6 replies to this topic

#1 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Ok, I have a decent but in somewhat need of repair, wooden deck in the back of my home. This winter there is a woodpecker drilling holes in the supports. I was told by a bug guy to let them be because they are actually festing on insects in the wood (we had wood boring bee issues in Ky last summer)...however this damn thing has a bunch of holes all over the deck. My question is two fold...

1. Do wood-peckers ONLY drill for food?
2. If the answer to 1. is Yes, then what are the odds my deck is infested with these stupid bees?

Posted Image
"If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go....if they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, then send me to hell or Salt Lake City it would be about the same to me." - Uncle Kracker

#2 AustinPlantation

AustinPlantation

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Can't speak to these, but a plastic owl has been successful in keeping them away.

Ok, I have a decent but in somewhat need of repair, wooden deck in the back of my home. This winter there is a woodpecker drilling holes in the supports. I was told by a bug guy to let them be because they are actually festing on insects in the wood (we had wood boring bee issues in Ky last summer)...however this damn thing has a bunch of holes all over the deck. My question is two fold...

1. Do wood-peckers ONLY drill for food?
2. If the answer to 1. is Yes, then what are the odds my deck is infested with these stupid bees?

Mel
-------------------------------------------------------
An optomist may not get there any faster, but he'll enjoy the trip more If you believe you can, you can --- and if you can't, at least you believed you could!

#3 PcsCharli

PcsCharli

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

It's my understanding that they will only drill for food-they actualy hear the insects inside! I would agree that letting them have at it is the best thing, or the insects inside will destroy your deck anyway, and probably a lot faster. It could be termites also.
Have you considered having a pest company come out and check? i'm sure their are ones who will inspect for free. I own a repair and remodeling company, and if you want an inspection from the standpoint of the safety of the structure, we would be happy to come out and take a look-call 770-577-2409

Oh-by the way, we had the most annoying woodpecker that came every day 1st thing is the morning, and hammered at my house near a bedroom window. Woke me up every time. After checking it out, we found termites in the window frame-he gave me an early warning before there was to much damage!!

#4 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Funnel some DMB music out there. They wont be back.

:p

Who is John Galt?

"The government was set to protect man from criminals, and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government." -Ayn Rand

#5 GeorgiaTornado

GeorgiaTornado

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

WoW.... PcsCharli... I didn't know you made house calls to Kentucky?

edit to add... here is a little info from defenders.org
http://www.defenders...woodpeckers.php

Edited by GeorgiaTornado, 05 March 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#6 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• +HELPINGHANDS MPX
  • 10,947 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

WoW.... PcsCharli... I didn't know you made house calls to Kentucky?

edit to add... here is a little info from defenders.org
http://www.defenders...woodpeckers.php

She must have overlooked that small detail. :pardon:
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#7 Pinches Monos

Pinches Monos

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

It's my understanding that they will only drill for food-they actualy hear the insects inside! I would agree that letting them have at it is the best thing, or the insects inside will destroy your deck anyway, and probably a lot faster. It could be termites also.
Have you considered having a pest company come out and check? i'm sure their are ones who will inspect for free. I own a repair and remodeling company, and if you want an inspection from the standpoint of the safety of the structure, we would be happy to come out and take a look-call 770-577-2409

Oh-by the way, we had the most annoying woodpecker that came every day 1st thing is the morning, and hammered at my house near a bedroom window. Woke me up every time. After checking it out, we found termites in the window frame-he gave me an early warning before there was to much damage!!

That is what i was thinking. There are probably termites in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics