Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Mythreecutiesmom

power bill way up that last time

Looked at our recent power bill today and it shows for for the current month is 401.00 . WE have never had a bill that high ! The most it has ever been was 250.00 . Anyone else have this happen ? What do I do ?

Crazy for our bill to be that high! no one is home during the day we all work and have school and yes we turn off all the lights when we are gone and when we go to bed. :angry:

I would call your power company if you think this it's too out of the ordinary for you. You never know, maybe they could have had an error in their system. And you'd never know unless you call.

Edited by NinaBritt

Does not sound normal. Could be a mistake by the power company. Are you total electric? From the bill I assume you are. Have you had your furnace and hot water tank checked. During the short cold snaps we have had recently if your furnace has been running more during that billing period it could be calling for the heat strips unnecessarily. If you have natural gas/propane heat I don't know. Also stoves, heaters, pools, freezers, refridgerators or any appliance that stay plugged in can be a culprit. While the power companies absolutely make mistakes if your meter shows that kwh used during that period to be correct, you will have to pay.

Looked at our recent power bill today and it shows for for the current month is 401.00 . WE have never had a bill that high ! The most it has ever been was 250.00 . Anyone else have this happen ? What do I do ?

Crazy for our bill to be that high! no one is home during the day we all work and have school and yes we turn off all the lights when we are gone and when we go to bed. :angry:

Our bill this month is $359, which is more like our summertime bills with the AC at 72 and summer power rates. We're usually $200ish, typically less, during the winter months. It wasn't even all that cold last month. I need to call them as well.

mrnn

ours went up a little but not as much as some in this topic...

Greystone said there were no changes to the billing rates nor any estimations, etc....just a cooler billing period. The little chart on my bill showed that this was my highest energy usage of the year but when she looked at my account history that chart proved to be wrong.

mrnn

Greystone was no help, the lady said it must be something in our house, I told her nothing has changed and the thermostat stays on 67 I know cause I always have to bundle up in a blanket at night . She said they could come check the meter but it nothing was wrong with it they would charge us a fee. Really ?? I'm gonna leave it up to hubby , to check and call .

I went to Greystones website and was able to look at my bills for the past 21 months and this bill was the highest in that time. The closes bill I had to it was $318.00 back in the hottest part of summer with a pool pump running.

Ours was higher. Then I got to thinking about it and we had done a lot differently so it didn't matter.

We turned our heat up since hubby was recovering from surgery and tended to be cool at night.

Hubby was inside all day every day, usually with the TV on.

Christmas was in December. More cooking. Longer nights, more lights.

Think about it and see if there wasn't something different for you. Kids at home due to holiday break, maybe? More computers, game systems, TVs running? More cooking? Think it over. I bet you'll see that things were different and you just didn't realize it. I was stunned until it dawned on me the time period covered by the bill.

If you had an increase, did you have more lighted Christmas decorations than usual? Those can eat up the power, especially the inside ones if they are on 18 hours a day or so. I always have a blip on our Dec/Jan bill. This year it's only $25 or so, but I didn't put up the 120' of icicle lights this year I usually do either since I had the flu over Thanksgiving weekend.

We didn't have any Christmas decorations, and our house has a gas furnace. I'm not sure what happened.

Mine was up $5 from last month and down $5 from last year

I'm prepaid and my usage went WAY up in January. (went from under $2 a day to about $5.50 a day--a huge leap for us) As far as I can tell, my usage and charges are correct. I keep a daily log of my kilowatt usage hours from the meter on the house. It's worth keeping a check on that meter....I've found I was overcharged in the past. If you call and ask about the higher bills, they will tell you it's based off the kilowatt usage reported from the electronic meters. It doesn't hurt to keep an eye on it just in case.