• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ReconMom

ReconMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

A friend of mine lives out of county, but is looking at buying a house in the Scoggins district. Anyone have a child there that can give an opinion on the school and teachers? We don't live in that district so I'm no help whatsoever, but I told her I would ask around. P.Com is the best place I can think of to ask... :wub:
Proud Mom Of A US Recon Marine!

#2 zoocrew

zoocrew

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

A friend of mine lives out of county, but is looking at buying a house in the Scoggins district. Anyone have a child there that can give an opinion on the school and teachers? We don't live in that district so I'm no help whatsoever, but I told her I would ask around. P.Com is the best place I can think of to ask... :wub:

All schools are pretty much the same. The income demographics will be the main determination of what is going on in the school.
People. Planet. Profits. In that order.

#3 Just Havin' Fun

Just Havin' Fun

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Before we moved to New Hope my son went to Scoggins and he absolutely loved it!!!! It is a very clean school, he said the teachers really care about the students, and everyone is very helpful. As a parent I liked the school, they were always very helpful and polite. They always seemed to know what was going on and could give me the information I was needing.

#4 GeorgiaTornado

GeorgiaTornado

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

I am a CASA volunteer and I have a child in that school. It seems to be an awesome school for him. I can give you more info privately.

#5 Greatma

Greatma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

All schools are pretty much the same. The income demographics will be the main determination of what is going on in the school.

I disagree

#6 GeorgiaTornado

GeorgiaTornado

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

BRM... I also disagree with Zoo...as usual she is talking out her pie hole again. Evidently she doesn't know a thing about the new middle school.

#7 Oh No Its Me

Oh No Its Me

I'm a ninja!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,821 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

I have a bunch of friends on PTSA over there, I'm sure if they don't reply here I can get an email address for your friend. They usually don't mind answering any questions. :)

If you didn't see it with your own eyes or hear it with you own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

#8 Veritas

Veritas

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

I have a bunch of friends on PTSA over there, I'm sure if they don't reply here I can get an email address for your friend. They usually don't mind answering any questions. :)

And what are the chances that a PTSA parent will say that a school is awful?

Let's face it. Opinions are subjective, anyway.

#9 fishnthec

fishnthec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

I disagree

I disagree too. The income has much less to do with it than parent involvement. The child of an involved parent will have a much better experience at any school regardless of income.

#10 LtD

LtD

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

My child went there the year it opened in her 7th grade year and finished her eight grade year there. GREAT school! Admin was on top of things and the teachers were always willing to help DD. If DD's freshman year is any indication of how well Scoggin's prepared her for high school she's rocking a 4.o and is 29th in a class of 447 at SHPS! :clapping:

#11 gog8tors

gog8tors

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

BRM... I also disagree with Zoo...as usual she is talking out her pie hole again. Evidently she doesn't know a thing about the new middle school.

He's a negative Nelly as usual.

My child attends a different MS, but I have only heard good things about Scoggins. I also agree that parental involvement is the best way to make sure your kid excels.

#12 firehouse

firehouse

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

One of my kids attended Scoggins for 8th the first year they opened, another has been there for 6th - currently in 8th (well, not anymore, we pulled this one out of the school @ the start of the 2nd semester & are now doing GA Virtual Academy- standards without the drama!!) Hopefully its just this class of kids and not the school as a whole but I am dumbfounded by the stories of miscarriages, drugs, sexual activity, bullying & over the top middle school drama my kid has come home with this year. Wow. I am not looking forward to high school if this is what we are going to have to deal with.

I will say the administrators & counselors try. The school is neat & clean. There is good communication. However, there is only so much the school can do when the parents don't take their responsibilities as a parent seriously!!! And to read the PUBLIC facebook profiles of these kids- where are their parents????? Its not the school, its the kids.
  • spunky likes this

#13 Scarlet

Scarlet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

I have heard great things about this school. I know that they have some really great teachers and principals that really care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics