38 replies to this topic

#1 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Which does your family prefer?
We end up having both, the family travels to FL for the holiday so usually we get together for more than one meal. Turkey on Thanksgiving and a ham the next night.

Same thing at Christmas dinner in Tn. turkey and ham because we have a lot of people.
Personally I would never miss the turkey.

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#2 Kim Cobb PCSB Post 3

Kim Cobb PCSB Post 3

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

We end up having both, the family travels to FL for the holiday so usually we get together for more than one meal. Turkey on Thanksgiving and a ham the next night.

Same thing at Christmas dinner in Tn. turkey and ham because we have a lot of people.

I am sure YOU will have "peas 'n onions" too..... lol

:pardon:
Accessible at kimberlycobb@bellsouth.net or 770-597-8211 cell :)

#3 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

I am sure YOU will have "peas 'n onions" too..... lol

:pardon:

Yepper!!

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#4 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

Posted Image

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#5 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Both.
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#6 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,379 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

I prefer ham, but we will be having my mother in laws dry turkey instead.
  • brown*eyed*girl likes this
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#7 RhondaW

RhondaW

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Last year we had lasagna, this year beef stroganoff .
Nomnomnomnom

I don't care for turkey, and we can eat ham anytime :p .
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.  ~~~~~  "A room without a book, is like a body without a soul"  ~Cicero ~~~~~~ I dream of  a world...where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.<br />"Life is short. Don't be an asshole"~Jenilyn

#8 MillCreek

MillCreek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,378 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Forget going to Villa Rica, and doing the family thing -- I'm going to LPPT's -- Anyone else wanna go?!?!?! Maybe throw LPPT in the pool!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#9 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Forget going to Villa Rica, and doing the family thing -- I'm going to LPPT's -- Anyone else wanna go?!?!?! Maybe throw LPPT in the pool!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I will be in N-FL, the weather is the same as here, no pool time!!! :wacko:

El Zorro

#10 Gotcha Lookn Good

Gotcha Lookn Good

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Turkey....Both on Christmas..

http://www.paulding.com/ads/Gotchapatrevise2.swf
1376B Hiram/Douglasville Hwy(92)S Hiram,Ga 30141
visit us at: www.gotchalookngood.com

#11 sammieswifey

sammieswifey

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Slow roasted honey ham and fried turkey..juciest turkey ever:)
"Better humble yourself, that could be you and yours"

Karma is so ugly....remember that when you think you're being clever

PROUD LIBERAL CHICK..!!

#12 CarolineElizabeth

CarolineElizabeth

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,620 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

both

#13 KRM

KRM

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

I like either or both. We fried a turkey last year, for the first time. OMG! It was so good!!! Makes it a bit difficult to make dressing, but I got it!

This year will be spent with friends eating out. Sunday is dinner with the DD and SIL's family. No turkey cooking for me!!!

Christmas I will do a ton of cooking, though. My Dad is coming up and we do Christmas here. I love will have a blast cooking!!!:yahoo:

Hush up, you Stalker!!

#14 spucketts

spucketts

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

Thanksgiving means turkey and with turkey there is stuffing cause that's what Grandma always made. She'd make extra stuffing and put it in muffin tins and bake just till it got crunchy on the outside. Pour some of that homemade turkey gravey on it, YUM!

And while we're at it, A Christmas tree comes from a forest and is made of wood and smells like pine. These plastic things from China that stink of attic dust are just silly.

#15 DallasRED

DallasRED

GO NAVY!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,976 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

I like either or both. We fried a turkey last year, for the first time. OMG! It was so good!!! Makes it a bit difficult to make dressing, but I got it!

This year will be spent with friends eating out. Sunday is dinner with the DD and SIL's family. No turkey cooking for me!!!

Christmas I will do a ton of cooking, though. My Dad is coming up and we do Christmas here. I love will have a blast cooking!!!:yahoo:

Fried turkey is good, how do you make the gravy though without the drippings?
Posted Image

"Why are some people such assholes for no reason but then are the first to bitch to the mods when the tables are turned" GO BLUE

"You judge me and think you know me, and I'm quite sure we've never met. You know nothing." MADEA

"NOT ONE DAMN ONE OF YOU HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL ME I CAN NOT FEEL THE WAY I DO." SOLO

#16 MissSophie

MissSophie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Stuffed Turkey for Thanksgiving - Ham for Christmas!

#17 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

I prefer ham, Hubby likes turkey. I'm giving him his way entirely this year because today will mark the 25th straight day he's worked without a day off and he still has tomorrow to go, then he'll be off for 5 whole days to recover. The people GPC sent to New York got back this weekend and they are finally back on their regular schedule. He's worked 2 8 hr days, 2 16 hr days and all the rest 12 hr days and he's about done.

#18 Dana

Dana

PEACE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,577 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

both

There but for the grace of God, go I.

#19 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Turkey on Turkey (Thanksgiving) day and Ham on Christmas. Although, a ham would be good. We haven't had a ham in a while. hmmmmmmmmm
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#20 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

I prefer ham, but we will be having my mother in laws dry turkey instead.

Adding a can of chicken broth in the turkey pan and basting with butter & broth can fix the dry turkey. :yahoo:
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#21 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,940 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Turkey, turkey, turkey. I like ham, too, but it's red meat. My doctor says NO!

Minnesota Turkey, is the best.

Turkey is a high-protein, low-fat choice, packing more protein and less total fat per portion than chicken, beef or pork. Plus, it’s naturally low in cholesterol. Minnesota’s turkey industry is the #1 turkey producing and processing state in the U.S., with 250 family farmers raising approximately 49 million turkeys annually. These farmers – many of whom are 3rd, 4th and even 5th generation turkey farmers – know how to raise a wholesome and quality turkey for consumers.

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#22 KRM

KRM

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

I get a big hen and bake it for the stock. Then make soup from the meat. :D
  • DallasRED likes this

Hush up, you Stalker!!

#23 MissSophie

MissSophie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

I get a big hen and bake it for the stock. Then make soup from the meat. :D

Hey! Good thinking!

#24 KRM

KRM

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

I prefer ham, Hubby likes turkey. I'm giving him his way entirely this year because today will mark the 25th straight day he's worked without a day off and he still has tomorrow to go, then he'll be off for 5 whole days to recover. The people GPC sent to New York got back this weekend and they are finally back on their regular schedule. He's worked 2 8 hr days, 2 16 hr days and all the rest 12 hr days and he's about done.

He deserves turkey!! and a massage and a vaca and whatever his heart desires. He's so wonderful and you and y'alls are, too!! :wub:

Hush up, you Stalker!!

#25 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I have been frying turkeys for 15-20 years now, and have done alot of trial and error study.

I cut out the backbone. When a whole turkey goes into 325-350F oil, the cavities inside can act like a venturi and hot oil can come shooting up through the inside of the bird. And the leg quarters and breast cook at different rates, so I cook the breast/wings whole, and the leg quarters separate.

For making gravy you have several options. I make stock all year long from raw turkey and chicken pieces [white stock] and cooked turkey carcasses [except smoked....don't bother as it makes funky tasting stock], so I always have stock put up in quart jars.

If no stock is available, take the wing tips, back, neck, gizzard and heart[leave out the liver] and make a stock by covering with water, celery, onion, carrot, parsley, bay leave and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, ladle off the foam, and simmer for 4-5 hours. Strain and set aside.

Make a roux out of equal parts frying oil [after frying the bird or while its frying] and all purpose flour. Brown the roux at least to a light beige color. Up to a point, the darker the roux the more flavor, but you can reach a point where the roux loses its thickening agents. Add in the stock, and season.

I have been known to make more gravy for freezing or canning the day afterwards. Pour the oil through a strainer back into the jug it came in, and the cooked bits left in the bottom of the turkey frying pot will make a wonderful gravy but will need some fresh flour in the roux in order to get thick. Add stock and stir well and you should have plenty of gravy.

And you can use store bought stock, we just don't care for the salt and other preservatives and it is not near as flavorful as homemade stock.

We will be eating with friends this year for the first time really ever. Daughter, Son inlaw, Grandaughter are all in Mexico, and son is in California.

Since 2002, when we started being the host family for our local Georgia Rotary International Student attending West Georgia, we have invited ALL the international students from Carrollton who had no place to eat. And some of our kids other international friends [both speak spanish fluently and have lots of Latin friends]. We generally would have 20-25 for dinner.

We would smoke 1 turkey, bake a 2nd one with an Adobo Sauce made from Quayaquil peppers and stuffing, and then depending on the head count we would fry 2 or 3. We would freeze the left overs in seal a meal bags, and cut up the pieces left on the bone and freeze with blanched carrots, little peas, chopped onion/celery and gravy in bags large enough to do a large Pot Pie later. All you have to do for the Pot Pie is make a crust in a pie pan, pour in the defrosted pot pie filling, lay a crust on top and bake for 30 minutes. A great use for left over birds later in the year. Pot Pie filling will also can very well in quart jars.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#26 DallasRED

DallasRED

GO NAVY!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,976 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I have been frying turkeys for 15-20 years now, and have done alot of trial and error study.

I cut out the backbone. When a whole turkey goes into 325-350F oil, the cavities inside can act like a venturi and hot oil can come shooting up through the inside of the bird. And the leg quarters and breast cook at different rates, so I cook the breast/wings whole, and the leg quarters separate.

For making gravy you have several options. I make stock all year long from raw turkey and chicken pieces [white stock] and cooked turkey carcasses [except smoked....don't bother as it makes funky tasting stock], so I always have stock put up in quart jars.

If no stock is available, take the wing tips, back, neck, gizzard and heart[leave out the liver] and make a stock by covering with water, celery, onion, carrot, parsley, bay leave and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, ladle off the foam, and simmer for 4-5 hours. Strain and set aside.

Make a roux out of equal parts frying oil [after frying the bird or while its frying] and all purpose flour. Brown the roux at least to a light beige color. Up to a point, the darker the roux the more flavor, but you can reach a point where the roux loses its thickening agents. Add in the stock, and season.

I have been known to make more gravy for freezing or canning the day afterwards. Pour the oil through a strainer back into the jug it came in, and the cooked bits left in the bottom of the turkey frying pot will make a wonderful gravy but will need some fresh flour in the roux in order to get thick. Add stock and stir well and you should have plenty of gravy.

And you can use store bought stock, we just don't care for the salt and other preservatives and it is not near as flavorful as homemade stock.

We will be eating with friends this year for the first time really ever. Daughter, Son inlaw, Grandaughter are all in Mexico, and son is in California.

Since 2002, when we started being the host family for our local Georgia Rotary International Student attending West Georgia, we have invited ALL the international students from Carrollton who had no place to eat. And some of our kids other international friends [both speak spanish fluently and have lots of Latin friends]. We generally would have 20-25 for dinner.

We would smoke 1 turkey, bake a 2nd one with an Adobo Sauce made from Quayaquil peppers and stuffing, and then depending on the head count we would fry 2 or 3. We would freeze the left overs in seal a meal bags, and cut up the pieces left on the bone and freeze with blanched carrots, little peas, chopped onion/celery and gravy in bags large enough to do a large Pot Pie later. All you have to do for the Pot Pie is make a crust in a pie pan, pour in the defrosted pot pie filling, lay a crust on top and bake for 30 minutes. A great use for left over birds later in the year. Pot Pie filling will also can very well in quart jars.

Thanks for the tips!
Posted Image

"Why are some people such assholes for no reason but then are the first to bitch to the mods when the tables are turned" GO BLUE

"You judge me and think you know me, and I'm quite sure we've never met. You know nothing." MADEA

"NOT ONE DAMN ONE OF YOU HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL ME I CAN NOT FEEL THE WAY I DO." SOLO

#27 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for the tips!

one other gravy suggestion. When you are rinsing your bird, and or cutting out the back, pull all the leaf fat you can from the internal cavity. Should be 2 nice size hunks on either side of the ventral opening. Reduce the fat in a cast iron or what ever skillet you want to cook gravy in.

Then cut in equal amounts of flour to rendered fat. This also will reduce the amount of turkey fat that ends up back in the peanut oil for future use.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#28 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

He deserves turkey!! and a massage and a vaca and whatever his heart desires. He's so wonderful and you and y'alls are, too!! :wub:

Right back at ya'!!!!!!! :wub:

#29 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,451 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

We did a smoked & stuffed turkey last year and invited neighbors over.
This year, it is just the 2 of us so I'm going to put a ham into the crock pot :)
Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#30 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

I have always heard if you cook it upside down the white meat will be juicer.
My mom always basted, but she kept that turkey tightly sealed until the last hour when she let it brown.
Later she bought a convection oven with a plug in thermometer and it was never over cooked.
I use my electric roaster from Walmart mine is never dry, the only draw back just like cooking upside down you don't have traditional presentation. Honestly though with big get togethers I seldom see a a turkey on the table generally it is sliced in the kitchen.
I have another little trick too. I make my first slice over a very wide area of the breast getting all the skin I can, As soon as I am done slicing I cover it with that piece while I finish slicing. The meat is very warm allowing all the juice to evaporate out.

People are really squeamish these days about seeing or touching, skin, bone or organs.
A lot of people won't touch giblet gravy anymore once they know how it is made.

El Zorro

#31 justgettingby

justgettingby

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Neither. Normally we do Alaskan King Crab legs but since Maine lobster is cheaper this year...lobstah it is!

#32 sugail

sugail

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

We usually have both but we are just having turkey this year. I saw Michael Symon soak a cheesecloth in butter and herbs and then lay it on top of the turkey while baking. I'm going to try that.

#33 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Brine the bird for 24 hours and the white meat will be juicy. I get them thawed enought to get the gib packs out, etc., and if possible to cut out the backbone. Then drop it in a cooler full of brine. And, I generally do several, so it will fill up the cooler and its no big deal to keep a layer of ice floating to let you know they are cold enough.

#34 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

We usually have both but we are just having turkey this year. I saw Michael Symon soak a cheesecloth in butter and herbs and then lay it on top of the turkey while baking. I'm going to try that.

My daughter did that Saturday (we do Thanksgiving the Saturday before) and it was great.
Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

#35 sugail

sugail

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

My daughter did that Saturday (we do Thanksgiving the Saturday before) and it was great.

Good to know.

#36 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

We did a smoked & stuffed turkey last year and invited neighbors over.
This year, it is just the 2 of us so I'm going to put a ham into the crock pot :)

For a store bought, water added, processed whole ham [NOT an dry aged smoked cured ham]

Best and easist ham recipe:

Obtain a big, old fashioned grocery store paper bag...or 2, preferably with no printing on them.

Score the ham roughly on the fat side, or with a nice checkerboard pattern if you want it all pretty, and place it in the bag, on a rack in a big baking pan, fat side up.

Bake at 225F for 35 to 45 minutes a pound....more or less [the bigger they are, the less hours per pound].

Depending on the bag, the juices may still be in it, and you can let it cool for an hour or so, and then slit the bag across the top and lift out the ham, then pour the "RedEye" into a container to dip, pour over, or make gravy,

The ham will be tender, juicy, and as long as you let it cool well first, very easy to slice.

And, if the bag[s] hold together, there is no baking pan to even clean. If not, it no big deal because the temperature was so low.

Almost impossible to overcook.

We do them overnight, and the aroma in the house in the morning is wonderful.

I have been cooking them like this for 40 years now.

#37 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,391 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Turkey for Thanksgiving and Honey Baked (YUMMMMMM!) for Christmas.

I've never learned to like turkey so I don't eat it, but my husband and kids love it!

#38 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,379 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Adding a can of chicken broth in the turkey pan and basting with butter & broth can fix the dry turkey. :yahoo:

I'll PM you my mother in laws phone number. If you could let her know, that would be great. If I suggest that, she won't buy me a Christmas present this year.
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#39 sammieswifey

sammieswifey

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

you can either use the turkey neck and giblets that come in the pack along with raw chicken backs, necks and slow simmmer in a med or large pot...add your celery and other seasonings you use with chicken bouillion cubes, and cream of chicken to thicken it up....drain the juice and use some for your dressing and make your gravy on the side with it as well:)
"Better humble yourself, that could be you and yours"

Karma is so ugly....remember that when you think you're being clever

PROUD LIBERAL CHICK..!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics