Paulding.com

I learned a little more about the Tsplost

I know that some people have studied the issue, I had a brief over veiw of it until Yesterday.

I attended the Paulding county Republican Women's club meeting yesterday were they had 2 speakers pro and con for the T splost. Pro- John Lewis State transportation

LEARN MORE

Con- Candidate for Cobb Commission chair Larry Savage

I was ask not to video tape the meeting, so this is more of a personal observation of the Tsplost and what I learned through my own research which I will share the links with you so that you can read for yourself.

First of all I was not aware that DOT funding came exclusively from Fuel tax and splost.

My understanding is that revenue is down because of more fuel efficient cars and people driving less.

Governor Deal has been reluctant to raise the fuel taxes to keep from putting Georgians under more economic strain READ ABOUT THAT HERE

One of the cons for me was that their are no promises of not raising fuel taxes should this pass, but realistically that would be a strategic nightmare as this is regional, you would have people driving to regions to fill up on cheaper gas and I can see the division could be a challenge.

When you look at the links I give you, you will see that the state has been divided into regions. This makes sense to me in that roads connect regionally and probably share economically in the regions. The outcome is based on how the region votes.

This is not by county so if Bartow has enough votes to pass it, our entire region will collect the splost, for many this is a huge con as in a regional governance.

Let's talk about the pro, the money does not go to the state but is collected and sent directly to our county's leader's they have already made up the list of projects and 75% of that money has to be spent on those projects. I personally like the idea that we have local control and the local officials can't change the list.

The 25% left is where our officials will have some discretion which I also like, that money has to be used on transportation, such as repairs, equipment and could also be used if an emergency came up such as a bridge collapse.

Another fact that I was surprised to learn is the limit on the Tsplost should the dollar goals be met before the 10 years the splost will end. Doubtful I know, but I have been watching some of what the state has been doing and even locally as they are preparing to come out of the recession economically strong, so that is not beyond the realm of possibilities.

Which brings up one of the cons mentioned, and that is many of the regions have obviously geared their DOT projects in favor of economic development, the objection made no sense to me as employment is one of our biggest problems in this country, road building and infrastructure are certainly within the scope of Government expenditures along with public safety and education. This is not about putting people to work building roads but to put in place infrastructure toward future economic growth.

The links that I am placing here will have an over view of the tsplost, then you can click through to various regions and check each list, there is also a list of how much money each region expects to collect for 10 years.

You may not agree with what you see on many of the list, I know many object to public transportation projects and recreation things such as bike and walking paths.

In all honesty you only need concern yourself with your counties list, it is your money you spend in the region and it all comes back to you when it is collected.

It does not go to the state or the federal Government to be doled back out but goes into an account and is sent back to us for our projects.

I am placing the link to the website here, much of the details are in PDF form, you may be ask to use a certain reader to interact or print, the reader is safe.

Other regions may vote this down based on the list made by their county leaders, one of the negatives of many regions voting this down is that they will still be dependent on fuel tax for DOT projects and those counties that voted it in will get stuck with a double burden of tsplost and higher fuel tax, but at least we will end up with better commutes and regional economic improvement.

These are my thoughts based on research and talking to others but I wanted to share with you what I had found out and link to the site where you can learn more about the regional Tsplost before you vote on July.

Learn about the Tsplost here

This is not by county so if Bartow has enough votes to pass it, our entire region will collect the splost, for many this is a huge con as in a regional governance

I sure hope you are wrong on the above quote. It is my understanding that a majority of the citizens within the region have to approve this TAX INCREASE!!!!!!

First of all I was not aware that DOT funding came exclusively from Fuel tax and splost.

My understanding is that revenue is down because of more fuel efficient cars and people driving less.

Im actually pretty stunned that people don't know that DOT funding comes from fuel taxes. So here we are in the dilemma crated by central planners. They want people to use less fossil fuels and adopt more electric/hybrid technology. As a result lower tax revenue is generated for an infrastructure that is used to a certain revenue via fuel tax....THAT ALWAYS INCREASES.

So where do they make up the loss that the middle class worker will have to bear?

I sure hope you are wrong on the above quote. It is my understanding that a majority of the citizens within the region have to approve this TAX INCREASE!!!!!!

This is the way I understand it to work, lets say 95% of Bartow votes for it, 5% of Paulding votes for it, if the overall votes in the region even if they come for a single county make up over 50 % needed to pass, it passes.

Since the fuel tax is based in part on the price of a gallon of gas,Please show a chart, Or something that supports the allegation that the fuel tax has not increased

The revenue from fuel tax being down was a statement from Mr.Lewis and an audience member pointed out that they are expecting it to go down even further with hybrid cars and more fuel efficient cars.

Im actually pretty stunned that people don't know that DOT funding comes from fuel taxes. So here we are in the dilemma crated by central planners. They want people to use less fossil fuels and adopt more electric/hybrid technology. As a result lower tax revenue is generated for an infrastructure that is used to a certain revenue via fuel tax....THAT ALWAYS INCREASES.

So where do they make up the loss that the middle class worker will have to bear?

I was not aware that it was the only source of funding other than splost.

Thanks for all the info LPPT !! After careful review, I really don't get the warm fuzziness on this. I will go with a vote of NO!!!. JMHO

The reason I posted this is that I realized that most of my knowledge of it had come from opinion pieces and I found a site with factual info from the state. I don't like some of it, mostly the idea of ending up with a region paying double the tax if other counties vote it down and the revenue is made up by fuel tax.

What I do like about it is local control and the commitment to projects that can't be changed. This will also hurt some regions where people don't want public transportation and feel bike and walking paths are frivolous.

Bartow County Population

100,195 - Jul 2010

Source: U.S. Census Bureau

Catoosa County

63,975 - Jul 2010

Chattooga County

26,015 - Jul 2010

Dade County

16,633 - Jul 2010

Fannin County

23,682 - Jul

Floyd County

96,274 - Jul 2010

Gilmer County

28,335 - Jul 2010

Gordon County

55,214 - Jul 2010

Haralson County

28,774 - Jul 2010

Murray County

39,559 - Jul 2010

Paulding County

142,741 - Jul 2010

Pickens County

29,431 (2010)

Polk County

41,523 - Jul 2010

Walker County

68,761 - Jul 2010

Whitfield County

102,934 - Jul 2010

As I see it, Paulding has the largest population in District 1. Whitfield and Bartow are second and third.

Bartow County Population

100,195 - Jul 2010

Source: U.S. Census Bureau

Catoosa County

63,975 - Jul 2010

Chattooga County

26,015 - Jul 2010

Dade County

16,633 - Jul 2010

Fannin County

23,682 - Jul

Floyd County

96,274 - Jul 2010

Gilmer County

28,335 - Jul 2010

Gordon County

55,214 - Jul 2010

Haralson County

28,774 - Jul 2010

Murray County

39,559 - Jul 2010

Paulding County

142,741 - Jul 2010

Pickens County

29,431 (2010)

Polk County

41,523 - Jul 2010

Walker County

68,761 - Jul 2010

Whitfield County

102,934 - Jul 2010

As I see it, Paulding has the largest population in District 1. Whitfield and Bartow are second and third.

I was surprised to find that Paulding had a higher population than Bartow. They may have more than twice as much industry and manufacturing than we do, meaning a large percent of their population working within the county for a living wage with benefits are working for private industry rather than local government.

Our high earners need to commute, so we may end up with more votes for it than them.

I was surprised to find that Paulding had a higher population than Bartow. They may have more than twice as much industry and manufacturing than we do, meaning a large percent of their population working within the county for a living wage with benefits are working for private industry rather than local government.

Our high earners need to commute, so we may end up with more votes for it than them.

Dalton and Cartersville have always been business/industry friendly...a little thing that Dallas still has not learned.

Don't forget Rome in Floyd County, they are 4th in population.

Dalton and Cartersville have always been business/industry friendly...a little thing that Dallas still has not learned.

Don't forget Rome in Floyd County, they are 4th in population.

The flip side of this is that if the majority of our county wants this the other counties could vote it down.

A freeze on fuel tax for the duration probably would have guaranteed this passing, but to put that in effect every region would have had to pass it to make it viable.

This site gives a little more insight into our challenges with funding the DOT My link

I don't know about you working folks, but I am retired on a fixed income. I have always voted for sales tax, because I thought that was the fairest tax. This time I cannot vote for it, these fixed incomes do not increase. If anything they decrease because, of the

way everything has increased in price.

The funds will come from taxes on medicine, some foods, and almost everyting you buy if I understood Mr. Lewis correctly. That was downside for me. If a region does not pass it they will not get matching funds (some state and some federal) while the regions who do pass it will. Paulding has the highest population in the region and they will have a huge impact on whether or not this passes. Also learned that we will get a new person added to the GA DOT Board to represent the new 14th District. Mr. Lewis represents the 11th. They are voted on by members of the Legislature. Good info LPPT. You listen well!:)

Just wondering LPPT why did the Paulding County Republican Women’s club refuse to allow you to video the presentation??

Were they supporting this tax increase?

Did the lobbyists, at this meeting explain why this year’s legislature made permanent the gasoline tax cuts for major airlines, farms, manufacture of certain products etc? And, at the same time propose a one cent transportation tax on all citizens within certain regions of the State?

Whatever the gas tax is I think that all users of the product should pay the same amount of taxes as the average citizen does.

Fact is some of our own representatives voted to provide themselves a reduction in gasoline/diesel fuel taxes, And at the same time voted to allow this tax increase to become a referendum this July. SHAME ON THEM!!!!!!

OH…….. Did I mention the millions that is being spent lobbying at meetings like this to get this TAX INCREASE passed

Just wondering LPPT why did the Paulding County Republican Women’s club refuse to allow you to video the presentation??

Did the lobbyists, at this meeting explain why this year’s legislature made permanent the gasoline tax cuts for major airlines, farms, manufacture of certain products etc? And, at the same time propose a one cent transportation tax on all citizens within certain regions of the State?

Whatever the gas tax is I think that all users of the product should pay the same amount of taxes as the average citizen does.

Fact is some of our own representatives voted to provide themselves a reduction in gasoline/diesel fuel taxes, And at the same time voted to allow this tax increase to become a referendum this July. SHAME ON THEM!!!!!!

OH…….. Did I mention the millions that is being spent lobbying at meetings like this to get this TAX INCREASE passed

The ladies never object to me filming and I am often invited to the meetings and they are very nice to me.

Many know that I am not as far right as they are but generally they are polite to me.

Mr. Lewis did not want the meeting filmed, The Cobb commissioner was giving the counter points, IMO there were not many supporters of the Tsplost there, it there was like me they were quiet. I was accused of being a democrat because I support it.

That really didn't make sense because the majority of elected officials in Georgia are Rep. and they came up with this plan.

I don't know anything about lobbying, I have never hidden the fact that while I am conservative I am very pro economic growth especially locally.

If I think it will help grow the local economy I am almost always for it.

Nobody wants to pay taxes, yet everything we enjoy as modern people came about through taxes, the electricity in your house, the gas line, the water line, the roads that not only are a way to get here and there but have boosted the movement of goods and commerce, your ability to read and comprehend is based on tax dollars.

We have a responsibility to future generations to place infrastructure that will allow commerce to grow so they will have meaningful employment. The me generation cries about everything they can't have because of the taxes they pay. I am glad my parents and grandparents paid their taxes that gave me the comforts and prosperity I live with today, not mention one of the strongest and securest military forces in the world.

This is a decision about the future prosperity for this state and region, we are free to reject, so reject it. Why would those that have jobs care about those that don't. Who cares if only 1/2 of the 2012 classes graduating in Georgia find employment with in a year of graduating, if it's not your problem and you don't care then you simply don't care and you vote no. no to taxes, no to growth and no to a thriving economy.

We have some of the lowest taxes in the nation and some of the worse resources for elderly and children of any state. We can add the worse roads to that, schools, lowest per capita income and highest unemployment. We are being ask to vote on the economic future of this state just like Paulding was ask years ago about manufacturing and industry, no thanks we will just tax the homeowners for the we bit we are going to put in our schools and infrastructure. :wacko:

My opinion doesn't make me popular, I see nothing frivolous in our county plan, it all makes sense as far as meeting the needs of the residents here.

My quality of life is not going to be negatively impacted by the tax increase.

My quality of life will be negatively impacted when my kids can't find jobs here and have to move away. My life is negatively impacted by the lack of employment and low wages of many of those around me, that is my yardstick

• Like 1

Just wondering LPPT why did the Paulding County Republican Women's club refuse to allow you to video the presentation??

Did the lobbyists, at this meeting explain why this year's legislature made permanent the gasoline tax cuts for major airlines, farms, manufacture of certain products etc? And, at the same time propose a one cent transportation tax on all citizens within certain regions of the State?

One of the mission statements of the Women's Club is to educate it's members and anyone in the community who wants to attend the meetings about political issues and government in general. The meeting yesterday gave nothing but facts pro and con. LPPT is right, most of the folks in the room were against it and I did not see many minds changed. Not everybody wants to be on camera and I think their wishes should be respected.

The ladies never object to me filming and I am often invited to the meetings and they are very nice to me.

Many know that I am not as far right as they are but generally they are polite to me.

Mr. Lewis did not want the meeting filmed, The Cobb commissioner was giving the counter points, IMO there were not many supporters of the Tsplost there, it there was like me they were quiet. I was accused of being a democrat because I support it.

That really didn't make sense because the majority of elected officials in Georgia are Rep. and they came up with this plan.

I don't know anything about lobbying, I have never hidden the fact that while I am conservative I am very pro economic growth especially locally.

Nobody wants to pay taxes, yet everything we enjoy as modern people came about through taxes, the electricity in your house, the gas line, the water line, the roads that not only are a way to get here and there but have boosted the movement of goods and commerce, your ability to read and comprehend is based on tax dollars.

We have a responsibility to future generations to place infrastructure that will allow commerce to grow so they will have meaningful employment. The me generation cries about everything they can't have because of the taxes they pay. I am glad my parents and grandparents paid their taxes that gave me the comforts and prosperity I live with today, not mention one of the strongest and securest military forces in the world.

This is a decision about the future prosperity for this state and region, we are free to reject, so reject it. Why would those that have jobs care about those that don't. Who cares if only 1/2 of the 2012 classes graduating in Georgia find employment with in a year of graduating, if it's not your problem and you don't care then you simply don't care and you vote no. no to taxes, no to growth and no to a thriving economy.

We have some of the lowest taxes in the nation and some of the worse resources for elderly and children of any state. We can add the worse roads to that, schools, lowest per capita income and highest unemployment. We are being ask to vote on the economic future of this state just like Paulding was ask years ago about manufacturing and industry, no thanks we will just tax the homeowners for the we bit we are going to put in our schools and infrastructure. :wacko:

My opinion doesn't make me popular, I see nothing frivolous in our county plan, it all makes sense as far as meeting the needs of the residents here.

My quality of life will be negatively impacted when my kids can't find jobs here and have to move away. My life is negatively impacted by the lack of employment and low wages of many of those around me, that is my yardstick

Mr. Savage is a candidate for Cobb Commission Chair. He is not a Commissioner.

One of the mission statements of the Women's Club is to educate it's members and anyone in the community who wants to attend the meetings about political issues and government in general. The meeting yesterday gave nothing but facts pro and con. LPPT is right, most of the folks in the room were against it and I did not see many minds changed. Not everybody wants to be on camera and I think their wishes should be respected.

Mr. Savage is a candidate for Cobb Commission Chair. He is not a Commissioner.

OK I thought he said he was going for a second term after serving a 1/2 term in someone's place, I must have misunderstood.

Thank you, I always try to be aware of people that don't particularly want to be on camera especially local folks. On the other hand people in office and running for office should not shy away from a record of their remarks, I was trying to respect the wishes of the group on this. As we get closer to the elections I feel it is my responsibility to try and get statements on the record for the voters.

I'm pretty sure we went to war about that once before...you know, throwing tea overboard and such.

The question of whether this is constitutional came up yesterday too. I found this piece on that question:

http://www.jacksonhe...-questions.html

3. The final question about the T-SPLOST relates to a provision in the law that would punish counties in a region that fail to approve the new tax. Although legislators have framed the vote as letting taxpayers decide, they didn't create a level playing field for the vote. If a region fails to approve the tax, then the state will punish the counties in that region by forcing them to match state funds at a higher rate. Rather than a state 30 percent match, counties would have only a 10 percent state match.

LPPT

LPPT

Sorry that we do not agree on this TAX INCREASE, but I do see it a little different than you.

Transportation is an important part of growth in any State or County, and, is very important that we continue to provide better roads and other infrastructure for the future of our State and Paulding County.

Up to this point in time infrastructure improvements have been funded by State and Federal gasoline tax dollars along with a local SPLOST tax that was recently passed in Paulding County.

Do know that the Local SPLOST tax is responsible in part for the extension of Bill Carruth Parkway.

I have no problem if the gutless wonders at the State Legislature increased the gasoline tax to support the infrastructure needs of our State and County.

I then have a choice of cutting back on my gas usage.

It is past time for everyone to pay their fair share in gasoline taxes whether it is Delta Air lines or a big farm conglomerate When this State legislature passed laws that allowed these large corporations to not pay the same taxes for a gallon of gasoline as I do then it is time to stand up and fight back!!!!

Just a little history lesson On SPLOST taxes ,First, we are now paying .03 cents in County SPLOST taxes, Soon to be .04 cents if this passes, Are you aware that the State of Georgia collects .04 cents sales tax??

SPLOST began as an easy way to build a new School, or roadway and has now evolved to being a means to build all the infrastructure needs of the State.

Semi trucks and other commercial vehicles will get a huge tax break if this is voted into law.

The gasoline tax is the fairest tax that could be imposed to provide for future infrastructure improvements it has been good over the years and will be good for the future.

If only the State Legislature had the NADS to raise the gasoline tax we would be taxing the people that use the roads the most.

I am re-posting from another thread about TSPLOST from a couple of weeks ago. My opinion has not changed; I will be voting NO.

-DV

I have a couple of concerns about this referendum:

2. The Tax Reform Act just passed by the Georgia State Legislature requires that companies from other states that sell products to be shipped to Georgia must charge Sales Tax. This will be reciprocated by the other states. That means that this 1% sales tax will be tacked on to the Internet sales of Georgia companies which are shipped outside the state. This will make Georgia companies less competitive and will cost jobs.
  3. Most of the projects on the list for Paulding County appear to be expansion/improvement of existing roads. The West Dallas Bypass would be a new road. Dallas needs an EAST Dallas Bypass, not a WEST Dallas Bypass. This looks like another "Road to Nowhere" to go with our "Airport to Nowhere".

I also agree with previous poster's sentiments that we are Taxed Enough Already. We need to prioritize all of our wants/needs and then fund these projects according to their priority. This will require that some less effective government projects or programs be shut down, which we never seem to be willing to do, and we never will do as long as we keep voting to raise taxes.

By the way, the Final Investment Report contains more details about these projects. The list of representatives on the Transportation Roundtable from the various counties can be found on Page 3. The list of projects for Paulding County, along with more details and maps begins on Page 89. Details and a map of the West Dallas Bypass can be found on Page 101.

I am voting NO. We are now paying 7% sales tax and if this passes we will be paying 8% sales tax. In my eyes that's a 14% increase of sales tax.

My suggestion is to identify out of state company's doing business in Georgia and Paulding county and require they register and tag the vehicles assigned to Georgia so taxes are collected here. Do your own survey and look at tractor trailers you see on our roads and parked here at night and you will start to see many out of state tags. Out of state tags mean out of state tax collections.

LPPT

Sorry that we do not agree on this TAX INCREASE, but I do see it a little different than you.

Transportation is an important part of growth in any State or County, and, is very important that we continue to provide better roads and other infrastructure for the future of our State and Paulding County.

Up to this point in time infrastructure improvements have been funded by State and Federal gasoline tax dollars along with a local SPLOST tax that was recently passed in Paulding County.

Do know that the Local SPLOST tax is responsible in part for the extension of Bill Carruth Parkway.

I have no problem if the gutless wonders at the State Legislature increased the gasoline tax to support the infrastructure needs of our State and County.

I then have a choice of cutting back on my gas usage.

It is past time for everyone to pay their fair share in gasoline taxes whether it is Delta Air lines or a big farm conglomerate When this State legislature passed laws that allowed these large corporations to not pay the same taxes for a gallon of gasoline as I do then it is time to stand up and fight back!!!!

Just a little history lesson On SPLOST taxes ,First, we are now paying .03 cents in County SPLOST taxes, Soon to be .04 cents if this passes, Are you aware that the State of Georgia collects .04 cents sales tax??

SPLOST began as an easy way to build a new School, or roadway and has now evolved to being a means to build all the infrastructure needs of the State.

Semi trucks and other commercial vehicles will get a huge tax break if this is voted into law.

The gasoline tax is the fairest tax that could be imposed to provide for future infrastructure improvements it has been good over the years and will be good for the future.

If only the State Legislature had the NADS to raise the gasoline tax we would be taxing the people that use the roads the most.

The way I see it, it is a fair tax because everyone pays, the folks on welfare, disability, social security and even the criminals stealing and selling drugs.

The folks that pay to drive a car everyday to work, you know the ones paying the biggest part of the taxes supporting those listed are going to get a little help now instead of having it all on our backs. It is a fair tax.

The way I see it, it is a fair tax because everyone pays, the folks on welfare, disability, social security and even the criminals stealing and selling drugs.

The folks that pay to drive a car everyday to work, you know the ones paying the biggest part of the taxes supporting those listed are going to get a little help now instead of having it all on our backs. It is a fair tax.

You are partially correct. Consumption tax, if properly subsidized, can be a more fair form of taxation than property tax. My problem with this splost is the regional thing. It is being sold by telling everyone that their region better not be left out or else.

Also, the TV commercials showing how this little tax is going to un-snarl the traffic is very misleading. And without fail, within six months of this passing we will see an increase in every other tax that we have no choice in.

Any time the DOT has a way to collect revenue they will not let it go away. Look at the GA 400 toll. Heck, look at the I-85 HOT lanes. Charging us to use roads we have already paid for.

But thanks for the info as it did make me decide to change my vote from a no to a HELL NO! ;)

• Like 5

You are partially correct. Consumption tax, if properly subsidized, can be a more fair form of taxation than property tax. My problem with this splost is the regional thing. It is being sold by telling everyone that their region better not be left out or else.

Also, the TV commercials showing how this little tax is going to un-snarl the traffic is very misleading. And without fail, within six months of this passing we will see an increase in every other tax that we have no choice in.

Any time the DOT has a way to collect revenue they will not let it go away. Look at the GA 400 toll. Heck, look at the I-85 HOT lanes. Charging us to use roads we have already paid for.

But thanks for the info as it did make me decide to change my vote from a no to a HELL NO! ;)

We are not lumped in with Cobb, based on the failure of those things it is pretty much understood that the people beyond the metro area would vote no on anything that gave more tax money to them. We get the tax money to improve the roads in our region, if it doesn't pass there they don't see a penny of the money it is ours period.

As far as I know our very conservative, republican leaders came up with this idea and it is truly in line with what I hear conservatives wanting.

First it is a fair tax, secondly we have local control over the money, we know exactly how it will be spent and last it gets us out from under federal controls.

It helps businesses that rely heavily on motor fuel for profit.

I don't watch TV so I haven't seen the commercials everyone is talking about, my information comes from online research only.

We were lumped in with smaller populations which I believe will help us more than had we been lumped in with larger eastern counties.

I am assuming if this does not pass in many of the regions we will see an increase in fuel taxes and the way I understand that is a portion goes to the feds and is doled back out to us with instructions on what we can and can't do with it. After they take their share of course. So I see us dealing with a net loss when we go that route.

We know that many of the regions need help with economic growth that will come with improved hwys. I imagine that it will mean a lot to the folks in our county that work outside of it to shorten their commutes. For many it will mean more time with their families. For others the possibility that economic growth means staying in the county to work will be huge.

The regional thing that seems to have folks so upset seems the most practical and fair way to have the less populated areas served as well if not better than the metro counties, that are continually taking the lions share of DOT money and doing exactly what you described.

I don't work outside the county so one way or another it's not going to make a hill of beans in my pocket, but for many others it is going to be a big deal either way it goes.

I think a little common sense on the part of our lawmakers would go a long way. This plan is so full of bureaucracy and bullcheeze they present it like a shell game.

Instead of telling me all the bad things that could happen if we don't approve it, tell me a few good things that will happen if we do. Tell me why this is better than the usual 1% Paulding County SPLOST.

Being the largest with likely the largest retail sales tax collection in the "region", I have a feeling that we (Paulding County citizens) will be paying more into the "regional" fund than the rest. Why else have regions unless we aren't going to be paying for other county's road improvements?

How does that work?

Edited by feelip

I think a little common sense on the part of our lawmakers would go a long way. This plan is so full of bureaucracy and bullcheeze they present it like a shell game.

Instead of telling me all the bad things that could happen if we don't approve it, tell me a few good things that will happen if we do. Tell me why this is better than the usual 1% Paulding County SPLOST.

Being the largest with likely the largest retail sales tax collection in the "region", I have a feeling that we (Paulding County citizens) will be paying more into the "regional" fund than the rest. Why else have regions unless we aren't going to be paying for other county's road improvements?

How does that work?

We are region one and this is the projected revenue foe each region over 10 years.

75% percent of this has to be spent on the listed projects. The 25% left is supposed to be for maintenance of existing roads. This is why I said you vote for it based on your region and your approval or disapproval of the projects listed for you.

REGION 1: $1.487 Billion revenue projection

REGION 2: $1.259 Billion revenue projection

REGION 3: $8.468 Billion revenue projection

REGION 4: $947 Million revenue projection

REGION 5: $987 Million revenue projection

REGION 6: $876 Million revenue projection

REGION 7: $841 Million revenue projection

REGION 8: $594 Million revenue projection

REGION 9: $399 Million revenue projection

REGION 10: $530 Million revenue projection

REGION 11: $670 Million revenue projection

REGION 12: $1.608 Billion revenue projection

We will receive out of the regional collection the money for the planned projects as will each county in our region. My understanding is that Paulding will benefit the most based on ours being the highest populated county in our region.

The Paulding fact sheet gives the dollar amount to achieve the goals as $164,224,618.

You can click on this link to view the projects that this money can only be spent on.

They can not create more or different projects from what I understand.

My link

Almost all of it is widening and improvement to existing roads.

Quite honestly I am tickled pink that the feds can't touch it and it is totally in the hands of local people once it is divided up.

I know good deal when I see one. Revenue from fuel tax is down, we are facing a tax increase on fuel. Locally we have no control over how much we get back and how we can spend it. Raising the fuel tax as someone has suggested is just more money for the feds and less for us, we shouldn't have to give it up to the feds and this way we don't have to give them a penny more than we already are. I see it as a vote for independence on top of everything else it will do.

I get confused about all the folks that want to give states more control, then rejecting it when it happens.

People don't want to pay taxes, somehow they just want everything to cost less so they can enjoy the benefits that our taxes pay for. The state has no control over the cost of petroleum and the rising cost of asphalt that goes along with it.

The state of Georgia has made major budget cuts over the last few years and has kept taxes down, they come up with something out of the box, which is exactly what this is and people throw a fit, so we go back to the old way of raising the fuel tax, so the burden falls right back on the shoulders of the working class.

• Like 1

REGION 1: $1.487 Billion revenue projection over 10 years with a 2010 population of 881,046 works out to $0.05 a day for every man, woman and child. If you spend more, you pay more. If you spend less, you pay less.

I know good deal when I see one. Revenue from fuel tax is down, we are facing a tax increase on fuel. Locally we have no control over how much we get back and how we can spend it. Raising the fuel tax as someone has suggested is just more money for the feds and less for us, we shouldn't have to give it up to the feds and this way we don't have to give them a penny more than we already are. I see it as a vote for independence on top of everything else it will do.

I get confused about all the folks that want to give states more control, then rejecting it when it happens.

People don't want to pay taxes, somehow they just want everything to cost less so they can enjoy the benefits that our taxes pay for. The state has no control over the cost of petroleum and the rising cost of asphalt that goes along with it.

The state of Georgia has made major budget cuts over the last few years and has kept taxes down, they come up with something out of the box, which is exactly what this is and people throw a fit, so we go back to the old way of raising the fuel tax, so the burden falls right back on the shoulders of the working class.

Here is what I would consider a good deal:

The county sees a need to widen a road. They tell us the estimated cost. We approve a sales tax increase until that amount is raised. The day we have reached that amount the tax is removed.

This proposal is just more of the same old same old. Until they actually start thinking outside the box I will just vote no.

• Like 2

OK I thought he said he was going for a second term after serving a 1/2 term in someone's place, I must have misunderstood.

Thank you, I always try to be aware of people that don't particularly want to be on camera especially local folks. On the other hand people in office and running for office should not shy away from a record of their remarks, I was trying to respect the wishes of the group on this. As we get closer to the elections I feel it is my responsibility to try and get statements on the record for the voters.

Mr. Lewis is not elected by the people. Mr.Savage would not have minded being on camera. I doubt the Women's Club would have much credibility if they did not respect the wishes of their guests on such matters. JMO

The county sees a need to widen a road. They tell us the estimated cost. We approve a sales tax increase until that amount is raised. The day we have reached that amount the tax is removed.

This proposal is just more of the same old same old. Until they actually start thinking outside the box I will just vote no.

There are two problems with that.

First, it would have to be everyone in the county ... or at least 50 percent plus one ... that sees the need to widen the road. That could be tough if only 10 percent of the people even know where the road is because they just don't go to that area of the county.

The imposition of a sales tax to pay for this improvement means that the pre-teen buying a box of popcorn at the movies is funding the road even though that particular young man lives in Cobb and is just visiting. Of course the 90 percent of the people who never use the road (but use others in the county) also fall in the category of paying a percent for a road that only benefits a few people.

Finally, feelip, they could be landowners whose property, with the addition, widening and improvement of the road, actually enjoy a winfall. In otherwords, lets say they had 300 acres each worth $5,000/acre as is. But you bring this new road to the land and while the man was forced to sell 50 acres for the road (and was paid at $5,000/acre for his land), the land suddenly is worth $50,000 an acre.

Of course the way it works is the man is mad because he was forced by eminent domain to sell his 50 acres for $250,000 and now the rest of the land is valued by the assessor at $12.5 million. Fortunately the legislature has created ways for the man to avoid paying taxes on the new 'instant' value of his land but the plain fact is that his net worth has increased by a factor of 10 times literally on the investment of virtually everyone else of $15 million in building the road.

So, it would appear the man with the 300 250 acres would be in favor of the sales tax approach to building roads figuring that given the investment could improve the value of his property with no corresponding increase in property taxes.

While it is not quite getting something for nothing, having 140,000 other residents each contribute even a couple of cents a year to your personal bottom line by investing in improvements has to make the landowners sleep well at night ... almost as well as the child, whose nickles were invested, sleeps when dad's home instead of out stuck in traffic.

pubby

There are two problems with that.

First, it would have to be everyone in the county ... or at least 50 percent plus one ... that sees the need to widen the road. That could be tough if only 10 percent of the people even know where the road is because they just don't go to that area of the county.

The imposition of a sales tax to pay for this improvement means that the pre-teen buying a box of popcorn at the movies is funding the road even though that particular young man lives in Cobb and is just visiting. Of course the 90 percent of the people who never use the road (but use others in the county) also fall in the category of paying a percent for a road that only benefits a few people.

Finally, feelip, they could be landowners whose property, with the addition, widening and improvement of the road, actually enjoy a winfall. In otherwords, lets say they had 300 acres each worth $5,000/acre as is. But you bring this new road to the land and while the man was forced to sell 50 acres for the road (and was paid at $5,000/acre for his land), the land suddenly is worth $50,000 an acre.

Of course the way it works is the man is mad because he was forced by eminent domain to sell his 50 acres for $250,000 and now the rest of the land is valued by the assessor at $12.5 million. Fortunately the legislature has created ways for the man to avoid paying taxes on the new 'instant' value of his land but the plain fact is that his net worth has increased by a factor of 10 times literally on the investment of virtually everyone else of $15 million in building the road.

So, it would appear the man with the 300 250 acres would be in favor of the sales tax approach to building roads figuring that given the investment could improve the value of his property with no corresponding increase in property taxes.

While it is not quite getting something for nothing, having 140,000 other residents each contribute even a couple of cents a year to your personal bottom line by investing in improvements has to make the landowners sleep well at night ... almost as well as the child, whose nickles were invested, sleeps when dad's home instead of out stuck in traffic.

pubby

There is a better way. But as long as 51% of the voters are stupid enough to hold their ankles there will be no need to change the way it is done.

BTW, if the 140,000 other residence are going to be riding their fat asses up and down the road that goes through the property owners land, I fail to see the problem with them paying for that privilege.

This splost expires if the dollar goal amount for the projects is reached before the 10 year expiration.