Paulding.com

What have you done Mr.Austin?

:good:

Here are my observations and this is NOTHING to do against Mr. Austin, I do not know him.

In the last few years this is what our county has:

More Crime

Fewer Jobs

A sidewalk to nowhere

A pretty water fountain that is not needed

A New Courthouse that is not even halfway used

Dirtier Streets

NO New Businesses

I am not saying this is Mr.Austins fault, BUT since you state that YOU have made positive change in OUR County...please tell me what the change has been.

Saw on TV where we borrowed nearly 3 million to study if the county needs water.

Floated a bond for movie productions in the county.

Serious????

Unbelievable.

Here are my observations and this is NOTHING to do against Mr. Austin, I do not know him.

More Crime

Fewer Jobs

A sidewalk to nowhere

A pretty water fountain that is not needed

A New Courthouse that is not even halfway used

Dirtier Streets

NO New Businesses

I am not saying this is Mr.Austins fault, BUT since you state that YOU have made positive change in OUR County...please tell me what the change has been.

I will assume we are talking about the Commission Chairman and not the Mayor of Dallas, since you are referring to a positive change in our "county."

With that assumption... "The sidewalk to nowhere" is Dallas city limits, not county.

"The pretty water fountain that is not needed." Are you referring to the one heading away from the square on Main St.@ S. Main St?

If so, that is also Dallas city limits and not county. That whole area around the old courthouse was Dallas city renovation, not county.

"A New Courthouse that is not even halfway used."

Please explain this. Last time I checked, the courthouse was being completely used.

Not defending or promoting anyone... but two of those have nothing to do with the county commission and the courthouse

one seems to be an untrue statement, unless I am unaware of some major area of the courthouse that is just sitting idle.

I will assume we are talking about the Commission Chairman and not the Mayor of Dallas, since you are referring to a positive change in our "county."

With that assumption... "The sidewalk to nowhere" is Dallas city limits, not county.

"The pretty water fountain that is not needed." Are you referring to the one heading away from the square on Main St.@ S. Main St?

If so, that is also Dallas city limits and not county. That whole area around the old courthouse was Dallas city renovation, not county.

"A New Courthouse that is not even halfway used."

Please explain this. Last time I checked, the courthouse was being completely used.

Not defending or promoting anyone... but two of those have nothing to do with the county commission and the courthouse

one seems to be an untrue statement, unless I am unaware of some major area of the courthouse that is just sitting idle.

Thank you for clearing that up, I always "include" the City of Dallas as part of the County and forget that they are a seperate entity.

As far as the Courthouse being half used..........the area to the right of the actual Courthouse (where you pay your tag) all of those offices that you walk by are empty. That is a big waste of space.

• Like 1

More Crime You might want to ask Mr.Gulledge about that, I am sure he will tell you that in a down economy petty crime goes up.

Fewer Jobs Again he is responsible for the national economy, or the fact the county put all it' eggs in the home construction business for 12 years

A sidewalk to nowhere side walk to nowhere is in the Dallas city limits, you have the wrong brother

A pretty water fountain that is not needed see answer number 2

A New Courthouse that is not even halfway used, courthouse was built by previous administration, not too many companies looking to lease a courthouse to pay a bond

Dirtier Streets You should have called him and let him know you wanted your taxes raised to purchase the equipment and take on a lifetime employee from the day they are hired till the day they die and the county can stop paying their retirement

NO New Businesses,You are absolutely wrong, all you have to do is drive down hwy 278 and watch the p.com news there have been 3 companies above the retail that pay living wages

On top of that when he took office 3 projects were on the books, a fire station and library along with a park were in progress, over a million dollars had been spent on plans before the foundations were poured.

He took these back to the drawing board, had them rebuilt and saved the county tax payers millions while continuing meet the obligations.

He blew the dust off of the reservoir project had the studies completed and is actively trying to fund it.

He has actively researched the infrastructure needs of manufacturing companies, light industrial, and warehouse, to bring companies here that pay good wages to offset the housing failure and put people back to work.

Contrary to popular belief there is a profitable company at the airport helping to pay back that debt, with another company on the way.

We took out a bond for the movie studio because the state was offering incredible incentives to production companies here in the state, we knew that companies were very interested in this area, they were already making movies here, we could immediately take advantage of the opportunity with almost zero infrastructure investment. The studio is currently under contract.

We have covered every one of these things in the news. We already have businesses that are here for the movie studio, we already have businesses that are here for the airport.

Looks like a lot of hard work to make lemonade to me.

On top of everything he could have taken the easy way out of many problems by raising our taxes and blaming the previous administration and the economy. He made some very tough decisions and if you think for one minute he enjoyed letting people go and giving furloughs your just wrong.

I am all for someone else doing it better, but I have yet to meet them.

• Like 5

Thank you for clearing that up, I always "include" the City of Dallas as part of the County and forget that they are a seperate entity.

As far as the Courthouse being half used..........the area to the right of the actual Courthouse (where you pay your tag) all of those offices that you walk by are empty. That is a big waste of space.

Look at the bright side of that. If there were bureaucrats sitting in those offices, they'd be figuring out ways to make your life more difficult and spending more of your tax dollars. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

But you don't see all the offices that are not empty.

That is a HUGE building and it was built to accommodate future expansion.

It was built with offices being empty in mind. Would you rather it be built that way or build another multi-million

dollar building a few years down the road when it is over crowded?

You have to remember, there were a LOT of layoff's of county employee's for budget reasons,

which left space being available.

Look at the bright side of that. If there were bureaucrats sitting in those offices, they'd be figuring out ways to make your life more difficult and spending more of your tax dollars. :rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl:

• Like 2

But you don't see all the offices that are not empty.

That is a HUGE building and it was built to accommodate future expansion.

It was built with offices being empty in mind. Would you rather it be built that way or build another multi-million

dollar building a few years down the road when it is over crowded?

You have to remember, there were a LOT of layoff's of county employee's for budget reasons,

which left space being available.

:rofl: :rofl:

That building instantly had a LOT of unused space. It seems that the smarter move would have been to build the main building with extra space and have enough land to build onto the existing building or a new structure. It's not like Paulding Co was poised for some big explosion needing double the staff.... OR they could easily do like Cobb is doing and refurbish ugly arse shopping centers and re purposing them. Lot's of options were available rather than building it so big....

Edited by All I Hear is Blah Blah Blah

Okay, you previous few posters have made your point.........I stand corrected on some of my issues.

BUT back to my original question......WHAT has he done? Really?

I want to know because the election is coming up and I need to know how to cast my vote.

That building instantly had a LOT of unused space. It seems that the smarter move would have been to build the main building with extra space and have enough land to build onto the existing building or a new structure. It's not like Paulding Co was poised for some big explosion needing double the staff.... OR they could easily do like Cobb is doing and refurbish ugly arse shopping centers and re purposing them. Lot's of options were available rather than building it so big....

No, actually, it wouldn't have been a smarter move.

When you build something, like a building, it's almost always more cost effective to build it larger during initial build time

than to go back later and add too it.

When you go back and add too it, you have to tear off part of what you build (and paid for).

And almost always, time, labor, and materials are more expensive. The price of labor and materials rarely go down.

The old courthouse and annex building were so over-crowded, you couldn't turn around inside of it.

It lasted a long time. When you build a new facility that encompasses BOTH of those buildings and several other county departments

that were in separate buildings, you build it bigger... and you build for future expansion.

• Like 1

No, actually, it wouldn't have been a smarter move.

When you build something, like a building, it's almost always more cost effective to build it larger during initial build time

than to go back later and add too it.

When you go back and add too it, you have to tear off part of what you build (and paid for).

And almost always, time, labor, and materials are more expensive. The price of labor and materials rarely go down.

The old courthouse and annex building were so over-crowded, you couldn't turn around inside of it.

It lasted a long time. When you build a new facility that encompasses BOTH of those buildings and several other county departments

that were in separate buildings, you build it bigger... and you build for future expansion.

Get real, you don't even have to connect the buildings other than a little piece of concrete walkway. And why do they all have to be in one spot? I'll answer that, THEY DON'T. They worked perfectly fine in a few different buildings around town. And yes, build for future use, but not to the stupid level they did. Sorry but there is NO way you will convince me that that building size is even remotely needed or even if the economy kept booming that they would have needed it in the next ten years. NO WAY.

While my mind is on getting ready for the debate tonight, I have to note that I'm still working on a handful of videos including the groundbreaking for the road extension from Cedarcrest and Seven Hills to GA 92 ... which ought to be a prominent part of this topic - i.e. things David has done.

Heck I'm posting this because I'm just so far behind that I'm thinking they think I just plum forgot. Not so ... even though it happened a week ago.

pubby

Correct me if I am wrong but...... Wasnt the courthouse and the county offices purchased and built PRIOR to Mr Austin taking office? I think that he has done a pretty good job at dealing with a government that has lost a massive amount of income due to the economy collapsing and Mr Sherrin having practically giving this county over to HOME BUILDERS in an attempt to create the bedroom community that has little tax base yet has a population that likes to think we have the same opportunities as Cobb or any other county with a corporate tax base.. PC was doomed from the start about 15 years ago when the foresight was not given to any commercial business in an attempt to appease the masses that do not like change but want MORE EVERY YEAR... Its a small microcosm of our "we want it with out any sacrifice from me" mentality.

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong but...... Wasnt the courthouse and the county offices purchased and built PRIOR to Mr Austin taking office? I think that he has done a pretty good job at dealing with a government that has lost a massive amount of income due to the economy collapsing and Mr Sherrin having practically giving this county over to HOME BUILDERS in an attempt to create the bedroom community that has little tax base yet has a population that likes to think we have the same opportunities as Cobb or any other county with a corporate tax base.. PC was doomed from the start about 15 years ago when the foresight was not given to any commercial business in an attempt to appease the masses that do not like change but want MORE EVERY YEAR... Its a small microcosm of our "we want it with out any sacrifice from me" mentality.

You are correct, but I never said anything in regards to Mr. Austin, I knew it was Jerry Shearin's creation so I am confused if there was a question.... :unsure: I was stating that the courthouse was WAY overbuilt but apparently Nitro disagrees. That's ok, we all know I'm right and he's not so we can let him think what he wants.... :D

Get real,

I visit many building that are overbuilt with extra space. It's common sense to build for some type of growth. Who is going to build with the thought of downsizing? I'm not sure when the new complex was designed and architected but I'd think it was long before we knew we'd be in the economic situation we’re in now.

I visit many building that are overbuilt with extra space. It's common sense to build for some type of growth. Who is going to build with the thought of downsizing? I'm not sure when the new complex was designed and architected but I'd think it was long before we knew we'd be in the economic situation we're in now.

The big difference is most of those buildings that are built with extra space actually had the money to do it.... Not a smart use of money and not at all what was needed, it was what was wanted. Big difference. They could have built a much cheaper, less grand facility and saved a LOT of money and functioned just as well as what they have. But hey, at least we have the wow factor now, that's something isn't it.... :wacko:

The big difference is most of those buildings that are built with extra space actually had the money to do it.... Not a smart use of money and not at all what was needed, it was what was wanted. Big difference. They could have built a much cheaper, less grand facility and saved a LOT of money and functioned just as well as what they have. But hey, at least we have the wow factor now, that's something isn't it.... :wacko:

Our population is well over 147,000 and still growing even in this economy, we are obligated as a county to meet the needs of all these people, especially judiciously. You are not allowed to let people rot in jail because you only have one or 2 courtrooms, We had not even started into a recession when many of the new government buildings were started.

I don't like a lot of things about the recession, but people trying to hang local politicians for things beyond their control are not right.

I was not fond of Mr. Shearin towards the end of his term but I will admit I benefited greatly from the growth he created.

Our population is well over 147,000 and still growing even in this economy, we are obligated as a county to meet the needs of all these people, especially judiciously. You are not allowed to let people rot in jail because you only have one or 2 courtrooms, We had not even started into a recession when many of the new government buildings were started.

I don't like a lot of things about the recession, but people trying to hang local politicians for things beyond their control are not right.

I was not fond of Mr. Shearin towards the end of his term but I will admit I benefited greatly from the growth he created.

It's truly amazing how other counties a good bit larger than us seem to function fine (maybe not ideally) but function nonetheless with facilities MUCH smaller. The courthouse was a waste of our money and I don't feel bad for hanging a politician out for it rather than hanging myself out for having to help pick up the tab....

Get real, you don't even have to connect the buildings other than a little piece of concrete walkway.

Ummm.... YOU are the one who stated, "It seems that the smarter move would have been to build the main building with extra space and have enough land to build onto the existing building...

And why do they all have to be in one spot? I'll answer that, THEY DON'T. They worked perfectly fine in a few different buildings around town.

And the citizen's of the county bitched like crazy because they had to drive all over the county to get things accomplished.

And yes, build for future use, but not to the stupid level they did. Sorry but there is NO way you will convince me that that building size is even remotely needed or even if the economy kept booming that they would have needed it in the next ten years. NO WAY.

I don't care to convince you. But have you been throughout the building? Do you know specifically how many offices are dormant?

I'm guess you haven't.

Maybe what you don't know is that there are other departments that are not in that building as of yet.

There are other departments in the county that will be moving in to that building, that just haven't done so yet.

Just because you see an office that is unused doesn't mean it doesn't have plans to be used.

Ummm.... YOU are the one who stated, "It seems that the smarter move would have been to build the main building with extra space and have enough land to build onto the existing building...

And the citizen's of the county bitched like crazy because they had to drive all over the county to get things accomplished.

I don't care to convince you. But have you been throughout the building? Do you know specifically how many offices are dormant?

I'm guess you haven't.

Maybe what you don't know is that there are other departments that are not in that building as of yet.

There are other departments in the county that will be moving in to that building, that just haven't done so yet.

Just because you see an office that is unused doesn't mean it doesn't have plans to be used.

I am glad you don't care to convince because you're wrong and I'm right so that would be an impossible feat... :drinks:

You'll get no argument from me on being 'grand.'

Like I said, I'm not defending the previous or present administration or denouncing them...

But a larger facility was indeed needed at the time they were planned and built.

They built for future expansion.

As for the "grandness" of the facility, we can agree.. it's a very nice facility, but there's a lot of wasteful money in being 'nice' as

to just being a plain facility that gets the job done and still leaves room for expansion.

• Like 1

You'll get no argument from me on being 'grand.'

Like I said, I'm not defending the previous or present administration or denouncing them...

But a larger facility was indeed needed at the time they were planned and built.

They built for future expansion.

As for the "grandness" of the facility, we can agree.. it's a very nice facility, but there's a lot of wasteful money in being 'nice' as

to just being a plain facility that gets the job done and still leaves room for expansion.

OK, I will take that agreement.... :drinks:

While my mind is on getting ready for the debate tonight, I have to note that I'm still working on a handful of videos including the groundbreaking for the road extension from Cedarcrest and Seven Hills to GA 92 ... which ought to be a prominent part of this topic - i.e. things David has done.

pubby

So more vehicles will be on an already crowded 92?

I really don't see the need for this road..............at one time there was a road that went all the way thru and connected to old stilesboro road.

It's truly amazing how other counties a good bit larger than us seem to function fine (maybe not ideally) but function nonetheless with facilities MUCH smaller. The courthouse was a waste of our money and I don't feel bad for hanging a politician out for it rather than hanging myself out for having to help pick up the tab....

If you are going to hang a politician responsible for the new courthouse you need to be hanging Jerry Shearin. David Austin didn't have anything to do with these buildings.

If you are going to hang a politician responsible for the new courthouse you need to be hanging Jerry Shearin. David Austin didn't have anything to do with these buildings.

For the forty ellebenth miliionzth time, I KNOW that David Austin wasn't responsible for the courthouse... Sheesh people.... :wacko:

And CreativeOne, You KNOW he's right. And it's too late I already have it printed and framed! :yahoo:

People, THIS /\ is what you missed, it's not NEWS, you have all known this for a very long time.... Dang, I have to do everything around here! dry.gif

Thanks for clearing that up.

I was worried that I missed something good.:pardon:

Carry on.