#1 ButterflyLion

ButterflyLion

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Some info on Dysautonomia:

Dysautonomia can affect digestive, skeletal, respiratory and cardiovascular systems.

by ClinicalPosters.com staff

Something is wrong. You know you're sick ...

So why might a physician fail to put the debilitating symptoms together and diagnose dysautonomia?

Complexities of Autonomic Disorders

Dysautonomia literally means dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system (ANS). The ANS controls involuntary bodily synergies between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous symptoms. Necessary involuntary functions include things like heartbeat, breathing, digestion, and body temperature regulation. Studies have also linked the nervous system to the immune system, suggesting a possible correlation between ANS and autoimmune disorders. [6]

In dysautonomia, the ANS does not respond to stimuli appropriately. Dependent upon the patient, either the parasympathetic or sympathetic nervous system can be hyporesponsive or hyperresponsive, often heightened by physiologic and psychologic stress. In those with mitochondrial dysautonomia, mitochondrial dysfunction is believed to cause to the dysautonomia. [7]

Since mitochondria provides a source of energy for cells, fatigue related diseases are common among mitochondrial myopathies. Nerve cells in the brain and muscles require significant energy and are depleted with mitochondrial malfunction. [8] Abnormal regulation of body temperature in mitochondrial disease patients is common, resulting in either a lower or higher baseline body temperature (commonly 96-97 degrees Fahrenheit) or a distinct intolerance to heat or cold. [9]

http://clinicalposte...ndria-pots.html

Love is patient. Love is kind.

1 Corinthians 13:4, GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)

I am not interested in a war of wits where words are used like weapons to wound.

#2 retiredteacher

retiredteacher

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Have you been diagnosed with ANS?

RIP sweet Ashton. We will never forget you.

#3 ButterflyLion

ButterflyLion

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

Have you been diagnosed with ANS?

I started having symptoms from mitral valve prolapse syndrome/dysautonomia years ago. I can tell my autonomic nervous system is overly sensitive. I had a lot of episodes of rapid heartbeat before being diagnosed---and some since. When I was in my 20s I had a episode and went to my doctor's office. My pulse was 190 beats a minute. They called the EMTs who took me to the hospital. They put me in ICU and gave me meds in an iv. It took a while to bring my heart rate down but I got out of ICU the next day and went home shortly afterwards. Inderal helps some, but I would like to find ways to feel better. I feel weak quite often, some days I feel tired but wired.

I am not interested in a war of wits where words are used like weapons to wound.

#4 ButterflyLion

ButterflyLion

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

In recent years there has been more research involving the autonomic nervous system and its relationship to stress and illness. Heartmath is one of the methods that is being used to provide better balance and health.

Does anyone used Heartmath?

#5 ButterflyLion

ButterflyLion

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

I've been have more Dysautonomia symptoms lately and was wondering if anyone else has these and if you've found anything that helped? I googled for info and interestingly this thread came up.

#6 ButterflyLion

ButterflyLion

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

I just found this. It is a online copy of a book. It looks like it has a lot of info. I also wanted to mention that this occurs in children, as well as adults:

NDRF Handbook for Patients with Dysautonomias

NDRF is pleased to make available the NDRF Handbook for Patients with Dysautonomias, written by Dr. David S. Goldstein, MD, PhD and Linda J. Smith. This in-depth guidebook for patients has been made possible with the support of the Medtronic Foundation.

The book can be read and printed on line by following the hyperlinks listed below. You will need the free Adobe Reader program to open the files. You can download this free program by following the link below:

http://www.ndrf.org/NDRFHandbook.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics