Paulding.com

I found out thats happened. Guess hubby will get a new trunking scanner for his birthday.:wub:

The old system is a trunking system.

It has nothing to do with trunking, both old and new systems are trunking systems.

The new system is digital. The old one is analog.

The old system is a trunking system.

It has nothing to do with trunking, both old and new systems are trunking systems.

The new system is digital. The old one is analog.

That is correct and according to my info, scanners won't pick up any of the calls now.

That is correct and according to my info, scanners won't pick up any of the calls now.

They haven't moved completely to the new system yet.

They are actually running both systems simultaneously.

Radio transmissions have been reduced by a good bit because

of the MDT's in the Sheriff's vehicles.

They are silently dispatched to most calls.

Only priority 1 calls go out over the radio,

unless a deputy doesn't respond to the MDT dispatch.

It won't be too long before they are on the new system completely... and that will indeed prevent most scanners from picking up the transmissions.

Edited by Nitro

They went with a MotoTRBO system which is digital but is not decoded by any commercially-available scanner. Scanner listeners are out of luck with the new system.

And just so you know, MotoTRBO is a proprietary system by Motorola that was never intended for use for public safety; it is a business radio system. (Idiot move number one of our county commission). The "standard" for digital public safety radio systems is the P25 system, which is not only open (non-proprietary) but is also what is used by EVERY county that surrounds us that has gone digital. (Idiot move number two of our county commission).

When our county chose the proprietary MotoTRBO system, they instantly killed any hope of interop between our neighboring counties with P25.

They went with a MotoTRBO system which is digital but is not decoded by any commercially-available scanner. Scanner listeners are out of luck with the new system.

And just so you know, MotoTRBO is a proprietary system by Motorola that was never intended for use for public safety; it is a business radio system. (Idiot move number one of our county commission). The "standard" for digital public safety radio systems is the P25 system, which is not only open (non-proprietary) but is also what is used by EVERY county that surrounds us that has gone digital. (Idiot move number two of our county commission).

When our county chose the proprietary MotoTRBO system, they instantly killed any hope of interop between our neighboring counties with P25.

Really !! Are they really that stupid???? :o

Check out some of the reasons why this was a stupid move. Someone must have

taken a bribe to want this system. What happens when you let anyone make

decisions that don't know and don't care except what they want or can make money from.

http://forums.radior...2-mototrbo.html

http://forum.motorol...php?topic=372.0

http://www.trboconne...o/platform.html

http://www.firehouse...117788-Mototrbo

Edited by radiohead

Well walmart sells digital police scanners, will they work? There is also a place in Powder Springs that sells police scanners, but, i can't remember the name of the place. It's in the shopping center behind Martins.

I think the name is Code Red?!? It's near the Domino's, if the Domino's is still there.

Just to reiterate, you will *not* be able to listen to the MotoTRBO system that Paulding County is moving to with *any* digital scanner. The encoding that Motorola uses for MotoTRBO is proprietary and they do not license it out to any other radio company.

Unless Paulding County simulcasts their traffic on an analog channel, we're all going to be in the dark very soon.

It is possible, albeit with flaky success, to decode the audio with some software that hobbyists have written that can (sort of) decode the audio, but you have to modify your scanner and solder in a tap to a circuit within then route that to a computer running the software. But, as it stands right now, the software doesn't "follow" conversations across frequency changes, so it's not easy to follow along. And, it's pretty flaky.

Edited by VoicesInMyHead

Thank you for the information. I am very upset now that I can't listen. There are so many "things" that go on in the county no one will ever know about now. I listened out for break in and such. I would think this is a public issue and should be open for all to listen to. This really sucks for us scanner listeners. Now I guess I will have to listen to music while cleaning my house.

Check out some of the reasons why this was a stupid move. Someone must have

taken a bribe to want this system. What happens when you let anyone make

decisions that don't know and don't care except what they want or can make money from.

I figured somebody's brother-in-law was selling the Motorola system. Not that any elected official would ever make a decision based on something like that. No, never.

• Like 1