Paulding.com

Paulding county races who are you voting for?

Paulding county races  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Whom do you plan to vote for commission Chairman?

• David Austin
    • Tony Crowe
    • I can't vote in this race
    • undecided
  2. 2. Whom do you plan to vote for commission post 1

• Heidi Leggett
    • David Carmicheal
    • N/A don't live in post 1
    • undecided
  3. 3. Whom do you plan to vote for District 19?

• Paulett Braddock
    • Michael James
    • Melissa Morrison
    • N/A don't live in district/county
    • undecided
  4. 4. Whom will you vote for Senate 31 race

• Bill Heath
    • Bill Carruth
    • Jason "JK" Rogers
    • NA don't live in District /county
    • undecided
  5. 5. Whom do you favor for Paulding Magistrate Judge

• Martin E. Valbuena
    • Dan Collins
    • Brian Hardison
    • Freddy Henderson
    • Can't vote/don't live in county
    • undecided
  6. 6. Who is your choice for Coroner?

• Sam Clark
    • Jeff Eberhart
    • undecided
    • N/A Can't vote
  7. 7. Your choice for County Surveyor is ...

• Carlton Rakestraw
    • Jon Tripcony
    • undecided
    • N/A Can't vote
  8. 8. Whom would you select for the At Large School Board seat?

• Joe Watson
    • Justin Rowland
    • N/A Can't vote
    • undecided
  9. 9. Who do pick for the GOP nominanee for House District 66

• Michael "Mike" Miller
    • Bob Snelling
    • Mickey Thompson
    • undecided
    • N/A Can't vote NOT IN DISTRICT

I found it, from a lead in a March 2008 post.

I also missed the reason for the technology park project. I think Shearin, in explaining it to me, said it had to do with the fiber-optic line that was run up and down the silver comet trail and around to some of the schools. For the life of me, I never associated it with the subject in this topic.

http://paulding.com/forum/index.php/topic/136237-goldmine-lake-to-be-developed/page__hl__%2Bairport+%2Bgoldmine__st__50

I noted that the general concept presented there and in the "Paulding Post"... the county 'magazine' that Jerry paid Chris Barker and some other reporters (not me) to write was the source. There appeared to be some confusion on that, though, as Paulettes "Pulse of Paulding" monthly magazine was also a suspect.

I think you can tell from the discussion cited that no one took the project very seriously (except you Whitey ;) ... you talked about the 25000 people that were supposed to be part of some kind of technology park in a few locations.)

Anyway, the law establishing the technology authority apparently was the key bit and while that became law in the summer of 2008, the reality is that the financial markets were already shaky at the point and Jerry lost the in mid July, within a couple of weeks of when he would have been able to start appointments. Then, of course, the financial crash came along two or three months later sealing the fate of this fantasy.

I will note a few more things. Jerry did talk about the "commerce department award" for the plan but never really emphasized the plan in, say, his state of the county address that year. And, I suspect that was largely because the small airport was already a big thorn in his side and promoting this plan would have opened the door to even more criticism.

In anycase, the plans for that project, including any shenanigans, were targeted for this new 'technology' board which was never appointed. The Paulding Technology and facilities board remains dormant.

I think this is more akin to plans the US government might have for the armed takeover of Mexico. I'm sure you'd find them somewhere in some archive and you'd find they'd been taken out and dusted off a few times over the years ... but after a brief review ... they were hastily put right back on the shelf until the next person who didn't know any better took them down.

To me, that marketing plan was a 95 percent pie in the sky and sucking up to federal 'funders.'

pubby

It may be a pie in the sky to you, But to me it is a law on the books of the State of georgia that some day will become reality,And was pushed by our elected leaders at the time.

Somewhere in the archives of P.Com Is the actual bill, Winchesters and I had a real good discussion about this project. The law provided for the developers to set millage rates and to collect taxes, And yes it did provide for 30,000 new homes in that area.

This is just one more example where elected and appointed leaders withheld information that citizens were entitled to.

Just like Congressman Phil Gingrey got Paulding County a ear mark to begin the studies for the airport and did not have the gonads to let the people in Paulding County know about it

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I voted for Heidi Leggett for Post 1 commissioner. I heard about her on here and just had the opportunity to talk with her over the phone. I have to say I'm extremely impressed with her ideas. Not onl

I also have talked with Heidi Leggett And was impressed with the amount of knowledge that she has about the needs of the County and the real down to earth desire to make Paulding County a better place

"the cow"? Just from an outside observer that doesn't make me want to vote for your candidate over her. It sounds like there are plenty of things negative to say about her rather than calling her a co

Where'd ya go Heidi Jo? I would like to know who yo are supporting in the two races. Crowe or Austin and Braddock or Morrison?

That will help people get to know you better than a two hour conversation.

I run my own campaign, and I feel others should do the same.

I am rooting for Jon Tripcony as I think he is one of the most knowledgeable people I know, and because I worked for him so many years. He is distant family and a very dear friend.

I am rooting for Jon Tripcony as I think he is one of the most knowledgeable people I know, and because I worked for him so many years. He is distant family and a very dear friend.

That is not what I asked.

That is not what I asked.

This is what I have said from the beginning and this is what I have told every candidate that asked.

I'm sorry if it's not the answer you are looking for. No candidate signs were allowed at my home or

at my campaign headquarters on Bobo and Macland.

This is what I have said from the beginning and this is what I have told every candidate that asked.

I'm sorry if it's not the answer you are looking for. No candidate signs were allowed at my home or

at my campaign headquarters on Bobo and Macland.

Never mind. I have my answer. 8)

I have come to like and respect your sister during this campaign. Wish I had seen more of you.

It may be a pie in the sky to you, But to me it is a law on the books of the State of georgia that some day will become reality,And was pushed by our elected leaders at the time.

Somewhere in the archives of P.Com Is the actual bill, Winchesters and I had a real good discussion about this project. The law provided for the developers to set millage rates and to collect taxes, And yes it did provide for 30,000 new homes in that area.

This is just one more example where elected and appointed leaders withheld information that citizens were entitled to.

Just like Congressman Phil Gingrey got Paulding County a ear mark to begin the studies for the airport and did not have the gonads to let the people in Paulding County know about it

I found it. It starts saying: "This Act shall be known and may be cited as the "Paulding County Facilities and Technology Authority Act." and the version I have is the one as passed by both the State Senate and House and was ultimately signed by Governor Purdue.

No where in it does it say that it would build 30,000 houses or any houses anywhere.

It also does not provide for developers to have any membership on the authority's board of directors nor does it even obligate the taxpayer for repayment of the revenue bonds.

It does provide as its purposes:

(1) To engage in the marketing and leasing of real and personal property and the

provision of technical facilities and services;

(2) To encourage and promote the development of the property in and near the Paulding

County courthouse and government complex and other such government facilities in

Paulding County so as to promote these areas to quality business and development;

(3) To make improvements to other county facilities or other county property for use as

rental property or to market said property for sale and purchase;

(4) To lease or sell county owned real property to qualified merchants for commercial

or industrial use; and

(5) To sell or lease capacity and services on county owned technology infrastructure, the income from which shall be used for the maintenance and expansion of the technology

infrastructure and improvements in technology for the county government property, facilities, and services may be made available to the authority for such purpose by

the governing authority of Paulding County ...

Specifically, this law is heavy on the rules regarding tax free revenue bonds, who can be paid, etc. and how revenue can be handled.

There are sections of this law that may push the boundaries of propriety ... To wit:

The authority shall adopt a resolution authorizing the issuance of the revenue bonds. In the resolution, the authority shall determine that the project financed with the proceeds of the revenue bonds is self-liquidating. Revenue bonds may be issued without any other proceedings or the happening of any other conditions or things other than those proceedings, conditions, and things which are specified or required by this Act. Any resolution providing for the issuance of revenue bonds under the provisions of this Act shall become effective immediately upon its passage and need not be published or posted, and any such resolution may be passed at any regular or special or adjourned meeting of the authority by a majority of its members.

Still:

SECTION 13.

Credit not pledged.

Revenue bonds shall not be deemed to constitute a debt of Paulding County, nor a pledge of the faith and credit of the county, but such revenue bonds shall be payable solely from the fund provided for in this Act. The issuance of such revenue bonds shall not directly, indirectly, or contingently obligate the county to levy or to pledge any form of taxation whatsoever for payment of such revenue bonds or to make any appropriation for their payment, and all such revenue bonds shall contain recitals on their face covering substantially the foregoing provisions of this section.

So, there is no direct or indirect path to the taxpayer for the acts of this entity other than provisions that allow it to create a contract that does obligate the county and that is a far cry from the allegation that developers can set millage rates.

If you asked me if this authority could be a funding agent for a project like the technology park along the lines described at the time I'd have to answer yes. I would also say that venture would have some significant benefits in that its access to money would be quite cheap, what with tax free revenue bonds being the primary funding source.

Oh, and here is the bill. Right click to download, left click to open in Acrobat

Whitey, what I see is an authority with broad, but not overly broad powers that has some putative provisions designed to let is skirt open records laws but generally nothing patently sinister. The composition of the board would allow each of the post commissioners a board member and would include the commission chairman on the board as well.

The other thing is that this authority remains 'dormant' ... it cannot operate without a board of directors and since no directors have been appointed, for all practical purposes it does not exist.

pubby

I found it. It starts saying: "This Act shall be known and may be cited as the "Paulding County Facilities and Technology Authority Act." and the version I have is the one as passed by both the State Senate and House and was ultimately signed by Governor Purdue.

No where in it does it say that it would build 30,000 houses or any houses anywhere.

It also does not provide for developers to have any membership on the authority's board of directors nor does it even obligate the taxpayer for repayment of the revenue bonds.

It does provide as its purposes:

(1) To engage in the marketing and leasing of real and personal property and the

provision of technical facilities and services;

(2) To encourage and promote the development of the property in and near the Paulding

County courthouse and government complex and other such government facilities in

Paulding County so as to promote these areas to quality business and development;

(3) To make improvements to other county facilities or other county property for use as

rental property or to market said property for sale and purchase;

(4) To lease or sell county owned real property to qualified merchants for commercial

or industrial use; and

(5) To sell or lease capacity and services on county owned technology infrastructure, the income from which shall be used for the maintenance and expansion of the technology

infrastructure and improvements in technology for the county government property, facilities, and services may be made available to the authority for such purpose by

the governing authority of Paulding County ...

Specifically, this law is heavy on the rules regarding tax free revenue bonds, who can be paid, etc. and how revenue can be handled.

There are sections of this law that may push the boundaries of propriety ... To wit:

Still:

So, there is no direct or indirect path to the taxpayer for the acts of this entity other than provisions that allow it to create a contract that does obligate the county and that is a far cry from the allegation that developers can set millage rates.

If you asked me if this authority could be a funding agent for a project like the technology park along the lines described at the time I'd have to answer yes. I would also say that venture would have some significant benefits in that its access to money would be quite cheap, what with tax free revenue bonds being the primary funding source.

Oh, and here is the bill. Right click to download, left click to open in Acrobat

Whitey, what I see is an authority with broad, but not overly broad powers that has some putative provisions designed to let is skirt open records laws but generally nothing patently sinister. The composition of the board would allow each of the post commissioners a board member and would include the commission chairman on the board as well.

The other thing is that this authority remains 'dormant' ... it cannot operate without a board of directors and since no directors have been appointed, for all practical purposes it does not exist.

pubby

Sorry Pubby,still the wrong law

Sorry Pubby,still the wrong law

This was the one listed in the article in which the 25,000 houses (it's grown to 30,000 with memory) was cited.

If it was a state law - or even a proposed law - it would be in the online database listed under the sponsor(s) which would be either Mr. Richardson of the 19th or Mr. Maxwell of the 17th. (if it was in that time). It is not some secret document.

If it is the wrong law, show me.

I'm saying that is the 'right law' as it is broadly written and capable of accomplishing a project of that magnitude.

But specific projects, with houses enumerated, etc. is just not how state law is written, Whitey.

What ever you remember, it wasn't a law.

pubby