Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Candycane

Topamax

My Dr. prescribed me Topamax about a month ago for Migraine prevention. He told me that one of the side effects was that food would start to have a weird taste and I would probably lose weight. Im thinking boy that's a good side effect. He also told me to drink plenty of water to prevent kidney stones, and I may experience tingling in fingers and toes. Well he didnt lie about the weight loss. I have lost 25 pounds in one month. Crazy because I have never been able to lose that much weight in a year. After about the second day I noticed a metallic taste to my food, I don't have a appetite, I have to make myself eat. Sodas have a flat taste to them, so I don't even bother. I have not had any of the other side effects i've read about, ex. hair loss/thinning, memory loss, hallucinations, kidney stone, tingling. Im on a low dosage 25 mg, but he is suppose to increase it to 50mg in another month. I have not seen any improvement with the migraines, but he said that could take 2 to 3 months. I am surprised this medicine has not been marketed as a weight loss pill!!

It was prescribed to me for the same thing ans I had bizarre side effects....couldn't get words to form, couldn't spell, feet tingling, memory loss.....no thanks. I'll stick with anti depressant therapy for migraine prevention. I's rather be fat and happy then skinny and miserable. It did stop the migraines though. Different strokes.....

It was prescribed to me for the same thing ans I had bizarre side effects....couldn't get words to form, couldn't spell, feet tingling, memory loss.....no thanks. I'll stick with anti depressant therapy for migraine prevention. I's rather be fat and happy then skinny and miserable. It did stop the migraines though. Different strokes.....

I have not had any of the other side effects, just the weird taste in food. Im on a low dosage but maybe that's why. If the migraines do not improve I will ask to switch to something else.

I'm surprised anyone would want to take a medication with such terrible side effects.

All medications have some form of side effects. If it will help these migraines I will try anything.

I would rather be fat than not be able to taste my food properly. I love food. I think I would have to go another route if I had migraines.

And I would rather not taste food than to have crippling headaches. Until you've had a migraine where you couldnt move, you wouldnt understand. I would rather be pain free than to enjoy food. So If I had to chose, give me the horrible taste in food anday over a migraine!!

I would rather be fat than not be able to taste my food properly. I love food. I think I would have to go another route if I had migraines.

I am 5'10 and now weigh 130 lbs. My goal in taking this medication was never to lose weight, it just happened to be one of the side effects. Even at 155, I was happy with my weight, my doctor been preaching to the choir about me losing 10 to 15 pounds, but I was perfectly happy with my weight. Even now if it will help with these migraines I will continue to take it!!

I am 5'10 and now weigh 130 lbs. My goal in taking this medication was never to lose weight, it just happened to be one of the side effects. Even at 155, I was happy with my weight, my doctor been preaching to the choir about me losing 10 to 15 pounds, but I was perfectly happy with my weight. Even now if it will help with these migraines I will continue to take it!!

You misunderstand my post. I was responding to what you said about the fact that you were surprised people didn't take it for weight loss. I was saying that I would rather be fat than to take this med for weight loss. As far as the migraine thing goes, I personally would absolutely look for other options.

You misunderstand my post. I was responding to what you said about the fact that you were surprised people didn't take it for weight loss. I was saying that I would rather be fat than to take this med for weight loss. As far as the migraine thing goes, I personally would absolutely look for other options.

I have tried 6 different migraine medications and nothing works. At my last appointment he said let's try something in preventing the migraines. At this point I am just desperate for some relief. But at 130 now, another 25 is not an option. Im hoping this is a side effect that will wear off. I just know "some" people do a lot of crazy things to lose weight and if they knew this medication was making people lose weight, im sure they would be begging their doctors to put them on it. I do miss the taste of food, but like I said at this point, im desperate!!

I have a relative that was put on that for Bi Polar disorder, she started having seizures and she ended up having a movement of her arm. she would have her arm on a arm rest and then all of the sudden her arm would go up in the air and back down.It happened every few minute daily . That is some dangerous stuff.

I have tried 6 different migraine medications and nothing works. At my last appointment he said let's try something in preventing the migraines. At this point I am just desperate for some relief. But at 130 now, another 25 is not an option. Im hoping this is a side effect that will wear off. I just know "some" people do a lot of crazy things to lose weight and if they knew this medication was making people lose weight, im sure they would be begging their doctors to put them on it. I do miss the taste of food, but like I said at this point, im desperate!!

I understand, I hope it works for you and you find some relief!

I have not had any of the other side effects, just the weird taste in food. Im on a low dosage but maybe that's why. If the migraines do not improve I will ask to switch to something else.

All medications have some form of side effects. If it will help these migraines I will try anything.

And I would rather not taste food than to have crippling headaches. Until you've had a migraine where you couldnt move, you wouldnt understand. I would rather be pain free than to enjoy food. So If I had to chose, give me the horrible taste in food anday over a migraine!!

Hopefully you have explored all other avenues such as birth control or estrogen replacement.

Food allergies, and of course chiropractic because neck injuries can cause them.

After saying that I don't blame you, I had 1 only 1. I hear people that are ambulatory and able to talk saying they have a migraine. When I had mine I could not do those things. I had to resist the urge to dig my right eye out of the socket and I am not kidding. It was so intense behind that eye I felt if I could just get to it I could stop it. And I would have done anything to stop it.

One of the strangest things for me was recovering, the pain is gone, but a shadow of it is left the nerves to my eyes, ears, nose and mouth felt very strange. When I took a drink of water I thought it was going to trigger it again. I was fragile and drained for days afterward.

I have a relative that was put on that for Bi Polar disorder, she started having seizures and she ended up having a movement of her arm. she would have her arm on a arm rest and then all of the sudden her arm would go up in the air and back down.It happened every few minute daily . That is some dangerous stuff.

Oh hell, i've been on it a month, so im hoping I am having all the side effects im going to have and that is the weird taste in food, and weight loss. That is the only problems im having. Im on the lowest dosage also. If anything gets really weird im going to ask to be taken off of it, but for now since it's just the weight loss, im going to stay the course!!

I take 100 mg x2 a day. The only thing it has changed for me is the taste of soda. Yes, I lost some weight of it. I think it was 16 pounds. I slept a lot also, and just didn't feel like eating.

Now if you want to talk about my neighbor, she lost over 65 pounds.

I take 100 mg x2 a day. The only thing it has changed for me is the taste of soda. Yes, I lost some weight of it. I think it was 16 pounds. I slept a lot also, and just didn't feel like eating.

Now if you want to talk about my neighbor, she lost over 65 pounds.

Oh yeahhh somebody that actually takes it!!!! So you didnt have the memory loss, word confusion, hallucinations hair loss/thinning, kidney stones, and other horror stories I have read about. I am only on 25 mg, and he will increase to 50 mg in another month. So I am hoping I want have any of the other bad side effects. I really didnt think I would have the loss in appetite the doctor said I would have, but sure enough after about the 3rd 4th day, I had no desire to eat. Food has a metallic taste and the first week I lost 10 lbs and for the whole month 25 lbs. I have to force myself to eat. I am on such a low dosage, I would hate to see what would happen if I was on a higher dosage. Now with the weight loss they are having to adjust my blood pressure medication because now it gets too low!! Oh by the way did it help with the migraines if that's what you're taking it for?

Edited by Candycane

I've taken it for more than 6 years for migraines. I went from having the migraines all the time to having one or two a year. I don't recall any taste changes. I did drop some weight in the beginning. You never know what you will take until your brain is pounding inside your skull for weeks at a time. Debilitating headaches are horrible. It might not be the right medicine for everyone. I works for me.

Oh yeahhh somebody that actually takes it!!!! So you didnt have the memory loss, word confusion, hallucinations hair loss/thinning, kidney stones, and other horror stories I have read about. I am only on 25 mg, and he will increase to 50 mg in another month. So I am hoping I want have any of the other bad side effects. I really didnt think I would have the loss in appetite the doctor said I would have, but sure enough after about the 3rd 4th day, I had no desire to eat. Food has a metallic taste and the first week I lost 10 lbs and for the whole month 25 lbs. I have to force myself to eat. I am on such a low dosage, I would hate to see what would happen if I was on a higher dosage. Now with the weight loss they are having to adjust my blood pressure medication because now it gets too low!! Oh by the way did it help with the migraines if that's what you're taking it for?

I don't have a metallic taste to any foods, just to soda. And yes to the memory loss and lord it sucks. Especially when you are talking and can't remember what you are talking about in midsentence. That is why sometimes when I'm posting on here, it doesn't make sense. Sometimes, I feel I make up my own words. LOL .....As for hallucinations, no, hair loss, no, thinning, no, kidney stones, no. I will say, it does help with your migrains like you wouldn't believe. The side effects will go away they are very mild, but the memory loss stays. I deal with it. You will notice a big difference before you take it. I get everything done in the morning before I have to take it. Oh, take it at the same time every day. I take it at 10 and then again at 8. It cause's drowsiness and two other meds I'm on also does, so I end up taking a 31/2 hour nap every day plus sleep all night.

If it doesn't work for you, have you tried acupuncture? I never believed in it until recently. My husband has been debilitated by severe headaches. We tried every medicine imaginable until he developed a VERY serious blood clot in his leg from Treximet. He started acupuncture treatments and despite being the world's largest cynic, they are TRULY working. It's amazing.

I have taken Topamax since April 2012. I was getting debilitating migraines 3-4 days every week. Mine were triggered by barometric pressure (which is 100% unavoidable!) and I would get headaches for days before rain would come. Another trigger was aspartame, which I removed from my diet. I started at 25mg and am now at 50mg. The only side effect is that anything carbonated tasted flat, which is no biggie to me b/c I might drink soft drinks 3-4 times per year! I've lost weight, but I was steadily losing before starting the meds. I am now 4lbs from my goal weight and THRILLED!!! I do get the tingling in my finger tips from time to time, but it isn't often and doesn't last longer than a few minutes. My hair has been falling out some, and I honestly didn't think of it as possibly being a side effect of the meds. That IS getting on my nerves b/c I do love my hair and would like it to stay in my head!!

My 8yr old also takes 15mg/night for her juvenile migraines. She wasn't just having headaches, but severe dizzy spells along with nausea and visual disturbances. Once they ruled hers out as migraines and put her on the lowest dose, they stopped! She missed a lot of school last year b/c of them and has improved greatly in school this year b/c she doesn't have the symptoms all the time

I definitely have to say that, for me, the topamax has been a life saver!! I feel like I can function and have a life again. It is not for every one, so do not take it if you don't feel comfortable doing so!

My son took Topamax for several years for epilepsy. He did lose a little weight and never mentioned in other side effects. However, he was hiking in North Georgia and had excrutiating pain and hiked to the road until he got a cell signal. I had to go pick him up off a lonely mountain road. When we got to the emergency room they discovered not one, not two, but twelve kidney stones. He had to have surgery and they quickly changed his seizure medicine. I know medications effect everyone differently and I wish you luck. Just wanted to share our experience.

If it doesn't work for you, have you tried acupuncture? I never believed in it until recently. My husband has been debilitated by severe headaches. We tried every medicine imaginable until he developed a VERY serious blood clot in his leg from Treximet. He started acupuncture treatments and despite being the world's largest cynic, they are TRULY working. It's amazing.

Where does he have the acupuncture done at?

I have taken Topamax since April 2012. I was getting debilitating migraines 3-4 days every week. Mine were triggered by barometric pressure (which is 100% unavoidable!) and I would get headaches for days before rain would come. Another trigger was aspartame, which I removed from my diet. I started at 25mg and am now at 50mg. The only side effect is that anything carbonated tasted flat, which is no biggie to me b/c I might drink soft drinks 3-4 times per year! I've lost weight, but I was steadily losing before starting the meds. I am now 4lbs from my goal weight and THRILLED!!! I do get the tingling in my finger tips from time to time, but it isn't often and doesn't last longer than a few minutes. My hair has been falling out some, and I honestly didn't think of it as possibly being a side effect of the meds. That IS getting on my nerves b/c I do love my hair and would like it to stay in my head!!

My 8yr old also takes 15mg/night for her juvenile migraines. She wasn't just having headaches, but severe dizzy spells along with nausea and visual disturbances. Once they ruled hers out as migraines and put her on the lowest dose, they stopped! She missed a lot of school last year b/c of them and has improved greatly in school this year b/c she doesn't have the symptoms all the time

I definitely have to say that, for me, the topamax has been a life saver!! I feel like I can function and have a life again. It is not for every one, so do not take it if you don't feel comfortable doing so!

Thank You for your response, mine is also triggered from barometric pressure and rain, it took a while before we connected the dots but it was actually a friend who connected it for me If it will help with my migraines I am going to stay on it, I am at a breaking point with these migraines. At this point I don't care about food or how it taste I just want to be pain free. I am actually enjoying my new physique, I have not been this slim since high school. But I really can't afford to lose another 25 pounds. I just have to remember to eat. I am with you though, if my hair starts falling out I will may have to look at other options. I love my long, thick hair. But so far no issues. I go weekly for shampoo and conditioning and treatment, and a friend told me to take a hair vitamin. Also no tingling. Im just having the wierd taste in food and like I said I can live with that.

Edited by Candycane

My son took Topamax for several years for epilepsy. He did lose a little weight and never mentioned in other side effects. However, he was hiking in North Georgia and had excrutiating pain and hiked to the road until he got a cell signal. I had to go pick him up off a lonely mountain road. When we got to the emergency room they discovered not one, not two, but twelve kidney stones. He had to have surgery and they quickly changed his seizure medicine. I know medications effect everyone differently and I wish you luck. Just wanted to share our experience.

See that is scary, I am drinking lots of water, but how much is enough? Glad he is okay now!!

I've been on topamax for a few months now, and have lost about 20 lbs. The food and soda tasting funny side effect has subsided for me, so hopefully for you it won't be permanent. I do have some tingling in my feet every once in a while, but it doesn't last for long, and it's not very bothersome. I also sometimes can't think of a word that I want to say, or randomly say a word that I didn't mean to say when talking (this is very rare, and hasn't happened in a while, it happened more when I first started taking the medicine). I continue to take it because I can live with the side effects better than I could having a migraine almost every single day. I still get them, but no where near the intensity or frequency as before.

This thread reminds me of the big pharma commercials where they tell you to ask your doctor if (insert drug name) is right for you. When they go into the list of common side effects that include things like tuberculosis and death, I think "holy cow, I'd rather have arthritis or dry eyes or whatever." Never had migraines but they must be pretty bad if you're willing to put up with memory loss and numbness in your extremities for some relief. God bless ya.

Candycane, I hope you can continue to take this without any more side effects.

I had terrible migraines back in the early nineties that would send me to bed in a dark, noise free room. Mine would also make me nauseous. They are truly dibilitating. I think mine only lasted like 6 months maybe a little longer. I just know I was glad when they were gone.

I'm thinking maybe you should get some kind of supplemental drink like Boost. You're right, you don't want to lose any more weight and you need to keep nutrients and protein in you. Also, maybe you could make high protein shakes to drink. And drink lots of water.

Good luck!

Where does he have the acupuncture done at?

Kennesaw Acupuncture, on the corner of Old Hwy 41 and Stanley Rd. She's pricey but worth it to help give him some relief from the pain. If you google the name, she has a website. Not sure if I can post a live link here or not.

Edited by justgettingby

Candycane, I hope you can continue to take this without any more side effects.

I had terrible migraines back in the early nineties that would send me to bed in a dark, noise free room. Mine would also make me nauseous. They are truly dibilitating. I think mine only lasted like 6 months maybe a little longer. I just know I was glad when they were gone.

I'm thinking maybe you should get some kind of supplemental drink like Boost. You're right, you don't want to lose any more weight and you need to keep nutrients and protein in you. Also, maybe you could make high protein shakes to drink. And drink lots of water.

Good luck!

Thank You for the suggestion of the boost and the shakes. I have had a taste for something fruity, so I may do some fruit smoothies. Thanks!!

Can I just have the weight loss side effect?

When I left a job that was causing me a lot of stress, my migraines became a lot less.

I am happy to know there is something on the market to help with them.

I was taking Topomax when they suspected I might be having mini-strokes.

I never saw the weight loss benefit, but taking Topomax did affect my job performance (I was a consultant) as I found it difficult at times to put together a coherent sentence.

Thank You for the suggestion of the boost and the shakes. I have had a taste for something fruity, so I may do some fruit smoothies. Thanks!!

You are so funny!!! I had a smoothie crazy for about 2 months!!!

You are so funny!!! I had a smoothie crazy for about 2 months!!!

Yep, even though it's a little chilly, bout to whip that blender out. Wanna smoothie soooooo bad,

Please be very careful with Topamax. I almost died from taking it.

More information please.

I'll be on it a year in the summer.

Please be very careful with Topamax. I almost died from taking it.

Oh My!! What happened if you don't mind sharing? Or if you could pm me please!!! Thanks!

I had a very bad reaction to it. Send me to the emergency room via ambulance. I had serve tingling in my hands and feet, couldn't even put a sentence together much less try to work. Then, when I was taken off it I had horrible withdrawals. I was only on it a little over 2 months and NEVER will take it again. Just be very careful! If it wasn't for my family watching me like a hawk, I may not have made it through the withdrawals.

I take Topamax, Celexa, and Neurontin. I also get Botox every 3 mos for my migraines.

You will only lose weight for a little while and then it will level out. I do experience the tingling in hands and my lips also feel tingly sometimes but I can deal with that over having a migraine.

My migraines have made me have a mini stroke, memory loss, passed out and paramedics couldn't wake me.

I would rather take the Topamax than deal with that again. :nea:

I just wanted to put this out there for women of child bearing age.

TOPAMAX:

March 4, 2011 - FDA Drug Safety Communication: TOPAMAX® (topiramate) use during pregnancy can cause fetal harm, including an increased risk for cleft lip and/or cleft palate. For information from the company click here. The FDA announcement can be found at www.fda.gov.

And keep in mind you can't just suddenly stop taking Topamax. There are serious withdrawals and your dosage must be reduced gradually.

I just wanted to put this out there for women of child bearing age.

TOPAMAX:

March 4, 2011 - FDA Drug Safety Communication: TOPAMAX® (topiramate) use during pregnancy can cause fetal harm, including an increased risk for cleft lip and/or cleft palate. For information from the company click here. The FDA announcement can be found at www.fda.gov.

And keep in mind you can't just suddenly stop taking Topamax. There are serious withdrawals and your dosage must be reduced gradually.

Oh Wow, these drugs are something serious!! My baby having days are over, but still this still has to be some powerful stuff. I researched this medicine before I started taking it and it took me a couple of days to actually start taking it because I was scared to death. I just pray that it will not cause any serious harm and will help these migraines!!

You do know Topamax was developed to treat epilepsy.

I took a medication a couple of years ago called Gabapentin, which was also developed to treat epilepsy.

There is research being done now to see if Gabapentin will help with migraines, but it still comes with some serious side effects.

I used it for nerve pain in my neck and shoulder. My pain was bad, like a red hot poker stuck into my left shoulder.

I took it for about 2-3 months, and it did help with the pain. The pain was not gone, but it was bearable.

I knew about the side effects, almost as bad as Topamax.

I got up one morning and I couldn't see clearly out of my left eye. It was like I was looking through a cloud. I still have a cloudy spot on my left eye.

I stopped. Just like that, I said that's enough. Well, I went through about 4 days of withdrawals with anxiety, sweating and unable to sleep.

I told myself I would find another way to deal with the pain.

Thankfully, after 2 years the pain is mostly gone, unless I get stressed, I can feel it begin to pinch and burn. That's when I put my heating pad on it and try to relax.

I really wish there was no such thing as migraines, because I've had them and know how awful they are.

Just be careful with this medication and always keep the side affects in the back of your mind.

I also took Neurontin (Gabapentin). My husband was deployed for a year and Neurontin made me a looney toon. I would forget to go to work, cry for no reason, and I would even forget that I talked to my husband when he called. The last straw was when I had a ten minute conversation with my husband. And half an hour later I called him and was angry with him because he hadn't called me. WTF? A few years later I started seeing all the class action lawsuits and was grateful that I never experienced WORSE side effects.

My DH refused the Neurontin for his migraines because of what he saw me go through. Some scary stuff.