Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
LPPT

LSD could help treat alcoholism

Link to story

WASHINGTON: Taking hallucinogenic drug lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) could help alcoholics give up drinking, according to an analysis of studies performed in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

LSD is used mainly as an entheogen, recreational drug, and as an agent in psychedelic therapy.

Several decades ago, a number of clinics used LSD to treat alcoholism with some success.

But until now, no research has pulled together the results of these trials to document exactly how effective LSD was.

Now a new meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials of the drug provides evidence for a clear and consistent beneficial effect of LSD for treating alcohol dependency.

Teri Krebs and Pal-Orjan Johansen, both affiliated with the Department of Neuroscience at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway, spotted a gap in the understanding of LSD's potential for alcoholism treatment during research fellowships at Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.

Krebs and Johansen set out to independently extract data from previous randomised, controlled clinical trials, pooling their results.

They identified six eligible trials, all carried out in the late 1960s and early 1970s. These included 536 participants, the vast majority of whom were male in-patients enrolled in alcohol-focused treatment programs.

While the experiments varied in the dosage used and the type of placebo physicians administered to patients, LSD had a beneficial effect on alcohol misuse in every trial.

LSD?

I was always afraid if it. Take a trip and never come back?

I guess if the alcoholism is just totally wrecking your life, it's worth a try?

I dunno.

It has also been proven to relieve cluster headaches. I have had friends that suffer from cluster headaches and they are apparently one of the most debilitating afflictions out there.

My link

In reality just because a substance is used recreationaly or abused is no reason to not use it medically. Alcoholism destroys the lives of millions of innocent people not just the users.

If there is a chance that a few supervised doses could cure this diseases then I am all for it.

In reality just because a substance is used recreationaly or abused is no reason to not use it medically. Alcoholism destroys the lives of millions of innocent people not just the users.

If there is a chance that a few supervised doses could cure this diseases then I am all for it.

That makes sense.

I just hope people don't start drinking just so the doc will prescribe them LSD. There are many people I could see doing just that.

That makes sense.

I just hope people don't start drinking just so the doc will prescribe them LSD. There are many people I could see doing just that.

I can't really see using it recreationaly, it was quite popular when I was a teen,when people talked about tripping and how out of control they were it scared me.

Of course I don't watch scary movies or like scary rides either.

I have had a little too much to drink on occasion and I find the feeling of being out of control uncomfortable. I have found adding lots of ice and some water to a drink especially in the summer to be quite helpful. :lol: You should see the bartenders face when you ask for a glass of ice water with your wine then pour the wine into the icewater :wacko:

I don't mind relaxing and having a few laughs with friends, but out of control no thanks.

I can't really see using it recreationaly, it was quite popular when I was a teen,when people talked about tripping and how out of control they were it scared me.

Of course I don't watch scary movies or like scary rides either.

I have had a little too much to drink on occasion and I find the feeling of being out of control uncomfortable. I have found adding lots of ice and some water to a drink especially in the summer to be quite helpful. :lol: You should see the bartenders face when you ask for a glass of ice water with your wine then pour the wine into the icewater :wacko:

I don't mind relaxing and having a few laughs with friends, but out of control no thanks.

Funny.

Unless it's a new and improved version then the one from the 50s/ 60s I wouldn't hold out to much hope.

They (the gooberment) tested it with service personal at a place called Edgewood. I went looking for specific information, but couldn't find any thing spcific to LSD only.

This link is only one that I found.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/01/health/human-test-subjects/index.html

From Wiki

In one study in the late 1950s, Dr Humphry Osmond gave LSD to alcoholics in Alcoholics Anonymous who had failed to quit drinking.[14] After one year, around 50% of the study group had not had a drink — a success rate that has never been duplicated by any other means.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_LSD

it works because the blue unicorns drink your alcohol as the room melts around you so there is nothing left to drink!

:rofl:

it works because the blue unicorns drink your alcohol as the room melts around you so there is nothing left to drink!

Sounds more like windowpane, than orange sunshine to me :ninja:

LSD was not invented as a drug to get high on. It was orginally developed for medical purposes.

LSD was not invented as a drug to get high on. It was orginally developed for medical purposes.

Actually I think the development was entirely quite by accident. The first dosing especially was by the inventor, it's a really really amazing read about this drug and the tie-in's with it to human psychology. There was alot of inroads made with psycology and mental physiology and the use of LSD upon chronic mental patients but as with most drugs, it's results vary by individual.

Actually I think the development was entirely quite by accident. The first dosing especially was by the inventor, it's a really really amazing read about this drug and the tie-in's with it to human psychology. There was alot of inroads made with psycology and mental physiology and the use of LSD upon chronic mental patients but as with most drugs, it's results vary by individual.

I guess I was trying to say it wasn't something he was trying to produce to get high. He was doing experments for medical purposes and stumbled upon LSD...and you are right, from what little I know it does have some positive results on some mental patients.

Addiction needs a pacifier.

Just exchanging one for another.

Actually most folks agree LSD is not habit forming

I guess I was trying to say it wasn't something he was trying to produce to get high. He was doing experments for medical purposes and stumbled upon LSD...and you are right, from what little I know it does have some positive results on some mental patients.

Yeah yeah we're on the same page then.

And LSD and other hallucinogenic therapies did have a pronounced effect upon some folks with mental conditions, in some of the tests the results were amazing at how much clairty the patient would experience afterwards. But because the therapies couldn't produce positive results in all the patients it wasn't ever considered viable for any type of treatment.

Also I've heard of folks doing the Ayahuasca therapies in S. America, and it has worked to break certain addictions.

Actually most folks agree LSD is not habit forming

I agree. There is no way you could go through life using LSD on a regular basis.

:lol: :lol: :lol: