Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
I'm Floored

Graduation & Traffic

We have a senior graduating Saturday morning. We know to arrive very early for parking. However, we have many elderly who want to attend, and they just can't wait 2 1/2 hours prior and sit through the entire ceremony, too.

We know shuttles will be offered from nearby schools after the high school lot is full. Does anyone have any experience? I would love to be able to tell the grandparents how to plan and just catch a bus without having to wait too terribly long.

TIA

I will tell you this....Last year the South Paulding traffic was so bad that it made news.

I left my home (10 miles away) at 4pm and did not get into the school until after 6, the lot was then closed because it was full.

They bused people in and several of the parents missed seeing their kids because the buses took a long time getting there.

With that being said, go very early.

Congratulations on your graduate.

Which school? Each one has it's own traffic and parking challenges.

We're at South. I know it has been a nightmare in years past. We'll be there early, I just wanted to be able to tell the grands a certain time to meet at one of the other schools and shuttle over. (That would avoid them waiting for hours on end.)

I am concerned for their health. And my sanity. Some of our parents are GRUMPY! :lol:

Grandma can't go to graduation . Too hot to sit outside for so long.They said on the news that many people got ill from the heat this morning at McEchran (sp?) High ceremony

We are going really early to get a seat and be able to park so my father doesn't have far to walk. When my son get's his diploma, I will bring my father home and then go back and take some more pictures with my son. Bring water, frozen grapes and dress as lite as possible.

We're at South. I know it has been a nightmare in years past. We'll be there early, I just wanted to be able to tell the grands a certain time to meet at one of the other schools and shuttle over. (That would avoid them waiting for hours on end.)

I am concerned for their health. And my sanity. Some of our parents are GRUMPY! :lol:

This is a tough one. One of the problems is the longer they wait to get there, the harder it will be to find a seat (or to find you saving their seat.) Then you're still talking about nearly 2 hours for the ceremony. Finally, fighting the crowds trying to get back to their cars.

We are going really early to get a seat and be able to park so my father doesn't have far to walk. When my son get's his diploma, I will bring my father home and then go back and take some more pictures with my son. Bring water, frozen grapes and dress as lite as possible.

Good luck with that. If you car isn't blocked, the traffic out and back will be a killer. You will have to park at one of the outlying parking lots and hope a shuttle is still running. You may not be able to make it back at all.

This is a tough one. One of the problems is the longer they wait to get there, the harder it will be to find a seat (or to find you saving their seat.) Then you're still talking about nearly 2 hours for the ceremony. Finally, fighting the crowds trying to get back to their cars.

Good luck with that. If you car isn't blocked, the traffic out and back will be a killer. You will have to park at one of the outlying parking lots and hope a shuttle is still running. You may not be able to make it back at all.

Either way, he will get home whether he drives my truck home and I hitch a ride with my son. My son is H, so dad shouldn't have any problem leaving.

Is it possible that the school would allow you to take the grandparents in early and allow them to sit inside the air conditioned building?

South was truly a nightmare last year. Hopefully they learned something and things will get better. I was lucky because I worked there so I had a parking space. However, it still took nearly an hour to get to the parking lot from my house, normally a ten minute trip. I was also there early so I got to see my son graduate. Some people didn't get to see their kids graduate because they had to park and shuttle and didn't allow for the time it actually takes. Like the others said, go early...I can't stress that enough. Take cushions to sit on too. The bleachers get hard!

• Like 1

Our daughter graduated from South in 10..let's just say it was a nightmare!!!!! We got there at 8 am and got seats....we sweated our behinds off waiting in the sun!!! My best friend and her family were told to park at Austin Middle and get the shuttle (they came a little later than us) Well they never made it to the high school. Not enough shuttles for the amount of folks needing a ride. The trip home was an adventure!! There has to be a better way to do it...not sure what but the parents and immediate family surely should be able to see their graduate get that diploma after all the years of hard work! Maybe they should go to the "ticket" idea...keep the circus down some??

My niece is also graduatiing from South in the morning. My sister, who is a bus driver, told me that they will use buses to transport and one of the access roads to the school will be blocked off early enough to allow the buses to be able to get in to the school to drop people off. This is why people missed the ceremony last year. Although buses were used, they could not get to the school due to the traffic.

With that being said, my sister also told me that the buses will only be going as far as the entrance to the school. People will have to walk from there to the stadium. That's a pretty long walk, especially for the elderly. Most school buses are not air conditioned either and tomorrow is supposed to be a hot day. I know the ceremony starts early but it will be hotter when it's over.

Have you thought about videotaping the event for them to watch later in a more comfortable setting?

Oh, and congratulations to you and your graduate!! :yahoo:

Our daughter graduated from South in 10..let's just say it was a nightmare!!!!! We got there at 8 am and got seats....we sweated our behinds off waiting in the sun!!! My best friend and her family were told to park at Austin Middle and get the shuttle (they came a little later than us) Well they never made it to the high school. Not enough shuttles for the amount of folks needing a ride. The trip home was an adventure!! There has to be a better way to do it...not sure what but the parents and immediate family surely should be able to see their graduate get that diploma after all the years of hard work! Maybe they should go to the "ticket" idea...keep the circus down some??

I agree. It just seems like for the comfort of everyone to would be easier to give each senior a set number of tickets and have the ceremony in an air-conditioned facility large enough to accommodate a crowd (I know some might have a problem with this, but my first thought would someplace like West Ridge Church.) I can certainly understand the sentimentality of having the ceremony in the school stadium, but if you have to show up 2 hours beforehand and sit in the heat just to get a good seat, sit through another 2 or more hours of the ceremony at least make it more comfortable for all involved.

I agree. It just seems like for the comfort of everyone to would be easier to give each senior a set number of tickets and have the ceremony in an air-conditioned facility large enough to accommodate a crowd (I know some might have a problem with this, but my first thought would someplace like West Ridge Church.) I can certainly understand the sentimentality of having the ceremony in the school stadium, but if you have to show up 2 hours beforehand and sit in the heat just to get a good seat, sit through another 2 or more hours of the ceremony at least make it more comfortable for all involved.

I can't understand why a school would allow just any amount of people to show up for a graduation. That's setting yourself up for failure.

Who is going to foot that bill?

Anyway my son graduated last year from South and we must've been the only ones without problems. We caught the shuttle at Nebo Elem because it was the least crowded and we were there within plenty of time and only walked from the front of the school to the stadium. Caught the shuttle back and got our car without problem. we only sat for about 30 mins before ceremonies started

I grew up in Cobb, and we had our graduation ceremony at KSU, many other schools had it at church's. There aren't many school's in Cobb that do it at their stadium due to their large size, and they do a ticket count (each senior got around 5 or 6 tickets depending on the venue). It worked out pretty well and was in the AC.

I wonder if the Dallas theater is large enough to host these, or even Chattahoochee tech. They could stagger them morning and evening.

There is no way I would try to take elderly people or infants to these things. There is usually a long walk from parking and then sitting in the heat way too long.

Who is going to foot that bill?

Anyway my son graduated last year from South and we must've been the only ones without problems. We caught the shuttle at Nebo Elem because it was the least crowded and we were there within plenty of time and only walked from the front of the school to the stadium. Caught the shuttle back and got our car without problem. we only sat for about 30 mins before ceremonies started

Actually, Westridge has offered the church for graduation. I don't believe any payment was expected. Westridge wants to be community resource. I don't really know why it has not been utilized....unless the Admin is afraid of lawsuits for using a church....or possibly not enough room without limiting guests. I'm thinking the sanctuary will hold maybe 5000? More could sit in other areas and see it through a live feed, but maybe it's still not enough? And then, if one school used it, would the others get to? They would have to spread the graduations out over two or three days....or run them back to back. I think now, there are two on Friday night, two Saturday morning....???? and one Saturday afternoon/evening? I haven't even checked this year. Anyway, Westridge has invited the county to use the building for graduation.

I had no problem getting in or out! I parked near the stadium. From my parking space to the light took about 1 minutes. Sat at the light for about 5 minutes then just cruised on home. This is right after the graduation and me staying and taking pictures afterwards. Oh this was EPHS.

I like that Paulding County keeps with tradition and still graduates on their football fields. They do this so that as many people who want to be there can. Seating is on both sides of the stadium. I feel South Paulding has gone to extreme efforts to get everyone there who wants to come.

I think families of graduates need to plan ahead a little better. Check with the school in advance to see what arrangements have been made and plan accordingly. I have had 2 different nieces graduate recently. One at SPHS this morning and the other at PCHS last year. Both of my sisters planned big family and friends parties for the girls after the ceremony and left it up to us whether we wanted to battle the crowds to attend the ceremony or just wait and come to the party. I didn't attend either ceremony but had a great time with my niece at her party last year and am looking forward to another great time this afternoon. I chose to not battle the traffic and heat but I would also choose not to drive any distance to a ceremony elsewhere. One of my dearest friends has a niece graduating from Lithia Springs High School this afternoon/evening and they have to go all the way to West Georgia College. She is not happy about that either.

I will also add that when I graduated in 1980 from PCHS on the football field, their was such a crowd and chaos that afterwards I couldn't even find most of my aunts and uncles and didn't get to see them until the party at my house afterwards. Same thing with cousins who graduated from Osborne, North Cobb, and Parkview High schools over the years. Though Cobb and Gwinnett had their ceremonies at venues away from the schools, there again was such a crowd and such chaos when it was over that there were times we didn't see my cousins until their party afterwards.

As far as being able to see them walk up and actually accept their diploma, the event was videoed and played during the party for all to enjoy.

Works for us! :yahoo: :drinks: :yahoo:

GO RACHEL!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if the Dallas theater is large enough to host these, or even Chattahoochee tech. They could stagger them morning and evening.

There is no way I would try to take elderly people or infants to these things. There is usually a long walk from parking and then sitting in the heat way too long.

Nope, neither is even close to being able to accomodate the crowds who show at graduation.

How was Easts?

There were a lot of people who could not follow rules at Pauldings. Not a serious graduation.

I Agree.My son graduated from PCHS and we couldn't even hear his name being called.

Are kids required to participate in these boondoggles?

I dont think it's mandatory, but after going to school for 12 years, you can't blame the kids and parents for wanting to have a big ceremony/celebration.

I rode by Harrison High in Cobb this afternoon and noticed on their electronic sign that they were going to have their graduation ceremony streamed live on their website. I have no idea how difficult it would be to do something similar at the Paulding schools, but it might be something that could be looked at.

Obviously, I know parents would want to be there live and in person, but I'm looking at it from the perspective of the elderly, the sick, or those that just can't handle the heat or the traffic.

I think they should use Westridge, also.

I saw people getting sick left and right today at SPHS. Some people were even carried off on stretchers.

I am sunburned very badly and I had on plenty of sunscreen.

I also spent $27.00 on bottled water for my family.

It was a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I think they should use Westridge, also.

I saw people getting sick left and right today at SPHS. Some people were even carried off on stretchers.

I am sunburned very badly and I had on plenty of sunscreen.

I also spent $27.00 on bottled water for my family.

It was a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is exactly what happened at East! The elderly were leaving, some right after their grandchilds name was called. My father left (73) before the speechs were done. His face was bright red (not a sunburn) he was getting dizzy, his arms were secreting (his a diabetic). He went to the truck once for air conditioning, another time, him and my bestfriend and her husband, myself, stood under a tree in the parking lot. When they came back, he was slowly going down hill. They brought him home and had to help him walk to their car.

I came home sunburnt as well. My daughter and her friend as well as myself was able to watch my son graduate. After his name was called, I had to sit in the truck until it was time for them to toss their caps in the air.

It was too much, I was sick all day from the heat. Headache, didn't want to eat, just drank. They really need to come up with something else. Thank God my daughter has another 2 years to go.

They had the parking lot that faces EP Drive which is near the football field roped off for handicap and I was lucky to be able to park there for my father. When my bestfriend and her husband took him home, they were parked where the buses park.

My bestfriend couldn't handle the heat and after dropping off my father at home they went home. She even said they should hold it at night like they do with other counties.

I jumped the curb outside the school and yelled at my cop buddy till he let me out, of course he threatened the shoot me if I didn't quit yelling at him but he was just kidding-I think. :unsure: :pardon: :rofl: