27 replies to this topic

#1 zoocrew

zoocrew

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

This is my favorite wine! It can go with many different dishes and the Northwestern US (Oregon and Washington) have some WONDERFUL piniot noir wineries, whilst the French burgandy region also produces some first class wines.

My Link

#2 Wineguy

Wineguy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

I love Pinot Noir's. I agree Northwest has some great ones, but Sonoma and other parts of Cali have some great ones as well. Edna Valley and MacMurray Ranch are two of my favorites.

Follow me on TWITTER: @Wayner83

#3 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,875 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

Rex Goliath makes a real nice Pinot noir for under $10.

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#4 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,326 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

What about Pinot Grigio? I got some this weekend but I haven't tried it yet.

I'm so boring. I drank White Zefindale forever, some Riesling and then I got into an Italian Mercado that was bubbly that I loved. Can't remember the name.

I used to couldn't stand white wine because what I chose was so dry but now there are so many choices and they're good.

Back in the day I would buy a red wine and cut it with Sprite or 7-Up and make a spritzer. LOL
  • Just Denise likes this

#5 Wineguy

Wineguy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

What about Pinot Grigio? I got some this weekend but I haven't tried it yet.

I'm so boring. I drank White Zefindale forever, some Riesling and then I got into an Italian Mercado that was bubbly that I loved. Can't remember the name.

I used to couldn't stand white wine because what I chose was so dry but now there are so many choices and they're good.

Back in the day I would buy a red wine and cut it Sprite or 7-Up and make a spritzer. LOL

You should try this new wine by Turning Leaf, it is called Turning Leaf Refresh Crisp White. It is lightly bubbly like the Moscato, and is a little sweet, but it has the refreshing feeling of a spritzer. They have it for like 6 dollars at Kroger and Walmart.

#6 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,326 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

You should try this new wine by Turning Leaf, it is called Turning Leaf Refresh Crisp White. It is lightly bubbly like the Moscato, and is a little sweet, but it has the refreshing feeling of a spritzer. They have it for like 6 dollars at Kroger and Walmart.

Thanks, I'll pick some up...I wrote it down!

I plan on enjoying the holidays, I've got some Spanish Sangria as well.

Sam's really has a big selection of wines as well...cheap!

#7 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

Thanks, I'll pick some up...I wrote it down!

I plan on enjoying the holidays, I've got some Spanish Sangria as well.

Sam's really has a big selection of wines as well...cheap!

I bet you'd also REALLY enjoy a Moscato wine, LR. It is white and sweet(but not too sweet). I have served this many times to people who were afraid to try a new wine for fear of it being dry. This one isnt dry. It's light and crisp and the flavors linger. I think Cupcake has a wonderful moscato and is usually under $9 a bottle. You could also try the Barefoot moscato. Cheap but doesnt taste cheap and a great way to venture out a little in your wine tasting.

Who is John Galt?

"The government was set to protect man from criminals, and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government." -Ayn Rand

#8 Wineguy

Wineguy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

I bet you'd also REALLY enjoy a Moscato wine, LR. It is white and sweet(but not too sweet). I have served this many times to people who were afraid to try a new wine for fear of it being dry. This one isnt dry. It's light and crisp and the flavors linger. I think Cupcake has a wonderful moscato and is usually under $9 a bottle. You could also try the Barefoot moscato. Cheap but doesnt taste cheap and a great way to venture out a little in your wine tasting.

Ecco Domani and Mirrasou both are also great Moscato's under 10 dollars.

#9 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

Ecco Domani and Mirrasou both are also great Moscato's under 10 dollars.

Either one of those in the cobalt blue bottle? I can never remember the name but its very good. Seems to usually be in the $15 range but worth it!

Who is John Galt?

"The government was set to protect man from criminals, and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government." -Ayn Rand

#10 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,326 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

I do!!! I love Moscato.... See post #4.

I used to get it at Highlands Liquor store for $18, but Sam's has it for $10....and I forget the brand but it is yummy.

It's a great dessert wine!
  • A Gipper Girl likes this

#11 Wineguy

Wineguy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

I do!!! I love Moscato.... See post #4.

I used to get it at Highlands Liquor store for $18, but Sam's has it for $10....and I forget the brand but it is yummy.

It's a great dessert wine!

That is Beviamo Moscato D Asti. Ecco Domani is coming out in January and will also be in a Cobalt blue bottle and be from the same region as Beviamo, but at $9 a bottle.

#12 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,326 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

So........what about the Pinot Grigio? Is it good?

I have a bottle in the fridge.

Open it and drink it?? :rofl:

#13 Wineguy

Wineguy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

So........what about the Pinot Grigio? Is it good?

I have a bottle in the fridge.

Open it and drink it?? :rofl:

I absolutely love Pinot Grigio's. Which one do you have? There is a big difference between American and Italian.

#14 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,326 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

Ummm, it was cheap at Walmart.

I think Barefoot? Not sure, I'm upstairs but I think that's it.

Which is better, the Italian?

Is it dry, it actually looks a little bubbly when you move it.

#15 Wineguy

Wineguy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:28 PM

Barefoot is the number 1 Pinot Grigio in the country. For the price it is the best you can get. Italian is good if it is higher priced, but California is more refreshing. I love me some Barefoot. I am actually drinking a glass of Barefoot Zinfandel right now. (Not White Zinfandel). They are also the most Philanthropic winery in the world as well. They raise over 15 million dollars each year for various charities as well as support numerous charity events and sponsor over 200 beach cleanups across the country every year. I have been to three cleanups in Georgia over the last two years.

Edited by Wineguy, 21 December 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#16 zoocrew

zoocrew

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

I like the Lazy River Pinot Noir from Oregon and the Domaine Serene. Both are very good. So is the Ponzi.

My favorite is the Domaine Drouh and the Bethel Heights but those are $50 bottles and so I only have those once a month or so for special parties.

#17 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,326 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

Barefoot is the number 1 Pinot Grigio in the country. For the price it is the best you can get. Italian is good if it is higher priced, but California is more refreshing. I love me some Barefoot. I am actually drinking a glass of Barefoot Zinfandel right now. (Not White Zinfandel)

Cool!

So I've got a good selection.

I'll pick up that Turning Leaf you told me about tomorrow.

I'm going to Sam's just to look, they may have it.

We always get champagne for New Year's eve. (And it won't be Dom Perignon LOL)

#18 stercus tauri

stercus tauri

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

I like the Lazy River Pinot Noir from Oregon and the Domaine Serene. Both are very good. So is the Ponzi.

My favorite is the Domaine Drouh and the Bethel Heights but those are $50 bottles and so I only have those once a month or so for special parties.

$50 per bottle!?!?!?! For a bottle of wine?

My limit is $30 on a VERY special night.

#19 zoocrew

zoocrew

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

$50 per bottle!?!?!?! For a bottle of wine?

My limit is $30 on a VERY special night.

I have several bottles that I've picked up the last several years as gifts, all in the $50 to $75 per bottle range. I only use those for special events, like parties or with special friends.

For everyday drinking, I have found the red blends are worth considering and my husband keeps 4 or 5 bottles of various reds on hand in case friends drop by.

Whites. I don't particularly like them though I will have a Sauvignon blanc with seafood.

#20 Wineguy

Wineguy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

Cool!

So I've got a good selection.

I'll pick up that Turning Leaf you told me about tomorrow.

I'm going to Sam's just to look, they may have it.

We always get champagne for New Year's eve. (And it won't be Dom Perignon LOL)

You should pick up the Barefoot Bubbly Moscato Spumante or Barefoot Bubbly Pink Moscato. They have them at all Walmarts and Publix for about $7. We had the Moscato Spumante at my wedding and New Years last year. EVERYONE LOVES IT. But the Pink Moscato just came out a few months ago.

These are sparkling Moscato wines. They don't have any of them at Sam's. They have a love affair with Sutter Home and Woodbridge for some reason. Gallo Family Vineyards and Liberty Creek are cheaper and better than Sutter Home IMHO, and Barefoot is hands down better than Woodbridge.

I have several bottles that I've picked up the last several years as gifts, all in the $50 to $75 per bottle range. I only use those for special events, like parties or with special friends.

For everyday drinking, I have found the red blends are worth considering and my husband keeps 4 or 5 bottles of various reds on hand in case friends drop by.

Whites. I don't particularly like them though I will have a Sauvignon blanc with seafood.

Have you tried Apothic Red Blend yet? I keep about 4-6 bottles on hand of it at all times. lol

#21 zoocrew

zoocrew

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

You should pick up the Barefoot Bubbly Moscato Spumante or Barefoot Bubbly Pink Moscato.  They have them at all Walmarts and Publix for about $7.  We had the Moscato Spumante at my wedding and New Years last year.  EVERYONE LOVES IT.  But the Pink Moscato just came out a few months ago.

These are sparkling Moscato wines.  They don't have any of them at Sam's.  They have a love affair with Sutter Home and Woodbridge for some reason.  Gallo Family Vineyards and Liberty Creek are cheaper and better than Sutter Home IMHO, and Barefoot is hands down better than Woodbridge.

Have you tried Apothic Red Blend yet?  I keep about 4-6 bottles on hand of it at all times. lol

I have seen it in the stores (like Kroger) but have never tried it. My husband has threatened to get it so he can drink it after the good stuff is gone on a party night with friends. So I assume it is good, fair, awful? 

One of my favorite blends is a French table wine that I managed to get a case of several years ago. It is not available here and is not appelation controll grade, but it is tremendous. Don't ask me how I managed to get the case in the country or delivered. I would end up on the National Security Agency Watch List if I'm not careful.

#22 Wineguy

Wineguy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

I have seen it in the stores (like Kroger) but have never tried it. My husband has threatened to get it so he can drink it after the good stuff is gone on a party night with friends. So I assume it is good, fair, awful? 

One of my favorite blends is a French table wine that I managed to get a case of several years ago. It is not available here and is not appelation controll grade, but it is tremendous. Don't ask me how I managed to get the case in the country or delivered. I would end up on the National Security Agency Watch List if I'm not careful.

HAHAHA. The owner of my company is married to the owner of the largest winery in France. Needless to say there is some good French wine in there home I'm sure.

But as for Apothic, I absolutely love it. It is the number 1 red wine in the state of Georgia. Not just red blends, but out of all red wines it is the number 1. I am an Analyst for a major winery, so all i do all day is look at sales trends for wine in grocery stores. I always know what is selling best and where to find it for cheap, lol.

#23 stercus tauri

stercus tauri

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

You should pick up the Barefoot Bubbly Moscato Spumante or Barefoot Bubbly Pink Moscato. They have them at all Walmarts and Publix for about $7. We had the Moscato Spumante at my wedding and New Years last year. EVERYONE LOVES IT. But the Pink Moscato just came out a few months ago.

These are sparkling Moscato wines. They don't have any of them at Sam's. They have a love affair with Sutter Home and Woodbridge for some reason. Gallo Family Vineyards and Liberty Creek are cheaper and better than Sutter Home IMHO, and Barefoot is hands down better than Woodbridge.

Have you tried Apothic Red Blend yet? I keep about 4-6 bottles on hand of it at all times. lol

Apothic Red! That is one I've tried. A few weeks ago I was at Total Wine and one of the associates there suggested it. Said it was "different" and he was not lying. I actually liked it but it took a glass or two to get the feel of it.

I had never heard of it until we tried it for Thanksgiving. I think I may get another bottle since it is more in my price range, too. Less than $10 is always good for a good wine.

#24 stercus tauri

stercus tauri

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

HAHAHA. The owner of my company is married to the owner of the largest winery in France. Needless to say there is some good French wine in there home I'm sure.

But as for Apothic, I absolutely love it. It is the number 1 red wine in the state of Georgia. Not just red blends, but out of all red wines it is the number 1. I am an Analyst for a major winery, so all i do all day is look at sales trends for wine in grocery stores. I always know what is selling best and where to find it for cheap, lol.

Are you pulling my leg? It is the number one red wine in GA? Then maybe I either have good taste or everyone in Georgia has awful taste. I did like it but am I wrong when I say it is different? It has a different taste at the end that I am not used to. Almost a plum and vanilla but not like any I've had before.

#25 zoocrew

zoocrew

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

HAHAHA.  The owner of my company is married to the owner of the largest winery in France.  Needless to say there is some good French wine in there home I'm sure.  

But as for Apothic, I absolutely love it.  It is the number 1 red wine in the state of Georgia.  Not just red blends, but out of all red wines it is the number 1.  I am an Analyst for a major winery, so all i do all day is look at sales trends for wine in grocery stores.  I always know what is selling best and where to find it for cheap, lol.

If you have some good French wines, may I invite my husband and mysellf to a get together at your house? Or maybe we can do a dinner at our place? Maybe I can bring some more friends and we can do a wine and dinner party? I can supply the food and some of the wine if you can supply some other wines and good company.

#26 stercus tauri

stercus tauri

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

If you have some good French wines, may I invite my husband and mysellf to a get together at your house? Or maybe we can do a dinner at our place? Maybe I can bring some more friends and we can do a wine and dinner party? I can supply the food and some of the wine if you can supply some other wines and good company.

Can I get in on this deal too? I may be cheap on the wine but I can bring some food and more conversation.

#27 ApolloBeachRetiree

ApolloBeachRetiree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,873 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:59 AM

This is my favorite wine! It can go with many different dishes and the Northwestern US (Oregon and Washington) have some WONDERFUL piniot noir wineries, whilst the French burgandy region also produces some first class wines.

My Link

I love Pinot Noirs but stick to those from Italy and sometimes France.

Hillary was a terrible candidate. Plain and simple.

The Hildabeast IS a despicable CESSPOOL of CORRUPTION.

#28 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:42 AM

I love pinot grigio and noir. If a recipe calls for white wine, I use pinot grigio. It's so light and crisp. Not a fan of chardonnay-its too buttery and heavy for me. I love both Cupcake pinot's.

Who is John Galt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics