Paulding.com

John Deere L130 Lawn Tractor for Sale

I have a John Deere L130 Automatic Lawn Tractor that I need to sell to the right buyer. Everything works on the mower except the rear end transaxle needs to be replaced. I can't afford the repair (a new trans installed by the dealer is approx. $600) The trans by itself costs $550. The mower is worth about $2500 being a used mower. The replacement for this model is shown at 8K on the Official John Deere site brand new. So if a buyer had the extra $600 to have the rear end replaced, they would be getting a pretty good deal It has a Kohler Command 23 HP V-Twin engine that runs great. The PTO works fine and the blades, spindles, all seem to be in good condition. Just needs a transmission. I really love this mower, but I am unemployed and do not have the money to get it fixed so all I can do is sell it to someone who could have it repaired, try to get some of my money back out of it, while giving someone a really sweet deal on a nice machine. The engine by itself costs $1,700. This is the larger better built model with the triple blade 48" deck- not the low end Home Depot models. Someone who knows their John Deere's and Kohler engines would appreciate the price I am asking for this. A decent mechanic could possibly find a used trans and replace it themselves and get a terrific deal.

Asking $1,000 as-is OBO, cash only please.

2 tractors 002.jpg

I have a John Deere L130 Automatic Lawn Tractor that I need to sell to the right buyer. Everything works on the mower except the rear end transaxle needs to be replaced. I can't afford the repair (a new trans installed by the dealer is approx. $600) The trans by itself costs $550. The mower is worth about $5,000 being a used mower, and costs $8,000 if bought brand new. So if a buyer had the extra $600 to have the rear end replaced, they would be getting a $5,000 really nice tractor for just under $3,000. It has a Kohler Command 23 HP V-Twin engine that runs great. The PTO works fine and the blades, spindles, all seem to be in good condition. Just needs a transmission. I really love this mower, but I am unemployed and do not have the money to get it fixed so all I can do is sell it to someone who could have it repaired, try to get some of my money back out of it, while giving someone a really sweet deal on a nice machine. The engine by itself costs $1,700. This is the larger better built model with the triple blade 48" deck- not the low end Home Depot models. Someone who knows their John Deere's and Kohler engines would appreciate the price I am asking for this. A decent mechanic could possibly find a used trans and replace it themselves and get a terrific deal.

Asking $2,300 as is OBO, cash only please.

Subby's - I think someone gave you some bad info about the L130. Hopefully you did not pay much for it or can get your money back. In good shape with low hours and good condition that model is worth $1,200 tops (you can buy them all day long for that price), with a rear bagger. It is a slight step above the basic entry level Deere, but is the type sold at Home Depot/Lowes (they now sell the D130). I believe this mower new would have been around $2,400 (could be a little more). The $8,000 and $5,000 numbers would be for a X (400,500,700) series, depending on the year and options, etc.

This model does have the hydro trans and 48" deck which is nice, but a new D140 (most comprable) is $1,999 new (and still has a weak trans like the L130). Not trying to offend or anything, just hoping someone did not rip you off.

Edited by hurstrsq

Subby's, this may nor may not help you as I'm not sure what your issue with the K46 trans is, but thought I would pass along the info (not my write up). Let me know if you need a hand and I'll help you out the best I can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem I had with the tractor was the loss of power to get up even the smallest of inclines after about a half hour of mowing and I knew the tranny was going south on me. A buddy of mine and I dropped the transmission and changed fluid, but to my disappointment I only realized an approximate 20-25% increase in power. Someone wisely recommend I purchase some parts from Tuff Torque and by doing so would have a practically new transmission. So I ordered the recommended parts which included a new filter, cylinder block motor, cylinder block pump, and a tube of sealant at a cost of $152.57 + tax and shipping. Also purchased 2 quarts of Castrol Syntec 5W50 oil for $14.40.

My buddy and I dropped the transmission again, cracked open the case and replaced the parts indicated in the pics, put her back together and installed, did the purging procedure and I swear this tractor now runs better than it did up the steepest of my back yard inclines like they were not even there smile.gif.

Total time on this was 4 hours start to finish with no breaks. I have to admit we were a little concerned as there was one small pin that came out when we removed the cylinder block pump and took us probably a half hour to finally figure where this thing went and how it fit correctley back into the pump. After doing so, it was apparent this tiny pin was what allowed the free wheel lever to operate correctly fing20.gif. Overall the repair was not really that bad, it was just being extremely careful in paying attention to details and maneuvering the pieces back into the case right and in the correct configuration. I had intended to take step by step pics, but working with this in oil covered hands and constantly wiping them, made it impossible to try to keep grabbing the camera. We simply documented the opening of the transmission and then took shots at all angles to insure a proper put back together and it all worked out fine

post-9129-0-99671500-1341342019_thumb.jpg

post-9129-0-25448800-1341342058_thumb.jpg

If you're pondering purchase, Google John Deere L130 first.

Sorry, Subby.

I always google very well in order to price a piece of equipment.

Allow me to provide some information-

Engine Link

The price I listed was from the John Deere Site. I was able to find one on e-bay for $3200, but it did not have the V-Tiwn Kohler engine. I apologize for any confusion, and did not intend to infer that this was an $8,000 machine, other than what I saw listed on the official site. I have been to Home Depot and checked out several (Chinese knock-off's) for about $2500. The average consumer should be aware that the mill thickness of the deck is thinner, the spindles are not as durable, and look under the hood- you'll see a Briggs single cylinder on most of them. The best I can do is provide the link to the Kohler V-Twin 23 HP engine. These engines are very expensive, and if you buy anything from a JD to a Craftsman, you'll notice an approximate 1K dollar difference.

Having said that, I would change my price to $1200 like it is now. I'm not offended by anything anyone has told me. In fact, I appreciate the information yall have provided me, so I can better price the machine closer to its actual value. I'm only leaving the thread up for one more week, then I will probably just part it out, since JD parts are terribly expensive (just a deck shell without spindles or blades is a little over $500. I am also currently looking for a used transmission which I will install and repost as a full mower if I am able to find one soon enough. I will also adjust the price on the first thread. Thanks for catching my mistake, as it was an honest mistake (sort of, since the official site is what I based the 8K on) but I should have probably checked more on e-bay.

Subby's, this may nor may not help you as I'm not sure what your issue with the K46 trans is, but thought I would pass along the info (not my write up). Let me know if you need a hand and I'll help you out the best I can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem I had with the tractor was the loss of power to get up even the smallest of inclines after about a half hour of mowing and I knew the tranny was going south on me. A buddy of mine and I dropped the transmission and changed fluid, but to my disappointment I only realized an approximate 20-25% increase in power. Someone wisely recommend I purchase some parts from Tuff Torque and by doing so would have a practically new transmission. So I ordered the recommended parts which included a new filter, cylinder block motor, cylinder block pump, and a tube of sealant at a cost of $152.57 + tax and shipping. Also purchased 2 quarts of Castrol Syntec 5W50 oil for $14.40.

My buddy and I dropped the transmission again, cracked open the case and replaced the parts indicated in the pics, put her back together and installed, did the purging procedure and I swear this tractor now runs better than it did up the steepest of my back yard inclines like they were not even there smile.gif.

Total time on this was 4 hours start to finish with no breaks. I have to admit we were a little concerned as there was one small pin that came out when we removed the cylinder block pump and took us probably a half hour to finally figure where this thing went and how it fit correctley back into the pump. After doing so, it was apparent this tiny pin was what allowed the free wheel lever to operate correctly fing20.gif. Overall the repair was not really that bad, it was just being extremely careful in paying attention to details and maneuvering the pieces back into the case right and in the correct configuration. I had intended to take step by step pics, but working with this in oil covered hands and constantly wiping them, made it impossible to try to keep grabbing the camera. We simply documented the opening of the transmission and then took shots at all angles to insure a proper put back together and it all worked out fine

I have read a lot about people changing out the fluid to help boost the power, but the results are slim at best. However, they do sell a kit that you can install (it's rather pricey) that will increase the power of the transmission 3 fold. A big problem with hydrostatic transmissions is they can only handle a moderate grade. I forget the actual slope percentage, but it's listed in the manual, and it's only like a 4% grade max. The kits can increase the slope up to 10-12%.

Subby's - I think someone gave you some bad info about the L130. Hopefully you did not pay much for it or can get your money back. In good shape with low hours and good condition that model is worth $1,200 tops (you can buy them all day long for that price), with a rear bagger. It is a slight step above the basic entry level Deere, but is the type sold at Home Depot/Lowes (they now sell the D130). I believe this mower new would have been around $2,400 (could be a little more). The $8,000 and $5,000 numbers would be for a X (400,500,700) series, depending on the year and options, etc.

This model does have the hydro trans and 48" deck which is nice, but a new D140 (most comparable) is $1,999 new (and still has a weak trans like the L130). Not trying to offend or anything, just hoping someone did not rip you off.

No, I did not pay a lot for it, so no worries there. Most of the money I spent went into replacing some parts, a new battery, etc. Check on the engine though, because most JD's that come to me have 19-20 HP Briggs engines on them. A V-Twin Kohler makes all the difference in the price, as they are exceptionally well built engines and very expensive. I'm going to run up to Home Depot today anyway, and while I'm there, I'll check out what they have to make sure I'm pricing this as fair as possible.

I have read a lot about people changing out the fluid to help boost the power, but the results are slim at best. However, they do sell a kit that you can install (it's rather pricey) that will increase the power of the transmission 3 fold. A big problem with hydrostatic transmissions is they can only handle a moderate grade. I forget the actual slope percentage, but it's listed in the manual, and it's only like a 4% grade max. The kits can increase the slope up to 10-12%.

I was more suggesting the parts rather than the fluid change. JD did offer a K66 upgrade, but to get one now is very expensive. Just not worth it.

I was more suggesting the parts rather than the fluid change. JD did offer a K66 upgrade, but to get one now is very expensive. Just not worth it.

Got your PM....wanna talk some turkey?

678-315-8794

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Dropping price to $500 cash. Engine runs great, good deck, etc. Just needs a transmission, or can be parted out for much more than 500. Must sell by this Friday.