle for being an expat in Panama.

Oh Helz Yeah!

I have a DEAR friend (so dear my daughter is named for her) who lives part of the year right outside of Christchuch, New Zealand. She works for Raytheon Polar Services.

Fascinating place, and I would go there in a heartbeat :) .

Indiana. We actually went this past week looking at houses. The economy never really took that bad of a hit, very good paying jobs are plentiful, and lately have been unhappy here for our liking.

We skype with our other grandkids up North. You can get a TV or BluRay Player that has Skype built in, so they will show up much better than on a PC.

That's going to be the hardest thing for me. Leaving my grandbabies (and the grown grandchildren) here. sad.gif We fully expect our youngest daughter, her husband and their two little ones to follow us to Florida in a year or so.

Yep, gonna have to Skype. My sister in law uses Voxxer to keep in touch with her son stationed in Japan. Might check into that, too.

We skype with our other grandkids up North. You can get a TV or BluRay Player that has Skype built in, so they will show up much better than on a PC.

You believe in ghosts? Hmmmm. Really?

Anything is possible until scientifically proven impossible; though my comments were tongue in cheek and meant to be humorous. Sure, I think it's 50% possible that ghosts exists. But unline the silly skydaddy stuff you believe in - when someone asks you to prove your assertion your little head explodes whereas I try to ponder whether anything skydaddy related could have been historically factual. You believe in ghosts, straight up. You believe in the bible, and it has ghosts. You also believe in demons. And multiple gods. And angels. You even think saying you are praying in a thread on PCOM will magically make a sick kid in a hospital get instantly better. You should stay quiet on most subjects - people will be less aware of your silly beliefs that way.

Oh Helz Yeah!

I have a DEAR friend (so dear my daughter is named for her) who lives part of the year right outside of Christchuch, New Zealand. She works for Raytheon Polar Services.

Fascinating place, and I would go there in a heartbeat :) .

Don't make eye contact with the spiders and snakes over there. That place is insta-death.

Edited by AnonyMoose

I have read recently that retirees do well in college towns with all the sports and lively lifestyle.

Also, I've heard that Alabama is financially good for retirees so I am looking and thinking.