Paulding.com

Death at Paulding County Jail

Yes there was a death in the jail on Saturday morning, it was a very close friend of mines nephew. Very sad situation so please just say a lot of prayers for this family. They just recently in early January buried their father/grandfather and now this.

I do not believe it is anyones business. There is a family hurting somewhere and that is all that should matter. PCOM makes me sick most of the time.

Well, when someone in custody dies, some official explanation is due. Was it natural causes, inmate violence, or guard related? After all the PCSO does work for US, and they have to be accountable. A simple 25 words or less press release will do.

That doesn't diminish anyone's grief.

• Like 4

Yeah I tried searching too and it only led me to this thread. I'm curious as to what exactly happened.

Prayers for the family. :wub:

Well, when someone in custody dies, some official explanation is due. Was it natural causes, inmate violence, or guard related? After all the PCSO does work for US, and they have to be accountable. A simple 25 words or less press release will do.

Yes, I agree. Well said.

Edited by NinaBritt

Exactly. And it's not the first death while in custody.

That would be priceless.

"We hereby announce that nothing has happened." :yahoo:

Not exactly. Rumors that an incident happened were incorrect would more the possibility. I just don't assume anything until I have an official report.

pubby

Not exactly. Rumors that an incident happened were incorrect would more the possibility. I just don't assume anything until I have an official report.

pubby

C'mon, Pubster. why would it take 3 days to wordsmith up a simple "move along, folks, nothing to see here" statement? If nothing happened, that's not a big challenge to the PIO.

Where's your journalistic curiosity, anyway?

We have the release and will be posting it shortly on the front. The essence of the release says:

The Paulding County Sheriff’s Office along with the Calhoun Regional Office of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) are investigating the in-custody death of Andrew Scott Pittman (W/M, 26 YOA). In the early morning hours of February 8, 2013 Pittman was found unconscious in a bathroom inside the Detention Center. Once he was located, aid was immediately rendered to Pittman.

Pittman was being held in the Paulding County Detention Center on a variety of felony drug-related charges, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and probation violation.

Pittman had been in custody since November 14, 2012 and was awaiting trail. Preliminary investigations indicate that the death does not appear to be due to any altercation or act of violence. An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.

We have the release and will be posting it shortly on the front. The essence of the release says:

The Paulding County Sheriff’s Office along with the Calhoun Regional Office of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) are investigating the in-custody death of Andrew Scott Pittman (W/M, 26 YOA). In the early morning hours of February 8, 2013 Pittman was found unconscious in a bathroom inside the Detention Center. Once he was located, aid was immediately rendered to Pittman.

Pittman was being held in the Paulding County Detention Center on a variety of felony drug-related charges, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and probation violation.

Pittman had been in custody since November 14, 2012 and was awaiting trail. Preliminary investigations indicate that the death does not appear to be due to any altercation or act of violence. An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.

Yeah. What are the chances of it being "natural causes"? I bet there are some hineys all puckered up on Industrial Drive.

• Like 1

Yeah. What are the chances of it being "natural causes"? I bet there are some hineys all puckered up on Industrial Drive.

You would be surprised. Smoking - and I mean cigarettes - I have learned is largely responsible for the premature formation of plaque in the arteries. Throw in burgers and fries, milkshakes and meth and you probably have a burgeoning case that may take 40 years to come to a climax ... or may not.

See, you could have 5 percent calcification of a key artery and if a large enough piece of plaque breaks loose, you could be gone in a minute. Now that kind of 'happening' is odd but odd means it happens to only one in 10 or 20 thousand people that early in life ... but it does happen.

Now I'm not saying that is what happened there and there are several other alternatives including the inmate gaining access to contraband that may have been deadly as well.

Jails are not nice places and all sorts of things happen in them that ought not in a place under the control of law enforcement. Just to make that point, there have been two Sgt. supervisors at Cobb that have been charged with a form of rape in the last 30 days. (If a female inmate is in the custody of an officer and sexual contact occurs, it is by definition rape by the person in power because they are presumably acting under color of authority. Of course neither you or I gave any of them that authority.)

Anyway, I just don't think it proper to criticize the SO without the facts. At this point no one has the facts. There will plenty of time for criticism if and when the facts support such criticism. Until then, any thing else is idle speculation.

pubby

• 2 months later...

Isnt this the second inmate in the past month or two or do I have that wrong? You are absolutely right Glass-doggie the local jail is definitely public and all lockups, releases and deaths while in custody should be made public.

• Like 1

You would be surprised. Smoking - and I mean cigarettes - I have learned is largely responsible for the premature formation of plaque in the arteries. Throw in burgers and fries, milkshakes and meth and you probably have a burgeoning case that may take 40 years to come to a climax ... or may not.

See, you could have 5 percent calcification of a key artery and if a large enough piece of plaque breaks loose, you could be gone in a minute. Now that kind of 'happening' is odd but odd means it happens to only one in 10 or 20 thousand people that early in life ... but it does happen.

Now I'm not saying that is what happened there and there are several other alternatives including the inmate gaining access to contraband that may have been deadly as well.

Jails are not nice places and all sorts of things happen in them that ought not in a place under the control of law enforcement. Just to make that point, there have been two Sgt. supervisors at Cobb that have been charged with a form of rape in the last 30 days. (If a female inmate is in the custody of an officer and sexual contact occurs, it is by definition rape by the person in power because they are presumably acting under color of authority. Of course neither you or I gave any of them that authority.)

Anyway, I just don't think it proper to criticize the SO without the facts. At this point no one has the facts. There will plenty of time for criticism if and when the facts support such criticism. Until then, any thing else is idle speculation.

pubby

Although I agree that heart attacks happen to all ages i would lean more toward withdrawal death in many jail deaths. Withdrawal from alcohol is a very dangerous event for an alcoholic, can be fatal and often is. Scratch that in this case, it was a few months between lockup and death. Could be drug related?

Edited by DiehardKy

Isnt this the second inmate in the past month or two or do I have that wrong? You are absolutely right Glass-doggie the local jail is definitely public and all lockups, releases and deaths while in custody should be made public.

I think it's the same inmate. This is a thread from February