Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
dawneykids

The New sports store in Hiram....

Hubby and I went to Academy Sports in Hiram and were very impressed. I just signed up for kick boxing classes and needed a few things. We got 3 folding chairs, tennis shoes for me, 6 pr of short socks, flip flops for 4th grader, 2 tops and 2 pair of pants, 2 henly t's that were on clearance for $4.88 ea and a box of ammo for $135.00. The prices were good, the store was very bright, which I like, I HATE dark stores, with lots of people on the floor to help customers, All in all, a very good experience.

Hubby LOVED the fact that they sell all kinds of guns and ammo.

When I first found out about AS going in I was skeptical about it. I hope it lasts longer than the one that went in in my hometown. The one in my hometown left after a year b/c of no business. Which I don't understand b/c the population there is that of Marietta/Dallas/Hiram combined and had a MAJOR university there. Was also really the only sporting store in the area. Hope ours makes it.

Can't wait to go! Did anyone notice if they had the Elite socks in colors besides black?

I'm looking forward to going myself, I need some weights and new workout clothes, so I have the perfect excuse :good:

My friend went this morning and found some really cute work out clothes. They were really reasonable in price. I'm going to get some tomorrow.

When I first found out about AS going in I was skeptical about it. I hope it lasts longer than the one that went in in my hometown. The one in my hometown left after a year b/c of no business. Which I don't understand b/c the population there is that of Marietta/Dallas/Hiram combined and had a MAJOR university there. Was also really the only sporting store in the area. Hope ours makes it.

I have been in the one in Macon. Personally I wasn't impressed simply because my sport is fishing and their fishing equipment is very limited. I left the Macon store and went to Bass Pro to get the rod I was looking for.

BUT! If you are looking for sportswear, guns and ammo they are great. I hope they do well but I will continue to buy my tackle from Nature's Tackle Box just down the sidewalk.

Edited by feelip
  • Like 1

The only bad thing is now we will have an empty retail spot where Sports Authority was.

did anyone get the free bike?

Were they only giving away one? I know of someone who won a bike, but I'd rather she announced it herself.

Were they only giving away one? I know of someone who won a bike, but I'd rather she announced it herself.

Me too.

DS and I went. I was very pleased to see they carry "Wounded warrior" ware. Under Armor supports this program, and we will have more UA in home because of that.

we went tonight, it is a nice store. I got a new zebra stripe ballpark chair :yahoo: and some other things I needed. It was packed!

They have a reward program, I didn't get the details, but I spend a small fortune on sports crap so I will be looking into. :D

• Like 1

We went this afternoon and was very impressed. However, how can a store, on "Opening Day" mind you, have a lot of clearance items. We saw many clearance items. We found Hubby some shoes, we have been searching for this kind, for about 7 yrs and they were only $20!! :yahoo: :yahoo: We also, got a few more items. The prices are VERY reasonable, too. I jsut hope the store last for a very very long time!!!!

Can't wait to go! Did anyone notice if they had the Elite socks in colors besides black?

Yes, I know they also had them in red and blue.

Yes, I know they also had them in red and blue.

Thanks! Their the latest rage with the middle school boys, they love them.

Thanks! Their the latest rage with the middle school boys, they love them.

How much do they run? 6th grader hasn't said anything about them.

We went this afternoon and was very impressed. However, how can a store, on "Opening Day" mind you, have a lot of clearance items. We saw many clearance items. We found Hubby some shoes, we have been searching for this kind, for about 7 yrs and they were only $20!! :yahoo: :yahoo: We also, got a few more items. The prices are VERY reasonable, too. I jsut hope the store last for a very very long time!!!!

Some clearance items are bought SPECIFICALLY for clearance. The manufacture has over produced and stores will buy in bulk, especially since they have a lot of stores to spread it around in. Sales and clearance items also have to be corporate wide of their advertisements would have to be specialized. Does this make any sense?

• Like 1

How much do they run? 6th grader hasn't said anything about them.

$15 at most sporting goods stores. I think Academy's was $13.

Edited by jmea

That was our question too, however, that is where I got capri Nike workout pants for $9.88 a pair.......worked for both of us I think!! :)

We went yesterday afternoon. We were impressed with the selection, assortment, pricing and friendliness of the staff.

Once we got home we found some clothes did not fit.

We returned this morning to exchange sizes. This visit was equality as good. The exchange process flowed smoothly and we actually ended up buying more than we exchanged.

I think they will do good here.

Maybe the Itilian place (Capalbo's ???) will come back where Sports Authority is now located.

We went yesterday afternoon. We were impressed with the selection, assortment, pricing and friendliness of the staff.

Once we got home we found some clothes did not fit.

We returned this morning to exchange sizes. This visit was equality as good. The exchange process flowed smoothly and we actually ended up buying more than we exchanged.

I think they will do good here.

Maybe the Itilian place (Capalbo's ???) will come back where Sports Authority is now located.

Capalbo's had the best pizza. Yum!!!

They also have clearance items ONLINE, so some of the store items could be from the internet products.

Me too.

DS and I went. I was very pleased to see they carry "Wounded warrior" ware. Under Armor supports this program, and we will have more UA in home because of that.

Good to know, I need a new WW shirt!!

I have been in the one in Macon. Personally I wasn't impressed simply because my sport is fishing and their fishing equipment is very limited. I left the Macon store and went to Bass Pro to get the rod I was looking for.

BUT! If you are looking for sportswear, guns and ammo they are great. I hope they do well but I will continue to buy my tackle from Nature's Tackle Box just down the sidewalk.

Glad I read the reviews. From what I am reading it seems clothing is the big item. I have never visited one of their stores and had pictured them to be similar to the other box store that starts with a big D. I went there a few weeks ago for the second time in my life and will never visit again after buying a couple of hundred dollars of fishing supplies and receiving not even a hello from the staff. I'd love a store nearby with a friendly staff that carries fishing, hunting and a wide variety of camping supplies. I'd prefer privately owned stores, since they seem to actually care about their patrons and know their equipment. I never knew about Nature's Tackle Box, so I will definitely check them out. I used to visit a local fishing supply store back home and enjoyed the personal touch I received. I like selection, knowledge of product and service.

Edited by HiPlainsDrifter

Glad I read the reviews. From what I am reading it seems clothing is the big item. I have never visited one of their stores and had pictured them to be similar to the other box store that starts with a big D. I went there a few weeks ago for the second time in my life and will never visit again after buying a couple of hundred dollars of fishing supplies and receiving not even a hello from the staff. I'd love a store nearby with a friendly staff that carries fishing, hunting and a wide variety of camping supplies. I'd prefer privately owned stores, since they seem to actually care about their patrons and know their equipment. I never knew about Nature's Tackle Box, so I will definitely check them out. I used to visit a local fishing supply store back home and enjoyed the personal touch I received. I like selection, knowledge of product and service.

I had at least 10 associates ask me if I was finding everything, I asked a question in shoes, the girl didn't know the answer and immediately went to her mgr., asked him and came back and told me. I don't believe for a second that that kind of customer service with the volume of employees will the norm after the first few weeks, but if they concentrate on customer service, that is where I will shop. I hate Sports Authority, don't love Dick's (that just doesn't sound right somehow :lol: ), so I hope that they can keep up the good work and be very successful in Paulding county.

Bought one of their deck umbrellas yesterday evening. Went to the back of the store and found some on the shelves that were $5.00 cheaper than the ones in the front of the store. Same brand, style and all. I noticed that several stores do this a lot. Bonus!

Their clothing assortment and outdoor furniture is what we will be going back to next weekend after payday. Great selection, prices and such!

Is Sports Authority out of business?

Or are you just predicting that they will be?

Is Sports Authority out of business?

Or are you just predicting that they will be?

They are still there, but they and Hibbet Sports were empty today.

I wasn't impressed with the size range in the clothing. My top size is hard to find in fitness apparel. However, I quickly found 2 pair of walking/tennis shoes in my hard to find shoe size. :) I was there just before closing, so I didn't have time to browse the rest of the store. Maybe I will have time later this week. I do think my husband will love the store.

1334985116[/url]' post='3627401']

Did anyone notice if they have "Life Is Good" t-shirts with the little guy and/or dog on them?

Yes, they have "Life is Good" t-shirts and hats. Wish they carried "Life is Crap" stuff, too, but I've only found that at a few stores....

we have not been yet... I am glad to hear all the good reviews

I went on Friday and Sunday. I bought 3 shirts on Sunday and dbf bought some stuff for him...

On friday I had a conversation with the manager in the women's workout areas.... letting her know that they needed to order more xl workout stuff. I told her that not everyone working out was an extra small! She said they had a problem with a shipment and it was missing a lot of xl stuff.

I spent a lot of my gift card :good:

I guess I thought it was going to be more then what it was . To me it is a sports authority that sells hand guns. I like "Dicks Sporting goods" better, it has higher end products. Not knocking it, acadamey is a good story to have around, but I guess I was expecting more and the prices weren't as cheap as I thought they would be. They did have allstar rods though, that was cool. It was loaded up with them there rednecks... lol, me being one of them.

• Like 1