14 replies to this topic

#1 Martinez Voice

Martinez Voice

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

!Hola mi amigos! I have been using an arc welder (you sometime call it a stick welder) for some time, but I like the versatility of maybe using an oxy/fuel torch for different projects...since they can cut and braze and solder. I had been looking at oxy/acetylene torch sets but I do not have that kind of money. I came across an oxy/Map-pro set that uses disposable tanks for fifty dollars (much less than oxy/ace set) and since I am not doing anything heavy duty, or very often I thought this may be a good way to go. I have some cast iron patio chairs I need to fix and I wonder if the oxy/MAP-pro set would be good for this and other around the house light work projects?

#2 icare

icare

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

!Hola mi amigos! I have been using an arc welder (you sometime call it a stick welder) for some time, but I like the versatility of maybe using an oxy/fuel torch for different projects...since they can cut and braze and solder. I had been looking at oxy/acetylene torch sets but I do not have that kind of money. I came across an oxy/Map-pro set that uses disposable tanks for fifty dollars (much less than oxy/ace set) and since I am not doing anything heavy duty, or very often I thought this may be a good way to go. I have some cast iron patio chairs I need to fix and I wonder if the oxy/MAP-pro set would be good for this and other around the house light work projects?

My husband is a welder and says that a lot of old timers will not use anything but oxy/acytelene. However, my husband and his co-worker will only use the MAP gas. He says the only difference is it burns much cleaner and hotter. He loves it. He says you will come out good using that set and you can weld anything with it that you would use the acytelene for. Hope this helps!

#3 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

You might want to experiment before her trying your stick unit on cast iron.....it may puddle on you. It has a very low melting point compared to hot rolled, cold rolled, or other black iron metals.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#4 Martinez Voice

Martinez Voice

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

You might want to experiment before her trying your stick unit on cast iron.....it may puddle on you. It has a very low melting point compared to hot rolled, cold rolled, or other black iron metals.

Si, this is why I ask about the oxy/Map-pro as I know I cannot use my arc welder.

#5 Guard Dad

Guard Dad

The Propaganda Buster

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

The Oxy/MAPP (two P's) torches don't put out a whole lot of heat and they will suck the bottles dry quickly. They are only good for light welding. MAPP burns hotter than propane but not as hot as acetylene.

Cast iron is not easy to weld. Probably the best way is with a TIG welder, but those babies are expensive.

"The belief is that the political incorrectness involved in the discussion will destroy the community" - posted by pubby on 10-22-16

No, pubby; the only thing free speech will destroy are lies. - Guard Dad

#6 Martinez Voice

Martinez Voice

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

My husband is a welder and says that a lot of old timers will not use anything but oxy/acytelene. However, my husband and his co-worker will only use the MAP gas. He says the only difference is it burns much cleaner and hotter. He loves it. He says you will come out good using that set and you can weld anything with it that you would use the acytelene for. Hope this helps!

Ah, gracias Senora! Could you ask him what kind of braze rod one would use on thin cast iron? You see the back of the seat of the chair has come seperate from the frame and I wish to weld or braze it back on. It need not be pretty, just good for sitting.

#7 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

There is a nickel rod that works pretty decent on cast iron but it is not for beginners. The guys at the fab shop I use are some of the best around and they were hesitant about doing an old bell for me. They did a great job on it.
Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

#8 Martinez Voice

Martinez Voice

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

The Oxy/MAPP (two P's) torches don't put out a whole lot of heat and they will suck the bottles dry quickly. They are only good for light welding. MAPP burns hotter than propane but not as hot as acetylene.

Cast iron is not easy to weld. Probably the best way is with a TIG welder, but those babies are expensive.

Si amigo, I cannot get the TIG or MIG as they cost much, and a wire flux is almost same as arc weld. The MAP-Pro I think is not exactly the same as MAPP. I think is similar but not same. I thought they stopped making MAPP. I would not use regular MAPP as too much hydrogen get into the weld, I read that MAP-Pro burns cleaner.

#9 icare

icare

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

My hubby agrees with the fact that it may suck the bottle dry quickly but what do you expect for $50? He does not agree with the fact that MAPP does not burn as hot as acytelene. He uses it day in and day out on heavy equipment and says it absolutely burns hotter than acytelene. That's his two cents worth....take it or leave it. Good luck!

#10 Guard Dad

Guard Dad

The Propaganda Buster

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

There is a nickel rod that works pretty decent on cast iron but it is not for beginners. The guys at the fab shop I use are some of the best around and they were hesitant about doing an old bell for me. They did a great job on it.

Nickle or bronze should work. I would try brazing instead of welding; cast iron does not like to be liquified.

Note: Welding involves melting of the base metal whereas brazing only melts the filler metal.

"The belief is that the political incorrectness involved in the discussion will destroy the community" - posted by pubby on 10-22-16

#11 Guard Dad

Guard Dad

The Propaganda Buster

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

My hubby agrees with the fact that it may suck the bottle dry quickly but what do you expect for $50? He does not agree with the fact that MAPP does not burn as hot as acytelene. He uses it day in and day out on heavy equipment and says it absolutely burns hotter than acytelene. That's his two cents worth....take it or leave it. Good luck!

http://www.kgbanswer...welding/4673146

Sorry, he is mistaken.

But the big thing is the lack of volume of the low pressure MAPP bottle compared to the acetylene tank. The acetylene is capable of far more BTU due to the much higher volume of gas it can deliver. An acetylene torch will produce far more total BTU's and a hotter flame than MAPP, with or without oxygen.

#12 icare

icare

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hubby thinks brazing will not hold......advises using nickel and to weld it. Last comment from me....it looks like you are getting plenty of other advice. Again, good luck!

#13 Martinez Voice

Martinez Voice

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

http://www.kgbanswer...welding/4673146

Sorry, he is mistaken.

But the big thing is the lack of volume of the low pressure MAPP bottle compared to the acetylene tank. The acetylene is capable of far more BTU due to the much higher volume of gas it can deliver. An acetylene torch will produce far more total BTU's and a hotter flame than MAPP, with or without oxygen.

Si si, this I know, But again It is just for light welding, brazing, soldering, and cutting. would it do these things adequately as I cannot afford the expensive o/a or MIG/TIG welders. I like it for all the things it can do compared to my 80 Amp arc welder.

Hubby thinks brazing will not hold......advises using nickel and to weld it. Last comment from me....it looks like you are getting plenty of other advice. Again, good luck!

What kind of flux does he reccomend?

#14 Nitro

Nitro

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

If the set you are looking at is the Bernz set... don't waste your money.
The size rod it gets hot enough to melt is hair thin...and you'll use 100 rods to braze a pin hole.

Second, you can't just "weld" cast iron.

The cast iron has to be already hot to take a weld.
You either have to heat it with a big oxy/acetylene torch or you have to heat it in an oven.
Cast iron is tricky to weld.

#15 Martinez Voice

Martinez Voice

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

If the set you are looking at is the Bernz set... don't waste your money.
The size rod it gets hot enough to melt is hair thin...and you'll use 100 rods to braze a pin hole.

Second, you can't just "weld" cast iron.

The cast iron has to be already hot to take a weld.
You either have to heat it with a big oxy/acetylene torch or you have to heat it in an oven.
Cast iron is tricky to weld.

I got set this afternoon. It worked perfect! Braze welded the chair. I do not think it would be good for long time projects, but for basic around the house stuff it is good though for welding it is more work than my arc welder, but It works on iron good.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics