31 replies to this topic

#1 Nemie

Nemie

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

I am looking for a good recipe for old fashion (grandma's) Southern Cornbread. The kind that for those of us 45 & older, Mom would make almost nightly when young, the kind that Grandma made when you were growing up as well. The good brown crispy bottom/side, done in a true iron skillet in the oven.

Not the kind from any box or mix, nor any receipt that taste like the mixes, those then to be more cake like or to sweet, or more like a sweet muffin, or they tend to fall apart/crumbles really bad..... I am wanting that good old old fashioned true southern style kind.

I have 2 or 3 recipes that I have tried but none seem to be just like my mom's was when I was child growing up, when we would have it just about every night with supper.

Anyone have a good recipe, would you be so kind as to share. I will try different ones and compare all the recipes to what I have.

Thanks so much. I wish my mom had written her recipe down, but she did it all from memory. I told her once to go slow and measure and write it down, but she never got the chance to do so.

Thanks again!

Posted Image

#2 babyblues

babyblues

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

I would give you my moms recipe if she had one. I have watched and made it myself several times but there is no measuring anything. Self rising corn meal, almost as much flour as corn meal, couple of eggs, buttermilk. Put some oil in iron skillet and let heat up, mix everything in bowl and add the extra warm oil from your skillet and stir. Sit aside for a few minutes, this lets it start to rise, stir again, then pour into the skillet. Cook on 350 until golden brown. Like I said nothing is measured you just kind of eye ball it. This is the way my mama and my mom taught me how to make it, this is also the base to my moms dressing for Christmas. Take care and good luck.

#3 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Aunt Jemima is pretty damn good for cornmeal mix, and produces the results you describe, but I don't know if you can get it over there. Just use the recipe on the bag. It is ground corn, with some flour and baking powder mixed in.

Another one we have been using is the Mexican Masa, which is a pure cornmeal with nothing else in it. You add the leavening and salt and sugar if you want. Plus eggs, BUTTERMILD and fat.

To get the crust you describe is a matter of getting the cast iron skilled HOT in the oven with the fat in it, pouring most of the fat into the batter and quickly mix it and pour back into the sizzling skillet, and then bake. The only thing with the Masa is the finished cornbread can be a bit crumbly when you slice it in half to slather it with butter.

I would guess the Masa might be easier to find than Aunt Jemima.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#4 retiredteacher

retiredteacher

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Nemie, White Lily white cornmeal mix, NO sugar, eggs (1 or 2 dep on how much you're making), buttermilk, bacon grease.

Grandmother would heat bacon grease in the cast iron skillet. Mix together cornmeal, eggs and buttermilk until it is the consistency that can be poured in the skillet. Swirl the grease in the skillet to cover the surface and then put abt 2 tablespoons in the mix and stir.

Pour into skillet and cook on top of stove until the bottom starts to brown, you'll have to look. Put Skillet in oven to finish or slide out onto plate, place skillet over top and flip over to finish on top of stove. I do the latter. I also don't know how long to bake in oven! GM eyeballed it, I'm sure! :drinks:

RIP sweet Ashton. We will never forget you.

#5 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

First and most importantly you have got to have an iron skillet.

I use a small 8 inch skillet. 1 cup of self rising corn meal, 1/4 cup of oil (canola, safflower or Crisco), 1 egg and enough buttermilk to make the batter pourable.

Bake at 400 to 425 for 20 to 25 minutes.

Tips:

Pour the oil in the skillet first and roll it around until it is coated then add it to the batter.

Once all the ingredients are mixed, put the skillet on the stove top and heat it. Pout the batter into the hot grease and let it cook on until it starts to bubble. This will give you a thicker, crunchier crust.

Nemie, White Lily white cornmeal mix, NO sugar, eggs (1 or 2 dep on how much you're making), buttermilk, bacon grease.

Grandmother would heat bacon grease in the cast iron skillet. Mix together cornmeal, eggs and buttermilk until it is the consistency that can be poured in the skillet. Swirl the grease in the skillet to cover the surface and then put abt 2 tablespoons in the mix and stir.

Pour into skillet and cook on top of stove until the bottom starts to brown, you'll have to look. Put Skillet in oven to finish or slide out onto plate, place skillet over top and flip over to finish on top of stove. I do the latter. I also don't know how long to bake in oven! GM eyeballed it, I'm sure! :drinks:

^^^This sounds better than the one I gave you. My cardiologist prefers the canola. My taste buds prefer the bacon grease.
Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

#6 GO*BAMA

GO*BAMA

In War, Everday is Memorial Day! SEMPER FI!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

1 1/2 cups self rising cornmeal, 3/4 cup self rising flour, 2 eggs, about 2 tsp of oil and enough buttermilk to make the batter pourable. Rub crisco (or cooking oil) on the bottom and sides of your cast iron skillet and put in the oven to get warm while mixing the batter, once the batter is mixed and the skillet is warm, pour batter into skillet and cook until done.
What we see when watching others depends on the purity of the window through which we look.
Sometimes love has to drive a nail into it's on hand!

Posted Image Posted Image In honor of my cuz who's serving in Iraq! [size=1][color="#4169E1"]

#7 Nemie

Nemie

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Great yall, thanks so much.

Yep I got the iron skillet, Yep I have tried all the mixes mentioned but non are just like moms was, close in coms cases however. I currently have couple of the Aunt J's mixes mention above, and have used some in the past also.

I have also used the mexican masa cornmeal as well. Right now I have quaker cornmeal to use.

All of these items mentioned, mixes that is, can be obtained here, but are very pricey, but when you gotta have it, you pay the price, and so I do.

One thing that hit me while reading the post is I havent been using buttermild, only used regular whole white milk. I am not sure if I can even get buttermilk here, but will begin my search for it tomorrow and try that in the recipe I have, and I will be comparing recipes above to mine.

Yall have been great..... as usual! Thanks again.

Posted Image

#8 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

My grandmother in south Georgia made what she called cornbread on top of the stove in an iron skillet with no sides she called a spider. The corn bread closely resembled a flour tortilla but it had a completely different taste. I would pay $20 for a couple of these and a pot of fresh peas from the garden.

#9 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

I am looking for a good recipe for old fashion (grandma's) Southern Cornbread. The kind that for those of us 45 & older, Mom would make almost nightly when young, the kind that Grandma made when you were growing up as well. The good brown crispy bottom/side, done in a true iron skillet in the oven.

Not the kind from any box or mix, nor any receipt that taste like the mixes, those then to be more cake like or to sweet, or more like a sweet muffin, or they tend to fall apart/crumbles really bad..... I am wanting that good old old fashioned true southern style kind.

I have 2 or 3 recipes that I have tried but none seem to be just like my mom's was when I was child growing up, when we would have it just about every night with supper.

Anyone have a good recipe, would you be so kind as to share. I will try different ones and compare all the recipes to what I have.

Thanks so much. I wish my mom had written her recipe down, but she did it all from memory. I told her once to go slow and measure and write it down, but she never got the chance to do so.

Thanks again!

2 cups self rising corn meal
2 eggs
3-4 tbs melted bacon grease
buttermilk, enough to make batter like cake mix consistency

Mix all ingredients, put in muffin tins or grease an iron skillet very well and bake on 400 until golden.

And if you want to be really decadent, put butter and cheddar cheese on it when it comes out of the oven. Good gracious, we can make a meal out of that at our house.

#10 KRM

KRM

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Preheat your oven to 475. While oven is preheating- put your cast iron skillet in so it can get hot. Melt a stick of butter. 1 cup to 2 cups- depending on how big your skillet is... Self Rising Corn Meal, 1 to 2 eggs and milk. Beat the egg then dump the Corn Meal in the bowl. Once Oven is preheated pour about 1/2 the butter in the pan and dump the rest into the meal, egg mixture. Add milk and stir til you get a cake like consistency. Pour into skillet and put into oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

I make great corn bread. I have never added flour nor have I allowed sugar to be added.

Hush up, you Stalker!!

#11 librarygirl

librarygirl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Everyone please put all your recipes for cornbread in the New Georgia Library Cookbook! Go to www.typensave.com. Username is: New Georgia Library. Password: pudding178.

#12 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Everyone please put all your recipes for cornbread in the New Georgia Library Cookbook! Go to www.typensave.com. Username is: New Georgia Library. Password: pudding178.

Cornbread is not my specialty. Coffee rubbed rib eyes, cedar plank salmon, beef brisket, smoked pork shoulder and jerk chicken are my go to recipes.

#13 ~S~

~S~

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

You can always make your own buttermilk if you can't find any.
"It's your ability to inspire and uplift other people that matters, not your ability to outdo them." ~author unknown

#14 Riograce

Riograce

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

... One thing that hit me while reading the post is I havent been using buttermilk, only used regular whole white milk. I am not sure if I can even get buttermilk here, but will begin my search for it tomorrow and try that in the recipe I have, and I will be comparing recipes above to mine.

You've *got* to have buttermilk in your cornbread if you want it to approach your Southern mother's. Here's a link on how to 'make' buttermilk if you can't find it over there:

http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/578336

I don't know how much like real buttermilk it will be, but the vinegar will help give it that slight tang that regular milk is missing.

#15 Mrs. C

Mrs. C

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Here's the lazy way:

Put a stick of margarine in your iron skillet and put into the oven, about 450 degrees

Slightly beat an egg in mixing bowl, add about 1-1/2 or 2 cups self rising corn meal, and enough milk (I always use sweet whole milk) and stir til pourable. When the margarine has melted, pour the corn meal mixture right into the hot pan (don't stir it!) and bake for 18-23 minutes or until nicely browned on top. You'll get that crispy brown bottom you're looking for.

To me buttermilk makes a sour taste, which may be what you're looking for. If buttermilk is not available, simply stir a teaspoon of lemon juice per cup of sweet milk, let it stand about 5 minutes and you have buttermilk!

You just have to try different amounts of corn meal and milk (I never measure, just depends on how much cornbread I'm want to make).

Now I want cornbread and beans! :wub:

#16 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

It is possible your grandmother was using a raw ground cornmeal with nothing added, or that she added some wheat flour to it, along with the salt, baking powder, or soda, etc. My experience with stone ground cornmeal is not good though. It is HARD to get it right proportionally to get a rise out of it.

The Masa is great for that, and has 2 eggs with the buttermilk. Very rich.

You should be able to get Buttermilk, but the Brits may have another name for it.

Bon Apetite!Posted Image
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#17 GO*BAMA

GO*BAMA

In War, Everday is Memorial Day! SEMPER FI!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Cornbread is not my specialty. Coffee rubbed rib eyes, cedar plank salmon, beef brisket, smoked pork shoulder and jerk chicken are my go to recipes.

Regular or Decaf? :blush: That does sound awesome though! Coffee and ribs - yum!
What we see when watching others depends on the purity of the window through which we look.
Sometimes love has to drive a nail into it's on hand!

Posted Image Posted Image In honor of my cuz who's serving in Iraq! [size=1][color="#4169E1"]

#18 GACat

GACat

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

Okay, now that y'all got that Cornbread thing figured out, how about another old Southern recipe?

My late mother & grandmothers used to make the best chocolate icing...the kind that you almost poured on the cake, and it would harden almost like a thin layer of fudge candy. I used to break it off in chunks and eat it, then eat the cake (yellow, of course.) I don't have a written recipe anymore, but I remember it was cocoa powder, milk, sugar boiled in a large heavy saucepan. Sheer heaven and I can't find a recipe for it anywhere.

The minute you create victims is the minute you no longer get to call yourself one.

#19 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Okay, now that y'all got that Cornbread thing figured out, how about another old Southern recipe?

My late mother & grandmothers used to make the best chocolate icing...the kind that you almost poured on the cake, and it would harden almost like a thin layer of fudge candy. I used to break it off in chunks and eat it, then eat the cake (yellow, of course.) I don't have a written recipe anymore, but I remember it was cocoa powder, milk, sugar boiled in a large heavy saucepan. Sheer heaven and I can't find a recipe for it anywhere.

My wife and daughter can make it. I'll try to remember to get her to PM you the recipe. It is that grainy chocolate.

#20 Mrs. C

Mrs. C

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

I bake a yellow cake (9x13 pan), cut into squares while it's still hot and use this Chocolate Icing:

1 stick butter (margarine)
2 Cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cocoa

Melt butter in heavy saucepan, add milk, sugar and cocoa. Whisk together and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Pour over cake while hot. Let this cool and it's awesome!!

#21 GACat

GACat

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

I bake a yellow cake (9x13 pan), cut into squares while it's still hot and use this Chocolate Icing:

2 Cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cocoa

Melt butter in heavy saucepan, add milk, sugar and cocoa. Whisk together and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Pour over cake while hot. Let this cool and it's awesome!!

That sounds about right, from what I remember. Once Mama & I were making it, got to running our mouths talking, turned around and almost had ourselves a chocolate volcano on the stove. You gotta be watching this stuff closely :lol: THE BEST chocolate icing in the world, I'd rather have it than anything. Too dang hot to lick the spoon though :lol:

The minute you create victims is the minute you no longer get to call yourself one.

#22 retiredteacher

retiredteacher

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

My grandmother in south Georgia made what she called cornbread on top of the stove in an iron skillet with no sides she called a spider. The corn bread closely resembled a flour tortilla but it had a completely different taste. I would pay $20 for a couple of these and a pot of fresh peas from the garden.

Those are "hoecakes" and that's what I usually make for myself. Good and crispy. Paula Deen is famous for them. Sharecroppers would clean off the hoes that they used in the fields, and hold the flat part over a fire to cook the cornmeal mixture for lunch.

RIP sweet Ashton. We will never forget you.

#23 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,326 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

I'm with retired teacher on this.

You gotta have buttermilk and I always use bacon grease in the cornmeal and the iron skillet. The trick to a crusty bottom is getting the skillet hot. And you want the consistency of the mix thin and pourable.

And I never use anything except White Lily. It's the best.

#24 mei lan

mei lan

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-buttermilk-recipe/index.html

You can always make your own buttermilk if you can't find any.

My thought as well. And it's WAY YONDER better than that icky stuff sold in the stores.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

#25 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

I'm with retired teacher on this.

You gotta have buttermilk and I always use bacon grease in the cornmeal and the iron skillet. The trick to a crusty bottom is getting the skillet hot. And you want the consistency of the mix thin and pourable.

And I never use anything except White Lily. It's the best.

Pork fat rules, to quote Emeril.....but Goose and Duck fat do Sooooooo much better. I use bacon drippings if I am out of rendered goose/duck fat though.

I make creme fresche from a quart of whipping cream and 3 tbspns of buttermilk, but have never made "buttermilk". Creme freshce is like sour cream, but not sour. Same consistancey, and a really rich creamy flavor. Goes much better with Mexican and Medittereanean foods. I get the plain old fashion high fat buttermilk that has the innoculants. I generally ignore the date on the jug, and cook with it for months after the expiration....unitl it gets smelly or too lumpy. It is really just the fat and innoculants you want for cooking.

Drinking it would be a different story though.

#26 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Those are "hoecakes" and that's what I usually make for myself. Good and crispy. Paula Deen is famous for them. Sharecroppers would clean off the hoes that they used in the fields, and hold the flat part over a fire to cook the cornmeal mixture for lunch.

Not where I come from. A hoe cake was a large biscuit. These were made from corn meal.

#27 Nemie

Nemie

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

2 cups self rising corn meal
2 eggs
3-4 tbs melted bacon grease
buttermilk, enough to make batter like cake mix consistency

Mix all ingredients, put in muffin tins or grease an iron skillet very well and bake on 400 until golden.

And if you want to be really decadent, put butter and cheddar cheese on it when it comes out of the oven. Good gracious, we can make a meal out of that at our house.

MMMMMMMMMMM that sounds like it would smell heavenly. Thanks

You've *got* to have buttermilk in your cornbread if you want it to approach your Southern mother's. Here's a link on how to 'make' buttermilk if you can't find it over there:

http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/578336

I don't know how much like real buttermilk it will be, but the vinegar will help give it that slight tang that regular milk is missing.

OMG THANK YOU so very much. I am going to go out today and try to find buttermilk, but if I dont I will still be all right THANKS TO YOU. awesome!

Posted Image

#28 Nemie

Nemie

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

2 Cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cocoa

Sounds yummy. I have never seen a cake with the icing like you have described above. I bet it is just as pretty as tasteful/yummy. Thanks, going to put this in my recipe book for sure and give it a try.

Posted Image

#29 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

The corn meal today is ground much finer than that our grandparents used. See if you can find some medium ground corn meal and use about 1/4 cup added to the mix you can buy (1 3/4 cup of mix and 1/4 cup or medium ground corn meal=2 cups). I've done this over the last few years and it makes a huge difference. I buy the buttermilk cornbread mix as well and use buttermilk or substitute.

Getting the iron skillet hot is indeed the secret to having that crunchy bottom.

Edited by tundra, 18 December 2012 - 07:02 AM.

Bring on the jobs, bring on the business leave the commercial flights at Hartsfield.

I OPPOSE COMMERCIAL AIR SERVICE. Protect Paulding County 

#30 lawlady

lawlady

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Great yall, thanks so much.

Yep I got the iron skillet, Yep I have tried all the mixes mentioned but non are just like moms was, close in coms cases however. I currently have couple of the Aunt J's mixes mention above, and have used some in the past also.

I have also used the mexican masa cornmeal as well. Right now I have quaker cornmeal to use.

All of these items mentioned, mixes that is, can be obtained here, but are very pricey, but when you gotta have it, you pay the price, and so I do.

One thing that hit me while reading the post is I havent been using buttermild, only used regular whole white milk. I am not sure if I can even get buttermilk here, but will begin my search for it tomorrow and try that in the recipe I have, and I will be comparing recipes above to mine.

Yall have been great..... as usual! Thanks again.

You can make buttermilk with milk and white vinegar. One cup milk and one half tablespoon vinegar. Let it set for about 10 minutes and you will have buttermilk.

#31 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

Mine did too!

Preheat your oven to 475. While oven is preheating- put your cast iron skillet in so it can get hot. Melt a stick of butter. 1 cup to 2 cups- depending on how big your skillet is... Self Rising Corn Meal, 1 to 2 eggs and milk. Beat the egg then dump the Corn Meal in the bowl. Once Oven is preheated pour about 1/2 the butter in the pan and dump the rest into the meal, egg mixture. Add milk and stir til you get a cake like consistency. Pour into skillet and put into oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

I make great corn bread. I have never added flour nor have I allowed sugar to be added.

never!!

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#32 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

The corn meal today is ground much finer than that our grandparents used. See if you can find some medium ground corn meal and use about 1/4 cup added to the mix you can buy (1 3/4 cup of mix and 1/4 cup or medium ground corn meal=2 cups). I've done this over the last few years and it makes a huge difference. I buy the buttermilk cornbread mix as well and use buttermilk or substitute.

Getting the iron skillet hot is indeed the secret to having that crunchy bottom.

You can get it at some stores, or a grist mill still using stones for gringing. There are fewer and fewer operating every year though. Mills today are steel roller mills where they cannot get a coarse grind like the stones provide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics