18 replies to this topic

#1 smb90

smb90

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

I just completed my FAFSA application online and I was wondering if anyone knew when the deadline was for the college to have that information? This semester I am taking that huge leap and changing my 'program', I am going from a diploma to a degree and I want to make sure I have everything in order to do so.

Does anyone know of any four year colleges that accept 'credits' from Chattahoochee? I wanted to go to Kennesaw, but just recently found out that none of my credits would transfer over and it would be like starting all over again.

*SPAY* *NEUTER* *ADOPT*

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."

~Thomas Paine~

#2 tatertot

tatertot

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

The academic year runs from Fall Semester through Summer Semester. You are fine for the Fall Semester. I just graduated in December from Chatt Tech with my degree in Business Management. The only school that I know that that will take all the credits around here is Southern Poly, but I am not sure what your degree will be in. Some of your degree credits will transfer to Kennesaw, but very few. Things like Algebra, English Comp 1 and 2, Psychology, Accounting are a few of the ones that will transfer. Good luck in your endeavors!
  • smb90 likes this

#3 barrycdog

barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

I know that now they are requiring you fill your IRS Transcript instead of your actual copy of taxes. I like one class finishing my Bachelors at Gainesville State and it may end up being out of pocket. You might want to check Georgia Highlands used to be Floyd College
  • smb90 likes this
"Let every dog wag his own tail." James Addison McMurtrey, Company B, 9th Georgia Battalion Artillery

#4 smb90

smb90

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

The academic year runs from Fall Semester through Summer Semester. You are fine for the Fall Semester. I just graduated in December from Chatt Tech with my degree in Business Management. The only school that I know that that will take all the credits around here is Southern Poly, but I am not sure what your degree will be in. Some of your degree credits will transfer to Kennesaw, but very few. Things like Algebra, English Comp 1 and 2, Psychology, Accounting are a few of the ones that will transfer. Good luck in your endeavors!

CTC called me saying 'Yes you had financial aid for spring and summer but you need to redo it for fall and winter and when you redo it, it will last through to next summer'

I know there is a deadline coming up for the school, I was told it was Monday.. and if that is the case, I am not going to make it in time. :(

Mine is Criminal Justice. Where is Southern Poly?

I know that now they are requiring you fill your IRS Transcript instead of your actual copy of taxes. I like one class finishing my Bachelors at Gainesville State and it may end up being out of pocket. You might want to check Georgia Highlands used to be Floyd College

I just filled out all that goodness. xD
Does Georgia Highlands offer four year degrees?

*SPAY* *NEUTER* *ADOPT*

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."

~Thomas Paine~

#5 babyblues

babyblues

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

The deadline is June 30th at midnight. For any corrections you have until Sept. 23. If you did it online and you let it walk you through getting your taxes submitted online you should be ok. I did my sons last week and got an email the same day or the next day. Good luck and if you need help let me know.

#6 smb90

smb90

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

The deadline is June 30th at midnight. For any corrections you have until Sept. 23. If you did it online and you let it walk you through getting your taxes submitted online you should be ok. I did my sons last week and got an email the same day or the next day. Good luck and if you need help let me know.

I just did it, the only problem is the school won't have it before 3-14 days. :( I suppose I can also wait another semester. No way I can afford to go without it.

I just can't wait to jump from diploma to degree. Something tells me once I finish up here, I am not going to have hardly any troubles as far as work goes.

*SPAY* *NEUTER* *ADOPT*

~Thomas Paine~

#7 babyblues

babyblues

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

I think that you should still be ok. You might want to contact the school next week and ask but if they accept it online until June 30 it would make sense that they know the schools will not receive it before the deadline. I think the deadline is for FAFSA not the school, they get it after FAFSA gets it. I hope it works out for you, good luck.

#8 tatertot

tatertot

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

[quote name='smb90' timestamp='1341100695' post='3657755']
CTC called me saying 'Yes you had financial aid for spring and summer but you need to redo it for fall and winter and when you redo it, it will last through to next summer'

I know there is a deadline coming up for the school, I was told it was Monday.. and if that is the case, I am not going to make it in time. :(

I am pretty sure that you will be fine as I never had any issues. Also, since you used financial aid last semester, they basically know that you will be doing it for the next academic year. If they question you, just let them know that you have completed the FAFSA. Southern Poly is over near the big chicken in Marietta. They offer a few Bachelor of Applied Science degrees.

#9 tatertot

tatertot

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

I just did it, the only problem is the school won't have it before 3-14 days. :( I suppose I can also wait another semester. No way I can afford to go without it.

I just can't wait to jump from diploma to degree. Something tells me once I finish up here, I am not going to have hardly any troubles as far as work goes.

Have you spoken to someone in Financial Aid about the jump to degree classes? If you have not, please do. When I was there the Hope Grant would not pay for degree level classes. I was able to do it because I was on the Hope Scholarship and it paid for my classes. I am not sure if that is still the case.

#10 smb90

smb90

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

Have you spoken to someone in Financial Aid about the jump to degree classes? If you have not, please do. When I was there the Hope Grant would not pay for degree level classes. I was able to do it because I was on the Hope Scholarship and it paid for my classes. I am not sure if that is still the case.

I have, the only thing it stops is the Hope Grant, and I don't need it anymore. If I can get almost finished with my two year and jump ta 4 year I will apply for the Hope Scholarship. However, at the moment I am thinking of just getting my 2 year in Criminal Justice and going back later on. Right now a degree is better than no degree.

*SPAY* *NEUTER* *ADOPT*

~Thomas Paine~

#11 tatertot

tatertot

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

I have, the only thing it stops is the Hope Grant, and I don't need it anymore. If I can get almost finished with my two year and jump ta 4 year I will apply for the Hope Scholarship. However, at the moment I am thinking of just getting my 2 year in Criminal Justice and going back later on. Right now a degree is better than no degree.

Have you ever been to college before? I had at 18 and never thought that would come into play when applying for the Hope Scholarship. Because of this, it took an extra quarter to get the scholarship. It was definitely a great feeling to graduate with honors and it did help me to get a nice raise at work.

#12 smb90

smb90

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

Have you ever been to college before? I had at 18 and never thought that would come into play when applying for the Hope Scholarship. Because of this, it took an extra quarter to get the scholarship. It was definitely a great feeling to graduate with honors and it did help me to get a nice raise at work.

This is my first year I am only lacking the core classes to graduate with a degree.

*SPAY* *NEUTER* *ADOPT*

~Thomas Paine~

#13 Lucky64

Lucky64

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

I just filled out all that goodness. xD
Does Georgia Highlands offer four year degrees?

Southern Poly is in Marietta. My son is going there for 1 year and then transferring to Georgia Tech.

#14 smb90

smb90

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

Southern Poly is in Marietta. My son is going there for 1 year and then transferring to Georgia Tech.

Aww <3 Georgia Tech was where I was wanting to go. It is nothing I can afford at the moment.

Congrats to your son! Posted Image
  • Lucky64 likes this

*SPAY* *NEUTER* *ADOPT*

~Thomas Paine~

#15 Perry Mason

Perry Mason

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Most schools do not make you wait until they have the money in hand to let you start. They will get notification of how much your grant is going to be and they know it doesn't arrive to them until after the semester starts.

You keep saying you are jumping from a diploma to a degree? In my day a college diploma WAS a degree - either BS or BA. Why or how would you be going to a college and get a diploma without getting a degree. You have to have a subject of concentration and that is what your degree is in?

#16 GeorgiaTornado

GeorgiaTornado

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

Mine is Criminal Justice. Where is Southern Poly? Don't bother they don't have one.
Does Georgia Highlands offer four year degrees? No... 2 year

You need to transfer .. TRUST me on this. Either Kennesaw State, Reinhardt or Ga. State.

If you get your 2 year from CTC you can transfer to Reinhardt and have your Bachelor's degree in as little as 16 months. They do accept Pell and HOPE.

Marcy is now teaching at Kennesaw part-time. She is by far the best instructor at CTC. Hands down...

We may have classes together.... :ninja:

Edited by GeorgiaTornado, 02 July 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#17 Barbed wire

Barbed wire

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

Most schools do not make you wait until they have the money in hand to let you start. They will get notification of how much your grant is going to be and they know it doesn't arrive to them until after the semester starts.

You keep saying you are jumping from a diploma to a degree? In my day a college diploma WAS a degree - either BS or BA. Why or how would you be going to a college and get a diploma without getting a degree. You have to have a subject of concentration and that is what your degree is in?

I was wondering the same thing. I am guessing she means going from an Associates to a Bachelor's degree. As Chattahoochee does offer two year Associates Degrees. ??
Love never ends; it just changes shape.

#18 GeorgiaTornado

GeorgiaTornado

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

No. CTC does offer diploma classes. All you get is a piece of paper saying you went for 1 year..and here is your piece of paper. It's not worth the paper it's written on.

Most people only take diploma classes if they are currently on the job working in that field and they want classes improving their skills in that area. If you are taking a diploma program at CTC in criminal justice...all that will help you do is possibly get a job at the jail. But you can get a job at the jail or juvie without that piece of paper.

#19 charjaynes

charjaynes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

Georgia Highlands College is in downtown Dallas. They offer a 4 year degree-BSN in nursing. Classes will transfer from Georgia Highlands to Kennesaw or West GA or any other public school in Georgia because they're all part of the USG (university system of Georgia). All of the other degrees that GHC offers are associate's degrees (2 year). You can either complete some core classes and transfer or complete your associate's degree then transfer. The priority deadline for GHC's FAFSA is July 1. That's just the priority deadline. They will accept FAFSAs after July 1. I work at GHC, so if you have any questions, please PM me. Financial Aid can be incredibly confusing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics