23 replies to this topic

#1 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Now that I FINALLY managed to get through the 50 Shades series, I'm in need of something new to read.
(worse $24 I ever spent)

I'm open to all recommendations and genres!!
Whacha reading out there??

Edited by Blondiega1, 25 May 2012 - 09:44 AM.

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#2 NY Gal

NY Gal

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

Just read My name is Memory. Loved it...... Also, Kindred by Octavia Butler. If you like the time travelres wife, you will like both of these.
Posted Image
I may be a Yankee....but I am a NICE Yankee....and there are worse things I could be....right?[/size]

There are no strangers, just friends we haven't met yet!"

Colleen Ann Deloughery 6/4/60-9/11/01

#3 mimosaflower

mimosaflower

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

If you like "historical mystery fiction with a bit of supernatural", try the Detective Ian Rutledge Series by Charles Todd. The books are set after World War I, Ian Rutledge is a veteran of the War and he went through a bunch of bad stuff. He is now a Police Detective. Ian was the cause of his best friend Hamish dying in the war...now he is being "haunted" by the voice of Hamish in his mind. Hamish helps him solve the mysteries but of course he has to keep Hamish a secret because people would think he is insane. The reader is left to wonder if Ian really IS insane or if ghost of Hamish is real. The mysteries themselves are interesting also. It's better to read them in order because you can follow the Ian/Hamish thing better.

Edited by mimosaflower, 25 May 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#4 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

Thanks!

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#5 smb90

smb90

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Now that I FINALLY managed to get through the 50 Shades series, I'm in need of something new to read.
(worse $24 I ever spent)

I'm open to all recommendations and genres!!
Whacha reading out there??

If you enjoy Murder-Mystery check out anything by Karin Slaughter...they all eventually tie together, but I can't remember the name of her first book.
For fantasy/romance I recommend the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlene Harris.
I also liked Lost & Found by Jacqueline Sheehan. She wrote another called Now & Then, but it just wasn't as good to me.
11/22/63 by Steven King is proving to be very worth reading, though I haven't finished it yet.
I could go on and on. :)

*SPAY* *NEUTER* *ADOPT*

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."

~Thomas Paine~

#6 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

If you enjoy Murder-Mystery check out anything by Karin Slaughter...they all eventually tie together, but I can't remember the name of her first book.
For fantasy/romance I recommend the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlene Harris.
I also liked Lost & Found by Jacqueline Sheehan. She wrote another called Now & Then, but it just wasn't as good to me.
11/22/63 by Steven King is proving to be very worth reading, though I haven't finished it yet.
I could go on and on. :)

I've read everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING Stephen King as written.
11/22/63 is King at his best. LOVED IT!!
  • smb90 likes this

#7 MissSophie

MissSophie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

I love anything written by Pat Conroy.

#8 pugmama

pugmama

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

I would also recommend A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. 2nd in the series comes out next month... I can't wait!

#9 Dana

Dana

PEACE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,560 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

I love anything by Harlan Coben. They have quite a few of his books at Wally World that you can peruse to see if your interested. The endings are always a jaw dropper, never what you expect.

There but for the grace of God, go I.

#10 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

I would recommend "Code of Misconduct."

Oops. By C.A. Griffith.

#11 retiredteacher

retiredteacher

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

How about "Make Way for Ducklings?"

RIP sweet Ashton. We will never forget you.

#12 smb90

smb90

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

I've read everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING Stephen King as written.
11/22/63 is King at his best. LOVED IT!!

<3 Another Stephen King fan. <3

Have you check out his son's writing? His pen name is Joe Hill. :)

*SPAY* *NEUTER* *ADOPT*

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."

~Thomas Paine~

#13 scuffy

scuffy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'll Walk Alone Mary Higgins Clark is a very good book

#14 Paulding Yankee

Paulding Yankee

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'm reading Kill Grandma for Me by Jim Defelice. I'm a true crime junky... :ninja:

#15 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

How about "Make Way for Ducklings?"

:rofl:
I could WRITE that one!

<3 Another Stephen King fan. <3

Have you check out his son's writing? His pen name is Joe Hill. :)

No. Is he good?

#16 JerryLovedLSU

JerryLovedLSU

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

The Rising Tide by Jeff Shaara.

Good if you like WWII books.

#17 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Just finished a book called Gold Diggers. It's about the Alaskan gold Rush and how that part of the country really hasn't changed much since those days.

Up next is Say It Ain't So, Joe!: The True Story of Shoeless Joe Jackson by Donald Gropman and Alan M. Dershowitz

Posted Image
"If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go....if they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, then send me to hell or Salt Lake City it would be about the same to me." - Uncle Kracker

#18 RhondaW

RhondaW

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

I could WRITE that one!

No. Is he good?

Joe Hill is very good. I have read everything he has written.
Heart Shaped Box
20th Century Ghosts (anthology)
Horns
All excellent :)
I think we have most of them at the store right now.
  • smb90 likes this
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.  ~~~~~  &amp;quot;A room without a book, is like a body without a soul&amp;quot;  ~Cicero ~~~~~~ I dream of  a world...where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.&lt;br /&gt;&amp;quot;Life is short. Don't be an asshole&amp;quot;~Jenilyn

#19 katcol

katcol

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Have you read any Anne Rice books? Historical paranormal. I read The Witching Hour, Lasher, and Taltos...in that order. They are chronological. A lot of detail to remember during the book but the story is interesting.

Recently read the 10 books by James Patterson of the Women's Mystery Murder Club. Chronological as well. Murder mystery..duh. :D
  • smb90 likes this
Posted Image

#20 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,700 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

I am reading:
"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#21 Póg mo thóin

Póg mo thóin

author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

ne of my publishers is having a 50% off sale through Monday. All their titles (including new releases) are 50% off.

lyricalpress.com (NSFW)

#22 smb90

smb90

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

I could WRITE that one!

No. Is he good?

I enjoy his books. Him and his father just wrote one together called Throttle, I haven't had a chance to check it out lately.
I have also heard his wife is an author, but I haven't checked out anything by her.
To me...nothing tops Stephen King, though Richard Laymon really gives him a run for his money. :)

PS: You should get a Goodreads account if you don't already have one. :)

Joe Hill is very good. I have read everything he has written.
Heart Shaped Box
20th Century Ghosts (anthology)
Horns
All excellent :)
I think we have most of them at the store right now.

Do you guys have Throttle? I came in today to see you guys, but you had already closed up shop for the day.

Have you read any Anne Rice books? Historical paranormal. I read The Witching Hour, Lasher, and Taltos...in that order. They are chronological. A lot of detail to remember during the book but the story is interesting.

Recently read the 10 books by James Patterson of the Women's Mystery Murder Club. Chronological as well. Murder mystery..duh. :D

I love Anne Rice. <3

I have really been meaning to read the Women's Mystery Murder Club! I just got the tenth one, but I am so behind on my reading list it isn't even funny!

Edited by smb90, 28 May 2012 - 07:58 PM.

*SPAY* *NEUTER* *ADOPT*

~Thomas Paine~

#23 RhondaW

RhondaW

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

I enjoy his books. Him and his father just wrote one together called Throttle, I haven't had a chance to check it out lately.
I have also heard his wife is an author, but I haven't checked out anything by her.
To me...nothing tops Stephen King, though Richard Laymon really gives him a run for his money. :)

PS: You should get a Goodreads account if you don't already have one. :)

Do you guys have Throttle? I came in today to see you guys, but you had already closed up shop for the day.

I love Anne Rice. <3

I have really been meaning to read the Women's Mystery Murder Club! I just got the tenth one, but I am so behind on my reading list it isn't even funny!

Oh...I'm so sorry we missed you!

We do not have Throttle, yet. The one bad thing about being a 'used' book store, is that we have to wait on people to read and give up their reading material. That is what enables us to mark things down to half price or less. We generally don't have the newest, best thing until it has been out in circulation for a few months.
If you would like me to put you on a list in our store system send me a pm with your contact info and I will add you today. We use the 'Basil' system in store to keep up with inventory, customers etc. If I have you in the system with a request, when we scan a copy into inventory it should prompt me to call you and let you know we have it.

Just so you know, our store hours are Monday~Saturday 10:00am to 6:00pm, and Sunday 12:00~5:00. We wish we could do longer hours, but with only one person running the store at a time it's a long day with no break. Hopefully one day we will have enough business to merit more help, longer hours *crossing fingers* ;) .
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.  ~~~~~  &amp;quot;A room without a book, is like a body without a soul&amp;quot;  ~Cicero ~~~~~~ I dream of  a world...where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.&lt;br /&gt;&amp;quot;Life is short. Don't be an asshole&amp;quot;~Jenilyn

#24 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

Yep. Read all the Anne Rice "Interview with a Vampire" series.
She can be a tough read sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics