19 replies to this topic

#1 ram0265

ram0265

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

My friend will be having her wedding and reception at the Stanley House Inn in Marietta. It will be in May, and is kind of being thrown together late because of how busy she is. I'm getting mixed reviews online, but many are years old. Does anyone have any experience there? I would like to be prepared for any possible problems and the like. Thanks.
If your looking for a good petsitter, I know several and would be happy to give you thier info. Just PM me!

#2 Papi

Papi

Smart Ass

• Membr
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

We went and looked at the place before we decided on the Whitlock Inn. They were very nice. We arrived a little early for our appointment and the lady working there told us we could walk around the place and have a look around. As we walked around checking it out we noticed a few things. First off the place is filthy. It's really chopped up and it just had kind of a cheesy feel to it. Tell her to check out the Whitlock. It's much nicer and around the same cost.
  • Blondiega1 and A Gipper Girl like this

#3 Far West

Far West

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

We went and looked at the place before we decided on the Whitlock Inn. They were very nice. We arrived a little early for our appointment and the lady working there told us we could walk around the place and have a look around. As we walked around checking it out we noticed a few things. First off the place is filthy. It's really chopped up and it just had kind of a cheesy feel to it. Tell her to check out the Whitlock. It's much nicer and around the same cost.

We went to a neighbors wedding at the Whitlock Inn and it was Beautiful!!! I have loved that place ever since.

I do not know about the Stanley House Inn ...are they about the same size?
  • A Gipper Girl likes this

When a Society subsidizes poverty and failure it only gets more of Both! ~ James Davidson

Some minds are like concrete. Thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

#4 Papi

Papi

Smart Ass

• Membr
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

The Stanley House is much smaller and more cramped. The Whitlock is more open and bright. Plus they have the large ballroom on the back of the house.

There is also the Kennesaw Grand in Kennesaw which is very nice too. My daughter got married there.

Edited by Papi, 23 February 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#5 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

As a Marietta Native, I agree with Papi. The Whitlock Inn is MUCH better and priced about the same. Everything Papi said is right, IMO, and also, the guest parking at Whitlock is much more convenient.

Who is John Galt?

"The government was set to protect man from criminals, and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government." -Ayn Rand

#6 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,856 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

The Whitlock is WONDERFUL and has a touch of class to it that the Stanley house doesn't. Like Papi said, there was dust on the flower decorations. There was no big ball room,your guest would be sitting in all different rooms and there's a cheesy "french countryside" looking mural on the wall behind the cake cutting area! Not to mention no parking.

Whitlock has plenty of parking across the street and next door at the bank, the big ball room on the back and was clean and classy!
We got married outside on the back steps. It was perfect! :wub:

The Stanley House is much smaller and more cramped. The Whitlock is more open and bright. Plus they have the large ballroom on the back of the house.

There is also the Kennesaw Grand in Kennesaw which is very nice too. My daughter got married there.

Kennesaw Grand is really nice too! Lot's of open space!
I like the food choices at The Whitlock better. More upscale IMHO.

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#7 Riograce

Riograce

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

I was under the impression that the bride has already *booked* the Stanley House and that other venues aren't really an option. Is that true?

#8 ram0265

ram0265

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

I was under the impression that the bride has already *booked* the Stanley House and that other venues aren't really an option. Is that true?

Yep, already booked. I just wanted to be on the look out for any potential problems. The wedding is in May and we just got the dresses. Invitations haven't been sent, and showers and parties still aren't concrete. Like I said, she is insanely busy because of her job.
If your looking for a good petsitter, I know several and would be happy to give you thier info. Just PM me!

#9 Riograce

Riograce

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Yep, already booked. I just wanted to be on the look out for any potential problems. The wedding is in May and we just got the dresses. Invitations haven't been sent, and showers and parties still aren't concrete. Like I said, she is insanely busy because of her job.

Are you her wedding planner? If so, I'd be concerned about the lack of cleanliness that Papi mentioned, and maybe how to handle the crowd flow since there are apparently several smallish rooms instead of one or two large ones. I'd also be thinking about where guests are going to park, unless the bride is prepared to provide a shuttle bus from a remote parking lot to the venue.

#10 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

I got married at Cedar Plantation in Acworth :wub: beautiful.

#11 Rookie

Rookie

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

I've never been to the Whitlock Inn, but my sister got married at the Stanley House. Of course this was 8 years ago. It was a cute little wedding, but the place was very small. Parking was hard to come by. I was the matron of honor so got dropped off, but I think the fellas and guests had to park somewhere behind the building? I don't remember the place being dirty.

#12 blessedwithboys

blessedwithboys

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

My DS was married at the Stanley house many years ago. It was very nice, wasn't a huge wedding so the size was perfect! It was just beautiful!!!
Delight thyself also in the Lord; And he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalms 37:4 KJV ><((((>

#13 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

Sorry...I didnt realize it is already booked.

I wouldnt worry about the location as a whole. It has that quaint, historic Marietta charm and the potential for great photos there and the surrounding area is a definite plus.

If I were you(or her),I would just have a very direct meeting with the owner, planners and anyone else involved like the caterers to discuss cleanliness, parking(I would go to the surrounding businesses and ask them how the parking works when there is an event there...you'll learn a lot and someone may let you use a few of their spaces), etc and anything else you may be concerned about. You can always go and have a look a couple of days prior to the wedding to make sure they are following up as agreed. Always ASSUME nothing in a case like this one b/c everyones idea of "clean" , "orderly" or "enough parking", etc differs greatly from one person to another.

I dont even think its a bad idea to put something very simple in writing. Even though I'm sure she has signed their contract, if there was to ba a problem, something written always holds up much better than a spoken agreement.

BTW, I would tell them EXACTLY what you have read here about their reputation. It may help a lot if they see it from more than just you, which they could deem as you being "picky". I dont think you are, but it could really help.

Who is John Galt?

"The government was set to protect man from criminals, and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government." -Ayn Rand

#14 ChocoMare

ChocoMare

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Tell your friend, it's worth it to hire Clint Small and his horses/carriage for a nice ride! http://www.yellowrosegeorgia.com/

I used to drive for Clint and can vouch for his professionalism and well-trained horses.
"Without God, not one step. With Him....anywhere!" Dr. David Livingstone

#15 King Tux Rentals

King Tux Rentals

Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm sure that it will be beautiful! It's important to keep a good perspective, because what matters is the life of love that the couple have to offer each other and the celebration of that commitment. In that context, it's bound to be beautiful!
  • AustinPlantation and Magic Mommy like this
Visit our website at http:/kingtuxrentals.com

(678) 401-4999

"Best Service! Best Tuxedos! Best Price! Best Selections!

Why would anyone ever go anywhere else?"

We also sell tuxedos and suits!

King Tux Rentals

2015 Barrett Lakes Blvd. Suite 105

Kennesaw, GA 30144

(678) 401-4999

#16 ram0265

ram0265

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Thanks guys. I'll pass the info on. And I'm not her wedding planner just concerned for her. She doesn't care much about the wedding and is only doing it for her family. She would have had a party in the backyard if it was up to her. I was with her for the wedding dress shopping and she got kinda bulldozed and ended up buying a dress when she was only prepared to look. I know that she was more relieved to just have a place booked and another thing checked off the list more then anything else. While I know the ceromony isn't all that special to her, I don't want it to be a bad experience because we weren't prepared for something.

#17 AustinPlantation

AustinPlantation

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

I highly recommend King Tux. He actually made me look good at my son's wedding --- better than the father of the bride.

I'm sure that it will be beautiful! It's important to keep a good perspective, because what matters is the life of love that the couple have to offer each other and the celebration of that commitment. In that context, it's bound to be beautiful!

Mel
-------------------------------------------------------
An optomist may not get there any faster, but he'll enjoy the trip more If you believe you can, you can --- and if you can't, at least you believed you could!

#18 mm12

mm12

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

our daughter got married at the cedar plantation in acworth. the place is beautiful inside and out . they married in the gazebo outside and the rest of the wedding was inside.huge dance floor beautiful grounds plenty of parking. everything was perfect. i am sure her wedding will be too.

#19 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

our daughter got married at the cedar plantation in acworth. the place is beautiful inside and out . they married in the gazebo outside and the rest of the wedding was inside.huge dance floor beautiful grounds plenty of parking. everything was perfect. i am sure her wedding will be too.

MrB and I married there in 2006. It was beautiful!! We went to a wedding there in 2004, so when we were searching for a venue, we kept going back I that place. :wub:

#20 King Tux Rentals

King Tux Rentals

Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

I highly recommend King Tux. He actually made me look good at my son's wedding --- better than the father of the bride.

Thanks for the good words! You were definitely rockin' that dark grey patterned vest and tie with the black tux!
Visit our website at http:/kingtuxrentals.com

(678) 401-4999

"Best Service! Best Tuxedos! Best Price! Best Selections!

Why would anyone ever go anywhere else?"

We also sell tuxedos and suits!

King Tux Rentals

2015 Barrett Lakes Blvd. Suite 105

Kennesaw, GA 30144

(678) 401-4999

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics