Paulding.com

I learned a little more about the Tsplost

This splost expires if the dollar goal amount for the projects is reached before the 10 year expiration.

And the GA 400 toll was supposed to have ended three or four years ago too. Until they prove themselves trustworthy I will always vote no.

There is a better way. But as long as 51% of the voters are stupid enough to hold their ankles there will be no need to change the way it is done.

BTW, if the 140,000 other residence are going to be riding their fat asses up and down the road that goes through the property owners land, I fail to see the problem with them paying for that privilege.

Actualy these are the number of people in the county that may enjoy their commute being shorter, or to even have a job within the county.

Paulding County has one of Georgia’s highest percentages of residents that commute outside the county for work. Approximately 76% of employed residents leave the county for jobs throughout the Atlanta region. These individuals, many of them employed in manufacturing and production, represent a potential supply of labor to new and expanding businesses in Paulding County.

This splost is certainly not for the benefit of a few in our region.

Source of the numbers

• Like 1

Well, I just learned a little about TSPLOST myself.

Here's a link for you. LINK

Scroll all the way to the end of the page and read the fine print. Any idea who Yancey Brothers is? This is all the evidence I need to tell me I don't need to vote for this. Can you say SPECIAL INTEREST? Sure. Sure you can.

I also found this, which I figured was the reason for this regional crapola from the start.

From AJC:

Tea party leaders assailed the plan as “a mass transit tax targeted at financial Titanic MARTA.”

Here is the link to the AJC article. I understand this is region 3, but I would be surprised if Cobb votes to help out the City of Atlanta. Link 2

Yep! The more I read the better I fell about voting no.

You know feelip, you make a good point.

It would think that folks like Yancy Brothers, Matthews Const. etc. were all wined, dined and mutually entertained by the leaders of the various parties, both state and national in the period from roughly 1994-2002. In that process the folks who were moving from the Dem party to the GOP were often the same folks. They were all certain that everything would be hunky dory and that progress, as measured in public works and other things, would continue unabated.

Key to the sales pitch of the GOP in wooing the folks from Dems was that they wanted to shift the tax burden in the state to take what appeared to be ever increasing assessments against these wealthy contributors off and let them keep more of the money they earned. It is a hard pitch to resist and over the last two decades the GOP has made good on their offer only to be tripped up by that key element of the state constitution - the balanced budget amendment.

And now we are in crunch time. All the money the state gets from federal highway fuel taxes is earmarked to retire bonds. The only source would be the general fund, always under intense pressure from all interests (and the road building interests have been losing out in recent years) from education to the criminal justice system.

So the GOP, in an effort to placate the folks who had given close to a million dollars in contributions - almost all to Republicans - was that the GOP legislature came up with the SPLOST as their way to solve the dilemma of how to show support for them. The only problem is the rank and file 'tea party' folks, as you call them, say hell no, dats uh tax and I'm again it.

So sure, Yancy bros. will be out there pushing for the SPLOST. I will too, being one of those tree hugging Dems who doesn't have the knee-jerk reaction of all republicans - taxes are bad - and sees that we need some funding for public transportation because not only are all members of the public not served by our car-centered culture, but the pollution and other aspects the stem from sole reliance of that form of transport are destructive to the environment which is a direct attack our conservative ethic. (We think those who flagrantly waste, degrade and destroy the air, the water, the land for something so temporary and fleeting as profit as something far removed from conservative.)

So, one wonders if this loses as the good Republicans assert their knee jerk no tax nostrums how proud business leaders like Yancy Brothers will feel when they realize the reason they don't have to pay enormous taxes is that they aren't building anything - roads, schools, prisons, airports - anymore because JP Morgan needs more money so they can gamble on the derivatives market and the only public money left was spent bailing them out.

pubby

It would be cheaper for Yancy bros., me, you and even SOLO to tell JP Morgan no, you can't gamble in unregulated (read manipulated) opaque markets even if you think you can double your money overnight, maybe, probably not. It would be a better idea (and the odds are probably no worse) to send them to Vegas.

The fair tax for building roads is to tax all those who purchase fuel for whatever reason either diesel, Gasoline or jet fuel.

If this does not probide the needed revenue,Then,increase the tax on the people that buy it.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS!!!!!

The fair tax for building roads is to tax all those who purchase fuel for whatever reason either diesel, Gasoline or jet fuel.

If this does not probide the needed revenue,Then,increase the tax on the people that buy it.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS!!!!!

I want to see our projects here done in the short time frame that is projected by this plan and see the tax go away. I am pretty sure we would see a pretty big tax increase on the fuel, especially due to lower consumption to get these road projects done. I also like the idea of the taxes collected in the region staying in the region, not dipped into and sent back.

I buy gas to go to work so I can pay taxes on that money to be doled out to folks that don't or can't work, how bout a little sharing of that load for once.

I want to see our projects here done in the short time frame that is projected by this plan and see the tax go away. I am pretty sure we would see a pretty big tax increase on the fuel, especially due to lower consumption to get these road projects done. I also like the idea of the taxes collected in the region staying in the region, not dipped into and sent back.

I buy gas to go to work so I can pay taxes on that money to be doled out to folks that don't or can't work, how bout a little sharing of that load for once.

I know I'm just a dumbass ol country boy, but this makes about as much sense to me as the school bond made. I tend to agree more with Whitey on this one. And the truth of the matter is even if we were to approve this TSPLOST, they would raise fuel tax at their first opportunity and we don't get to vote on that one.

I know I'm just a dumbass ol country boy, but this makes about as much sense to me as the school bond made. I tend to agree more with Whitey on this one. And the truth of the matter is even if we were to approve this TSPLOST, they would raise fuel tax at their first opportunity and we don't get to vote on that one.

Ditto! I don't think the S-PLOST will help Paulding much at all. In 10 years they will just want to renew it because Paulding still needs most of the things that are on the wish list.

LPPT What I am saying is use the same plan that is proposed under the T SPLOST with the exception of the funding part Use a Fuel tax instead of a sales tax.

Do it by region as proposed, That way the City of Atlanta will get the Fuel taxes from the airport which would really help traffic congestion in the metro area. And BTW No exceptions to the fuel tax for anyone whether it would be a Major airline,Truck line,corporate farm etc.

Everyone that uses fuel will pay the same amount, Is their some reason that a major airline receives millions in tax cuts on jet fuel? Or how about the Major Truck lines that will avoid this sales tax?

I will share the load as well as everyone else that drives, Heck it now cost $5.00 to fill up my Tiller and $10.00 to fill up my lawnmower, $75.00 for my Silverado and $80.00 for the wife's Tahoe.

Raise the same amount of money as the T SPLOST then remove the gas tax.

You do realize that 10 billion dollars will be taken out of the economy with this tax increase???

LPPT What I am saying is use the same plan that is proposed under the T SPLOST with the exception of the funding part Use a Fuel tax instead of a sales tax.

Do it by region as proposed, That way the City of Atlanta will get the Fuel taxes from the airport which would really help traffic congestion in the metro area. And BTW No exceptions to the fuel tax for anyone whether it would be a Major airline,Truck line,corporate farm etc.

Everyone that uses fuel will pay the same amount, Is their some reason that a major airline receives millions in tax cuts on jet fuel? Or how about the Major Truck lines that will avoid this sales tax?

I will share the load as well as everyone else that drives, Heck it now cost $5.00 to fill up my Tiller and $10.00 to fill up my lawnmower, $75.00 for my Silverado and $80.00 for the wife's Tahoe.

Raise the same amount of money as the T SPLOST then remove the gas tax.

You do realize that 10 billion dollars will be taken out of the economy with this tax increase???

I understand that industries dependent on fuel like airlines, buses, trains, and trucking such as UPS prepay millions of gallons at a certain rate, I am not sure if their tax rate is frozen at the time they sign the contract, but I will look into it.

As a family we use about double what you use, we both make a lot of our money from driving lots of miles a week, the state and feds are already hitting us pretty hard. another .10 a gallon is going to hit us hard and it will never come back off as the amount is insufficient to get the road needs of the state met within in 10 years.

I see the tsplost like a 15 year note, you know your gonna eat out a lot less and vacation once a year instead twice, but you are going to be out from under it in 15 verses 30.

This is going to make a big difference in the quality of life of the young people graduating now and in the next 10 years as far as economic growth and opportunity close to home.

The hospital that is coming is going to be a game changer for our youth along with the industries that will come along with it. It's positive forward growth, I am so happy to have 2 children graduating into the medical industry with the opportunity to work close to home.

It's just hard to see how good it can be 10 years from now.

If the T SPLOST is passed it will never come off.

If the gas tax is not providing sufficent revenue, Then why did this years State legislature reduce the taxes on gas for major airlines and corporate farms?

• Like 1

The TSPLOST CANNOT be extended by the legislature after 10 years. If they want to propose ANOTHER TSPLOST, then they are free to do so and we'll have another vote. The 10 years is set in stone, just like the project list.

If the T SPLOST is passed it will never come off.

If the gas tax is not providing sufficent revenue, Then why did this years State legislature reduce the taxes on gas for major airlines and corporate farms?

Whitey,

to answer your question it is because our legislature is the best that money can buy. The lobbyists who buy favors get those favors in the form of tax cuts.

Because we have a balanced budget amendment, the only option if, for instance, roads are to be maintained (that costs money), is that money has to come from somewhere. Now the savings for a companies like major airlines is that there are maybe five or six of them. So it is a lot of money if they pay a penny a gallon because they use millions and millions of gallons.

The thing that gives Republicans' warm fuzzies is when they can give say five companies a million dollar tax break while costing everyone else - and there are millions of us - five or ten dollars a piece. They can get away with it because all us millions don't have a lobbyist at the legislature.

So now us regular folks get to pay another penny for every dollar we spend allowing the legislators to give a million dollar tax break to a handful of companies who pay big bucks to those who peddle influence.

What upsets me as much as anything is the ROI the businesses expect out of their lobbying efforts. For instance, you can bet that a successful industry group and individual lobbyists will spend less than $1,000,000 on a state-wide basis like Ga and the politicians probably will only get (in cash contributions) about $200,000 spread among maybe two dozen legislatures... and for that they could get over $100 million tax break.

that's how the business works and if you don't know that, then you aren't paying attention.

pubby