Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
ButterflyLion

D.A.R.E. And Windshield Repairs?

When I was at Kroger today getting gas a D.A.R.E. representative told me they were doing windshield repairs. I had never heard of them doing that, but I found this online:

http://www.dare.com/chip_program.asp

He showed me a couple of tiny places on the passenger's side. I told him I wanted to think about it. Is it good to have really tiny specks repaired?

BL, I've been told that if it is a very small round nick, it isn't a problem. If it looks like a small spider, that is if there are cracks radiating out from the center, then it should be repaired. Many insurance companies cover this repair up to a reasonable limit at 100% with no deductible. Check with yours.

A business / marketing strategy -- affiliate yourself with the DARE program and sell your services as a "safety" check.

What is next? maybe MADD can sponsor oil changes. Of course, they will check the dipstick "free" first.

I do believe this is a scam!!!!!!!!!! What they do is tell you you have a crack or nick, they can repair it for you and bill your insurance for whatever amount they want to charge and then next thing you know, because you have made a claim your insurance can go up. The "FIX" really was nothing more than a bandaid. They did not FIX anything, more than liklely and the D.A.R.E. Program in Douglasville said they were NOT Sponsoring this group nor were they Affiliated with this group, When this happend to my son-n-law a few months ago.

I do believe this is a scam!!!!!!!!!! What they do is tell you you have a crack or nick, they can repair it for you and bill your insurance for whatever amount they want to charge and then next thing you know, because you have made a claim your insurance can go up. The "FIX" really was nothing more than a bandaid. They did not FIX anything, more than liklely and the D.A.R.E. Program in Douglasville said they were NOT Sponsoring this group nor were they Affiliated with this group, When this happend to my son-n-law a few months ago.

They were at the Kroger gas pumps on Ridge Road yesterday (a Dougasville address). I wonder who approved them to be there?

According to the Dare website, the national DARE group is affiliated with Chipio, a national windshield repair company, and are sponsoring the campaign to raise money. I would imagine that Chipio keeps the biggest chunk of the money though.

If you are concerned about this operation, then you can go to any reputable windshield replacement company and have them check out your windshield. Most of them do repairs also. Expect to pay from $25 to $50 for a quality repair, and about $20 more per additional chip. Many of them will come to you.

Look up Windshield Replacement and Repair in your area.

A business / marketing strategy -- affiliate yourself with the DARE program and sell your services as a "safety" check.

What is next? maybe MADD can sponsor oil changes. Of course, they will check the dipstick "free" first.

ha ha...

i see the sarcasm --- what does D.A.R.E (drug abuse resistance education) have to do with windshield chips or a windshield safety check?

BL, I've been told that if it is a very small round nick, it isn't a problem. If it looks like a small spider, that is if there are cracks radiating out from the center, then it should be repaired. Many insurance companies cover this repair up to a reasonable limit at 100% with no deductible. Check with yours.

Thanks. I hadn't noticed anything before. I wonder how many people they told their windshield didn't need repaired though.

According to the Dare website, the national DARE group is affiliated with Chipio, a national windshield repair company, and are sponsoring the campaign to raise money. I would imagine that Chipio keeps the biggest chunk of the money though.

If you are concerned about this operation, then you can go to any reputable windshield replacement company and have them check out your windshield. Most of them do repairs also. Expect to pay from $25 to $50 for a quality repair, and about $20 more per additional chip. Many of them will come to you.

Look up Windshield Replacement and Repair in your area.

When I called the Douglasville City Police, they said they knew nothing about these two men. Also, "IF" they were really with the D.A.R.E. Program they should have been dressed a little better than wearing nasty old sweat pants and a t-shirt. They sent an Officer out to see what they were doing. I don't know what transpired between them. I know, we will not be talking to them!!! I just might even put something over the VIN in our cars.

When I called the Douglasville City Police, they said they knew nothing about these two men. Also, "IF" they were really with the D.A.R.E. Program they should have been dressed a little better than wearing nasty old sweat pants and a t-shirt. They sent an Officer out to see what they were doing. I don't know what transpired between them. I know, we will not be talking to them!!! I just might even put something over the VIN in our cars.

Like the cops know everything. You are always so negative.

From www.dare.com THE WEBSITE FOR D.A.R.E.

Thank you for your interest in the D.A.R.E. To Be Driving Safe – Campaign. We work closely with Chipio Auto Glass who has developed a safety program in conjunction with D.A.R.E. in an effort to promote driving safety and awareness.

Specially selected and trained Chipio representatives, across the United States, are conducting free windshield safety inspection events at stores and malls near you.

• Like 1

The one that talked to me at Kroger was dressed neatly and had a shirt on that said D.A.R.E., but I hadn't heard of the program before. He pointed out a couple of really tiny nicks. I did wonder how much my insurance would be billed, etc.

This is from the Chipio website.

We are presently working with, helping and impressing over 100 carwashes and service stations across the country.

We are a perfect addition to your station with the convenience of windshield chip repairs performed while your customers wait. Although the repair is only a short 15 minutes it still allows the customer time to get “impulsed” by any of the other merchandise and services your shop may offer. This even further increases your total profits.

The glass company I own does chip repairs. We do hundreds of them every year. I think we did 3 just yesterday. Here are the facts about auto glass repair/replacement as far as insurance is concerned. That coverage is part of your comprehensive policy. With the notable exception of StateFarm, all insurance companies will waive your deductible for a chip repair and pay the shop directly at a previously agreed upon rate. I get paid anywhere from $50 to $65 per chip, depending on the carrier. There are no insurance carriers that I know of that will approve a repair without first having talked to the motorist. I do not know how that "Chipio" bunch is getting paid by the insurance companies, but I do know that the glass industry message boards are full of very negative comments about "Chipio" and their tactics.

Repairing or replacing a piece of auto glass will not increase your premiums, as the insured wasn't at fault because of a road hazard. (Now, if an angry spouse takes a ball bat to your windshield, you may have a tough time convincing the ins company that it was a road hazard.)

My techs have gone to training classes on the proper techniques to use to insure a good repair. We will not do a repair if the impact point is in the driver's critical vision area, meaning the foot square area directly above the top of the steering wheel. Repairs are designed to be structural, that is, to prevent the crack from spreading. At the very best, the glass will have a distorted, smeary area (like a fingerprint) at the point of the repair. Don't ever expect a repair to be cosmetically perfect.

Your windshield is laminated, that is, two thin layers of glass with a clear plastic film in between. Impacts that take a "divot", a shallow pit out of the outer layer can be filled (sometimes) with a resin we call pit healer. It usually won't stay fixed long, and we don't recommend even doing it. If there are tiny cracks (stars) emanating from the impact area, a repair is indicated. We use a tiny diamond drill to clean out the outer layer of glass at the impact point down to the laminate plastic. We put a vacuum pump over the tiny hole and get all the debris out of the hole. Then we inject a clear resin into the hole under enough pressure to cause the resin to fill the star cracks. Too much pressure will cause the cracks to run further, It's a delicate balance of speed, viscosity of the resin, and pressure to get the cracks filled. The resin cures with UV light in about 10-20 minutes, and the repair is done.

There is a possibility that an attempted repair will cause the windshield to crack out while the repair is in progress. We have a disclaimer that we have customers sign that acknowledges that possibility. If it should happen, we will apply the cost of the repair toward a replacement windshield. I think that has happened to us once in the past two years.

• Like 3

The glass company I own does chip repairs. We do hundreds of them every year. I think we did 3 just yesterday. Here are the facts about auto glass repair/replacement as far as insurance is concerned. That coverage is part of your comprehensive policy. With the notable exception of StateFarm, all insurance companies will waive your deductible for a chip repair and pay the shop directly at a previously agreed upon rate. I get paid anywhere from $50 to $65 per chip, depending on the carrier. There are no insurance carriers that I know of that will approve a repair without first having talked to the motorist. I do not know how that "Chipio" bunch is getting paid by the insurance companies, but I do know that the glass industry message boards are full of very negative comments about "Chipio" and their tactics.

Repairing or replacing a piece of auto glass will not increase your premiums, as the insured wasn't at fault because of a road hazard. (Now, if an angry spouse takes a ball bat to your windshield, you may have a tough time convincing the ins company that it was a road hazard.)

My techs have gone to training classes on the proper techniques to use to insure a good repair. We will not do a repair if the impact point is in the driver's critical vision area, meaning the foot square area directly above the top of the steering wheel. Repairs are designed to be structural, that is, to prevent the crack from spreading. At the very best, the glass will have a distorted, smeary area (like a fingerprint) at the point of the repair. Don't ever expect a repair to be cosmetically perfect.

Your windshield is laminated, that is, two thin layers of glass with a clear plastic film in between. Impacts that take a "divot", a shallow pit out of the outer layer can be filled (sometimes) with a resin we call pit healer. It usually won't stay fixed long, and we don't recommend even doing it. If there are tiny cracks (stars) emanating from the impact area, a repair is indicated. We use a tiny diamond drill to clean out the outer layer of glass at the impact point down to the laminate plastic. We put a vacuum pump over the tiny hole and get all the debris out of the hole. Then we inject a clear resin into the hole under enough pressure to cause the resin to fill the star cracks. Too much pressure will cause the cracks to run further, It's a delicate balance of speed, viscosity of the resin, and pressure to get the cracks filled. The resin cures with UV light in about 10-20 minutes, and the repair is done.

There is a possibility that an attempted repair will cause the windshield to crack out while the repair is in progress. We have a disclaimer that we have customers sign that acknowledges that possibility. If it should happen, we will apply the cost of the repair toward a replacement windshield. I think that has happened to us once in the past two years.

With any claim on your insurance policy, you take the chance of higher rates and maybe being dropped altogether. These are the same companies that will raise your rates if you have a lowered FICO score.

Quite simply put, your insurance rates are based upon your individual risk of making a significant payable claim or a string of smaller claims. People with low FICO scores make more insurance claims and they are more costly. People who have suffered one slightly cracked windshield in 10 years don't. This should not raise your rates unless it's your third claim this year or something of that sort.

Insurance companies offer this because crack repairs are a lot less expensive for them than a new windshield, and driving with a cracked windshield can be a safety hazard that can cause a chargeable accident. They don't do it to ding you with higher rates.

• Like 1

Quite simply put, your insurance rates are based upon your individual risk of making a significant payable claim or a string of smaller claims. People with low FICO scores make more insurance claims and they are more costly. People who have suffered one slightly cracked windshield in 10 years don't. This should not raise your rates unless it's your third claim this year or something of that sort.

Insurance companies offer this because crack repairs are a lot less expensive for them than a new windshield, and driving with a cracked windshield can be a safety hazard that can cause a chargeable accident. They don't do it to ding you with higher rates.

and how would this explain allstate dropping their customers for not having both their car insurance and home insurance together with them? ---- 46,000 in north carolina alone

because they do not bundle, does this mean they are more likely to file claims?

link:

http://www.news-record.com/content/2012/01/03/article/allstate_canceling_nc_homeowners_policies_not_bundled_with_car_insurance

Clark Howard mentions a risk of an increase in insurance premiums:

Posted: 12:00 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010

Damaged windshield ploy is fastest growing insurance scam

The Sun Sentinel reports the fastest growing insurance scam involves con artists approaching motorists in parking lots and offering to fix a supposedly damaged windshield -- without involving insurance or requiring you to pay a deductible.

The scamsters will tell you about a barely visible crack in your windshield that threatens to burst wide open. The National Insurance Crime Bureau reports this scam is up more than 500 percent from a year ago.

Now, you may ask, "What do I care if I don't have to pay a deductible?" Well, in most states, a claim like this against your insurance would harm you and likely raise your premium down the road. In addition, The Sun Sentinel reports the scamsters are often replacing perfectly good windshields with inferior-grade products.

Depending on their laws, some states may also consider you a co-conspirator if you fall for this scam. You could find yourself charged with an act of fraud!

Remember, you ...

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/insurance/damaged-windshield-ploy-is-fastest-growing-insuran/nFTX/

and how would this explain allstate dropping their customers for not having both their car insurance and home insurance together with them? ---- 46,000 in north carolina alone

link:

http://www.news-reco...h_car_insurance

I think it is all those regulations that everyone complains about ... :)

Notably, insurance companies - which are key players in the financial services industry - are treated especially well by government just like others in the financial field.

For instance, while it would be a criminal offense for your local Citgo, Exxon and Mobile retailers or wholesalers to sit around and decide how much to charge for a gallon of gasoline wholesale, insurance companies are pretty much exempt from rules regarding collusion as well as enjoying some anti-trust protections.

Insurance companies can do price fixing, etc. with general impunity as they've successfully lobbyied to keep exemptions granted by a federal law passed in the 1930s (McCarran-Ferguson Act ).

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2009/10/why_are_insurers_exempt_from_a.html

pubby

Apples and Oranges.

Homeowners are, generally speaking, better insurance risks than renters. Older, more stable, etc.

In addition, having one customer with multiple policies gives a lower administrative cost to the company. If the company (any company) wants to place requirements on what risks they are willing to insure, that is their right. I've had USAA for nearly 30 years, and just recently they refused to renew my motorcycle policy, as they were not going to insure anything in that particular market in the future.

I deal with insurance companies every day to get auto glass claims resolved. Based on what I see from my side of the counter, the absolute last company I would buy insurance from is Allstate. They are impossible to deal with both as a vendor and as an insured. They deny claims that any other company wouldn't even question, and they are the slowest paying.

Apples and Oranges.

Homeowners are, generally speaking, better insurance risks than renters. Older, more stable, etc.

In addition, having one customer with multiple policies gives a lower administrative cost to the company. If the company (any company) wants to place requirements on what risks they are willing to insure, that is their right. I've had USAA for nearly 30 years, and just recently they refused to renew my motorcycle policy, as they were not going to insure anything in that particular market in the future.

I deal with insurance companies every day to get auto glass claims resolved. Based on what I see from my side of the counter, the absolute last company I would buy insurance from is Allstate. They are impossible to deal with both as a vendor and as an insured. They deny claims that any other company wouldn't even question, and they are the slowest paying.

not really -- the other poster said "Quite simply put, your insurance rates are based upon your individual risk of making a significant payable claim or a string of smaller claims."

there is no additional risk to pay claims by the insurance company to people that split asset coverages and shop around for the best rates. These companies (not just allstate) want you to bundle all your insurance together so to increase their profits, not to be worried the customer's best interest.

As far as claims affecting rates, when was the last time you shopped for auto insurance? One of the questions on the application is have you had any tickets, accidents, or claims in the past 3 years? (some companies want to know 5 years).

Are you saying that a chip is not considered a claim? or that it does not appear in the national insurance databases such as ChoicePoint's CLUE database?

--- (even if you do not make a claim, your phone call to your company asking questions about a house or vehicle issue is documented & reported)

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs26-CLUE.htm

I would never in a million years accept the services of anyone who approached me at a gas station, especially ones offering to 'bill my insurance company'. Even if is isn't a scam of some sort, that is where my mind would immediately go. And you can have anything printed on a shirt.

The one that talked to me at Kroger was dressed neatly and had a shirt on that said D.A.R.E., but I hadn't heard of the program before. He pointed out a couple of really tiny nicks. I did wonder how much my insurance would be billed, etc.

Yet the nammering nabob of negativism read nasty sweat pants and t-shirts.