• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

I love the stories about first timers cooking the giblets in the bird.
Share your first time cooking a holiday meal.

Of course my sister in law that told her mother that she did not need to learn to cook because she was going to collage and hire someone to do it.

She has been the only cook I have ever known that people actually get sick after eating her food.
she is a sweetheart and a great mom but a cook she is not!

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#2 spucketts

spucketts

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

My older sister cooked the giblets in her first bird.

My first was interesting, first Thanksgiving in GA, first bird in my first apartment. The girl downstairs caught her stove top on fire which got the wall burning which filled my unit with smoke. I had an apartment full of friends, family, firemen.....

#3 Dana

Dana

PEACE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Guilty of cooking the giblets inside my first bird a few years ago! LOL

There but for the grace of God, go I.

#4 MissSophie

MissSophie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I grew up helping my mom make Thanksgiving dinner; I started very young helping. And I always sat up with her the night before even when there was nothing left for me to do. I have to say my turkeys have always been pretty darn good.

But my stuffing seldom meets her standards.

My daughters are both great holiday cooks. One stays with our family tradition; the other branches out with more modern methods; both are delicious.

#5 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

I grew up helping my mom make Thanksgiving dinner; I started very young helping. And I always sat up with her the night before even when there was nothing left for me to do. I have to say my turkeys have always been pretty darn good.

My daughters are both great holiday cooks. One stays with our family tradition; the other branches out with more modern methods; both are delicious.

I also grew up in the kitchen, so there are very few mysteries to me. My mom was an excellent baker and candy maker, she loved sweets.

I don't bake from scratch if I can help it. I was so proud of my youngest daughter that made strudel the old world way perfectly the first time, I bow down to her for that one.

I am not as fond of my mother's stuffing as I am my own, I definitely liked the sage flavor from browning the celery and onions with the sausage, back home my sister makes it with the strong sage like mother did.

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#6 Dana

Dana

PEACE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

What great memories you and your mom must have made. :wub:

#7 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Smart enoungh to never attempt to cook my own Thanksgiving. That's what Honey Baked Ham Co. is for.

Posted Image
"If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go....if they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, then send me to hell or Salt Lake City it would be about the same to me." - Uncle Kracker

#8 Dana

Dana

PEACE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Smart enoungh to never attempt to cook my own Thanksgiving. That's what Honey Baked Ham Co. is for.

Hey, I like your way of thinking!

#9 weezerd

weezerd

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Even being a guy, I grew up helping in the kitchen, around my house it was 'help or you dont eat', I like to eat. Never had a problem baking a bird, however, the first time I ever tried to deep fry a turkey, we wound up overflowing the grease onto the fire and creating the first annual Thanksgiving bonfire. That was the first year in our new house, met ALL of the neighbors we hadnt gotten around to yet, met some nice firemen.

PS even after it went flambe the turkey was pretty darn good.

#10 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Even being a guy, I grew up helping in the kitchen, around my house it was 'help or you dont eat', I like to eat. Never had a problem baking a bird, however, the first time I ever tried to deep fry a turkey, we wound up overflowing the grease onto the fire and creating the first annual Thanksgiving bonfire. That was the first year in our new house, met ALL of the neighbors we hadnt gotten around to yet, met some nice firemen.

Now that is funny!!!

El Zorro

#11 MissSophie

MissSophie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

I have no doubt we will hear the sirens on Thursday. They say every year there is a problem with the oil and a fire. So glad your turkey survived and no doubt your neighbors will offer to help with the turkey this year to save their own homes. :)

What great memories you and your mom must have made. :wub:

Yes, I do. And I wish she were here to make more memories. When one of my daughter hinted I should modernize my menu, I told her this was my mother's favorite holiday and when I cook, it is like I am honoring her in a small way.

#12 bh67

bh67

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Girlfriend is gone to her parents, my kids will be with their Mom's family visiting from Florida. I am doing cereal and a nice work free relaxing day!
We only have one life, so live it to the fullest!

#13 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

I miss my Mom's giblet gravy ! Posted Image

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#14 KRM

KRM

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I've been helping Mama since I could stand. She taught me so many things and her dressing was one of them. No recipe but I finally, after 8 years of being without her, can do a pretty close comparison. My Dad comes for Christmas because he says I cook like Mama. :wub: We grew up on fresh everything. Homemade biscuits, meringue (no cool whip), sweet tea... just fresh. I miss that.
  • CitizenCain likes this

Hush up, you Stalker!!

#15 TJB

TJB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'm a guy and only child, so I watched my mother cook from a young age. I've always been a pretty good cook and have always done a pretty good job cooking a turkey. I've never tried to deep fry a turkey.

#16 Just thinkin' hard

Just thinkin' hard

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Won't be me - we're headed up north to visit family in VA and we'll end up eating out somewhere. Don't ask - it's a mess up there. But, I'll end up helping my mom with Christmas Eve dinner (our big celebration - Christmas day is leftovers from Christmas Eve). I've never left the giblets in though. We raised birds for eating growing up - so when I cooked my first "commercial" bird - I called mom to find out what in hell's name was inside the bird.

My big issue is cooking it upside down. If it doesn't have the popup timer in it - invariably - it'll get cooked upside down.
Posted Image

#17 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Won't be me - we're headed up north to visit family in VA and we'll end up eating out somewhere. Don't ask - it's a mess up there. But, I'll end up helping my mom with Christmas Eve dinner (our big celebration - Christmas day is leftovers from Christmas Eve). I've never left the giblets in though. We raised birds for eating growing up - so when I cooked my first "commercial" bird - I called mom to find out what in hell's name was inside the bird.

My big issue is cooking it upside down. If it doesn't have the popup timer in it - invariably - it'll get cooked upside down.

I love the stories were mom gets a phone call Thanksgiving afternoon, mom whats this brown gross stuff in the turkey :ninja:

El Zorro

#18 The General

The General

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

I cooked a cornish hen in a turkey for a family gathering last year and told all the grand kids the turkey was pregnant. That did not go over to well with some.
  • CitizenCain likes this

#19 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

I cooked a cornish hen in a turkey for a family gathering last year and told all the grand kids the turkey was pregnant. That did not go over to well with some.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

El Zorro

#20 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Oh you're good your're really good ! Posted Image

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#21 The General

The General

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Oh you're good your're really good ! Posted Image

Thanks I try.

I had to do some explaining to some of the younger ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics