yo! ×
Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Eddie Bennett

Lynn Gete, A Georgia Woman, Forces Son To Kill Hamster

According to reports, the case initially began when a teacher noticed scratches on the 12-year-old boy's neck. Only later did sheriff's deputies discover that she had forced her son to kill his hamster over the bad grades he was receiving.

This was on the Dr. Phill Show today. I just don't think the death of a hamster (same as a rat to me) is worth three years in prison. Her son needs his mother back.

Lynn Geter Forces Son to Kill Hamster with Hammer Over Bad ...

Edited by The Postman

... Only later did sheriff's deputies discover that she had forced her son to kill his hamster over the bad grades he was receiving.

... don't think the death of a hamster (same as a rat to me)...

When Lynn Middlebrooks Geter found that her 12-year-old son's report card wasn't to her liking, she didn't offer to help him with homework or ask teachers for extra instruction. No, she decided something more drastic was in order.

The 38-year-old mom from Warm Springs, Georgia decided the best way for her boy to learn was to kill his pet hamster. With a hammer.

The Postman, you say you don't value hamsters even though many children get a lot of enjoyment out of them as pets. What about the value of the child? How was such an experience going to affect him? I can't imagine that he felt loved and valued.

The Postman, you say you don't value hamsters even though many children get a lot of enjoyment out of them as pets. What about the value of the child? How was such an experience going to affect him? I can't imagine that he felt loved and valued.

I saw the kid on Dr. Phil, and I do usually agree with Dr. Phil, Butterfly Lion!

But, his mother has been gone for over two years. The kid said he loves his mother, and he understands her concern, and the fact that maybe she should have been reprimanded, but he doesn't think the punishment suits the situation.

I think if anyone deserves an early release it should be her. The kid is the one who chose to kill the hamster rather than to release it like his mother wanted him to do.

I wouldn't kill a hamster that a kid loves, but the lesson of setting something free is also love. In this case, I would have chosen to give the hamster away to another loving person.

Edited by The Postman

I agree, the punishment did not fit the crime.

It was gross, and demented and punishable, but not to this extent.

I agree, the punishment did not fit the crime.

It was gross, and demented and punishable, but not to this extent.

The kid's father has been keeping the child by himself, and trying to work too. He is a good Georgia citizen. He said his wife was not that bad of a person, even though she is not perfect.

It seems to me that some laws are enforced, with zero tolerance, while others simply are not enforced, in this state. What has this state got against women, whicht causes mothers to get so much punishment? Why, doese corruption goes undetected is so many other places, while this kind of thing is punished so severely?

Edited by The Postman

I saw the kid on Dr. Phil, and I do usually agree with Dr. Phil, Butterfly Lion!

But, his mother has been gone for over two years. The kid said he loves his mother, and he understands her concern, and the fact that maybe she should have been reprimanded, but he doesn't think the punishment suits the situation.

I think if anyone deserves an early release it should be her. The kid is the one who chose to kill the hamster rather than to release it like his mother wanted him to do.

I wouldn't kill a hamster that a kid loves, but the lesson of setting something free is also love. In this case, I would have chosen to give the hamster away to another loving person.

I read the article that you posted and there was no mention that I saw of the mother giving her son any other option. I did search and see if I could find a video of the Dr. Phil show the day you started the thread but it didn't show up then. It was still troubling me today so I decided to post.

I have no comment on the punishment and whether it fits the crime. I am still in shock that a mother could do that. WTH? That's just sick and if I were a parent and my child was exposed to an adult that would do this they wouldn't be spending any more time with them. Sick, sick, sick.....just thinking about it makes me sick.

I read the article that you posted and there was no mention that I saw of the mother giving her son any other option. I did search and see if I could find a video of the Dr. Phil show the day you started the thread but it didn't show up then. It was still troubling me today so I decided to post.

As I said, ButterflyLion, I agree with Dr. Phil on most everything, but I don't think he was fully on the child's best interest on this issue. I found myself feeling sorry for the kid, and his father. Dr. Phil stuck up for the law. This poor woman is serving three years in prison for wanting to set a hamster free as punishment for her child making bad grades. On the Dr. Phil show, the teenager said it was his choice to kill the hamster rather than to free it.

Like you, I cannot find anything other than to prove it was on the Dr, Phil Show.

Dr. Phil.com

The story of the mother who made her son kill his pet gerbil was very disturbing. Could she not have taken the gerbil away, had him give it to a friend, or to local humane society if she found it too much of a distraction?

And Dr. Phil’s comment after the father stated it was just a rat that he killed, Dr. Phil stated that it was not a rat it was a gerbil, so that’s a totally different thing-as if it would be OK to beat a RAT to death with a hammer?!!!!

As an owner of 5 rats now presently, and having owned many in the past, I am always appalled when people have the misguided attitude that they are dirty, come from sewers and carry diseases. Rats have been compared to dogs in terms of loyalty, friendliness, and smarts.

Shame on the mom for doing what she did,and shame on Dr. Phil for his comment!

Edited by The Postman

I have no comment on the punishment and whether it fits the crime. I am still in shock that a mother could do that. WTH? That's just sick and if I were a parent and my child was exposed to an adult that would do this they wouldn't be spending any more time with them. Sick, sick, sick.....just thinking about it makes me sick.

Are you suggesting that Dr. Phil should be reprimanded for his attitude on killing a rat with a hammer?

Is Dr. Phil sick?

As I said, ButterflyLion, I agree with Dr. Phil on most everything, but I don't think he was fully on the child's best interest on this issue. I found myself feeling sorry for the kid, and his father. Dr. Phil stuck up for the law. This poor woman is serving three years in prison for wanting to set a hamster free as punishment for her child making bad grades. On the Dr. Phil show, the teenager said it was his choice to kill the hamster rather than to free it.

Lynn Gete, A Georgia Woman, Forces Son To Kill Hamster OVER BAD GRADES, IN JAN. 2010, IS STILL IN JAIL

It's a troubling story no matter which details are true and I don't intend to post anymore about it but I do wonder why you choose the above for the thread title and description---if the the Dr. Phil show revealed the mother did not force her son to do what he did.

I don't understand why people don't think what she did is a problem. I don't care if it was a hamster or gerbil. I saw the show Friday. Maybe 3 years is a little much, BUT that is atrocious. I never, in a million years, allow my son to do such a thing, let alone make him do it while I watched as a form of punishment. Disgusting.

In addition, she took the life of a living creature on purpose. Call me a tree higher or whatever, but I do not condone such an activity. I don't even kill bugs, and if i do, I feel guilty.

It's a troubling story no matter which details are true and I don't intend to post anymore about it but I do wonder why you choose the above for the thread title and description---if the the Dr. Phil show revealed the mother did not force her son to do what he did.

Oh, I see what you are saying, Butterfly Lion!

I was just saying that many people perceive it to be that way. I don't perceive it that way. I think some people are treated worse than other people, and this child's mother needs to be forgiven for what she did. Especially if Dr. Phil, himself, felt if it had been a rat a hammer death would have been permissible. :drinks:

I don't understand why people don't think what she did is a problem. I don't care if it was a hamster or gerbil. I saw the show Friday. Maybe 3 years is a little much, BUT that is atrocious. I never, in a million years, allow my son to do such a thing, let alone make him do it while I watched as a form of punishment. Disgusting.

In addition, she took the life of a living creature on purpose. Call me a tree higher or whatever, but I do not condone such an activity. I don't even kill bugs, and if i do, I feel guilty.

I agree, and I disagree, MB!

I have a lot of respect for Dr. Phil, and I do mean a LOT, but I can't see where he understands one life being snuffed out with a hammer is any more reasonable than any other life.

I saw my father shoot a dog in the back side once, and watched him suffer before actually shooting him in the head. I knew my father was a WWII marksman, and such a miss shot was not possible for him. But, I got over that.:drinks:

Guest Inspector Callahan

Dr. Phil is no more of a Doctor than I am. He has no medical certification of any kind.

Are you suggesting that Dr. Phil should be reprimanded for his attitude on killing a rat with a hammer?

Is Dr. Phil sick?

I didn't say anything about Dr. Phil. I did not watch the show or read the article. My comments were directed at the "A Georgia Woman, Forces Son To Kill Hamster" which is the title of this thread. I can think of no circumstance where this would be acceptable and did not read anything further about it.

I'm with you, the woman is obviously a little sick in the head. I feel bad for the kid, but perhaps he is better off for the time being.

I also feel guilty when I kill bugs, But I am a tree hugger, so its expected of me.

My thinking is that the kid would be better off with his mom, even if she is far from a perfect mom. So, I will have to side with the kid. He wants his mom out of jail. I know she got three years, but early release is needed here. :drinks:

:angry2: I'm going to be very blunt here. That Biotch doesn't deserve to be a mother. This story infuriates me. That little boy has been traumatized and I hope she rots in jail.

:angry2: I'm going to be very blunt here. That Biotch doesn't deserve to be a mother. This story infuriates me. That little boy has been traumatized and I hope she rots in jail.

The boy's father thinks the killing of a rat getting his wife three years, is ridiculous, dana! I will have to take his side, against Dr. Phill.I killed a rat just a few days ago, which was about the same size rodent as the gerbil, which was what the kid killed, is a desert rat. A squirrel is a tree rat.

A pet rat is a squirrel, a desert rat, a white rat, a hamster, a gerbil, etc., etc.

But, I see your point. It was a death. :drinks:

It's all disturbing. I couldn't help but notice this title to another article on the page you linked to:

Teen Accused of Hammer-Murdering Parents: "They Deserved It"

The boy's father thinks the killing of a rat getting his wife three years, is ridiculous, dana! I will have to take his side, against Dr. Phill.I killed a rat just a few days ago, which was about the same size rodent as the gerbil, which was what the kid killed, is a desert rat. A squirrel is a tree rat.

A pet rat is a squirrel, a desert rat, a white rat, a hamster, a gerbil, etc., etc.

It has nothing to do with the species of animal. Forcing your child to kill his pet is child abuse. People who abuse children deserve to go to prison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has nothing to do with the species of animal. Forcing your child to kill his pet is child abuse. People who abuse children deserve to go to prison.

Thanks Jenilyn, my point exactly.

Some people just don't get it.

It's all disturbing. I couldn't help but notice this title to another article on the page you linked to:

Teen Accused of Hammer-Murdering Parents: "They Deserved It"

I have to ask myself, WWJD?

Killing a gerbil, in my opinion, is not a reason for stoning this woman so severely. Now she may need to be punished, but not to the extent of abandonment of her four children, and leaving them to their father, who probably has to work..

There seem to be radically different takes emerging on Lynn Geter. If you read the comments in the article you speak of, ButterflyLion, you'll find that she has more than a few supporters who describe her as a great mom, a PTA president, and a loyal cleaning lady at her church.

Edited by The Postman

I have to ask myself, WWJD?

Killing a gerbil, in my opinion, is not a reason for stoning this woman so severely. Now she may need to be punished, but not to the extent of abandonment of her four children, and leaving them to their father, who probably has to work..

There seem to be radically different takes emerging on Lynn Geter. If you read the comments in the article you speak of, ButterflyLion, you'll find that she has more than a few supporters who describe her as a great mom, a PTA president, and a loyal cleaning lady at her church.

You mention WWJD. Jesus said Go and sin no more to one woman but he did show anger with some people concerning their actions.

Concerning the "radically diffferent takes" I did read that---and also that some believe she displayed different behavior in public compared to at home. I remember seeing the term "Mommy Dearest" mentioned in reference to abuse of children.

Like I said the whole thing is disturbing.

Holy crap, are people serious. You pass judgement and do not know the circumstances. Maybe she did try to help him in school, he might have decided not to help himself. And 3 years is too much. It was a stupid thing to do, but just the other day some other idiots got only5 years for beating an homosexual down. The law thinks a rat's life is worth three fifths of a gay person. This country is screwed up and the tree hugging occupy my parks liberal &@!? for brains that have never lived without their moms teat in their mouth make it where we must question our every action in hopes that the da does not catch wind we did not wash our hands after tinkling.

Leave her in there....this has nothing to do with the animal....it is about the emotional abuse she inflicted on her child.

Let her out, she has learned any lesson that was was to be learned.:drinks:

What was on the Dr. Phill show today, was child abuse!

A little girl kept in a closet for 6 years, and taken around in a tor box for sexual exploitation, by her own mother!

When she was found she had to have reconstructive surgery on her little bottom, which was ripped wide open.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Phil.com - Shows - The Girl in the Closet

Edited by The Postman

Serious mental problems usually begin by excessive manipulation of others and with harm to animals.

This woman showed both.

Now, we could wait and see and then point fingers at the failure of the system when she drowns the child in a bathtub. America is way better at that.

Serious mental problems usually begin by excessive manipulation of others and with harm to animals.

This woman showed both.

Now, we could wait and see and then point fingers at the failure of the system when she drowns the child in a bathtub. America is way better at that.

:good:

She's a sick f@(+.

• Like 1

:good:

She's a sick f@(+.

Today's Dr. Phill , is the sick f@9+, show. TC

Today, it was a crime that shocked the world: 8-year-old Lauren was locked in a pitch-black closet, infested with lice and surrounded by human waste, held captive by her mother and step-father for six years. Now 18, Lauren bravely speaks out about the unimaginable abuse she says she suffered at the hands of her parents. CLICK THIS LINK:

Holy crap, are people serious. You pass judgement and do not know the circumstances. Maybe she did try to help him in school, he might have decided not to help himself. And 3 years is too much. It was a stupid thing to do, but just the other day some other idiots got only5 years for beating an homosexual down. The law thinks a rat's life is worth three fifths of a gay person. This country is screwed up and the tree hugging occupy my parks liberal &@!? for brains that have never lived without their moms teat in their mouth make it where we must question our every action in hopes that the da does not catch wind we did not wash our hands after tinkling.

Dude, the mother made her son smash his beloved hamster to death with a hammer.

I'll damn well pass judgement wher it concerns animals or children being abused.

Got a problem with it? Bite me.

BTW, I love trees, especially tulip trees.

Dude, the mother made her son smash his beloved hamster to death with a hammer.

I'll damn well pass judgement wher it concerns animals or children being abused.

Got a problem with it? Bite me.

BTW, I love trees, especially tulip trees.

I appreciate your sincerity, dana!

People who stand for what they believe are the people I like to be a friend of. Even though be disagree, just a little bit, on this. I do not hold it against you. In fact, I do just the opposite.

I say stand up, speak out, and talk back, all the time. Then, if people do it, I certainly should not complain.

I just don't think child abuse is as crippling to a child as some people thinks. I grew up in a family that the Devil would have wanted to grow up and get the hell out of. And, even though other people don't like me much, now, I think I am a good survivor.

The little girl, on the Dr. Phill show, yesterday, which I placed a YouTube video of, got treated much worse than I did, and she still loves people. I still love people, too. In fact I love my fellow man, more than I love Jesus. That is because Jesus can take care of himself. :drinks:

I appreciate your sincerity, dana!

People who stand for what they believe are the people I like to be a friend of. Even though be disagree, just a little bit, on this. I do not hold it against you. In fact, I do just the opposite.

I say stand up, speak out, and talk back, all the time. Then, if people do it, I certainly should not complain.

I just don't think child abuse is as crippling to a child as some people thinks. I grew up in a family that the Devil would have wanted to grow up and get the hell out of. And, even though other people don't like me much, now, I think I am a good survivor.

The little girl, on the Dr. Phill show, yesterday, which I placed a YouTube video of, got treated much worse than I did, and she still loves people. I still love people, too. In fact I love my fellow man, more than I love Jesus. That is because Jesus can take care of himself. :drinks:

So, because in your opinion you're not that screwed up - you think that child abuse is that harmful?

You and that other dude that talks to himself on pcom give me serious pause as to your mental stability. If I were you, I wouldn't use yourself as an example as a result of the child abuse litmus test. Just saying.

So, because in your opinion you're not that screwed up - you think that child abuse is that harmful?

You and that other dude that talks to himself on pcom give me serious pause as to your mental stability. If I were you, I wouldn't use yourself as an example as a result of the child abuse litmus test. Just saying.

You are not me, dgitw!

If you think I talk to myself on P.com you should hear my internal dialog. I talk to myself much more there than I do on P.com!

If you don't talk to yourself, dgitw, you are the one you should be concerned about, as to your mental stability. :drinks:

Edited by The Postman

I grew up in a family that the Devil would have wanted to grow up and get the hell out of.

The Postman, when did you recognize you were growing up in an abusive environment? I am curious becasue I know some children are still in denial even as adults and have symptoms that are or resemble Stockholm Syndrome.

The Postman, when did you recognize you were growing up in an abusive environment? I am curious becasue I know some children are still in denial even as adults and have symptoms that are or resemble Stockholm Syndrome.

Do you remember the Patty Hearst kidnapping, Butterflylion, where she helped her captors rob a bank?

Well, it was in the mid 1970 that I realized I was right about my raising. I had been in denial, even though I was doing things totally different from the way I was raised, already. I doubted my on actions. It took almost a lifetime to totally realize I was much like Patty Hearst. I had to do a lot of work to get away from my childhood brain washing. I still have to study, every day, and I don't just read the Bible.

FBI — Patty Hearst Kidnapping